Next Match: Image
Leicester City in the Premier League.
Saturday 26th August 2017, KO 17:30 BST.
Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

Tributes From other boards

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 am

A selection From the Liverpool Board

Kopite Join Date: Mar 2002

Munich Air Disaster - 50th Anniversary February 6th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do hope this thread will be treated with the greatest of respect and that all will remember that this is in honour of those footballers who died fifty years ago....
I wonder how many of you will remember this day ?? Not too many I imagine. I well remember it. I had just finished work at the Automatic Telephone Company on Edge Lane and was on the 6E tram going to Bowring Park and found one of my best friends, Johnny on the tram crying. I asked him what was wrong and Johnny told me of the plane crash. Johnny and I had been best friends since first days of school (Rudston Road Primary) and Johnny was a Man Utd supporter. He did not know much of the disaster, it had only occurred a couple of hours before. When we got off the tram I asked Johnny to come into my house as we had a 12" t.v. and we might get some news of it on the telly. (by the way a 12" t.v. was quite the t.v. in them days). I asked him in much to my mothers annoyance, but when she heard what was going on she quickly prepared him a little supper. The rest is history...But back to the real reason for this thread. No matter what team you supported in that day, this disaster affected us all (Liverpool were still in the 2nd division then and there where those of us in awe at some of the players in that team). Dead at the scene were the likes of Roger Byrne, Tommy Taylor and David Pegg..to die days later was Duncan Edwards, just 21 yrs old and likely to have been the greatest footballer to come out of Britain ever..His manager Matt Busby survived after being given the "Last Rites" twice, and do not forget Matt used to play for liverpool. So, I ask you to kindly put aside your hatred for Man Utd on this day and remember these footballers who died so tragically. Remember that we ARE ALL FOOTBALL FANS. Writing this I wonder where my friend Johnny is now, I will think of you Johnny. I now live in Canada and have not seen him for over thirty years.

enrico
View Public Profile
Find all posts by enrico
Add enrico to Your Buddy List

#2 4-2-08, 13:24
dreams-come-true
Kopite Join Date: Aug 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP Busby Babes!
I live in Munich and see that church steeple often and think about the poor guys who lost their lives all those years ago.

#5 4-2-08, 13:29
Redrobbo
Kopite Join Date: Aug 2001

Put petty hatred aside

I concur Enerico. As usual you are showing what a true gent and sportsman today.

We should all just take a moment to remember. This was a team which had just won back to back league titles stuffed with 21 and 22 year olds.

I was too young at 7 months to possibly be affected at the time. But I grew up halfway between Liverpool and Manchester so all my schoolmates were split Liverpool/Everton/ManU and City so we were all pretty tolerant and I got to know more then.

RIP

#12 4-2-08, 13:34
Boston-Sox
Kopite Join Date: Oct 2005

It was a tragedy and should never be forgotton
R.I.P. Busby Babes

Boston-Sox
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Boston-Sox
Add Boston-Sox to Your Buddy List

#13 4-2-08, 13:42
enrico
Kopite Join Date: Mar 2002

aylesbyred

I posted this a couple of days early so that some of you who may be not too aware of this tragedy can read up on it and thusly be able to show proper dignity on February 6th. I suggest a good website to read is munich58.co.uk

#16 4-2-08, 14:15
Red-Kola
Kopite Join Date: Jan 2002

Rip The Busby Babes....!!!

#18 4-2-08, 14:21
Donaldo
Kopite Join Date: May 2002

A club with a tradition like ours should have no difficulty in showing respect to the dead of another rival. Whether they do the same or not is absolutely irrelevant as we have our standards and others have theirs.

RIP.

Donaldo
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Donaldo
Add Donaldo to Your Buddy List

#19 4-2-08, 14:28
2sheds
Kopite Join Date: Jun 2005

RIP. I've never really hated utd so it amazes me that people can really think that these little rivalries are more important than life and death.

2sheds
View Public Profile
Find all posts by 2sheds
Add 2sheds to Your Buddy List

#20 4-2-08, 14:28
ladyanfield4ever
Kopite Join Date: Jun 2007

I Hate Man U , But putting that aside , this was a Terrible tragedy
RIP Busby Babes

#22 4-2-08, 14:33
foreverred-1973
Kopite Join Date: Nov 2001

Yanks Out Now

RIP Busby Babes!

foreverred-1973
View Public Profile
Find all posts by foreverred-1973
Add foreverred-1973 to Your Buddy List

#23 4-2-08, 14:37
clumsyclaw1974
Kopite Join Date: Feb 2007

The vast majority of United fans DO respect the tragedy of 96 lifes being lost simply because they decided to go and watch a football game. Only the simplest morons insist on singing hateful songs about it.

The same as the vast majority of us respect the work Sir Matt Busby was doing with a young, talent filled squad. We respect the foundations he laid for the principles of building a side to success, and we respect the sadness and sorrow of the lives cut short by a terrible accident. Red, Blue or polka dots - the colour of the shirt they wore does not make the loss a life anythong less than a tragic event.

We all support different teams, but we all follow the same game for the same reasons.

#27 4-2-08, 14:48
clumsyclaw1974
Kopite Join Date: Feb 2007

Yes, and my Mum, a life long United fan, died 2 months ago. This event was a significant event in her life, and she mourned the loss of these lads at the time. She would have had her moments silence with all the other United fans - I'll do it in her absence.

Respect costs nothing.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Tributes From other boards

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 am

Believe it or not - Liverpools board is the only one that has a tribute

Maybe some people who sing certain songs should take note of that

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Siti

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:35 am

It has always been,i remember last year on the 40th years, they did one too...well done to them...they are the one i consider true football fans..Everything nice they did always touched me as a person... John did you happen to say thank you to them?

United > England
New Signing
New Signing
Call Me: Asri

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:53 am

Good on them to put rivalry aside and join us in this gloomy moment. Even though I hate Liverpool and i'm pretty sure most of them hate us too, its things like these that make them a big football club.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 am

It has always been,i remember last year on the 40th years, they did one too...well done to them...they are the one i consider true football fans..Everything nice they did always touched me as a person... John did you happen to say thank you to them?
I'm not a member there so I cant post - unfortuantely

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 am

Is that from their official forum?? If yes maybe i can pass on the message.

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 am

are you a member siti?
if you are maybe you could say we are all touched over here in unitedlounge...and thank them.

i always have faith in the human race and know most people realize that there is more to life(and death) then football.

RedManWalking
New Signing
New Signing

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 am

Sorry, i dont know how to link things but Arsenal forum has lots on it, Fleetwood Town FC have changed their header to include all who died and have a thread and Toronto FC Red Patch Boys have a United thread with lots of posts on it. Footballforums.net also has lots on it.
Nice to see others paying their respects.

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:38 am

thanks for bringing that to our attention,i will definitly go check them out (Y)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:35 am

does talking reds have a tribute?

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:38 am

Yes infact they too have the whole section for remembering munich... (Y) First time they make something right.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:09 am

Yes infact they too have the whole section for remembering munich... (Y) First time they make something right.
Yes they do - and it's pathetic, they didn't get it right - 48 posts on there and most look like they are made up by the Admins - one bloke has an airplane avatar on his thread - have a look, most of them have a posting history of 1 post - and one poster seems to have heard about the crash 3 hours before it happened

If they're going to fake posts, at least try and get the facts right

Munich Remembered
Post your memories and tributes to the Busby Babes
The Babes
Total posts 48

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:13 am

Funny how they let me in the Munich thread but nowhere else

I've been renamed again
Access Denied for spencerchongkw@yahoo.com.au
The account you are attempting to login with could not be completely activated.

Please contact your site administrator to activate the account or enable automatic account activation.

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:26 am

Yes they do - and it's pathetic, they didn't get it right - 48 posts on there and most look like they are made up by the Admins - one bloke has an airplane avatar on his thread - have a look, most of them have a posting history of 1 post - and one poster seems to have heard about the crash 3 hours before it happened

If they're going to fake posts, at least try and get the facts right

Munich Remembered
Post your memories and tributes to the Busby Babes
The Babes
Total posts 48

Really? I only see from the outside, cant open the page due to the opps message..will take a look once i got home. Sad but im very sure these people didnt know the extend of the tragedy and to make it worst, they have no one to educate them. :(

Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Lea

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:49 am

Thanks for posting that, John. I know I say things about hating Liverpool because of the fans, but I know there are some decent LFC fans out there who love their club as much as we love ours, but more than anything love the game of football itself. The Babes were legends of not just United, but of the footballing world as a whole. It's good to say that they're being respected by other football fans outside United.

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Johnny

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 am

Yeah, although i can't stand Liverpool, i take my hat off to the posters on that board who have recognised and honoured this sad day.

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:20 am

very touching, thank you liverpool fans (Y)

anci
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Anna

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

it's good to see people remember the importance to honour the dead...

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:25 pm

When it comes to life or death, nothing should come in the way of respect. Well done and thanks to those with sensible thinking and manners (Y)

RedAngel
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Cinders

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks John. It's very nice gesture from some of the liverpool fans.

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Link is dead

Return to “Munich Remembered”