Next Match: Image
Ajax in the Europa League Final.
Wednesday 24th May 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: RE: Re: Eric Bailly

11 months ago

If he will be part of the African Cup of Nations we will need coverage for when he is gone during the season.
do you know any channel? :P
Internet

"In my culture, that is considered a dick move." - Birdperson

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Re: Eric Bailly

11 months ago

Bailly is Jose first signing..........don't know too much about this fella but getting our work done early
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

11 months ago

Got him.
Not sure where you got your info, but its not done.

Personnally I would never sign an African based player. Losing one of your players in the heart of the season every other year for some pointless tournament is not worth it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36474183 - this was the story when I first made the post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36480527 - posted 5 minutes ago
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Kinnell
Academy Player
Academy Player

11 months ago

Just the sort of imposing,tough defender we have been crying out for since the great Nemanja Vidic.
This is a typical Jose type player and I think we can expect one or two more like him to make teams fear us again.

This summer is now going to be so exciting. :) (Y)

SUBXERO
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Max

11 months ago

The next Fosu-Mensah! :P

On a more serious note, I think we've just signed the sort of defender Chelski signed in Zouma back then. Typical Jose.

Let's wish the guy best of luck and injury-free campaign.

Any ideas for a chant? Bailly rhymes with Desailly btw.
UNITED > ENGLAND

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

If signing this guy means we never get to see the Dutch birth canal who thought coming 5th in a season where Leicester and Spurs fought out the title at center half, then without ever seeing him kick a ball hes the best signing the club has ever made
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

11 months ago

If signing this guy means we never get to see the Dutch birth canal who thought coming 5th in a season where Leicester and Spurs fought out the title at center half, then without ever seeing him kick a ball hes the best signing the club has ever made
WTF

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

11 months ago

You're a sad little man. Get the fornicate over it and move on with your life.
"Make America Great Again!"

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

11 months ago

He's right tbh Sandies. He's gone. I don't quite see the point of your post but van Gaal has gone and we move on .
100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

He's right tbh Sandies. He's gone. I don't quite see the point of your post but van Gaal has gone and we move on .
Van Gaal played at cb?

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

to be fair brent your sentence is incomplete, not to mention long and difficult to follow

I've read it 3 times now i think i know what you're saying but it was hard to figure out

also when you said dutch birth canal i did automatically think of LvG initially. poor blind has done nothing wrong to be labelled that

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

11 months ago

to be fair brent your sentence is incomplete, not to mention long and difficult to follow

I've read it 3 times now i think i know what you're saying but it was hard to figure out

also when you said dutch birth canal i did automatically think of LvG initially. poor blind has done nothing wrong to be labelled that
He was blind!

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

Yep, after re-reading it and with hindsight probably shouldve written it better

Said birth canal because I thought it might be too politically incorrect to call him a pansy with his flat top pony tail

I have nothing against Blind either, solid reliable footballer and nice guy

But he can fornicate off with his "we consider this a successful season" bullshit. That sort of attitude that shows everything that was wrong with the Van Gaal era

And nothing against blind as a player, should stay on as back up to Shaw or the midfield, but if signing Bailey means we never see him t cb ever again, then Bailey is already my favourite player

If Van Gaal contributed some of that 250million to the central defence he might still have a job

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

11 months ago

We're tied with Tottenham at 35 for the fewest goals conceded in the league last year. It doesn't appear that defence was our biggest problem or what got LVG sacked. I would assume anyone who watched more than a handful of games last year what understand that. You seem to have an unsubstantiated hate for Daley Blind. Granted he is not a first choice CB, but he didn't pick his position and actually did a pretty good job most of the time. He was probably one of our better performers at the club last year.

For me he will never be a superstar player, but if I was going to look at a list of players from last season and start categorizing as keep and sell, Blind would be near the top of the keep side. He can play, and well, a number of different position, he is a fantastic passer of the ball and he is a very professional player, keeps quiet, does what he's asked and goes about his business. To be a successful team you need guys like Blind in the team.
"Make America Great Again!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

11 months ago

IMO the 35 goal for the season flattered to deceive. A great deal of our possession play was for no other reason than to limit the amount of time our defense was under attack, and in turn that limited the number of goals we conceded. However there where numerous occasion when we needed to stop the opposition or at the least limit them and far too many time our defense was found wanting.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

11 months ago

IMO the 35 goal for the season flattered to deceive. A great deal of our possession play was for no other reason than to limit the amount of time our defense was under attack, and in turn that limited the number of goals we conceded. However there where numerous occasion when we needed to stop the opposition or at the least limit them and far too many time our defense was found wanting.
(Y)
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

RED3bution
Reserve
Reserve

11 months ago

You seem to have a little trouble appreciating that statistic.

Possession can be a form of defence just like attack being preached as the best form of defence. If you're knocking LVG's philosophy based on that then you beg the question because that's exactly what his philosophy was based on.

Almost all goals result from a defence being found wanting. Ours was found wanting 35 times, tied with the league-besting Spurs. Nobody else's defence was found wanting less than ours.
If you have a better way to measure defensive prowess then let me in on it so I can appreciate your finer point.
"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

We're tied with Tottenham at 35 for the fewest goals conceded in the league last year. It doesn't appear that defence was our biggest problem or what got LVG sacked. I would assume anyone who watched more than a handful of games last year what understand that. You seem to have an unsubstantiated hate for Daley Blind. Granted he is not a first choice CB, but he didn't pick his position and actually did a pretty good job most of the time. He was probably one of our better performers at the club last year.

For me he will never be a superstar player, but if I was going to look at a list of players from last season and start categorizing as keep and sell, Blind would be near the top of the keep side. He can play, and well, a number of different position, he is a fantastic passer of the ball and he is a very professional player, keeps quiet, does what he's asked and goes about his business. To be a successful team you need guys like Blind in the team.
I agree with everything you said re Blind and have said that before

The reason we conceded few goals because we set up a game plan where we refused to attack ourselves to stop the opposition attacking us. Even lVG admitted he had to set us up this way because everytime we tried to get attack we got opened up like a hooker in the redlight district. If we didn't have such a fragile defence and the worlds best keeper, we would have been in a lot of trouble. Conceding 35 goals needs to be put in context with the fact we scored 46 goals

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

Possession can be a form of defence just like attack being preached as the best form of defence. If you're knocking LVG's philosophy based on that then you beg the question because that's exactly what his philosophy was based on.

Almost all goals result from a defence being found wanting. Ours was found wanting 35 times, tied with the league-besting Spurs. Nobody else's defence was found wanting less than ours.
If you have a better way to measure defensive prowess then let me in on it so I can appreciate your finer point.
I have no problems appreciating any statistics; I just do not give as much credence to statistics as some people. Statistics may the life blood of FIFA 2016 and Fantasy Football but in reality they tell you little about how good or bad a team performed. I don’t know of any league that awards points based on them; time of possession, fewest goals allowed, goals scored or anything else other than which team has the most goals at the final whistle. At the end of the day there is only one statistic that counts – wins.

I do not pour over the statistics of a game but one of the characteristics of a United team that we have lost has been closing out a game. When we got a lead, especially at Old Trafford, the game was as good as over. However over the last 3 years we have lost that trait and no lead appears to be secure. If you need a statistic, to show how good a defense performs (other than wins), look at games lost after taking a lead. I don’t have that statistic for United (or any team) but far too often last season we ended up on the wrong end of the score in games that should have been put away. If you need another area where a good defense should be solid and we weren’t is set plays, how many goals does a team concede from corners, free kick, throwing etc.

RED3bution
Reserve
Reserve

11 months ago

I have no problems appreciating any statistics; I just do not give as much credence to statistics as some people.

I do not pour over the statistics of a game but one of the characteristics of a United team that we have lost has been closing out a game. When we got a lead, especially at Old Trafford, the game was as good as over. However over the last 3 years we have lost that trait and no lead appears to be secure. If you need a statistic, to show how good a defense performs (other than wins), look at games lost after taking a lead. I don’t have that statistic for United (or any team) but far too often last season we ended up on the wrong end of the score in games that should have been put away. If you need another area where a good defense should be solid and we weren’t is set plays, how many goals does a team concede from corners, free kick, throwing etc.
It appears that your appreciation of statistics falls short of a purposeful standard. I don't know what a statistic such as "games lost after taking a lead" measures? My guess is that it measures a pattern of losing after taking a lead. lol

Statistics need not be believed to be real though because what it paints is an OVERALL tendency. In LVG's 2 seasons we've conceded on average of 36 goals in the league;37 in the 14/15 campaign and 35 in the 15/16 one (As compiled by Espn website). In the 2014/15 campaign we were 4th best, having conceded 1 more goal than 3rd placed Arsenal ( League and defensive record), 4 and 5 more than Southampton and Chelsea,(the Champions) respectively.
So while we may not "feel" secure with our leads we usually tend to restrict the damage the opponent can cause....We weren't getting the wins or scoring enough as evidenced by our numbers compared to the top 10 in the league. Bar stoke City, everybody else scored more than we did including 11th placed Everton (Espn compilation).
The argument might be forwarded that we owe our position, which was not enough, to our defence. If that were the case how can you disprove that stat as something fanciful?
"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

11 months ago

@ REDbution - "It appears that your appreciation of statistics falls short of a purposeful standard. I don't know what a statistic such as "games lost after taking a lead" measures? My guess is that it measures a pattern of losing after taking a lead. lol"

Are you really this naive? Dropping points after taking a lead shows that the defense is not capable of holding onto a lead when they are pressed. You can use any individual or combination statistics you wish to convince yourself that we had a good defense for the last two seasons but in my opinion when the game was on the line and we needed to stop a team, more often than not we failed.

Return to “Transfers, Speculation & Rumours”