Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 1st April 2017, KO 15:00 BST.
Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Re: Gym.

1 year ago

Walking is great for you. Would recommend a long walk to anyone, it's good for the mind too.
Last edited by Ydrah.Tom on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

1 year ago

See I've read/heard any sort of excersize is only really worth it if you push it to the limit. My walk to work is a pretty easy 30 mins or 20 if I try walking quite fast but I don't really want to be sweaty before I start working.
100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

Whenever I used to do any sort of long distance running I would always get injured. That was probably my own fault in part as I'd up the mileage too quickly and run on roads.

Long walks are fine and relaxing.
Make football fabulous again!

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

See I've read/heard any sort of excersize is only really worth it if you push it to the limit.
Not true at all.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

Couldn't be bigger bollocks.

Any exercise at all (except overdoing it) is good exercise.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

In order to run a quicker mile, or to lift a heavier weight, one has to break the equilibrium. In order to improve then you have to stress your body, and it will then adapt.

In a way you have to push yourself to the limit, actually *over* the limit. Even the basic jog/walk will require this. If all you do is walk 60s and then run 30s, then that's all you'll be able to do unless you break the equilibrium and push yourself over this 'limit'.

Of course this is only true up to a point; if all you want to do is to run a few miles a day then just push yourself to this limit and maintain this equilibrium.

Unless of course you're talking about "pushing yourself to the limit" in the context of broscience, where one has to go flat out all the time? In which case it's a load of bollocks.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

I've always run on and off since I was a child and ran competitively for my school. 800m and 1500m were my races; I was in the top three in my school year, but never managed anything of note in inter-school competition. I enjoyed running and was good at it, but didn't give too much of a fornicate about it tbh. The two lads I was competitive with didn't appreciate that one of the naughty kids who never trained could match them for pace, and my mates and I found that quite funny.

I was always a skinny kid at school though. Since reaching adulthood I bulked up with regular weightlifting, which then ran to fat when I stopped bothering in my mid-20's.

I'm 31 now and over the last few years I've been steadily putting on weigh. In January this year I weighed 16st, but then in February I got a gallbladder infection and literally could not eat for about ten days, which caused me to lose weight quite rapidly. Upon recovery I decided that I'd actually quite like to lose weight and get back to my purely muscley physique, so I've been dieting and exercising ever since; 2100 calories a day and running to work and back along with 60 press-ups a day and 100 or so squats. I'm now down to 14st 6lb and I look and feel hard again rather than just a bit podgy.

It's not the best picture but you can see the difference in this pick from a few weeks ago:

Whereas you can see how much chubbier I was last year:

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

In order to run a quicker mile, or to lift a heavier weight, one has to break the equilibrium. In order to improve then you have to stress your body, and it will then adapt.

In a way you have to push yourself to the limit, actually *over* the limit. Even the basic jog/walk will require this. If all you do is walk 60s and then run 30s, then that's all you'll be able to do unless you break the equilibrium and push yourself over this 'limit'.

Of course this is only true up to a point; if all you want to do is to run a few miles a day then just push yourself to this limit and maintain this equilibrium.

Unless of course you're talking about "pushing yourself to the limit" in the context of broscience, where one has to go flat out all the time? In which case it's a load of bollocks.
You don't have to be improving lap times or increasing lifting weight to be doing good exercise though. I run simply to keep my net calorie intake down, and I certainly don't have to push myself to the limit for that.

It's worth it because it burns calories and conditions the muscles and respiratory system. I'm not the least bit arsed about how fast I can go; I just want to keep my fat levels down, look hunky for the missus and be able to fornicate her full-ball without feeling knackered afterwards.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

Kudos to, Mav. Wish I had the same dedication.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

You don't have to be improving lap times or increasing lifting weight to be doing good exercise though. I run simply to keep my net calorie intake down, and I certainly don't have to push myself to the limit for that.

It's worth it because it burns calories and conditions the muscles and respiratory system. I'm not the least bit arsed about how fast I can go; I just want to keep my fat levels down, look hunky for the missus and be able to fornicate her full-ball without feeling knackered afterwards.
You're right and I agree. What I was trying to say was that if you do want to 'improve' then you'll have to apply "push yourself to the limit" mantra, so long as it's done sensibly. This is ubiquitous in life.

I personally don't count calories. When I've been eating properly, I've found that what I eat is more important. During my periods of being consistent I eat about 2400-2600 calories a day, and I've been able to lose fat easily even when I wasn't exercising much. You do what works best for you obviously. Your routine has been doing the business clearly!
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

Today I'm officially back on my eating plan.

Breakfast this morning:

5 large eggs scrambled with butter, olive oil and some bacon cube things, whole (small) avocado.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

1 year ago

Nice one Maverick, you're my hero

I do like to track my times though cause I get bored when I'm running and start pondering various questions then realise I'm running too slowly. Knowing my times gives a better incentive.

Also how do you keep track of your calories, you you weigh your food?
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

I use MyFitnessPal to keep count of my calories and MapMyFitness to time and track my runs. You sync them together so that any calories burnt running are automatically knocked off your net calorie intake for each day.

You scan the barcodes of whatever food you eat and yeah, I bought some kitchen scales to weigh out pasta and whatnot. After a couple months of doing that though you gradually come to learn the calorie content of the various foods you eat, so that makes things easier as you then don't have to use the app quite so thoroughly.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

The thing with calories is that their importance has been vastly over-exaggerated. What you eat is far more important. A calorie of carbohydrate is metabolised differently to fat, which is metabolised differently to protein.

Why not just eat when you're hungry and until you're satiated? This would be difficult to carry out on a conventional diet high in carbohydrate of course, given that one would consume high quantities of sugar during the day to avoid crashing out.

Running on fat is doable, hell it's even more optimal than running on a high carb diet given that fat burns at a steadier rate than sugar, and so lasts longer.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

Yeah the app takes all that into consideration too.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

1 year ago

Tbf Tryst, whatever Maverick has done appears to have worked
100% Top Red

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

It has, but everyone's different in both their goals, motivations and preferred methods.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

I'm not telling him what he should or shouldn't be doing. I even mentioned that his way works for him. The best way to being healthy is the plan that you can stick to.

I don't agree with keeping track of calories, but that's just me. I know that if I eat a high carb diet then I suffer mentally and my exercises do.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

[quote="t.d."]

Why not just eat when you're hungry and until you're satiated? /quote]because it's hard.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

I eat until I stop being hungry. Feeling "full" doesn't happen, it makes me feel sick.

Hope this helps.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

Mushy, if you lower carbs and up the fat it's easy. Sometimes I wake up and don't need anything until late afternoon/dinner time. This isn't a fad or anything. When you burn fat for energy you're not reliant on sugar for your energy, which burns quickly.
Break up the Union.

― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

I've signed up for a half marathon. I'm gonna be fit as fornicate lads.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Dante
Referee
Referee

1 year ago

You already are.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

1 year ago

I've signed up for a half marathon. I'm gonna be fit as fornicate lads.
How long to go until you run it and are you going to train for it? I remember you said you had gotten rather rotund recently I think.
Make football fabulous again!

Glorio
International Player
International Player

1 year ago

Recently bought an indoor exercise bike from bodymax and installed bitgym (an App) on my phone and tablet. It measures your movements as you cycle to calculate rpm and estimated burnt calories based also on your age, height, and weight. The great thing about bitgym though is it has a large number of exotic virtual trails and it takes you through the trails as you cycle according to your actual pace (of course it can't really take pedal resistance into account).

I still look slim-ish for my height but I've bulked up a bit and now, when intentionally let go of my posture my belly has lately been showing. Same happens when I sit (I get folds), so I've been riding for 30 mins while watching evening TV. I basically alternate between watching the telly and following the trails to keep it interesting
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Return to “Members Lounge”