Next Match: Image
CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.
Wednesday 27th September 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: Movies

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 am

Funny how two different people see the same thing completely different.

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Ive spoke to a few people about Jurassic World and reviews are very split - it seems to be a marmite type film..........i enjoyed it for what it was - it was never gonna come up against the original - which was a masterpiece. Sometimes i fear for reboots but i thought they did well enough.

Terminator on the other hand - i fear for big time - i could be surprised though
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Imo it wasn't even a good action-adventure movie. Maybe I should watch it again but three quarters of the film in and I was bored stiff.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Just watched Super. It's pretty fornicate dark, with a lot of tonal shifts. I liked it, but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:43 am

I just got back from the cimema from seeing Jurassic World.

TBH I really wasn't expecting much, but it was fornicate awesome. Arguably the best raptor scenes of the whole series; without doubt better than TLW and JP3 in that sense, and perhaps even better than TLW overall.

I loved all the little homages to the first film. I didn't think I was gonna like the hybrid, but in truth it was cool as fornicate and I really liked what they did with it.

Those raptors though. fornicate. Not quite as menacing as in JP1 but much more characterful and alive I thought. The speed of them, like machines.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:01 pm

The raptors were good and the homages to the first film just served to remind me how much of a wet fart JW is.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Well it was anything but a wet fart. A really cool film.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:13 am

Each top their own. I can't get over a tertible script and terrible acting, not even in an adventure/action film. It's like being slapped in the face with a wet trout; it's too obvious for me to ignore it.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:58 pm

I didn't find anything wrong with the script or the acting. Quality consistent with the series imo.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:23 pm

You said it...Given that 2 and 3 we're poor with average scenes, this would fit in with your opinion that JW's quality is consistent with 2 and 3. I'm not including the original here. It's a different animal, as it were. It's line saying further iterations of the Terminator films are of the same quality as Cameron's originals.

Ams yes, the script and acting was utter garbage in JW. This can't be in any doubt.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Yes it can be in doubt since it's just your opinion.

As great as Jurassic Park was, it wasn't known for having a great script or outstanding acting performances. Neither does Jurassic World have a great script or outstanding acting performances, but the script and the acting are quite adequate nevertheless.

The script and performances on show were certainly not utter garbage, just standard for this type of movie as was the case with the original.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:22 am

You understand that a script is more than just words, right?

The acting in JP1 is orders of magnitude better than the drab performances of Pratt and BDH and others.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am

t.d. wrote:You understand that a script is more than just words, right?
No, it is just words; a written document to aid the actors which gives them their lines along with details of any audio/visual cues they might have to react to.

Perhaps you're thinking of the screenplay?

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:42 am

Jeff Goldblum > Everyone else in the jurassic franchise.

If he's in it it rocks, if not it could be better.

Can we at least settle on that?

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:03 pm

Agreed.

I thought Chris Pratt was good in Jurassic World though. He was tough, funny, believable and his scenes with Bryce Dallas Howard throughout the movie were good to watch.

Other notables included the new park owner Irrfan Khan who again was an amusing character and the baddy played by Vincent D'Onofrio. It wasn't so keen on Jake Johnson and Lauren Lapkus, but meh, I didn't like Samuel L Jackson in the original either. BD Wong did a good job bringing continuity to the show.

I think if anyone goes into a Jurassic Park film expecting a cutting-edge script and superb acting performances then they're not in the right spirit and are inevitably going to be disappointed. The Jurassic Park series is as from high-brow cinema as you can possibly get and thus the script and performances therein are quite suitably hammed up.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

I forgot to mention the two kids, the brothers, who also did a good job imo. It was they who tied everything together and brought the humanity of emotion to the scenes with their story of a neglectful aunt, divorcing parents and the growing bond between the two of them as the movie wore on. There was no great acting on show, but that doesn't matter as it's not that kind of movie.

It was reminiscent of War of the Worlds imo (another great movie) in which Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning brought just enough emotional drama to the proceedings to validate the audience' investment in the characters and their survival. No great acting required as it's entirely secondary to the movie's reason for existing, but just enough time spent exploring relationships outside of immediate circumstances to make the viewer want for the survival of the main characters and thus increase tension.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Jeez Id fornicate hate to go see movies here with those that didn't enjoy Jurassic world
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Agreed.

I thought Chris Pratt was good in Jurassic World though. He was tough, funny, believable and his scenes with Bryce Dallas Howard throughout the movie were good to watch.

Other notables included the new park owner Irrfan Khan who again was an amusing character and the baddy played by Vincent D'Onofrio. It wasn't so keen on Jake Johnson and Lauren Lapkus, but meh, I didn't like Samuel L Jackson in the original either. BD Wong did a good job bringing continuity to the show.

I think if anyone goes into a Jurassic Park film expecting a cutting-edge script and superb acting performances then they're not in the right spirit and are inevitably going to be disappointed. The Jurassic Park series is as from high-brow cinema as you can possibly get and thus the script and performances therein are quite suitably hammed up.
I actually really enjoyed Jake Johnsons role in the film
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Sandies wrote:Jeez Id fornicate hate to go see movies here with those that didn't enjoy Jurassic world
I love a good action/adventure movie. I just found JW to be really poor.

You like what you like, clearly. Art is very subjective, which is why I didn't like it give or take a few scenes and the use of the original score when it was used.

And no, obviously I don't go to see films like these for fine acting to rival Ian McKellan and Ian Holm, and neither do I go for the script. I do, however, watch them to be entertained, and that to me does include some good acting with a decent script and direction, which were all lacking in JW.

Oh yeah, the attempts at humour in JW were really embarrassing.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:23 pm

Fair point about the kids, Mav. Their plight almost brought some human realism to the show. I say almost because I wouldn't have cared if they died. They're was very minimal character development going on there. It's a shame that was neglected in favour of the bloated dinosaur action. Trim the fat off the dino action and ramp up the threat towards the kids and it would've been quite a bit better.

Less is more as they say.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:17 pm

I can't argue with that. The movie was far more large-scale than the original, and that can be seen in the total death toll for either film:

JP: 5
JW: 22

Admittedly tension levels suffer somewhat because of this; because this is a fully populated theme park in peak operating time rather than an evacuated park not yet opened.

The action was thus much more adrenaline charged than it was nail biting, and it certainly wasn't as good as the original film, and imo nothing ever will be. Not being as good as the original doesn't equate to it being utter garbage though; the dinosaur action here traded tension for outright high octane and indulgent badness, and it worked an absolute treat!

During the final set-piece I was literally whooping like an excited child in the cinema at all the fornicate batshit crazy coolness going on. The raptors throughout were sleek as fornicate killing machines and we got to see them pegging-it full ball for once, which was awesome. The indominous rex was a seriously mean serial killer on a rampage. The mosasaurus was gigantic, the pteranodons were proper dangerous little birth canal and... well I won't spoil it.

Yeah the comic relief was hit and miss, but so what? The original movie was no different unless you find a dinosaur sneezing to be particularly hilarious. There were some funny lines here nevertheless though and lots of little homages to the original film to look out for; I particularly liked seeing Mr DNA and Tim's old night-vision goggles.

Overall it was just a really cool and well made action movie which did dinosaurs really, really well. It was violent, vibrant, atmospheric, nostalgic, epic and just totally awesome. A truly worthy and unexpected sequel to one of the best films ever made.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Dinosaur sneezing is objectively the funniest thing ever, aside from bleeped out swearing.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Yeah the original had a big pile of dinosaur poo in it also.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Mate, Sam Jackson was good in it, you need to accept this.

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Sam Jackson is brilliant in every fornicate film he's ever fornicate been in.

Return to “Members Lounge”