Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
TexasRedDevil
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Josh

Hello

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:10 am

Glad to be a part of this community! I will start off by saying that I am from Texas, where football is always thought of as the game with the egg shaped ball. I grew up with that, but in the last year and a half I have taken a shining to the original football. Admittedly I am a new United fan, I got into international soccer during the 2014 World Cup. Since then I've just liked soccer gradually more. I chose United because I went to the University of Missouri (MU) for college. I'm familiar with some of the United players but not all of them I will admit. I know some from watching United games and others from World Cup. I really don't know a whole lot about players on many of the other EPL teams, other than Jamie Vardy of Leicester who is lighting it up this year.

I'm a new fan hoping I can learn more here. Would love to have your help on this quest.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Hello

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:55 am

You picked an interesting time to start following United Josh. if you are looking to learn, I'd dive into the history section, lots of interesting stuff in there.And obviously anything you want to know, feel free to ask about it, people are more than happy to talk about stuff on here.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Can't be called a glory hunter that's for sure :)

Welcome to the boarf
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Original football

Welcome to the board
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

ivandaman
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Da-Man-Ivan

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Welcome to the board Josh,

As Dante said, your timing to start following United is rather odd, but better late than never. This is a special club. Check the club's history.
Math Busby, Busby babes, Munich Air disaster, Sir Alex Ferguson era, Eric Cantona, Class of 92, The more recent history, some of the iconic strikers like Ruud Van Nistelroy, Ole Gunnar Solskajer and of course Wayne Rooney and Cr Ronaldo..

Watch some classic games. (if you haven't already) Especially the UCL finals of 99 and 2008..

Here's the 99: the last a few min.

2008 UCL (Sorry those are the only highlights in English I could find, but they don't really capture the exuberance right after the VDS save/ may be you can find better ones).

This is a good start I think..

Welcome again and stick around.
To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:53 pm

Welcome to the board Josh. It is really hard to talk about football in the US where it is always 'handegg' they are all talking about.
Josh, who from the current United players impress you the most?

TexasRedDevil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:43 am

Well I knew Wayne Rooney from the World Cup, and I know he's the captain and saw during a telecast that he's appeared in 500 games for United which is a club record or something like that, don't quite remember. I have liked what I have seen from Mata and Martial, and of course De Gea, that guy is a beast. I was happy to see Schweinsteiger playing against Chelsea--I remembered him from the German National team and when I realized he was on United I was just like, why aren't we playing this guy?
I know this is a precarious time for United with Van Gaal under a lot of heat. Of course I don't know a ton about him. I also heard about the former Chelsea manager coming in, seems odd because they have been bad after winning the league last year.
I do have to ask on a couple of different guys--Fellani (when I first saw him and didn't know his name I just called him Big Afro Guy) was benched against Chelsea. Is he just not that good? Also does Daley Blind do anything else but corners? I swear that's all I ever see him doing.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:29 pm

Fellaini is basically a battering ram. The way the team was set up against Chelsea, Fellaini wouldn't have fit. That said he's been played as a DM before without much success this season, so it wouldn't have been overly surprising to see LVG pick him over Schweinsteiger or Schneirderlin, possibly both and put Carrick next to him.

The record appearance holder is Ryan Giggs, who is currently the Assistant Manager. He made 963 appearances, a clear 205 above the next man, Bobby Charlton. He has an astonishing amount of records.

With Mourinho, he's got a fantastic track record everywhere he's been, but also a track record of it going off the rails too. So despite Chelsea being awful this year, they did win the league last season. He'd probably do well results wise for a season or two with us, before falling out with everyone.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Josh and welcome to the board :dance:

Anything you want to ask about United (as a new fan) please feel free to do so, We are a friendly bunch and most of us are only too happy to show off our knowledge :P
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Welcome Josh,
Hope you have been able to keep out of all the crazy weather you have been having down there.

You will find mountain of great information about United from the members on this board and just as many opinions, which is where the entertainment come in.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

TexasRedDevil
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:Welcome Josh,
Hope you have been able to keep out of all the crazy weather you have been having down there.

You will find mountain of great information about United from the members on this board and just as many opinions, which is where the entertainment come in.
Thanks Barry! There's been so much rain that everything is almost flooded. Fortunately no damage anywhere close to where I'm at.

Return to “Hello and Welcome”