redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Where are they now

4 months ago

As i am often accused of ignoring what great players we have signed just before they flop i thought i'd look back over the past few seasons and see who we bought with great fanfares of applause just before they did sod all
I dug deep back into the forum notes and found i was shot down with a lot of todger bashing,admittedly from Mav who must now be making a total arse of himself somewhere else.Maybe even still on the Glazer payroll

So here's a few.Please comment and even add to it

I went back to just before SAF left when Glazernomics were at their fiercest
I was of the opinion that SAF was getting a bonus for not spending and i have seen nothing since he left to change that view
Almost every player we bought over the last 3 or 4 seasons was either a shirt seller or a player we should obviously just never have bought at any price but we paid £5-10m and just after SAF bought something personal for about that amount.Bebe springs to mind

So let's start with
Bebe
After his first club couldn't pay his wages and couldn't give him away for free he left and joined Vitoria de Guimaeres
He was with them about a week and didn't play for them even one game when United's chief scout,the brother of SAF thought he was special.United discussed this with his new agent,SAF's son and decided to make him one of United's all time most expensive signing for an undisclosed figure believed to be £7m and £9m
Shortly afterwards SAF bought 2 apartments overlooking Central Park in New York for reportably £5m.
Smell a rat??You decide
He played twice for United in 4 years before going on 3 loan spells in a year
United finally got rid of him once and for all to Benfica for whom he played ONCE before they started putting him on loan
He got 3 more loan clubs before he got his current move to the mighty Eibar from where he currenty languishes

Bebe was never actually heralded as one of our saviours on this forum who were either signed or should never be allowed to leave so let's prod down that road

I watched the German League highlights on TV a couple of nights ago and saw two of our ex players that were fought over on this forum as "should never be allowed to leave"
Both shirt sellers

Pea
He left United to join Real Madrid on a season long loan with an option to buy
Real used him in games that didn't matter and sent him back at the end of the season
United sold him to Leverkusan for £7m and he was the subject of this forum watch who proudly announced every goal he scored for his new club to justify why we should not have let the Mexican shirt seller go
He scorer on Sunday which i note was his first goal since October 2016 which is why i presume he has not been mentioned on this forum since before Xmas
His team currently languish in 9th in the Bunderliga behind the mighty Frieburg with no hope of winning anything
Since he left United not one Mexican flag has been seen in the megastore

Kagawa
Another todger basher for some on here who were in floods of tears when he left us
When he went back to Dortmund he took with him lots of screaming Japanese kids plus Japanese film crews.
United had to think long and hard about letting him go as Thomas Cook flights from Tokyo and match day VIP packages at £499 plus VAT for shit games were clearly going to take a pounding
But the situation was that he was just not capable of getting a game and the managers were getting fed up at press conferences of the only question from some parts of the press hacks being "Shinji,when he play"
When he left to go back to Germany he took with him the Thomas Cook<Manchester United ipad branch of Tokyo.
Presumably that lot are now Dortmund fans.
However for how long?
He is only a squad member and barely plays.He was on the subs bench again last weekend and just before Xmas was reported as thinking about going back to the Japanese J league
Kagawa being an average player only meant United has to go looking in China,Scandinavia and India for new long time fan bases

The last in this piece for the time being is another shirt seller
Falcao
He came from Monaco on loan with a salary of moving towards £300k a week with an option to buy of £43m
Again United's merchandising department proved correct
He passed the commercial test and came as a hero to most
All i ever saw was a player who could barely walk never mind run.
Not his fault he got a nasty injury but was never going to be a part of anything for the future with this club
He got a great song off the pisspots in the singing section and they couldn't manufacture his shirts fast enough
This winner of everything for other clubs scored FOUR times for us before moving to Chelsea on loan where he scored ONCE in a season
He is now back at Monaco playing in one of the weakest leagues in Europe
I think it is fair to say that after his one season at United he is forgotten by most
That's what happens with 12-18 month players

More to follow next episode
The buy one get one free twins at fullback
Bastian

and an explosive comment given to me by an ex legend at Manchester United and agreed by other ex legends over a glass of wine
"What does Zlatan,at his age and with his current ability bring to this club that Berbatove,,who was hounded out,because he didn't do anything but score goals bring"
Your thoughts please

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Where are they now

4 months ago

So here's a few.Please comment and even add to it

I went back to just before SAF left when Glazernomics were at their fiercest
I was of the opinion that SAF was getting a bonus for not spending and i have seen nothing since he left to change that view
Almost every player we bought over the last 3 or 4 seasons was either a shirt seller or a player we should obviously just never have bought at any price but we paid £5-10m and just after SAF bought something personal for about that amount.Bebe springs to mind

So let's start with
Bebe
After his first club couldn't pay his wages and couldn't give him away for free he left and joined Vitoria de Guimaeres
He was with them about a week and didn't play for them even one game when United's chief scout,the brother of SAF thought he was special.United discussed this with his new agent,SAF's son and decided to make him one of United's all time most expensive signing for an undisclosed figure believed to be £7m and £9m
Shortly afterwards SAF bought 2 apartments overlooking Central Park in New York for reportably £5m.
Smell a rat??You decide
He played twice for United in 4 years before going on 3 loan spells in a year
United finally got rid of him once and for all to Benfica for whom he played ONCE before they started putting him on loan
He got 3 more loan clubs before he got his current move to the mighty Eibar from where he currenty languishes

Bebe was never actually heralded as one of our saviours on this forum who were either signed or should never be allowed to leave so let's prod down that road
Bebe actually had one good season in Portugal saving a side from relegation. I would say that his level. It was obviously a dodgy transfer and no one will really know what actually happened there but it was clearly dodgy
Pea
He left United to join Real Madrid on a season long loan with an option to buy
Real used him in games that didn't matter and sent him back at the end of the season
United sold him to Leverkusan for £7m and he was the subject of this forum watch who proudly announced every goal he scored for his new club to justify why we should not have let the Mexican shirt seller go
He scorer on Sunday which i note was his first goal since October 2016 which is why i presume he has not been mentioned on this forum since before Xmas
His team currently languish in 9th in the Bunderliga behind the mighty Frieburg with no hope of winning anything
Since he left United not one Mexican flag has been seen in the megastore
The issue people had with Hernandez leaving was that he was no replaced and we were left with absolutely no back up or plan B. Surely you can appreciate that. Good on him for making his name at a CL team, thats one level above where we are at this year and probably next year
Kagawa
Another todger basher for some on here who were in floods of tears when he left us
When he went back to Dortmund he took with him lots of screaming Japanese kids plus Japanese film crews.
United had to think long and hard about letting him go as Thomas Cook flights from Tokyo and match day VIP packages at £499 plus VAT for shit games were clearly going to take a pounding
But the situation was that he was just not capable of getting a game and the managers were getting fed up at press conferences of the only question from some parts of the press hacks being "Shinji,when he play"
When he left to go back to Germany he took with him the Thomas Cook<Manchester United ipad branch of Tokyo.
Presumably that lot are now Dortmund fans.
However for how long?
He is only a squad member and barely plays.He was on the subs bench again last weekend and just before Xmas was reported as thinking about going back to the Japanese J league
Kagawa being an average player only meant United has to go looking in China,Scandinavia and India for new long time fan bases

Kagawa came with a lot of promise and excitement and unfortunately didnt live up to any of it. He is still a talented footballer too weak for the physicality of the premier league.
The last in this piece for the time being is another shirt seller
Falcao
He came from Monaco on loan with a salary of moving towards £300k a week with an option to buy of £43m
Again United's merchandising department proved correct
He passed the commercial test and came as a hero to most
All i ever saw was a player who could barely walk never mind run.
Not his fault he got a nasty injury but was never going to be a part of anything for the future with this club
He got a great song off the pisspots in the singing section and they couldn't manufacture his shirts fast enough
This winner of everything for other clubs scored FOUR times for us before moving to Chelsea on loan where he scored ONCE in a season
He is now back at Monaco playing in one of the weakest leagues in Europe
I think it is fair to say that after his one season at United he is forgotten by most
That's what happens with 12-18 month players
Falcao pre injury was one of the best strikers in the world and one of the most exciting players in football. Its natural the fans were excited because what a player we were getting if he was back to his best. Sadly he wasn't. It was a risky loan that didnt paid off but its not exactly like fans are pining for him now.
More to follow next episode
The buy one get one free twins at fullback
Bastian
Ever thought of posting something positive. The where are they now of very decent hard working players we had like Fletcher etc
and an explosive comment given to me by an ex legend at Manchester United and agreed by other ex legends over a glass of wine
"What does Zlatan,at his age and with his current ability bring to this club that Berbatove,,who was hounded out,because he didn't do anything but score goals bring"
Your thoughts please
Berbatovs best season at the club is matched by Zlatan by December... and I was Berbatovs biggest fan on here
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

4 months ago

Your thoughts please
Why do you still follow United?

You don't enjoy it, you don't like the way the club treats the fans, you constantly moan about the club, you don't like a million different things about United so why do you still do it?

Life is short. We only have so much time to be happy and find enjoyment in our day to day existence. If something isn't making you happy or is making you upset where is the sense in continuing with it?

I recommend looking at a club further down the pyramid that doesn't have the foreign supporters and greedy owners. Maybe not the pisspots you hate as well, so perhaps somewhere down south. Brentford maybe?

Thoughts.
Make football fabulous again!

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

4 months ago

Your thoughts please
Why do you still follow United?

You don't enjoy it, you don't like the way the club treats the fans, you constantly moan about the club, you don't like a million different things about United so why do you still do it?

Life is short. We only have so much time to be happy and find enjoyment in our day to day existence. If something isn't making you happy or is making you upset where is the sense in continuing with it?

I recommend looking at a club further down the pyramid that doesn't have the foreign supporters and greedy owners. Maybe not the pisspots you hate as well, so perhaps somewhere down south. Brentford maybe?

Thoughts.

Your comments and observations are much appreciated
Thanks

I note they were written before last nights exciting performance as well which i take into account
United are in my blood unfortunately and i just can't change clubs because my favourite player born in or around Manchester has joined Brentford and as such i feel obliged to go and buy his shirt and a 50/50 Brentford/Aston Villa scarf

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

4 months ago

Your comments and observations are much appreciated
Thanks

I note they were written before last nights exciting performance as well which i take into account
United are in my blood unfortunately and i just can't change clubs because my favourite player born in or around Manchester has joined Brentford and as such i feel obliged to go and buy his shirt and a 50/50 Brentford/Aston Villa scarf
The idea that you can't change your club is silly. Obviously you can, I know you are not using the phrase 'in my blood' literally. You can change support in any other fandom without being looked down on but in football people act like it's worse than murder. Peer pressure is something that mostly affects kids and adolescents, I think grown adults should be past that.

Have you thought about just giving up football?

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

4 months ago

Some great advice from Martin there. United is never going back to what they were, ever. Football is meant to bring you pleasure, there doesn't seem to be any of that left for you Ray.

A lot of English people seem to define their existence by what sports team they support, it's really quite weird to be honest. When I first started using these messageboards I was intrigued and impressed by the level of dedication you guys showed for your teams. As I have grown and matured I have started to realize how bizarre it really is. It's a game man, watch it, enjoy it, and if you don't then do what Martin said. You're what 50-60 years old? Are you still concerned that people might start talking badly about you because you choose to watch a different sports team on Saturday morning? If United really means that much, embrace what it has become and look for the positives, stop dwelling on the negatives, it's going to kill you man.
"Make America Great Again!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: RE: Re: Where are they now

4 months ago

Some great advice from Martin there. United is never going back to what they were, ever. Football is meant to bring you pleasure, there doesn't seem to be any of that left for you Ray.

A lot of English people seem to define their existence by what sports team they support, it's really quite weird to be honest. When I first started using these messageboards I was intrigued and impressed by the level of dedication you guys showed for your teams. As I have grown and matured I have started to realize how bizarre it really is. It's a game man, watch it, enjoy it, and if you don't then do what Martin said. You're what 50-60 years old? Are you still concerned that people might start talking badly about you because you choose to watch a different sports team on Saturday morning? If United really means that much, embrace what it has become and look for the positives, stop dwelling on the negatives, it's going to kill you man.
Agree, especially the last sentence.

Also don't he know many important people in and related to the club? Why not use that to try influencing change?

"In my culture, that is considered a dick move." - Birdperson

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: RE: Re: Where are they now

4 months ago

Agree, especially the last sentence.

Also don't he know many important people in and related to the club? Why not use that to try influencing change?
No i don't know many important people in and related to the club.
I know important people who helped make this club what is was

I don't know the Glazers or Ed or Richard Arnold or the manager.
I also don't know anybody important at Thomas Cook or the Chinese megastore
I just know old players who gave me a lot of pleasure

It is weird being told by fans whose 100% contribution to this club is mostly to turn the TV on,watch the game if it doesn't interfere with their social life or record it if it does.
Then you form some very strong opinions and spout them on here as the future of English football and Manchester United
It does tickle me

I saw a massive example of it yesterday from both sides

Everybody,in theory,had to collect their tickets for the game from Leicester Tigers ground
I mean in theory everybody
I sat with Paul Scholes son who had to collect his and few organised by the current players who also had to collect.
The Tigers car park was grid locked as no thought had been given that people might arrive together but United took the "what do you want us to do?" attitude
Funnily enough not a Chinaman in sight at Leicester Tigers.Indeed i didn't see one tourist or pilgrim at Leicester Tigers at all
However there were plenty who clearly had been lucky in the ballot
They were getting dogs abuse on twitter i believe
Comments like "they must have had season tickets for 3 years and 98 credits(the official requirement for yesterdays game)"
There were 2 directly behind me that didn't put their ipads down.Must have been pilgrims and not tourists

Leicester showed yesterday what the English game has come to
It seemed to me that they had more Thai fans than English fans.Ptobably an optical illusiopn but there were plenty
What will happen if Leicester get relegated or ownership of this toy changes
It will be no more Thai fans and into he abyss the club will go

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

4 months ago

Leicester are the foxes. Hull are the tigers

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

4 months ago

Leicester are the foxes. Hull are the tigers
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Tigers

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

4 months ago

Fair

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

4 months ago

Fair
tbh mate it seems strange that you'd have to pick your tickets up from the rugby club. Dunno why that is.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”