Sunday 23rd July 2017, KO 22:00 BST.
Philip
Trainee
Trainee

Munich Memorial Service

9 years ago

Munich Memorial Service
Manchester Suite, Old Trafford, Wednesday 6 February

February 6th sees the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash which killed 23 people, including eight players and three Club officials. The Club is holding a memorial service conducted by its chaplain, Rev John Boyers in the Manchester Suite around the time of the crash – 3.04pm. There will be about 500 spaces reserved for Season Ticket holders and seats will be allocated as follows:

150 for Season Ticket Holders over 60 years old

300 for Season Ticket Holders aged between 18 and 60

25 for accompanied ST holders aged under 18

As the Club anticipates that applications will far exceed spaces, an application process and random ballot will take place. Supporters who are interested in attending should call 0870 442 1994 and follow the procedure as directed. Applications will be taken for seven days from Wednesday 16 January 2008, the lines are open from 8am to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 5pm at weekend.

Successful applicants will be notified by return after the closing date.

There is no charge for tickets and any profits made from the telephone call will be donated to the MU Foundation.

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Munich Memorial Service

9 years ago

It will be a very moving service and United have also announced that MUTV will be free-to-air all day on the 6th Feb.as other programmes besides the memorial service are planned throughout the day.

This gives our fans all around the world the chance to be part of the tributes on the anniversary of that terrible disaster.

Super Tramp
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: A. Cab

9 years ago

No silence to honour Munich crash

The game with Switzerland falls on the 50th anniversary of the crash
There will be no minute's silence during England's game with Switzerland on the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash, the FA says.

England play Switzerland on 6 February, the date in which 23 people, including eight Manchester United players, died.

"The FA has liaised closely with Manchester United over appropriate arrangements," said an FA spokesman.

"Images of the players will be shown on the screens before the game and England players will wear black armbands."

He also strongly denied newspaper reports any other types of tribute had been scrapped because of worries about whether fans would respect them.

The game at Wembley Switzerland will be new coach Fabio Capello's first game in charge of the England team.

Manchester United will mark the anniversary during their match with Manchester City on 10 February where there will be a minute's silence.

United will wear a special replica of their 1958 kit on the day, devoid of the players' names or shirt numbers on the back, while City's kit will incorporate a black ribbon with their sponsor's branding removed.

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Siti

9 years ago

Babes' place of honour

THE Busby Babes' final line-up before the Munich disaster has been given pride of place at Old Trafford.

As a tribute to the team torn apart so tragically 50 years ago, a huge picture of the XI lining up before the European Cup quarter-final 3-3 draw with Red Star Belgrade, 24 hours before the air crash, now graces the stadium.

The portrait, that includes victims Duncan Edwards, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, Tommy Taylor and Roger Byrne, is spread across the glass frontage of Old Trafford above the statue of Sir Matt Busby.

It will inspire memories of an irreplacable set of players.

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

9 years ago

The picture of the final line-up of the Babes looks stunning.
I would like to see it stay in place for at least a year.

Signature removed by Mod: Please see the Guide to this Tribute Forum

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

9 years ago

The decision by the FA not to hold a minutes silence before the England v Switzerland game on the actual anniversary of the disaster is sad but a wise decision I regret to say.I do not think it would be respected by all the crowd.

I don't think the minutes silence before the City game on the 9th Feb will be either.

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

9 years ago

i've changed my mind about the last line-up staying in place for at least a year.

I think it should stay in place for ever with the statue of Sir Matt in the forefront.What better tribute.

Apologies,Admin. (Y)

TomClare

9 years ago

i've changed my mind about the last line-up staying in place for at least a year.

I think it should stay in place for ever with the statue of Sir Matt in the forefront.What better tribute.

Apologies,Admin. (Y)
I would agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. That picture when I saw it this morning made me quite emotional. It was as though they had "come home."

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

9 years ago

Summed up perfectly.Tom.They have " come home ". Thank you.

Sarah77
Trainee
Trainee

9 years ago

Wow Siti, the pic on the front of OT looks amazing. Great tribute. Wonder how long it will stay up there....

Sarah77
Trainee
Trainee

9 years ago

But just seen this...

19/01/2008 13:55
United to alter Munich tribute
United have pledged to correct a text error in the Busby Babes' Munich tribute, which has just been erected at Old Trafford's main entrance.

The image covers the entire glass fronting of East Stand with a picture of the Babes' final line-up in Belgrade before the disaster, accompanied by the lyrics to the Manchester United Calypso.

A club spokesman told ManUtd.com: "It has come to the club's attention that there is an error in the text on the Busby Babes' Munich tribute on the East Stand facade.

"The club is grateful for the assistance it has received. The incorrect panels will be removed on Sunday 20 January and replaced as soon as possible."

Luthien Tinuviel
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: Lea

9 years ago

That image on the front of OT looks stunning in that picture. I really wish I could go there on the 6th, even to just stand outside the ground, to pay my respects :(
[center]Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen
And light of stars was in her hair
And in her raiment glimmering...
[/center]

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

9 years ago

me too leanne...just looking at that memorial makes me really want to fly up even if its just for the day :(

Aragorn

9 years ago

If that doesn't inspire this squad to do something special this year nothing will.

Another fitting tribute to great players

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Johnny

9 years ago

Me and my mate are planning to take the day off and drive down and spend the whole day, even if means just standing outside. I feel as though i have to be there.

Return to “Munich Remembered”