Next Match: Image
Leicester City in the Premier League.
Saturday 26th August 2017, KO 17:30 BST.
RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

17/18 RULES THREAD

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:10 am

First thing to say is you need to get organised, with a spreadsheet or at least pen & paper, to keep track of your buys/bids and money spent, as there are grave penalties for spending too much money or not having a full squad at the end of the auction!

RULES

(1) YOU HAVE A KITTY OF £100m AND YOU MUST SELECT A SQUAD OF 14 PLAYERS WHICH MUST CONSIST OF :
1 “TEAM” KEEPER
5 DEFENDERS
5 MIDFIELDERS
3 FORWARDS.

(2) YOUR TEAM (Starting XI) MUST CONSIST OF A 4-4-2 FORMATION AND THEREFORE THERE IS ONE "RESERVE" PLAYER FOR EACH POSITION (you don’t need a reserve keeper as you buy a team’s squad of keepers so whoever plays for your team automatically plays in your fantasy team)

(3) INJURED, SUSPENDED OR OTHERWISE NOT SELECTED 'FIRST-TEAM' PLAYERS WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE REPLACED BY YOUR 'RESERVE' PLAYER IN THAT POSITION.

(4) 12 TRANSFERS ARE AVAILABLE DURING THE SEASON AND AFTER THE INITIAL PLAYER AUCTION THERE WILL BE AROUND 6 "TRANSFER WINDOWS" (dates to follow).

(5) POINTS ARE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS:-

2pts ANY PLAYER STARTING A GAME AND PLAYING AT LEAST 45 mins.
1pt ANY PLAYER MAKING AN APPEARANCE OF ANY OTHER KIND
4pts A GOAL SCORED BY A FORWARD
5pts A GOAL SCORED BY AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER (AM)
6pts A GOAL SCORED BY A MIDFIELDER
10pts A GOAL SCORED BY A DEFENDER/KEEPER
2pts AN ASSIST
4pts AN ASSIST BY A DEFENDER/KEEPER
4pts CLEAN-SHEET FOR A DEFENDER/KEEPER (must start and play 75mins +)
3pts BONUS POINTS FOR A HAT-TRICK
-1pt EACH GOAL CONCEDED BY A DEFENDER/KEEPER
-2pts A PLAYER SCORING AN OWN-GOAL
-6pts A PLAYER SENT OFF
1pt GOALKEEPER SAVING A PENALTY (saved, but not off-target misses)
-1pt PLAYER MISSING A PENALTY (saved or off-target)

(6a) DEFINITION OF AN ASSIST - ANY TOUCH (NO MATTER HOW SMALL) BY A TEAMMATE IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO THE SCORER SCORING.
(6b) DEFINTION OF A GOAL/OWN GOAL- A DEFLECTED SHOT THAT WAS ON TARGET BEFORE DEFLECTION IS A GOAL.
A SHOT OFF-TARGET THAT’S DEFLECTED IN IS AN OWN GOAL, WITH AN ASSIST TO THE SHOOTER.

[RULES 6a and 6b ARE BASED ON MY JUDGMENT REGARDLESS OF ANY ‘OFFICIAL’ RULING BY PL/FA etc.]

THERE'S ALSO A CUP COMPETITION WHICH SHADOWS REAL F.A. CUP TIES BASED ON THE WHOLE OF YOUR SQUADS PERFORMANCE IN THOSE GAMES, AS OPPOSED TO YOUR STARTING XI, SO BE SURE TO PICK A WELL-BALANCED SQUAD IF YOU WANT TO PROGRESS IN THE CUP.

AND FINALLY, AS IT SAYS IN ALL THE BEST COMPETITIONS, IN THE EVENT OF ANY DISPUTES, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE ORGANISERS DECISION IS FINAL!

HOW DO I BUILD MY SQUAD? – (1) THE DRAFT

We will be using a draft to select the first 4 players in everyone’s squad.There is a separate thread explaining how the draft works for those unfamiliar with draft systems. This needs to take place on a date when as many competing managers as possible can be around at the same time The plan at present is for it to take place around 10pm-ish on SATURDAY 29 JULY. (speak now if this is bad for you!!! As a last resort you can leave an ordinal lists of bid preferences with me but please try to be here yourself!)

(2) THE PLAYER AUCTION

Now that each squad has their 4 “star players” you now need to fill the other 10 spots in your squad. This is done by having a player auction. Here is a summary of how the auction will work and a few tips for you all too.

After the draft picks have been finalised the board will be opened up for each manager to start a new thread which relates to a player which you want to bid for. Each thread will just start with the players name in the title and your minimum bid (usually £2m). Bidding will then proceed similar to an Ebay auction. Anyone else interested in that player can raise that bid. After a £2m bid, the next bid must be £3m (or more); this process will continue in all player threads until the auction ends. The person who has made the highest legal bid when the auction closes will "own" that player.

The Auction can open as soon as the Draft has ended (see above) and I propose to close it around 11pm-ish on THURSDAY 3rd AUGUST.
Again please let me know if time is an issue, as it can - and often is - amended to suit the majority of managers

(3) SEALED BIDS

At the end of the auction period, if you dont have a full squad of 14, you can "buy" ANY other PL player not already taken, by making a “sealed bid”. This is just a PM to me stating player wanted and how much of your remaining funds you want to bid for him.

WARNING: Please ensure that you do NOT exceed your overall budget of £100m for your squad!! I will be keeping a check on how much each manager has spent on his squad but remember you MUST have 14 players; so if for example you only have 9 players at the end of the Player Auction you must make sure your total bid on those 9 players does not exceed £90m, as you will need £10m in reserve to buy your 5 "make up numbers" players at £2m each. You should be keeping some sort of record on how much you have spent after each stage of the process.

The only limitation on who you can buy is the overall £100m limit. You can blow nearly all your money on 2-3 massive signings and have lots of “make up the numbers” players at the end @ £2m each. A more pragmatic approach would be to spend around £7-8m on each player and have a very balanced squad. A course somewhere between those 2 extremes is probably the way to go but that is where your own strategy comes into play.

Plan at present is for the Sealed Bids to close around 11pm on SUNDAY 6th AUGUST.

(4) TOP-UPS
At this stage any players still not bought will remain in the "player pool" and will be available at £2m as “top up” signings. In case of multiple £2m bids for the same player, I will analyse each manager’s squad and then rank them by priority, so that 'weaker' squads will have preference.

You need to PM me the names of the players you are interested in and I will let you know asap if you are successful or not.

THis whole process must end by 10pm THURSDAY 10th August as the season starts on Friday night!

PENALTIES and FORFEITS

1) (Remembering that you must make up your squad of 14 players out of the £100m and the minimum price for any player is £2m) any manager who at the end of the auction exceeds the budget will have a player of my choosing removed from their squad at least equal to the value of the excess. He will then have to be replaced by another player from the "pool" for £2m. A 10 point penalty will also be imposed for each £m over-budget.

e.g - if at the end of the auction you’ve spent £105m on 12 players, to make up your squad to 14 you would need 2 more "pool players" (£4m) = total spend of £109m. I would then remove from your squad a player of at least £9m value and you will be penalised -90 points (this would make it very unlikely that you would win the game)

2) If a manager has more than 1 keeper, 5 defenders, 5 midfield or 3 forwards in his squad, a player of my choosing relating to that position will be removed from his/her squad. A £2m penalty will also be imposed for EACH such infringement.

e.g - if due to overbidding on certain positions you end up with 4 forwards and 6 defenders, I will remove one from each position (without compensation) and you will be fined £4m.

MIDFIELDERS/ATTACKIMG MIDFIELDERS (Auction)

Especially important is to check in the right thread for certain players. Obviously Evans is clearly a defender and van Persie is clearly a forward but there are certain players (especially in the format that we use) that are borderline. Some midfielders are considered forwards and vice versa, so I have created a separate category called Attacking Midfielders (AMs) –

AMs are players like Silva, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Hazard, Sanchez,Dele Alli, Eriksen, Sigurdsson etc.
Midfielders are players like Kante, Fellaini, Yaya, Dier, Henderson, Fabregas etc. If in doubt ask me!

So that's about it. I will give special assistance to those new to the game [just ask] but I'll end with the usual - "Any questions?"

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Re: 17/18 RULES THREAD

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 am

Hey Ste. Everything sounds great. My only problem (so far) is that at the time of the draft I'll sit in my plane heading for my holidays so I'll have to pass my wish list to you prior to this. Any ideas how a recruiting campaign can be run given the fact that I wouldn't be able to visit or stay in the lounge frequently for the next two weeks? The last thing I want is to withdraw at the first hurdle. On the other hand, I don't want to disturb the whole process, so I must rely on your experience and improvisation.
UNITED > ENGLAND

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 pm

1st - you wont disturb the process (it happens quite often) :P

What dates will you be unavailable exactly?

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 pm

1st - you wont disturb the process (it happens quite often)

What dates will you be unavailable exactly?
No idea mate. I'm off during the two weeks between the draft and the start of the season. Fits perfectly, doesn't it?

Of course I will be available and online but I have no idea of exact times. My missus and the kids are all devoted beachgoers so I'd have to comply with this. :sick:
UNITED > ENGLAND

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 pm

I can empathise!!

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 pm

10pm your time is like 5am my time. Of course I'm free.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:12 am

I'm away on 29th!

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Is Friday 28th better for everyone?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 am

That depends if Dan is available on that day or not.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 am

3:00 pm Friday afternoon - I should still be sober.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:05 am

I'm still away. :laugh:

Away 27th - 1st.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:55 am

I'm still away. :laugh:

Away 27th - 1st.
28th is fine for me then.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:37 pm

tbf I think the Player Auction (at the deadline) is the one that we need to make sure as many as possible are online to ensure fairness.

We can work around the Draft by getting those absent on the nightto PM me their favourite players in ranking order and I will proxy bid for whoever isnt here.

SO IS EVERYONE LIKELY TO BE AVAILABLE ON THE EVENING OF 3RD AUGUST?!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I should be.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:54 am

I think so
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Can people respond please?

And where are Lefty and Amirah!!

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 am

August 3rd, 3:00 pm. I'll be available
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:47 am

Will try my best.
UNITED > ENGLAND

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

Confirmed as available for the Player Auction deadline (when everyone needs to be around)

Dante
Ole
Marcus
Barry
Max

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm

I've just been reminded I wont be home for the w/e 29th, so the Player Draft round will now be Thursday 27th!!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Lol.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Friends wedding I'd been told about months ago but I leaveCindy to take care of those details...she just reminded me we need to get shit for Saturday!! :oops:

Anyway anyone who isnt certain to be here on Thursday night (27th) needs to make sure they PM me an ordinal list of players they want me to try to get for them in the draft!

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Only a week till the Player Draft round starts, so if anyone has any questions - especially the newbies - please dont leave it to the last minute as I will (obviously) be busy!

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 pm

So, it's 2200 tomorrow in a week if I'm not mistaken.

Ste could you please tell me how long does it usually take for the draft to be concluded? I live in a CET country and though I would like to stay online I don't know if I could make it.

So just in case I'll hand my wish list over to you at some point.
UNITED > ENGLAND

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Should probably take a little over an hour but you can send me a list as back up

Return to “Ste's Amazing Fantasy Football Game”