RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Ste's Fantasy Football game!

9 months ago

Hi folks. This game is a "perk" we had for Supporters but it was agreed to open it up to everyone this year. However Im putting a max of 12 players in for this season because if too many play filling out your squad of 14 becomes a problem!

The rules are fairly similar to most FF games but with a few little tweaks and the busiest part is before the season even starts, with "player drafts" and "sealed bids" to build up your own teams squad. So if you cant commit to the game over the next week or so, please dont sign up.

First thing to say is you need to get organised, with a spreadsheet or at least pen & paper, to keep track of your buys/bids and money spent, as there are grave penalties for spending too much money or not having a full squad at the end of the auction!

RULES - LONG VERSION

(1) YOU HAVE A KITTY OF £100m AND YOU MUST SELECT A SQUAD OF 14 PLAYERS WHICH MUST CONSIST OF :
1 “TEAM” KEEPER (e.g. you pick "United Keepers" rather than just "de Gea")
5 DEFENDERS
5 MIDFIELDERS
3 FORWARDS.

(2) YOUR TEAM (Starting XI) MUST CONSIST OF A 4-4-2 FORMATION AND THEREFORE THERE IS ONE "RESERVE" PLAYER FOR EACH POSITION (you don’t need a reserve keeper as you buy a team’s squad of keepers so whoever plays for your team automatically plays in your fantasy team)

(3) INJURED, SUSPENDED OR OTHERWISE NOT SELECTED 'FIRST-TEAM' PLAYERS WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE REPLACED BY YOUR 'RESERVE' PLAYER FOR THAT POSITION.

(4) 12 TRANSFERS ARE AVAILABLE DURING THE SEASON AND AFTER THE INITIAL PLAYER AUCTION THERE WILL BE 5-6 "TRANSFER WINDOWS" (dates to follow). IT'S IMPORTANT THEREFORE TO PICK YOUR SQUAD WISELY AND USE YOUR TRANSFERS SPARINGLY AS ONCE THEY ARE USED NO FURTHER TRANSFERS WILL BE ALLOWED!

(5) POINTS ARE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS:-

2pts ANY PLAYER STARTING A GAME AND PLAYING AT LEAST 45 mins.
1pt ANY PLAYER MAKING AN APPEARANCE OF ANY OTHER KIND
4pts A GOAL SCORED BY A FORWARD
5pts A GOAL SCORED BY AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER (AM)
6pts A GOAL SCORED BY A MIDFIELDER
10pts A GOAL SCORED BY A DEFENDER/KEEPER
2pts AN ASSIST
4pts AN ASSIST BY A DEFENDER/KEEPER
4pts CLEAN-SHEET FOR A DEFENDER/KEEPER (must start and play 75mins +)
3pts BONUS POINTS FOR A HAT-TRICK
-1pt EACH GOAL CONCEDED BY A DEFENDER/KEEPER
-2pts A PLAYER SCORING AN OWN-GOAL
-6pts A PLAYER SENT OFF
1pt GOALKEEPER SAVING A PENALTY (saved, but not off-target misses)
-1pt PLAYER MISSING A PENALTY (saved or off-target)

(6a) DEFINITION OF AN ASSIST - ANY TOUCH (NO MATTER HOW SMALL) BY A TEAMMATE IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO THE SCORER SCORING.
(6b) DEFINTION OF A GOAL/OWN GOAL- A DEFLECTED SHOT THAT WAS ON TARGET BEFORE DEFLECTION IS A GOAL.
A SHOT OFF-TARGET THAT’S DEFLECTED IN IS AN OWN GOAL, WITH AN ASSIST TO THE SHOOTER.

[RULES 6a and 6b ARE BASED ON MY JUDGMENT REGARDLESS OF ANY ‘OFFICIAL’ RULING BY PL/FA etc.]

(7) YOU CAN SELL/BUY PLAYERS DURING THE TRANSFER WINDOWS. THIS IS ALSO WHEN YOU CAN MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR STARTING XI. YOU CAN ARRANGE DEALS WITH OTHER MANAGERS, OR YOU CAN SELL A PLAYER BACK TO "THE BANK" FOR 3/4 OF WHAT YOU PAID FOR HIM.

THERE IS ALSO A CUP COMPETITION WHICH SHADOWS REAL F.A. CUP TIES BASED ON THE WHOLE OF YOUR SQUADS PERFORMANCE IN THOSE GAMES, AS OPPOSED TO YOUR STARTING XI, SO BE SURE TO PICK A WELL-BALANCED SQUAD OF 14 IF YOU WANT TO PROGRESS IN THE CUP.

ASSIGNING PLAYERS – THE DRAFT

We will be using a draft to select the first 4 players in everyone’s squad.There is a separate thread explaining how the draft works for those unfamiliar with draft systems. This needs to take place on a date when as many competing managers as possible can be around at the same time The plan at present is for it to take place around 10pm-ish on SATURDAY 6 AUGUST (speak now if this is bad for you!!! As a last resort you can leave an ordinal lists of bid preferences with me but please try to be here yourself!)
For transfer value purposes, each of your 4 draft picks will cost you nothing but will have a nominal value of £10m if you sell him (i.e. you would get £8m in your kitty when you sell him to the bank)

SEALED BIDS

At this stage you can "buy" ANY other PL player, not already taken in the draft, by making a “sealed bid”. This is just a PM to me stating player wanted and how much of your remaining funds you want to bid for him (you will still have £100m at this stage as Draft players are 'free'). Your PM should contain the Players Name in the title and the text only needs to tell me the value of your sealed bid for him.

WARNING: Please ensure that you do NOT exceed your overall budget of £100m for your squad!! I will be keeping a check on how much each manager has spent on his squad but remember you MUST have 14 players or your squad will be invalid; so if for example you only have 9 players at the end of the Player Auction you must make sure your total bid on those 9 players does not exceed £90m, as you will need £10m in reserve to buy your 5 "make up numbers" players at £2m each at the final "TOP-UP" stage (see below).
You should be keeping some sort of record on how much you have spent after each time you make a bid.

There are no other limitations on who you can or cant buy other than the £100m limit. You can blow nearly all your money on 2-3 massive signings and have lots of “make up the numbers” players at the end @ £2m each. A more pragmatic approach would be to aim to spend around £8m on each player and have a very balanced squad. A course somewhere between those 2 extremes is probably the way to go but that is where your own strategy comes into play.

Plan at present is for the window for Sealed Bids to close at 10pm on TUESDAY 9th AUGUST.

TOP-UPS
At this stage any players still not bought will remain in the "player pool" and will be available at £2m as “top up” signings. In case of multiple £2m bids for the same player, I will analyse each manager’s squad and then rank them by priority, so that (what I consider) weaker squads will get preference in this section.

You need to PM me the names of the players you are interested in and I will let you know asap if you are successful or not.

THis whole process must end by 10pm THURSDAY 11th August.

PENALTIES and FORFEITS

1) (Remembering that you must make up your squad of 14 players out of the £100m and the minimum price for any player is £2m) any manager who at the end of the auction exceeds the budget will have a player of my choosing removed from his/her squad at least equal to the value of the excess. He will then have to be replaced by another player from the "player pool" for £2m. A 10 point penalty will also be imposed for each £m over-budget.

e.g - if at the end of the auction you’ve spent £105m on 12 players, to make up your squad to 14 you would need 2 more "pool players" (£4m) = total spend of £109m. I would then remove from your squad a player of at least £9m value and you will be penalised -90 points

2) If a manager has more than 1 keeper, 5 defenders, 5 midfield or 3 forwards in his squad, a player of my choosing relating to that position will be removed from his/her squad. A 10 point penalty will also be imposed for EACH such infringement.

e.g - if due to overbidding for forwards you end up with 4 of them, I will remove one (without compensation) and you will be deducted 10 points

In the game I distinguish between Midfielders and Attacking Midfielders [AM] (this is usually a controversial subject) you will note that a Midfielder gets more points for a goal than an AM. WIth fewer teams using 4-4-2 now and 4-2-3-1 formations being more common there needed to be a distinction between deeper lying traditional mids and the new half-forward mids. SO here is a far from definitive list of some players in each category

MIDFIELDERS/ATTACKIMG MIDFIELDERS:

Some AMs:
Theo Walcott
Memphis Depay
Adam Lallana
Ashley Young
David Silva
Juan Mata
Riyad Mahrez
Eden Hazard
Kevin De Bruyne
Sadio Mane
Tony Martial
Wayne Rooney

Some Midfielders:
Michael Carrick
Ander Herrera
Ngolo Kante
Fancis Coquelin
Nemanja Matic
Cesc Fabregas
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Yaya Toure
Fernandinho
Morgan Schneiderlin

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY CAN YOU PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST BY POSTING HERE...JUST SAY "SIGN ME UP" OR "COUNT ME IN" ETC.

ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING JUST ASK IN HERE OR PM ME - BUT DONT LEAVE IT TILL THE LAST MINITE PLEASE!! (if I am not around ask Ole, Dante, Sandies or any of the Refs as they are all familiar with the game too and the rules havent changed much over the years). (Y)

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Re: Ste's Fantasy Football game!

9 months ago

How the Draft works (for those not familiar with this)

Here's an example with 10 managers - A B C D E F G H I J and how they acquire their first 4 players.

First a draft order is determined. For the example I will assume that Player A is 1st pick and Player J is last pick, just to keep it simple.

The Draft order follows a "snake" pattern like this: ( the letters represent each manager and the numbers represent the pick order).

A --- 1 --- 20 --- 21 --- 40
B --- 2 --- 19 --- 22 --- 39
C --- 3 --- 18 --- 23 --- 38
D --- 4 --- 17 --- 24 --- 37
E --- 5 --- 16 --- 25 --- 36
F --- 6 --- 15 --- 26 --- 35
G --- 7 --- 14 --- 27 --- 34
H --- 8 --- 13 --- 28 --- 33
I --- 9 --- 12 --- 29 --- 32
J --- 10 --- 11 --- 30 --- 31

It may look at first glance that A has an advantage in having first pick, but remember A's 2nd pick isnt until the 20th pick of the draft. He will see 18 other top rank players disappear off his "wish list" before he gets to pick again. In contrast J gets 2 picks of the "top 11 players" and also his 4th pick should (in theory) be the 31st best player in the league, whereas A's 4th pick should (in theory) be the 40th best player.

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

In.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

9 months ago

Is this still going ahead seeing as by the end of next season ul won't be around?
100% Top Red

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

I'm in!

RED3bution
Reserve
Reserve

9 months ago

Is this still going ahead seeing as by the end of next season ul won't be around?
Why is that? Is someone suing?
"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

9 months ago

I wont be around for the nex 48 hours so any questions, either PM me or ask one of the regulars if you dont know about how this works.

Keep em coming

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

Why would anyone be suing? :?

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

Go on, count me in

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

United Lounge will continue to the end of the season and beyond.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Ste's Fantasy Football game!

9 months ago

Ole said otherwise

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
100% Top Red

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

Ole said otherwise

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Ole has a rubber arm.

RED3bution
Reserve
Reserve

9 months ago

Why would anyone be suing? :?
Exactly the thought of someone who isn't in the know. You sound like you're less ignorant than me, why did Short Back.....make that comment?
"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

Because the plan was not to renew the hosting when it came up for renewal in February. That may change however.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

9 months ago

Is this for everyone now and not supporters btw?
100% Top Red

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

Yes. Unless you can find 12 supporters to play.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

9 months ago

We'll be lucky to find 12 active members full stop tbh
100% Top Red

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

We'll be lucky to find 12 active members full stop tbh
Exactly my point.

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Mikey is interested, when is the deadline?

So far looks like the players we have are:

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Dante
Ole
RedSte

How about you guys?

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

I'll support
"In my culture, that is considered a dick move." - Birdperson

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Don't support, join in.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Don't support, join in.
yes
"In my culture, that is considered a dick move." - Birdperson

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

9 months ago

I guess I better start doing some research.

Count me in.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 months ago

UPDATE:

Little Red Steven has said that his internet has broken so this first weekend will be missed. Looking forward to starting in time for week two!

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

9 months ago

In
100% Top Red

Return to “Ste's Amazing Fantasy Football Game”