Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Premier League.
Sunday 30th April 2017, KO 12:00 BST.
Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Paul Pogba

9 months ago

Jose said he had three of the four priority signings he wanted but I don't necessarily think that will be the end of the signings

Pogba is a world class player and if he's the one Jose wants then fine.
But for that amount of money to spend on a player who came through our Academy is embarrassing and I would rather spend that sort of money on
players like Julian Draxler and Ross Barkley for the same price or less.
Eh?
Barkley is a very promising English attacking midfielder.He's 22 years of age,tall and strong and has played 22 times for England already.
He would flourish under Mourinho.

Xavi once said he was good enough to play for Barca and admired his physical and technical qualities.
What's Eh? about that.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

9 months ago

Griezmann is a class act

Sell Rooney, Mata and Felliani to fund this guy lol
See how Zlatan and Rashford work out and pick him up during the winter or next summer.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

Jose said he had three of the four priority signings he wanted but I don't necessarily think that will be the end of the signings

Pogba is a world class player and if he's the one Jose wants then fine.
But for that amount of money to spend on a player who came through our Academy is embarrassing and I would rather spend that sort of money on
players like Julian Draxler and Ross Barkley for the same price or less.
Eh?
Barkley is a very promising English attacking midfielder.He's 22 years of age,tall and strong and has played 22 times for England already.

Xavi once said he was good enough to play for Barca and admired his physical and technical qualities.
What's Eh? about that.

What's eh? about it is he's not even a central midfielder first of all (I know Draxler isn't too), and I'm not sure having played for England is a mark of quality. What's eh? about it is in Xavi's head, everyone is good enough to play for Barca.
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

9 months ago

Is this the same Xavi that was praising Rooney not to long ago?
"Make America Great Again!"

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

9 months ago

Eh?

What's Eh? about that.

What's eh? about it is he's not even a central midfielder first of all (I know Draxler isn't too), and I'm not sure having played for England is a mark of quality. What's eh? about it is in Xavi's head, everyone is good enough to play for Barca.
Draxler is a left sided midfielder who would be a big asset to the team and Barkley would bring much-needed physicality to our team which we are very short of.
But you're probably right,what does Xavi know about football.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

What's Eh? about that.

Draxler is a left sided midfielder who would be a big asset to the team and Barkley would bring much-needed physicality to our team which we are very short of.
But you're probably right,what does Xavi know about football.
I have no interest in Xavi's knowledge of football. The fact he's a good player doesn't mean everything he says about football is right. Relly gave you a perfect example. In Xavi's head (or at least based on what he told the press), every half decent player can play for Barca. The man believes Wilshere is the future of English football! And the actual side comment about Barkley? lel... you're having a laugh. At least for Wilshere he had a full discussion. Here's an excerpt -
Liverpool winger Sterling, 19, was linked with Real Madrid during the summer
transfer window and the Spaniard thinks he has the ability to thrive in La
Liga.

Asked if the Reds star or Everton midfielder Barkley could cut it, he said:
“Yes, why not? I think they could.

“They have incredible physical capabilities and are good technically.

“In Spain, we prioritise players who are technically gifted but both things
are very important in football.”
That was it. Have you heard some of Pele's opinions? The fact you think Barkley, and the quality you attribute to him is physicality to our midfield says it all.

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

9 months ago

I was just expressing my opinion that Draxler and Barkley would be good additions to the squad but in the end Jose will decide who comes in and goes out.
He knows more about football than the rest of us put together.But that's only my opinion as well.

DaveMart
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

He knows more about football than the rest of us put together.But that's only my opinion as well.
It is not just your opinion.

A Mr J. Mourinho would certainly agree, although he would put it that he knows more about football than the rest of the world combined! :laugh:

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

We're bullying the bullies! For this reason alone, it almost makes it worthwhile
From skysports.com

Real Madrid have pulled out of the race to sign Paul Pogba

Manchester United's path to sign Paul Pogba is now clear after Real Madrid ended their interest in the midfielder for financial reasons, Sky Sports News HQ has been told.

According to sources close to the deal, United's superior financial strength has given them a huge advantage in negotiations with Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola, and forced Real to admit defeat in their pursuit of the player.

At this point in negotiations, the basic transfer fee for Pogba is understood to start at around £85m (€100m).

However, when taking into account add-ons and bonuses related to the success of the player and the club - as well as Raiola's fee - the total amount United could pay for Pogba's transfer could reach over £105m (€123m).

This is not including the player's contract, which is expected to comfortably exceed £65m, were the club to pay him a basic salary of £250,000 per week on a five-year deal.

The fact that Manchester United have shown willingness to meet these demands, but also potentially go further if a bidding race with Real plays out over the remaining weeks of the transfer window, has proved too much for the Spanish club's president Florentino Perez.

Sky sources have confirmed Perez accepts his club cannot compete with United financially, so has withdrawn .....
Gomes is expected to become the subject of a £42m (€50m) transfer bid from Real after the conclusion of Euro 2016.

Pogba has enjoyed huge success at Juventus after joining the club from Manchester United on a free transfer
Pogba has enjoyed huge success at Juventus after joining the club from Manchester United on a free transfer
Raiola and United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward have been in constant dialogue this summer, having completed deals to bring Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Henrikh Mkhitaryan to Old Trafford.

Pogba left United on free transfer in 2012, and was identified as a key transfer target when United first approached Jose Mourinho to become their new manager earlier this year.

Once Mourinho was in place, Woodward began implementing his strategy of signing four senior players.

Former Juventus midfielder Alessandro Del Piero would like to see Pogba stay in Turin
Pogba's continued involvement in Euro 2016 meant Woodward and Raiola were relaxed about focusing on other targets.

Neither party wanted the French player's club future to become a sideshow while he was trying to lead his nation to European Championship glory.

With the tournament reaching its conclusion tonight, Woodward and Raiola are now comfortable increasing the pace of negotiations and remain confident a deal can be done.

Ray Parlour believes Pogba would be a brilliant signing despite his price tag
From an economic point of view there was initial hesitation at the club about how much it would cost to bring Pogba back after an incredible rise to elite level at Juventus over the past four seasons.

However the impact he would have at United has proved too strong, with Mourinho convincing the club's hierarchy that Pogba is a key part of the rebuilding process needed to get the club back to the top level of European football once again.

United's board accepted Mourinho's assertion that signing Pogba was crucial, and have offered unwavering support to their new manager, demonstrating they will do whatever it takes to give him the best possible chance of winning the Premier League in his first season at the club.

Wonder what Balague 'everything in Spain is superior to England' has to say about it

DaveMart
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

From skysports.com

United's board accepted Mourinho's assertion that signing Pogba was crucial, and have offered unwavering support to their new manager, demonstrating they will do whatever it takes to give him the best possible chance of winning the Premier League in his first season at the club.
Don't cha just love them Glazers?

Nope, me neither, but fair do's.

SUBXERO
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Max

9 months ago

Of course they pull out of the race as they know he will be available for less in a couple of years. Blame it on Manchester's weather... or something else... whatever...
UNITED > ENGLAND

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

French players tend to last in the premier league though

Not sure why he would switch Juve for us in any case but if it does happen, classic example of agent power.

Totally convinced the kid to leave us in the first place, and now can just as easily persuade him to rejoin. Not that I would complain

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

Whatever the case, think about it, considered one of the best players in the world at the moment, the boy was said to be in advanced talks with Madrid, next thing we butt in, challenge them to a bank balance flat race, and chase them off the park. Massive statement this - this is what Real does to others. Don't underestimate the psychological shift it could cause. Both in potential player minds, and in the minds of our own players, and fans

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

9 months ago

I think Pogba is a bit overrated. He's *very* good and will be a huge difference maker for us, but don't know if he's worth £100m + £300k-a-week wages sort of player. But he's only 23 years old and I'd rather we spend all these crazy money on getting quality players like him than it rest in Glazer's pocket.

I'm trying my best to not get my hopes up, but Mourinho being here gives me hope that this can happen. There's still enough time for Ed Woodward (Ray's influence) to screw this thing up.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

esobeso
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: David

9 months ago

He was pretty underwhelming against Portugal if he is worth £100M then Bayern got a very good deal when they landed Renato Sanchez.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

He was pretty underwhelming against Portugal if he is worth £100M then Bayern got a very good deal when they landed Renato Sanchez.
To be fair, why the fornicate is he playing a defensive role when Kante is on the bench
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

Thing is, I've not really watched Pogba that much with Juve, however, every time I've watched him, in the champions league, or in major tournaments like this, I've always felt he was ok but not worth all the hype. 100M is scary when you think about it, and it while it's a statement of dominance to go out and price Real out of a move for a player they've wanted for years (which makes me smile each time I consider that it might happen), it could come back to bite us when bidding for other players

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Colin

9 months ago

I wouldn't go by the France performance to be honest. He is not a defensive midfielder and was played there again by Deschamps to their detriment. He is definitely a ball carrying central midfielder and a very good one at that.
...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

9 months ago

I wouldn't go by the France performance to be honest. He is not a defensive midfielder and was played there again by Deschamps to their detriment. He is definitely a ball carrying central midfielder and a very good one at that.
Agreed, Deschamps messed that up. Should have played Kante with Matuidi and Pogba in front of him. Pogba was wasted there.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

Not fornicate worth it. You can make excuses against Portugal, but he never stood out in this tournament.

When I tell friends and coworkers who aren't club football supporters but watch tournament football that United want to buy him for 100+ mil they laugh at the idea.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

9 months ago

People that watch international football only are best suited for informed opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

People that watch international football only are best suited for informed opinions.

Obviously I don't rank the opinions of people who aren't real football fans higher than people who watch club football regularly. But he played 7 games in a major international tournament and wasn't a talking point once. When a player is great at club football but never does anything at international level people always use it as a mark against them, although when a player is shit at international football then it's conveniently written off as not important.

Obviously Pogba is a great talent, but the money being talked about could buy any player in the world, and I could think a number that I would buy before him. Griezman for a start.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: RE: Re: Paul Pogba

9 months ago

Obviously I don't rank the opinions of people who aren't real football fans higher than people who watch club football regularly. But he played 7 games in a major international tournament and wasn't a talking point once. When a player is great at club football but never does anything at international level people always use it as a mark against them, although when a player is shit at international football then it's conveniently written off as not important.

Obviously Pogba is a great talent, but the money being talked about could buy any player in the world, and I could think a number that I would buy before him. Griezman for a start.
Anyone would buy Grizmann but he is not for sale. Looking at our situation, I think we have to over pay to get great talent. We have no choice.
"Those sunderland fans who were cheering for city, remember the day. We won't forget that, i'm telling you." - SAF

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

French players tend to last in the premier league though

Not sure why he would switch Juve for us in any casebut if it does happen, classic example of agent power.

Totally convinced the kid to leave us in the first place, and now can just as easily persuade him to rejoin. Not that I would complain
A number of reasons: money, unfinished business (he actually still seems rather bitter about having to leave), the Mourinho effect, and the fact that England is perceived as less racist (at least, less openly)

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

9 months ago

I considered France's performance throughout the tournament as very stop/start. Not one of their players played well throughout, not even the named player of the tournament Payet.

Pogba played in the CDM position through most of the tournament, and his sparks cam when he was moved upwards. Granted, he didn't set the world alight, but I don't think anyone did. He was good/ok. Worth 100m? Of course not, but he has massive potential at his age, and if we sign him, he won't be played like he was in the French team.

RE: Griezmann, fully agree. Would take him in a heartbeat, been wanting to see him play for United for a while now.

Return to “Transfers, Speculation & Rumours”