Next Match: Image
CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.
Wednesday 27th September 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Re: Movies

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Jurassic World looks so shit.
I loved the first couple and was super excited when I heard there was another one coming. I watched the preview for Jurassic World and my first reaction was what the fornicate. Looks terrible and it's beyond terrible casting.

"Make America Great Again!"

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:55 pm

It is Spielberg though so it might yet turn out alright. It just looks so dumb on the trailer. Jurassic Park is my favourite movie or all time so fingers crossed.

Aside from how cheesy it looks, the thrill of Jurassic Park for me is in seeing dinosaurs on-screen and knowing that these monsters actually once walked the Earth.

Now, I know that the frilly-necked poison-spitting dinosaur never actually existed and that velocirapters were only 12" tall in reality, but I didn't know that on first viewing of the original so nothing was spoilt by these subtle acts of poetic license.

Jurassic World announces right there in the trailer though that they've invented a hybrid dinosaur, so the entire premise of the movie is that the main dinosaur never actually existed! I just can't be arsed with that. What's the point? Is it the case that regular old Joe Bloggs dinosaurs aren't cool enough and you need a super-mean fictional dinosaur or else you won't enjoy seeing them? No. Dinosaurs rock so why fornicate with them?

Even so, this wouldn't be sooooo bad if the trailer didn't make it all look so fornicate cheesy. Where's Jeff Goldblum? Where's Sam Neil? Where's Laura Dern? Why does the entire cast look like it's just stepped off set of a Disney Channel kid-com? You can't enlist a crack team of rapters and swan about the place on a motorbike with them ffs, that's not Jurassic Park!
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Looks like a very tired plot line so to compensate go over board with special effects, actions sequences, kids in danger and may be a romantic couple that grow as a couple after being enemy's at the begining of the movie.

I will probably take the granddaughter because she loves anything to do with dinosaurs but I just do not see me enjoying it much.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:03 am

It seems to be a complete reboot of the franchise - as much as i would to have loved Goldblum and Neill, they have ran their course i suppose and its time for some new blood.

I loved Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy, so im hoping for good things from him.

I suppose we are getting too old and its a new generation now.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:15 am

Yeah, TBF Guardians of the Galaxy looked shit on the trailer.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:26 am

I think the idea had potential, and I don't mind none of the originals being involved, but they completely lost me in the trailer on the line:

"What kinda dinosaur they cooked up in that lab"
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed May 06, 2015 7:53 am

Inbetweeners 2 (2014)
Being an unashamed fan of the series and the first movie, I worried for this sequel in thinking that the format may well have already gone the distance and that a second feature length movie would prove to be a bridge too far for the now visibly older quartet of leads whose characters have grown little in the six years since first airing on E4 in 2008.

This time the lads have swapped a holiday in Malia for backpacking in Australia, and for the opening half hour or so the sun truly did seem to be setting upon the formula here as this time is predominantly spent regurgitating old gags from the show whilst diligently setting the scene for the upcoming shenanigans. Unfortunately, laughs seemed rather hard to come by at this point.

When the boys get properly on the road though, whilst the jokes don't get any more original to the series particularly, they certainly get quite a bit more funny. The gross-out gags hit the mark and the chemistry on-screen improves beyond earlier lip-service as the script becomes a little less forced and more enjoyable.

Due to the format taking the strain as the characters have grown older, that the film never quite achieves the same impact as that of the original series should come as no surprise. Nevertheless this isn't a bad swansong, and one which does feel somewhat deserved. After an awkward start, the missus and I were laughing along by the end and each agreed that we enjoyed it, which is about all you can expect for a second feature length outing based upon a throwaway 20min sit-com concerning the antics of four suburban high-school teens from 2008.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Tue May 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Since its first film, the Jurassic Park film franchise has been on the same level as the Harry Potter films. The Lost World has to go down as one of Spielberg's worst films. I just don't understand why he had to mess around with the book so much.

I haven't seen any of the recent Oscar contenders [apart from Interstellar], so can't comment there. I am looking forward to catching up, though, and also looking forward to the following films:

- Mr. Holmes
- Crimson Peak
- Bridge of Spies
- Spectre
- Star Wars
- The Reverant
- The Hateful Eight

The last film I watched - if you can call it a 'film' - was The Sculptress. A brilliant adaptation of Minette Walters's novel of the same name with a superb performance by Pauline Quirke, and good performances by Caroline Goodall and Christopher Fulford. There's a big plot hole towards the end, which I will not give away, which takes half a star [pedantic? me?] from my rating. I can get over it because it's such a good production overall. 4.5/5. In one of the rare instances, I would say you can forego the book and watch the film first. Not that the book isn't good, but the TV film is more effective with certain things.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue May 12, 2015 3:11 pm

The Lost World was awesome!

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:The Lost World was awesome!
C'mon now, Marv. :P It's a guilty pleasure though and I've seen it countless times. :dance:
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Whilst taken as a whole The Lost World isn't as coherent as the first movie, it has many incredible scenes nevertheless.

The compys attack the little girl
The stegosaurus attack
The dual-tyranosaur attack
The trailer over the cliff
The compys kill the henchman
The tyrannosaur attacks the campsite
The raptors in the long grass
The entire San Diego incident

It's an amazing film and only really let down by a bit of silliness during the raptor mini-bossfight when Jeff Goldblum's daughter does her stupid gymnastics routine and suddenly goes all Jackie Chan kicking them in the head and that.

The San Diego scenes were somewhat polarising at the time, but personally I thought it was awesome. It's a t-rex going apeshit in a crowded metropolis, what more could you ask for?!

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 pm

I loved Lost World - it blew my mind.

The trailor over the cliff scene was fantastic.

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed May 27, 2015 8:10 am

Mad Max:Fury Road is very impressive.

Totally and utterly nuts

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 am

I really really enjoyed it

Charlize (l)
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed May 27, 2015 12:38 pm

The new movie "Spy" was surprisingly enjoyable
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Wed May 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Giants14 wrote:Mad Max:Fury Road is very impressive.

Totally and utterly nuts
**************Below lies what may be construed as a tiny spoiler******************

It's just one long car chase that film. Until they turn around halfway and do it all again. Not bad though.
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Wed May 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Saw Avengers too, this type of film is not my cup of tea usually and the avengers did nothing to convince me of the merits of superhero films.

Saw American sniper too, interesting enough but nothing amazing in my opinion. I'd like to read the book just to read in more detail about his time there.
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Redlyn
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Lyn

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Ex Machina. Great sci fi.
It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:37 pm

The Inbetweeners 2. Turned it off after 15 minutes. Utter shyte.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 pm

Mushy peas wrote:Saw Avengers too, this type of film is not my cup of tea usually and the avengers did nothing to convince me of the merits of superhero films.

Saw American sniper too, interesting enough but nothing amazing in my opinion. I'd like to read the book just to read in more detail about his time there.
I am tempted to watch American Sniper. I usually avoid those American propaganda movies, but i've been told that ones actually good.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Anyone see Jurassic Park this weekend? It gets surprisingly good reviews. Despite looking terrible I may have to go see it. If it does turn out good I would regret not seeing it on the big screen in 3D.

I saw San Andreas this weekend. I really liked it. Pretty predictable and at times cheesy, but pretty exciting, very realistic looking and its got the Rock.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:38 pm

Has anyone seen the movie St. Vincent with Bill Murray? Great film, probably the best I have seen in a while.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:00 am

Yeah Ive seen it. Was very good

Saw the Entourage movie as well, if you liked the series you will fornicate love it
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:58 am

I seen Jurassic World on saturday.

It was very very good - it was never going to be as good as the first one but it did a damn good job. I know Speilberg was a producer on this one but it missed a number of 'Spielberg' moments that made the first couple so good - ripple in the water when the T Rex approaches etc.

Decent casting, action scenes done well with some silliness thrown in for good measure -cant help but smile when the score plays throughout.

Id happily go and see it again.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Jurassic World was utter shyte. Shyte acting, shyte screenplay, no tension or suspense created at all. The best part came when the raptors interacted with the big dinosaur. The fact that Spielberg was a producer means zip - he's there for the money.

Even as an popcorn movie or was strained. You can't undo a terrible screenplay especially when the acting is uttet garbage.

All i took from this film is that it's now official no subsequent JP films will even match - let alone surpass - the original.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Return to “Members Lounge”