Next Match: Image
Valerenga in a Pre-Season Friendly.
Sunday 30th July 2017, KO 18:00 BST.
Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

Personal stories and experiences.

9 years ago

Are you old enough to have been personally touched by the Babes or that dreadful day?

Do you recall where you were and how you heard about Munich?

Do you have any stories or annodotes about the players or staff from that time?

We would all love to share your experiences and treasure the memories you have. Please share it wih us.

[center][/center]

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

Re: Personal stories and experiences.

9 years ago

I have some vague and one or two clear memories of them and the disaster,

I can remember hearing the names of Duncan Edwards, Tommy Taylor and "Swivelhips" our Budgie was called Roger Byrne - There was one time I can remember being at our relations house in Pontesbury, They had a rare invention in their house - A TV - Dad, Uncle Jim and Brian were spinning me around as a group of men were on the Tele dancing and singing, we would stop and sing along with the words "A Bunch of Bouncing Busby Babes" - was probably around about 3 years old then, I remember other things about that holiday in Shropshire as well, some not as clear, Brian was around 17 I think, he used to make the journey to Old Trafford every week, since Munich he has only been to two matches - and that was with Dad to see a 17 year old George Best. and the European Cup Final

I can vividly remember the news of the crash, even though I didn't understand what had happened

Dad was in the back-kitchen having a shave, he suddenly came rushing in and turned the radio up full volume, something about a plane crash, I remember hearing the words "Many Players killed", and "Matt Busby not expected to live" Dad slumped down on the sofa with Granddad and Nan he still had shaving soap all his face and he was still holding his razor, it stands out because I'd never seen grown ups cry before, Nan just had her head in her hands sobbing

The memory of sitting on Dad shoulders and seeing the hearses going past as they brought the Babes home is crystal clear, how we got there, or how many there was I can't tell you but I can still see the flower laden coffins and the shiny black cars in the procession

The another bit of memory, Dad coming in from work and collapsing in Nans arm breaking his heart, I kept tugging at him saying "Daddy, please don't cry, please don't cry" Granddad took me away and told me "Big Dunc. has gone to Heaven"

I was at the next home game, so Dad tells me, I remember him telling me to be quite because Matt was talking over the Tannoys, I don't know if I remember that or it's because I was told it

But there's other stuff, although I can't put it all in any order, the curtains in every street were drawn, and Everton Brian and some of his mates coming over from Liverpool and sitting in the front room crying with Dad, apparently they were a mixture of Toffeemen and Kopites

The disaster had more long term effects than people realise - Dad and me always went in the Paddock together, for years and years around half an hour before the match I would see Dads eyes fill with tears, one day he told me - He would look out across the pitch and he could see the Babes playing, and it turned out that wasn't uncommon, I started looking around the Paddock after that and I used to notice a lot of older fans would suddenly go quiet and start brushing away a tear - I remember talking to JR about this same thing - he noticed that as well

© UNITEDLOUNGE.COM Reproducing this material, either in whole or in part, without the permission of unitedlounge.com is strictly prohibited

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

9 years ago

Whilst researching this subject I came upon the lyrics of a song I had not heard before so I thought, as a small tribute, I would reproduce them here (with appropriate credits):

I'll see you again my Red Devil friends
I'll hear you around my door
Touching my life like so many memories before

I was a child and so easily led
You were the leaders of men
Now I doubt in my life if this ever happens again

Oh, how I cried when my mama said
Busby's Babes, son, they're dead

Oh how I remember that miserable day
When something was taken from me
Out on a snow covered runway in West Germany

Oh, how I cried when my mama said
Busby's Babes, son, they're dead

(Iain Matthews, from the album "Pure & Crooked")

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Johnny

9 years ago

I can remember hearing the names of Duncan Edwards, Tommy Taylor and "Swivelhips" our Budgie was called Roger Byrne - There was one time I can remember being at our relations house in Pontesbury, They had a rare invention in their house - A TV - Dad, Uncle Jim and Brian were spinning me around as a group of men were on the Tele dancing and singing, we would stop and sing along with the words "A Bunch of Bouncing Busby Babes" - was probably around about 3 years old then, I remember other things about that holiday in Shropshire as well, some not as clear, Brian was around 17 I think, he used to make the journey to Old Trafford every week, since Munich he has only been to two matches - and that was with Dad to see a 17 year old George Best. and the European Cup Final

I can vividly remember the news of the crash, even though I didn't understand what had happened

Dad was in the back-kitchen having a shave, he suddenly came rushing in and turned the radio up full volume, something about a plane crash, I remember hearing the words "Many Players killed", and "Matt Busby not expected to live" Dad slumped down on the sofa with Granddad and Nan he still had shaving soap all his face and he was still holding his razor, it stands out because I'd never seen grown ups cry before, Nan just had her head in her hands sobbing

The memory of sitting on Dad shoulders and seeing the hearses going past as they brought the Babes home is crystal clear, how we got there, or how many there was I can't tell you but I can still see the flower laden coffins and the shiny black cars in the procession

The another bit of memory, Dad coming in from work and collapsing in Nans arm breaking his heart, I kept tugging at him saying "Daddy, please don't cry, please don't cry" Granddad took me away and told me "Big Dunc. has gone to Heaven"

I was at the next home game, so Dad tells me, I remember him telling me to be quite because Matt was talking over the Tannoys, I don't know if I remember that or it's because I was told it

But there's other stuff, although I can't put it all in any order, the curtains in every street were drawn, and Everton Brian and some of his mates coming over from Liverpool and sitting in the front room crying with Dad, apparently they were a mixture of Toffeemen and Kopites

The disaster had more long term effects than people realise - Dad and me always went in the Paddock together, for years and years around half an hour before the match I would see Dads eyes fill with tears, one day he told me - He would look out across the pitch and he could see the Babes playing, and it turned out that wasn't uncommon, I started looking around the Paddock after that and I used to notice a lot of older fans would suddenly go quiet and start brushing away a tear - I remember talking to JR about this same thing - he noticed that as well

© UNITEDLOUNGE.COM Reproducing this material, either in whole or in part, without the permission of unitedlounge.com is strictly prohibited
That is just a heart-breaking read Lawman, but thanks for sharing it with all on here

Super Tramp
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: A. Cab

9 years ago

not old enough, but my grand dad is and even today he has tears in his eyes when he talks about that dreadful day.
:cry:

Signature removed by mod: please switch off when posting in this Tribute forum

cockneyred
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: paul

9 years ago

Im only 22, but the amount I have read and seen about these great players is unbelieveable.
Most of it thanks to United Lounge. (Y)

signature disabled by Lawman - please remember to turn them off in here - thanks

t.d.
International Player
International Player

9 years ago

My uncle said he'll email me his account of the day before and the day of the crash

keep posted ;)

dannywoodvine
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Daniel

9 years ago

I was pointed in the direction of this forum by someone because of its wealth and knowledge of Munich

First of all WOW, much respect goes out to the guys that have created this subforum

Right i think i will introduce myself now :)

My name is Danny Woodvine i am 22 years of age, i wasnt around back then but i was brought up with it in my life since i was a young 'en

My grandad is Harry Gregg, i have grown up in my life with my grandad as a role model and have been told many stories about Munich, my grandad doesnt like to speak of it much as it brings back hurtfull memories
I Learnt about the 58 team well before i even knew who the present team were

I wasnt sure which forum to place this in or which post so i do appoligise, i will be going to the memorial on the 6th at Old Trafford and it will be a very upsetting day, but we should celebrate the lives of that which were lost on that fatal day 50 years ago

I would love to type more but im stuck in work at the moment, i do have some bits and pieces of memoriblia that i will post up if you would like?

Again alot of respect goes out to those that have created this wealth of knowledge on munich, keep it up the flowers of manchester will live forever :)

Many Thanks

Danny

Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Lea

9 years ago

Hi Danny, welcome to United Lounge, it's great to have you here, a relative of Harry Gregg! :shock:

Although I wasn't involved in the creation of this forum, I know a lot of hard work has gone into it and the anniversary means so much to United fans near and far, old and young. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that. I'd love to see some of your memoribilia too, that would be great.

Once again welcome, and thanks :)

dannywoodvine
Trainee
Trainee

9 years ago

Thanks alot for the welcome

I am very proud of him to say the least

I have a problem with the pictures, they say they are too big, the worst thing is i dont know how to re-size them :( , am i bet just putting the link to the photo's that i have on photobucket? And is this the best place to post them

Many Thanks

Danny

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 years ago

Hi Danny,

Thanks for stopping by - may I ask where did you hear about the site ? We're trying to increase our exposure as much as possible.

If you are unsure of how to re-size the images then you can just post the Photobucket links if that's easier or you could email me - dan@unitedlounge.com - and I can re-size them for you.

dannywoodvine
Trainee
Trainee

9 years ago

Thanks alot

I heard about it from someone i know on another forum as i had posted about munich etc on there and they pointed me in this direction as you have alot of information and tributes :)

Obviously with the anniversary coming up i was just seeing to see what tributes were on the WEB and hey presto here i am :)

Here are the links -
Me and My grandad :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... ndDan2.jpg

My Grandad got 6 of these for his children instead of being paid for the signing, my mother is the eldest (Linda)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... 008056.jpg

Here the programme from the 40 year anniversary - signed by the players that were alive at the time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... 008059.jpg

Thanks alot

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Siti

9 years ago

We should thank you Danny for sharing these photos..really appreciate.. ;) Your grandad is a real hero no matter what he said..anyway feel free to look around..dont be shy to share with us your thoughts or anything...and thanks again for the pics.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

9 years ago

Thanks Very Much for that Danny.

I hope that you can stay around on the board - you'll find it a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere with a lot of knowledgeable posters.

I'm looking forward to the memorial service on Wednesday. It will be a great opportunity to celebrate the lives of such a great team.

*11*Betsy*11*
New Signing
New Signing
Call Me: Beth

9 years ago

Wow great pictures. (Y)

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Rash

9 years ago

Im only 29 but when i was about 7 or 8

i remember my uncle telling me about the Air Disaster, who at the time was in his teens
now in the 80's, i was not allowed to go to the matches that often with my uncles
because of all the hooliganism...my mother was protective

but i remember in 1993 we played Sheffield United and i got a ticket for £4:00
yes £4!

and it was 35 years to Munich
i remember the minutes silence as it was my first minute silence at Old Trafford, it was so touching and emotional, the weather was dark and miserable/raining - we were losing 1-0
two goals in the end ...one from choccy to make it 1-1
and then cometh of the hour - King Eric made it 2-1

sorry i know this not exactly what you were looking for, as i am too young to remember Munich, but that was my first memories of the disaster and the history, from years ago

dannywoodvine
Trainee
Trainee

9 years ago

Funny you should say that sparky, my first game was the Sheffield united home game at Old Trafford back in 1993, i first met Paddy Crerend on that day and i was scared of him as i was only a young lol i didnt know who he was either :lol:

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

9 years ago

enjoyed the pictures danny ,thanks
and welcome to the board

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Rash

9 years ago

Funny you should say that sparky, my first game was the Sheffield united home game at Old Trafford back in 1993, i first met Paddy Crerend on that day and i was scared of him as i was only a young lol i didnt know who he was either :lol:

hey, i met Paddy that same season ...but a bit later on in the season
we beat Coventry 1-0 at Highfield road, a goal from the Legend Dennis Irwin!
afterwards, Paddy and a Colleague on returning to Manchester came into my
Dads Takeaway, i did not recognise him but was told soon

and i remember asking him

are we gonna win the league

Paddy (SMILING): OH YES, ALMOST A CERTAINTY (Y)

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

9 years ago

Just wanted to tell that the Dutch sport program 'Holland Sport' had an item in the show about the Babes, one of the host's explained what happened, who died, how Matt Busby survived the crash, told about Harry Gregg and so on. I thought it was very good to see that because it deserves the attention of everyone and it's not like everyone in Holland knows what happened in Munich in 58.

This program has their own 'museum' , every episode they have something new for in their own museum and this time it was a match program from the first match united played after the disaster, the match vs Sheffield Wednesday.

R.I.P. Babes

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Suvash

9 years ago

Lawman, you posts are generally brilliant but this one got me crying. I just know reading all the tribute stuff for munich 58 is going to get me teary eyed all the time today. I wish we got such programmes in Nepal too to explain more about the disaster itself and its aftermath.

Matt-D7
Trainee
Trainee

9 years ago

I'm a bit sad that I cannot contribute to those stories. Great reads though.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

9 years ago

I'm a bit sad that I cannot contribute to those stories. Great reads though.
theres no better way to aay it

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

8 years ago

your post lawman is really great. really love to read more about munich and the busby babes. it is really a sad feeling back then. hope to read more about it. :?

Return to “Munich Remembered”