Next Match: Image
Leicester City in the Premier League.
Saturday 26th August 2017, KO 17:30 BST.
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Rant

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:41 pm

The chambers is just not where I expected it to be

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

fornicate ice bucket challenge was already pissing me off with all the videos popping up. I appreciate the cause, but the means is now a show off contest. I hate talking in videos, and now I've been fornicate nominated. many birth canals.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Ice Bucket Challenge is stupid if you aren't gonna donate any money to ALS. I don't get the point in people simply doing the challenge and not donating any money. I didn't do the challenge (somebody better not challenge me!) but I did make a donation.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm

I'd be happy to do both, but there are too many many birth canals doing it for the fun of it, and it's a hot summer here so I don't think dumping some cold water in the middle of the day would be such a bad thing. And as I said, I hate speaking in front of a camera.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Do the rice bucket challenge instead.

Best (only) one I've seen

phpBB [video]

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:20 am

Ice Bucket Challenge is stupid if you aren't gonna donate any money to ALS. I don't get the point in people simply doing the challenge and not donating any money. I didn't do the challenge (somebody better not challenge me!) but I did make a donation.
I really do think the point is to do both, but even so, no one can deny the amount of attention and awareness this has brought to a disease people really didnt know much about

This video really is touching and shows how meaningful the campaign is

phpBB [video]
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 am

I'd be happy to do both, but there are too many many birth canals doing it for the fun of it, and it's a hot summer here so I don't think dumping some cold water in the middle of the day would be such a bad thing. And as I said, I hate speaking in front of a camera.

You can always write
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 am

Did the ice bucket challenge yesterday. Was quite fun tbh. How much are you supposed to donate?
100% Top Red

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:19 am

USD10 if you done it
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I really do think the point is to do both, but even so, no one can deny the amount of attention and awareness this has brought to a disease people really didnt know much about
I completely get it that they do the Ice Bucket Challenge for awareness sake. But simply doing it without donating money (which is what most people, especially celebrities, have been doing) is pointless.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:37 pm

How do you know most people havent donated ffs? I donated 40 quid. Not a lot but better than nowt. Someone at work was slating me for doing it today. Because I got nominated I did it and I actually made a donation. Therefore this ice bucket challenge thing works.
100% Top Red

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:57 pm

phpBB [video]

This was pretty heartbreaking to watch. Didnt realise Joost was this bad
For anyone who doesn't know, he was one of the best rugby union scrum halves ever. He's only 43 and has motor neurone disease. He was only diagnosed 3 years ago.
100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 am

phpBB [video]

This was pretty heartbreaking to watch. Didnt realise Joost was this bad
For anyone who doesn't know, he was one of the best rugby union scrum halves ever. He's only 43 and has motor neurone disease. He was only diagnosed 3 years ago.
It is beyond heartbreaking, following a public battle of one of your heros is hard to take. He was one of the fittest and strongest players you will see and its heartbreaking to watch his body go through it

Hes done some fantastic work for disease in SA to his credit, but its scary what happens to you

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 am

Most people know who he is
All that know who he is know him as the guy in the wheel chair who talks through a machine. How many can actually name whats wrong with him?

TBH, i didnt even know it was ALS, because generally you have a life expectancy of 3-5 years after diagnosis

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 am

It beats the slugging a pint one, that was cringe worthy and it's for a good cause. Yes it's now a popularity contest but that's life isn't it. How did it all come about in the first place? Whoever came up with it is a clever birth canal.
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:46 am

phpBB [video]
@mushy

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 am

So, I did it, didn't talk into the camera though, can't stand that. Donated a 100 dollars.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 am

It does get pretty bad. My mate's dad didn't die too long after being diagnosed (mate was 12 when he died & remembers him getting ill before it worsening). At the end the downstairs was basically all his bedroom cos he couldn't move anywhere.

And yeah what Brent said, first thought I had is how has he survived that long? I wouldn't have remembered what he had if Dante hadn't posted his pic either.
Make football fabulous again!

mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Miguel

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 am

A friend from my youth, Ste, has this and his is a very sad story. His missus fornicate him off in the early stages and very quickly moved a new bloke in. Bar his son, he had no contact from his family. He ended up near enough a prisoner in a two bedroom council flat while his son skimmed off his disability benefits, squandering it on drugs and alcohol, only getting out once, or at most, twice a week.

I used to see him every so often down my road, there's a fella who sells green. My mate smoked it for pain relief. He said it worked miles better than the prescription drugs his gp pumped him full with.

Then he disappeared off the face of the earth. I asked the green seller if he'd seen Ste, and he said he hadn't. This was around 12 months ago.

Another sad story; my favourite person on the planet, my gran, has developed severe dementia. It's horrible. Words cannot accurately describe who gut wrenching it is to see someone you love and respect so dearly descending into insanity and fear. I go and see her religiously once a week. For two days before I cannot think about much else than who she will be this week, and then for two days afterwards I am so sad and at every quiet moment my mind drifts off to my gran.

To tie the two stories together; two weeks ago I went to visit my gran (she's in a care home right next to the Cliff) and I saw a bloke in one of those high-backed wheel chairs, and there he was, it was Ste, dumped in the same care home as my gran even though he has a family back at home. The poor bastard is stuck in a care home full of old folk who are completely off their tits. It isn't a nice place for an able bodied person who can jump in a car and drive away. There is nothing wrong with his mind so it must be torture for him.

Anyway, the bastard has asked me to get him green. I could of lied and said that the lad down my road has moved away and I can't get him some, but like a numbnuts I said i'd get him some. Last week I got him a 20 bag and skinned it up and put them in a fag box and gave them to him. He's expecting me to do the same this week.

It's not a good situation and it's made the whole 'going to see my gran' worse. Oh well, at least i'm not losing my mind or strapped into a wheelchair. If only the NHS over here had cannabis on prescription like they do in the States..

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:11 am

I'm not sure I'd be able to visit a loved one with dementia if they didn't remember me.

When I visited my grandmother on her dying bed, the woman next to her had it, and all I could see was her children trying to convince her that she's not 14 and that they're her children. I couldn't handle listening to it, and it wasn't even my family.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 am

My grandad had alzheimers and lived in a nursing home until he died. It wasnt a nice place to be but you couldnt do anything about it. Some days he was ok and we had a right laugh. We used to take our greyhounds to see him. They were good at the carehome and let us go to a private but big room and sit down with the dogs around. Most of the residents loved the dogs as well. Its just a horrible site seeing all these people so debelittled. My grandad was in the RAF and was a very proud man and to see his struggles at the end was heartbreaking.
100% Top Red

mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Miguel

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 am

Yeah it's grim. She was an amazingly strong woman. She'd be devastated if she could she the way she acts now.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:29 am

It beats the slugging a pint one, that was cringe worthy and it's for a good cause. Yes it's now a popularity contest but that's life isn't it. How did it all come about in the first place? Whoever came up with it is a clever birth canal.
The guy who did actually drowned recently
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:12 am

The missus has been nominated. I pissed my pants and she responded with, "Well you'll be next" like some kind of shit threat.

She actually suggested that she would nominate our daughter. She's three.

Return to “Members Lounge”