Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: The Ronaldo thread of speculation

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Dante wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:12 pm
Thank you for your irrelevant bollocks. I redirect you to the opening post.Now if you'd kindly stop ruining this thread with your usual shite please.

Happy to refer to the original thread

Might i remind you to look at the thread and observe that it was you who got on a high and mighty horse and got sarcastic
I am presuming "mod" allows you to do as want and feel comfortable

My opinion on this thread is very simple
He doesn't like Manchester.He left because he doesn't
His family doesn't like Manchester.they influenced to him to leave because of that
He wants to play for a top club.That's also why he left United

Summary-He ain't coming back
Specualte all you want but get used to the idea

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:35 pm

redmaria wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:22 pm
Specualte all you want
Ah, so you DO understand the point of the thread. I take it you will now leave the thread and let everyone else get on with it?

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 pm

I know Ronaldo is still at the top of his game, but the money being talked about for a 32 year old player is beyond ridiculous, even in today's market. Imagine we had another Zlatan situation, sign Ronaldo on a huge contract (he would except nothing less) and have him do in his knee in the first year. No matter how good a player is, no one is coming back to their prime at that age after a major injury.

On top of that we just become the Ronaldo show. We might win a few things in the meantime, but we are delaying building an actual team that could compete without him.
"Make America Great Again!"

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Relly wrote:
I know Ronaldo is still at the top of his game, but the money being talked about for a 32 year old player is beyond ridiculous, even in today's market. Imagine we had another Zlatan situation, sign Ronaldo on a huge contract (he would except nothing less) and have him do in his knee in the first year. No matter how good a player is, no one is coming back to their prime at that age after a major injury.

On top of that we just become the Ronaldo show. We might win a few things in the meantime, but we are delaying building an actual team that could compete without him.
I'm with this tbh. Short term yes please. Long term we would probably win summat as Ben says but we would be fornicate once he goes.
100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Relly wrote:
I don't think that would necessarily be the case. A player like Ronaldo being signed would allow time to address other areas. Rashford would get time to come through without being under the microscope. The pressure would be taken off the defence a little as well.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Dante wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm
Relly wrote:
I don't think that would necessarily be the case. A player like Ronaldo being signed would allow time to address other areas. Rashford would get time to come through without being under the microscope. The pressure would be taken off the defence a little as well.
I don't see it that way unfortunately. Having someone to win us things single handedly will mean we don't sort the entire squad out. If you said to me sign Ronaldo and sort our defence out, replace Carrick over the next 12 months and get a winger then I'd bite your hand off. Unfortunately it wouldn't work like that.
100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Why not? Is that not just a question of will from the club?

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Because I don't feel the club will put the money forward to improve a winning team
100% Top Red

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Because I don't feel the club will put the money forward to improve a winning team
Surely I'm misunderstanding you but are you saying the club wont spend money on improving winning team? i.e. They players we will secure this transfer season aren't to improve the team?
Bring Back Becks Image

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:54 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm
Surely I'm misunderstanding you but are you saying the club wont spend money on improving winning team? i.e. They players we will secure this transfer season aren't to improve the team?
No, I'm saying if we sign Ronaldo it will set us back a few years developing a great all round side because anything we win would be mostly down to him.
I'm not saying we are a winning team. We finished 6th in the league.
100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 pm

He means if we're winning the league/Champions League, they wouldn't spend any more.

I'm not sure I buy that we wouldn't continue to replace players though.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Dante wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 pm
He means if we're winning the league/Champions League, they wouldn't spend any more.

I'm not sure I buy that we wouldn't continue to replace players though.
We wouldn't win the champions league if we just signed Ronaldo anyway. But either way I don't see us having a brilliant all round team.
100% Top Red

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:49 pm

You making out as though Ronaldo stops team building, youth development and any type pf spending.

Firstly, any side would grab the current player of year as a pure upgrade to any team consisting of any players.

Madrid built an awesome team with Ronaldo as the head figure - spending plenty. Take him out and they have a team of players who can create for any other striker with a decent finish. They will suffer loosing such an influential player like Ronaldo as would nay team - and which eludes to my first point of any team benefiting from him

Lots of youth came through when Ronaldo was there as well
Bring Back Becks Image

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 pm

I see what you're saying but the thing is we are not Madrid. They spend and spend and spend regardless. In his last season Ronaldo was papering over the cracks of a team in slow decline. Van Persie similarly papered them when we won the league last. A big blockbuster world beater of a signing for a year or two would be awesome in the short term but we need to build steadily and properly.
100% Top Red

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 pm
I see what you're saying but the thing is we are not Madrid. They spend and spend and spend regardless. In his last season Ronaldo was papering over the cracks of a team in slow decline. Van Persie similarly papered them when we won the league last. A big blockbuster world beater of a signing for a year or two would be awesome in the short term but we need to build steadily and properly.
(Y)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:29 pm

For the record I don’t think Ronaldo is going anywhere; whatever the bitch he currently has against Real Madrid will be ironed out and that’s where he will stay.

If we did sign him.

Any team that has CR7 is an immediate contender for the their countries league title and the Champions League. However, CR7 is concerned with developing the image and history of CR7 not the team he is playing for, it is goal scoring record and winning the Ballon d’Or that drives CR7 - not so much team awards. Barring injury I have little or no doubts that he would solve our scoring problems for the next 2-3 years, and in today’s football world three year can be a lifetime, that would allow us to concentrate on developing the defense, midfield and the young attacking talent we have. There is a part of me that thinks even if CR7 is available don’t go for him and instead give the young players (Rashford, Martial, Lindgard and even Wilson) a chance to show what they can do. It will never happen because in today football the risks are far too high but it would be a very “United” thing to do.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
You making out as though Ronaldo stops team building, youth development and any type pf spending.

Firstly, any side would grab the current player of year as a pure upgrade to any team consisting of any players.

Madrid built an awesome team with Ronaldo as the head figure - spending plenty. Take him out and they have a team of players who can create for any other striker with a decent finish. They will suffer loosing such an influential player like Ronaldo as would nay team - and which eludes to my first point of any team benefiting from him

That's Real though. If the English government was backing United's spending and we were able to buy freely than United would do the same. Unfortunately United always look to be doing as little net spending as possible, in terms of fees and wages. If we buy Ronaldo and pay him what he wants he will destroy the budget for any other players.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 pm

One good thing is that United do seem a little more wary of being used as someone elses negotiation tool. We should just completely distance ourselves from this right now.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Ben - You touched on the biggest problem I have with the "Ronaldo transfer" situation. I don't want us chasing Ronaldo until the end of the transfer window and disregarding other need just because he might be available. Bring in players that strengthen us as a club and if Ronaldo does become available then so well and good, if (when) he signs with RM we have lost nothing.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I don't think mourinho is stupid enough to let something like that happen. Ed on the other hand...
100% Top Red

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 pm

thing is though theyre talking £150m plus for Ronaldo. How can Mourinho know what he has to spendon other targets if he dosent know whether he is plus or minus £150m on his budget going into late August?
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Mourinho should act as if Ronaldo isn't coming and buy accordingly, if Ronaldo does become available then Woodward find the money.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Relly wrote:
dbecks07 wrote:

That's Real though. If the English government was backing United's spending and we were able to buy freely than United would do the same. Unfortunately United always look to be doing as little net spending as possible, in terms of fees and wages. If we buy Ronaldo and pay him what he wants he will destroy the budget for any other players.
That's a myth. United have the second biggest wages in the league.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/engli ... b-by-club/
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:22 am

Imagine not wanting Ronaldo. Id argue someone who is the best player in the world and arguably all time will help us in the short and long term because it'll allow other younger areas to develop. Our centre backs are 22 and 23 and cost combined as much as John Stones. Whats the harm in letting them develop.

Its not like we haven't invested in other areas, and there is no way in hell Jose would abandon his midfield targets because of Ronaldo.

The only issue there is no hope in hell that we're getting him. IF he was to leave Real, he would come here, but we've been played before and we'll be played again. Ronaldo was looking for a public backing from Madrid, and he just got that
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:45 am

Ronaldo is not our top priority signing since we need more reinforcements on the positions we really lack of. I agree, go for the summer targets Mou had gave to Woodward. And if Ronaldo is available, which I think he isn't. He just need a pay raise again.

If the rumor is true, 150m is too much for an aging superstar. We can get better investment with that amount on player(s) that are younger and high potential and also marketable.

Return to “Transfers, Speculation & Rumours”