Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

End of Player Power?

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:29 pm

There seemed to be a trend this year of players not being able to force their clubs into a big move. Coutinho (although there is a slight chance that could happen still), Van Dijk, Sanchez. There was huge money (relative to their situations) offered for these players and none of them could force a move.

It's funny reading the stories about them today, Coutinho is distraught, Sanchez may never wear an Arsenal shirt again... Let's all take a moment and grieve for these millionaires who have to honour the contracts they signed.

"Make America Great Again!"

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Re: End of Player Power?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

This thread has gone under the radar but it's an interesting topic.
Incidentally no one complains about De Gea wanting away and it still crops up now and then that he still wants away. Didn't he try and force a move away a couple of years back only for us to 'fornicate up' a last minute document
100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

With a £4.1 Billion television contract, from a financial POV, there are no small clubs in the EPL anymore. Clubs don't need to sell a player when one of the big clubs come calling just to generate revenue and that gives the clubs loads of leverage. This isn't quite the same on the continent, especially in Spain where buyout clauses are mandatory, where a few clubs with well lined pocket can control the market.

IMO another major factor is the player salaries, especially in the EPL. If a clubs offered to double a players salary that makes a big difference but today there are very few player that are not being paid at abuot the maximum they can expect to make. Players coming into their prime years are signed to long term contracts and are concerned as much with Champions League, or title chase or even where they will be playing than a few extra thousand a week.

Lastly I think clubs are much better able to handle a "want-away" player than ever before. With the squad sizes and the depth of talent Clubs are more likely to consign a player to the youth teams and let them sit there rather than letting them become a disruptive force in the dressing room.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Have you guys seen the news about Benzema's release clause? DAMN!

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 pm

release clauses are meaningless really...other than sending an "unofficial hands off warning" to other clubs
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 pm

JonSnow wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm
Have you guys seen the news about Benzema's release clause? DAMN!

I believe that all player contracts in La Liga are required to have release clauses, so this is just Madrid's way of saying "don't call us we'll call you".
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Return to “Transfers, Speculation & Rumours”