Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Premier League.
Saturday 19th August 2017, KO 12:30 BST.
Keano
First Team Player
First Team Player

NBA

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 pm

I know a couple of people on here watch some basketball every now and then, so I would like to know what they think about this and that.

* Kobe Bryant has passed Michael Jordan in All-Time scoring in the NBA.
* Kevin Durant becoming the second youngest player to reach 15,000 points.
* Golden State and Toronto leading the conferences.
* Rondo is Dallas-bound.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Re: NBA

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:06 am

I had Space Jam on the Megadrive when I was a kid. That was alright, though I've never actually watched a basketball game.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:10 am

I've just bought NBA 2k14 for the Xbox One to see if it's any better than Space Jam was.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:57 am

Golden State are doing pretty well right now but I don't see them going far without a low-post scorer. I know this is straight off the Charles Barkley playbook, but you're not beating the likes of Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Mavs etc by shooting jumpers all game. All of those teams would kill them.

I've got no idea as to who'll win the West. Its as competitive as I can ever remember it being. Any one of Spurs, Thunder, Mavs, Clippers or Grizzlies can win it. Its so open.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Scott

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:49 pm

I still hate the Rondo trade for Dallas.
Follow me on Twitter: @ScottASpecht

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:36 am

Mavs have got their Kidd from 2011 championship team in Rondo.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:00 am

Rondo for ?

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Bit pieces and draft picks.

Keano
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Golden State are doing pretty well right now but I don't see them going far without a low-post scorer. I know this is straight off the Charles Barkley playbook, but you're not beating the likes of Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Mavs etc by shooting jumpers all game. All of those teams would kill them.

I've got no  idea as to who'll win the West. Its as competitive as I can ever remember it being. Any one of Spurs, Thunder, Mavs, Clippers or Grizzlies can win it. Its so open.
I think that is harsh on Golden State. Bogut is useful as is Lee when fit, and their backcourt is good enough to win most games on their own. It's hard to judge unsettled teams in terms of injury like the Spurs or OKC, but Golden State are the team to beat at the moment. The Mavs are a very good side, and I've been very impressed with Memphis as well. Not so much with the Clippers though.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I've got no  idea as to who'll win the West. Its as competitive as I can ever remember it being. Any one of Spurs, Thunder, Mavs, Clippers or Grizzlies can win it. Its so open.
I think that is harsh on Golden State. Bogut is useful as is Lee when fit, and their backcourt is good enough to win most games on their own. It's hard to judge unsettled teams in terms of injury like the Spurs or OKC, but Golden State are the team to beat at the moment. The Mavs are a very good side, and I've been very impressed with Memphis as well. Not so much with the Clippers though.
Bogut is so injury-prone it's hard to rely on him being fit for two months during the playoffs. Without him, they can get through in the regular season, but I can't see them even winning a playoff series without him. His rim protection is that crucial to their chances. They need a low post scorer. It is extremely tough to win a title without it, unless you have a beast like LeBron or Durant. That is one of the aspects the Thunder have to improve on. Starting Steven Adams over Perkins is a good start and having Ibaka there as well certain helps as he is good at spreading the floor as well now. You definitely need to have some scoring down low. Look at every championship team over the past decade and you'll see there has always been one (apart from LeBron's Miami Heat team).

As for Memphis, I completely agree. They're gonna be a huge pain in the ass. Its going to be a grind if you're to overcome them in the playoffs (unless you're the Spurs). Adding Vince Carter has only made them better (surprised Mavs didn't retain him). They're one of 4 favourites to come out of the West alongwith Thunder, Spurs and Mavs. I don't see the Clippers going too far.

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 pm

That's a terrible comparison. Kidd was an older player who gave us veteran leadership and shooting. The respect he got from officials when he was guarding the likes of KD and LeBron were a big part of winning those series.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 pm

That's a terrible comparison. Kidd was an older player who gave us veteran leadership and shooting. The respect he got from officials when he was guarding the likes of KD and LeBron were a big part of winning those series.
Except for the shooting part (where the difference is vast), I think Rondo is a good comparison imo. He is just as good defensively. I remember few seasons ago he went toe-to-toe with LeBron in that ECF series which the Heat won 4-3.

Keano
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 am

Rondo is underrated defensively IMO, but he really is a terrible shooter. Almost no threat whatsoever.

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:35 pm

I think people haven't watched him enough the last two years to realize he isn't that player anymore.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:05 am

He's been poor last two seasons, yes, but so was Monta before he joined Dallas. Carlisle is damn good coach to get the best out of Rondo again, just like he did with Monta.

Keano
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:54 am

Playoff picture at the moment:

East:

1) Toronto 24-8
2) Atlanta 23-8
3) Washington 22-9
4) Chicago 23-10
5) Cleveland 19-14
6) Milwaukee 17-16
7) Brooklyn 16-16
8) Miami 14-19
9) Boston 11-18
10) Indiana 12-21

West:

1) Golden State 25-2
2) Portland 26-7
3) Memphis 23-8
4) Houston 22-9
5) Dallas 23-10
6) Clippers 22-11
7) San Antonio 20-14
8) Phoenix 18-16
9) New Orleans 16-16
10) Oklahoma 16-17

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:27 pm

The West is just brutal. Finishing first or second could get you the Spurs or Thunder in the first round.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:27 pm

I think if KD and Westbrook stay fit for the remaining 48 games, the Thunder can win up to 52 games and get up to 7th or even 6th seed in the West. Spurs will rise higher too once Leonard returns. Fancy Rockets to plummet a little (personally think they're being way overrated by some folks). They're really not that great. Adding Josh Smith just made them worse. Howard will always be a liability to them going deeper in the playoffs, mainly due to his poor FT shooting. Harden has been a beast this season but he can't do it alone.

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:21 am

The playoffs are just around the corner! Any more NBA fans here as well?

Return to “Members Lounge”