Loading...
Next Match: Image
CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.
Wednesday 27th September 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
User avatar
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:09 am
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:17 pm

Martin wrote:
Leftbank wrote:Toad in the Hole. Quintessential home cooked fare.
How do you do this and what sausages do you use? Sorry to derail the fred guise.
No bother. Use any good sausage, at least 75% meat. I'm quite partial to a pork and leek. You need a really hot oven and a good amount of high smoke point fat, like lard. Cook sausages for about 15 minutes, then turn so uncooked side upright, quickly pour in batter and leave untouched for 25 minutes.


LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Image
Rumpole of the Lounge

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:19 pm

Leftbank wrote:
Martin wrote:
Leftbank wrote:Toad in the Hole. Quintessential home cooked fare.
How do you do this and what sausages do you use? Sorry to derail the fred guise.
No bother. Use any good sausage, at least 75% meat. I'm quite partial to a pork and leek. You need a really hot oven and a good amount of high smoke point fat, like lard. Cook sausages for about 15 minutes, then turn so uncooked side upright, quickly pour in batter and leave untouched for 25 minutes.
Nice one. I use Lincolnshire or Cumberland do you just use normal pork ones?

And do you add anything to the batter like chicken stock or other seasonings?
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:09 am
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:23 pm

Either of those work too. I do sometimes add mustard or roasted onion wedges to the batter, but I do like to keep it simple. Flour, egg, milk, salt, pepper
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Image
Rumpole of the Lounge

User avatar
mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:28 am

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:33 am

Mmmmmnn toad inth'ole with mash potatoes, peas and gravy. Proper northern food!

This is a great book for fans of food from up north:

From Eccles Cake to Hawkshead Wig: A Celebration of Northern Food

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Did wings again at the weekend, everyone loved them. I have mastered fried chicken now.

500ml of whole milk, two tablespoons of lemon juice, mix and leave to sit for 10 minutes or so, remove the ends of the wings that are just bone and cut at the joint so you have the bit that looks like a small leg and the other bit and soak the chicken wings in this for a couple of hours in the fridge in a bowl, covered.

Seasoning mix - plain white flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, paprika. Overestimate how much you will need btw.

Get a baking tray and sprinkle seasoning mix on the tray so that when you let the chicken rest it doesn't stick to the tray, then take chicken out and coat in the seasoning & put on this baking tray, cover it and leave in the fridge for another hour or so so that the coating turns into a kind of paste. You have to do this or it will just fall off when you fry.

Oil in a pan and then fry on either side.

Pisses on KFC tbh try it guise.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 5950
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: RE: Re: Fooooooooooooood

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:05 am

Martin wrote:Did wings again at the weekend, everyone loved them. I have mastered fried chicken now.

500ml of whole milk, two tablespoons of lemon juice, mix and leave to sit for 10 minutes or so, remove the ends of the wings that are just bone and cut at the joint so you have the bit that looks like a small leg and the other bit and soak the chicken wings in this for a couple of hours in the fridge in a bowl, covered.

Seasoning mix - plain white flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, paprika. Overestimate how much you will need btw.

Get a baking tray and sprinkle seasoning mix on the tray so that when you let the chicken rest it doesn't stick to the tray, then take chicken out and coat in the seasoning & put on this baking tray, cover it and leave in the fridge for another hour or so so that the coating turns into a kind of paste. You have to do this or it will just fall off when you fry.

Oil in a pan and then fry on either side.

Pisses on KFC tbh try it guise.
Not deep fried?
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 am

You can deep fry in a pan. Generous amount of oil.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Anyone know a decent site to buy spices online? Looking for some pimenton.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:28 am

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:10 pm

I usually buy mine from Spain and bring it back, but I have bought from Amazon in the past:

La Chinata Pimenton

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8068
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes Michael. That paprika is awesome I put it in my bolognese sauce
100% Top Red

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:29 pm

mikey wrote:I usually buy mine from Spain and bring it back, but I have bought from Amazon in the past:

La Chinata Pimenton
Cheers mate. Gonna do that stew I posted with chorizo in it, looks very good.

Would you say that's a decent price?
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:28 am

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:41 am

Martin wrote:
mikey wrote:I usually buy mine from Spain and bring it back, but I have bought from Amazon in the past:

La Chinata Pimenton
Cheers mate. Gonna do that stew I posted with chorizo in it, looks very good.

Would you say that's a decent price?
Yeah, i would say that's a fair price. I have only ever bought it once, from a deli in Anstruther, Fife, and it was about 5-6 quid.

Does the recipe call for pimenton? Only, usually, when I cook with a decent chorizo i don't use any. The pimenton in the chorizo flavours the dish.

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Yes mate, this is it - https://youtube.com/watch?v=i8p5UtV4GqY

Looks good imo. I can kind of tell what it will taste like as I like chorizo anyway (eat it on its own lel) so if pimenton flavours it like that I reckon I'll like this a lot.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:09 am
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:48 pm

I think smoked paprika would do the job
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Image
Rumpole of the Lounge

User avatar
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:09 am
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Made my own cheats donner kebab last night, and it was bloody lovely.

Mix minced lamb, oregano, cumin and ground coriander. Smush it between two sheets of parchment paper till it's about 5mm thick. Grill as hot as you can (I use my George Foreman grill, almost designed for it). I served with cabbage, tomato, red onion, chilli sauce and garlic mayo in a wholewheat pitta, and also threw in some spinach, rocket and watercress.

Weirdly in Manchester they often serve their doners in naan breads, not pita
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Image
Rumpole of the Lounge

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Leftbank wrote:I think smoked paprika would do the job
That's what it is innit.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:58 am

Favourite biscuit?

Also is a Twix a biscuit or a chocolate bar?
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8240
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:19 am

I ate some food last night, it was nice.
Image

User avatar
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:09 am
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:29 am

Giants14 wrote:Favourite biscuit?

Also is a Twix a biscuit or a chocolate bar?
Bourbon cream

Chocolate bar, following the rule of eisudem generis.
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Image
Rumpole of the Lounge

User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:55 am

It is a biscuit for me......I couldn't imagine going into a newsagents and choosing a Twix over a Boost lol
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon May 02, 2016 2:34 am

Nandos in the week as it was my birthday and I had a load of vouchers. I had half a chicken, the churrasco chicken thigh burger, coleslaw, peri peri chips and grilled halloumi. Was pretty good but wouldn't pay for it as it is overpriced imo. The chicken and the burger were both extra hot but there is not much heat to them. The burger was good but not for £7 and I expected a bit more from the seasonings considering how hyped Nandos is.

Halloumi was amazing though I'm buying some of this in future.

7/10 would eat again but would not pay money for.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 am

Leftbank wrote:I think smoked paprika would do the job
It did btw, really good recipe and smoked paprika is going on a lot of my cooking now. 5* seasoning.
Make football fabulous again!

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8068
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon May 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Martin wrote:
Leftbank wrote:I think smoked paprika would do the job
It did btw, really good recipe and smoked paprika is going on a lot of my cooking now. 5* seasoning.
Remember the shit I got for mentioning I put smoked paprika in bolognese?
100% Top Red

User avatar
Martin
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Mon May 02, 2016 4:52 pm

That wasn't because smoked paprika is shit, it was because bolognese shouldn't have smoked paprika in.

It's like putting beer in a curry. Or chilli powder in custard.
Make football fabulous again!

User avatar
t.d.
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:44 am

Re: Fooooooooooooood

Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Lol.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Return to “Members Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users