Next Match: Image
Southampton in the Premier League.
Saturday 23rd September 2017, KO 15:00 BST.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Memorial Service Thoughts

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm

On Wednesday 6th February, I will be attending the memorial service at Old Trafford.

Whilst it's an honour for me to be attending, if you can call it that, I feel a sense of guilt at what may be considered a private occasion for those attending who have been directly affected by the disaster.

Sadly, I am no where near old enough to have witnessed the Babes play and can only rely on what I have been told, what I have read and what has been shared by the great members on this forum.
Although still young, I am old enough to recognise the significance of that fateful day and how the future of Manchester United changed forever in a matter of minutes.
I am a footballing man and as my "coming of age" approaches, I know in my heart of hearts that so far, my whole life has been dedicated to Manchester United and it will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I know that although some may consider me to be an outsider, I will be there with my head held high. I will share the grief but at the same time; I will celebrate the short lives of a truly great team yet will wonder, and will always wonder, what might have been.

Keep the flag flying.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

Re: Memorial Service Thoughts

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 pm

I think that people who are old enough will be especially touched to see you there, many will be reassured that the memory of The Babes will live on

My own Father was always troubled by the thought that once his generation had gone there would be nobody left to remember or honour them, your presence will dispel those troubles

You're the next standard bearers for this Club, us older fans now know that the responsibility of honouring and remembering The Babes and Manchester United is in safe hands

And thankfully with you and people like you, The Red Flag will fly high indeed, it's an honour to know a true United fan like yourself

Thank you for being there to represent those of us who can't

Hughsy
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Lawman wrote:I think that people who are old enough will be especially touched to see you there, many will be reassured that the memory of The Babes will live on

My own Father was always troubled by the thought that once his generation had gone there would be nobody left to remember or honour them, your presence will dispel those troubles

You're the next standard bearers for this Club, us older fans now know that the responsibility of honouring and remembering The Babes and Manchester United is in safe hands

And thankfully with you and people like you, The Red Flag will fly high indeed, it's an honour to know a true United fan like yourself

Thank you for being there to represent those of us who can't

Well spoken Ronaldo07, and totally agree with John, its the younger ones like yourself who we 're proud off in representing us fellow United supporters.Our thoughts and goodwill we be with the Babes and yorself. (Y)
[hr][/hr]Please remove your own signatures on future posts

dannywoodvine
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Daniel

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Are you going the Full service including after dinner etc.. or just the memorial?

I am not old enough to recal it either mate, i have had it passed down to me by my Grandad so i have only ever heard his stories, i would like to also see it from other peoples perspective and will be having a good listen as wel

Its like war hereos that die we all mourn them even if we never knew them, its respect for them fighting for our country, These players had such short lives but they made United what they are today and with out them where would we stand?, i think its great that you respect the past, not all fans are like this in todays age and we need more people to be like the people on this forum

I for one will be sitting there with my head held high, thinking what it was like for the players that died on that fatefull day and my heart goes out to all of there familys
My Grandad put it perfectly last night on UTV, imagine the pain of the familys, they have this ray of light in their family and the grandparents, Parents and kids are proud of this one player who is playing for the busby babes, and to have that snatched away from them at such a young age and having to live with it for the rest of their lives, thats what this day is for, celebrating the lives of these young players and making their family feel proud of the presence they made on FANS alike around the world

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Johnny

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:27 pm

You are no outsider mate. It's obvious your heart is Man Utd, i hope it's not too emotional for you. Enjoy is totally the wrong word, but i hope the memorial is uplifting for you.

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Rash

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:33 pm

(Y)

good reading

im touched

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks all for your replies so far.

Danny - I'll just be attending the memorial service. I wasn't aware that there was a dinner or anything.

Romulus

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:18 pm

I agree with everyone here, I don't want to compare this to was ememorials, but you always see a twinkle in veteran's eyes when they see young people remembering what they did. As John said, the kids of today will be the standard bearers of tommorow. What better way than to be present there.
Keep The Red Flag Flying High mate.

Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Lea

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:33 pm

I can only reiterate what others have so eloquently said. The older generation, I hope, will be assured in the knowledge that the next generation of United fans will remember and honour the babes - indeed, how can we not when every weekend we see their great legacy on the pitch? I envy you for being able to attend this memorial, I'm sure it will be a very moving and poignant day for you and all who are there, one that you, as a United fan, will always cherish.

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Suvash

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:51 am

luthien wrote:I can only reiterate what others have so eloquently said. The older generation, I hope, will be assured in the knowledge that the next generation of United fans will remember and honour the babes - indeed, how can we not when every weekend we see their great legacy on the pitch? I envy you for being able to attend this memorial, I'm sure it will be a very moving and poignant day for you and all who are there, one that you, as a United fan, will always cherish.
My sentiments exactly

Return to “Munich Remembered”