Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 1st April 2017, KO 15:00 BST.

esobeso
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: David

Re: Pre Match Discussion: Premier League vs Watford (h)

1 month ago

Man Utd
1 de Gea
25 A Valencia
3 Bailly
12 Smalling
17 Blind
21 Herrera
6 Pogba
8 Mata
22 Mkhitaryan
11 Martial
9 Ibrahimovic

Substitutes

10 Rooney
14 Lingard
16 Carrick
19 Rashford
20 Romero
27 Fellaini
36 Darmian

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

3 - 1
Mikhi, Ibra, Mata.......Cabaye
I meant Capoue...
Good to see Martial back if favour

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

1 month ago

Great buildup play for the goal.
1 - 0 Mata
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

esobeso
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

How is it only 1-0?

esobeso
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Watford (h)

1 month ago

Very happy for Martial. A goal and an assist.

In the 1st half Mata was just wonderful .

joze ruis
First Team Player
First Team Player

1 month ago

very good professional performance

Mata was superb in 1st half

Pogba with another Vieira like display

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

1 month ago

Another case of job done. Still to see us really let loose. I'm still worried about our lack of goals in games we should really be giving teams a good drubbing.
Still, 3 points. Into 5th with Liverpool to play
100% Top Red

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

1 month ago

As I post that, Liverpool score
100% Top Red

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

1 month ago

good result and 2nd until 6th is just 2 points difference now, pending city results.

we could have scored more, and played better. but we opt to chill a bit, there are a few moments that Watford can hurt us, glad it didn't happen. MOTM - Martial for me.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

A very professional victory and very entertaining.

The 3 M's are a deadly combination especially against a team like Watford who were willing to try for a win rather than just sitting back and hoping for a lucky break. I think that the combination of speed, guile, quickness and technical skills will be able to create chances against just about any team in the league. There where lots of wasted chances today.

This was a good game for Pogba and Herrera. Pogba has learned that not every pass needs to be a spectacular game changer, sometime simple keep the ball moving to the open man works much better. Herrera is a dynamo in the middle of the pitch and his energy is contagious. The battle between Baily and Deeney was the classic big man battle - they are both massively strong SOBs.

All we can do is continue winning, keep getting results and the table will take care of itself.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Da-Man-Ivan

1 month ago

Right now there's only 2 points difference between 2nd and 6th (us) although this may change if City win their game in hand.

We seem to be back in contention for a top4 position but we've been stuck in 6th for months now.. Frustrating.

As for the game, glad for the win but we keep missing chances and often try to be "too fancy".. lot's of short and "cute" touches around the box instead of going for goal with a thunderous strike. I remember Rooney and Ronaldo in their prime as soon as they had a sniff on goal and they'd unleash a vicious strike. I wish we could see a bit more direct and adventurous football.
To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

Well done to Martial, really took his chance.

To me that was our best 11, and the performance matched that. Just a pity how many chances we miss a game. It cost us a drubbing which isn't an issue however in the past it has cost us points
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Del

1 month ago

I do believe that slowly but surely, Jose might just be learning the United Way, both on and off the field (Y)
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

JUAN UNITED
International Player
International Player

1 month ago

Was listening to the commentary on the radio & my conclusion was we should've won by a heck of a margin! Gomez played a part for them in the game. Great performances by certain players, which we really need now as we head towards the finishing line. IMO Mata has been the most consistent since he's been at Utd, along with DDG. Big shout out for Martial hope he's been ignited & there's more to come. Really like Mkhit proper Utd player! Runs dazzles & SOMETIMES FINISHES lol. Only a few points separating the top 6 & it's going to be squeaky bum time from now on end for all the contenders. Shame Spurs fukd it up for us! maybe now we might see some teams crumble. Whatever the case Jose is creating something at Utd & it's exciting times, something we've missed hugely since the great SAF retired. Fantastic finishing from Mata & Martial with 3 points thoroughly deserved.
Always look on the bright side of life la la, la la la la la la!!!

redmaria
Reserve
Reserve

1 month ago

Some folk on here believe it isn't Mata but Herrara that is running the midfield

Noticeable how even now some think Herrara had a good game yesterday.He was in fact the weakest of the midfield with relation to passes.
He gave an awful lot away

I also notice there isn't a mention of how desperately poor Zlatan the great was
Missed several easy chances and was absolutely bolloxed at the end of the game
I sat low down yesterday and its amazing how the view changes.You see the facial expressions.Mikki was pulling some serious faces and blowing hard for the last 15 minutes.He really doesn't appear to get a full game and i can't work out why
Zlatan waves his arms a lot and blames a lot of other players for his misses

Watford,as i predicted,offered very little but strength through the middle.Smalling was uncomforable with this again but Bailly(noticeable by his lack of mention in your summing up was immense,He reminds me a bit of Vidic

DDG didn't have much to do but made a game saving change from a free kick when it was still 1-0

Zlatan is fading faster than Rooney and offers a real conumdrum as i don't think he is capable of effectively playing 2 games a week until the rest of the seasoni

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

Some folk on here believe it isn't Mata but Herrara that is running the midfield

Noticeable how even now some think Herrara had a good game yesterday.He was in fact the weakest of the midfield with relation to passes.

I also notice there isn't a mention of how desperately poor Zlatan the great was
I sat low down yesterday and its amazing how the view changes.You see the facial expressions.Mikki was pulling some serious faces and blowing hard for the last 15 minutes.He really doesn't appear to get a full game and i can't work out why

Watford,as i predicted,offered very little but strength through the middle.Smalling was uncomforable with this again but Bailly(noticeable by his lack of mention in your summing up was immense,He reminds me a bit of Vidic

DDG didn't have much to do but made a game saving change from a free kick when it was still 1-0

Zlatan is fading faster than Rooney and offers a real conumdrum as i don't think he is capable of effectively playing 2 games a week until the rest of the seasoni
I know you dont believe in stats, but claiming Herrera was "fact the weakest of the midfield with relation to passes" when he completed 90% of his passes and had the second most passes in the whole league yesterday (Pogba was #1), it makes you think what youre talking about when he gave the ball away. He also made 4 interceptions and made 7 tackles (again a league high) so the one or two times he does give the ball away, he more than makes up for it

Zlatan was quite poor finishing but his hold up play was decent and to claim he is fading faster than Rooney really has me stumped. Even if Zlatan turned into Bebe tomorrow he still contributes more than Rooney does.
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Glorio
International Player
International Player

1 month ago

I know you dont believe in stats, but claiming Herrera was "fact the weakest of the midfield with relation to passes" when he completed 90% of his passes and had the second most passes in the whole league yesterday (Pogba was #1), it makes you think what youre talking about when he gave the ball away. He also made 4 interceptions and made 7 tackles (again a league high) so the one or two times he does give the ball away, he more than makes up for it

Zlatan was quite poor finishing but his hold up play was decent and to claim he is fading faster than Rooney really has me stumped. Even if Zlatan turned into Bebe tomorrow he still contributes more than Rooney does.
(Y) to everything you said really. And if Mkhi T plays like thay every time he's knackered (apart from in front of goal!) I'd gladly have that. The whole of Watford must have been a lot more knackered the way he breezed past them all game
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

redmaria
Reserve
Reserve

1 month ago

You are correct.I don't believe in stats
I believe in my own eyes as i believe i know what i am looking at
I never mentioned his tackling.I spoke only of his passing but as you mention his tackling i agree that he was very very good
I suspect that Tom Cleverley,yesterday,had a high percentage of completed passes but i can confidently say that he contributes nothing to Watford.
Every pass he makes continues to be two yards backwards and occasionally with ambition he goes one and a half yards sideways
For me yesterday our most ambitious passer was Pogba.
He has been placed that couple of yards deeper and as a result he can see the play options better
He has an ability to ping a 40 yard pass to Blind or Valencia.He might not have as good a pass completion rate as others but he can change a game and tries to.
The one criticism i have of him at the moment is that his "speed of break" is still at Italian league speed

Zlatan was not "quite poor finishing"
He was shit.
How do i work that out?By stats
His stats of goals scored yesterday to chances created was 0%
I think,from memory,he had 3 excellent scoring chances.
He missed two so that's 66.66% and the keeper made one good save so that's 33.33%
His hold up play was poor and he continually drifted far too deep for,as far as i could see,no good reason
The midfield didn't need any help yesterday and by dropping deep he took out what should have been United's main goalscoring threat as he is our only striker
As he is losing his pace he plays more and more on the shoulder of the centre half and i don't know what his offside stats are but i am sure somebody will tell me.It is high
He needs replacing asap with a 26-28 year old proven clinical goalscorer with the current finishing ability of Suarez or Benzema or Aubameyang or Costa

I don't note players like Ronaldo because given enough time and opportunity Martial will be that player ie a widish pacey goalscorer who can come inside if required

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

We all watch the game through spectacles of our own making, mine are decidedly RED and I tend to see the positive parts of the game whenever possible. Anyone who cannot or will not credit Herrera with being the driving force of our midfield yesterday is watching the game using the bottom of beer or wine bottles as their specs. SOME ON HERE will point out that he missed some passes; well here’s some news for you sunshine - all football players miss passes now and again it’s part of the game.

The same SOME ON HERE apparently saw a bunch of United players; knackered, winded, huffing and puffing their way around the pitch and exhausted to the point that Mourinho needed to remove them before they cause themselves physical damage. What I saw was tactical change to prevent Watford even the chance of getting back into the game. At 2 – 0 (really at 1 – nil) Watford where beaten and looking for a lucky break or an error to get back into the game. Bringing on Fellaini had nothing to do with Mata being fatigued; it added a “large” physical presence in the middle of the pitch that DeGea could aim his clearances towards. Fellaini is not the most technical player (a massive understatement) and may not know what to do with the ball at his feet but when the ball hits his chest no one get it from him. The team that looked knackered at the end of the game was Watford, they had been totally beaten into submission, and this is exactly what United used to do to teams on a regular basis.

For not the first time this year Zlatan had a nightmare of a game. Does anyone really know the reason he had such is piss poor game? - No. We can all speculate and put our favorite theory forward but none of us will know the reason; maybe it was just one of those days, or he wanted to drop deeper to help the midfield, or maybe he could not handle the pace of Martial and MickyT. Any of these and many other could be the reason for a nightmare outing so I guess I’ll go with the helping the midfielders and keep saying it until it become the truth.

redmaria
Reserve
Reserve

1 month ago

We all watch the game through spectacles of our own making, mine are decidedly RED and I tend to see the positive parts of the game whenever possible. Anyone who cannot or will not credit Herrera with being the driving force of our midfield yesterday is watching the game using the bottom of beer or wine bottles as their specs. SOME ON HERE will point out that he missed some passes; well here’s some news for you sunshine - all football players miss passes now and again it’s part of the game.

The same SOME ON HERE apparently saw a bunch of United players; knackered, winded, huffing and puffing their way around the pitch and exhausted to the point that Mourinho needed to remove them before they cause themselves physical damage. What I saw was tactical change to prevent Watford even the chance of getting back into the game. At 2 – 0 (really at 1 – nil) Watford where beaten and looking for a lucky break or an error to get back into the game. Bringing on Fellaini had nothing to do with Mata being fatigued; it added a “large” physical presence in the middle of the pitch that DeGea could aim his clearances towards. Fellaini is not the most technical player (a massive understatement) and may not know what to do with the ball at his feet but when the ball hits his chest no one get it from him. The team that looked knackered at the end of the game was Watford, they had been totally beaten into submission, and this is exactly what United used to do to teams on a regular basis.

For not the first time this year Zlatan had a nightmare of a game. Does anyone really know the reason he had such is piss poor game? - No. We can all speculate and put our favorite theory forward but none of us will know the reason; maybe it was just one of those days, or he wanted to drop deeper to help the midfield, or maybe he could not handle the pace of Martial and MickyT. Any of these and many other could be the reason for a nightmare outing so I guess I’ll go with the helping the midfielders and keep saying it until it become the truth.
So tell me then sunshine if Herrara is/was such a great midfielder why would Zlatan feel the need to drop back and help out.
Especially when Pogba was having a particularly good game now that they have discovered to let him drop deeper
Maybe the truth is that Zlatan is getting old and slowing down
Maybe he can still dribble a lot and maybe he can still outrun a slow defender and maybe he is saving both those skills for another day as they have not been on show for a long time

Anyway if you are seeing things differently from the bottom of your glass it would be rude not to offer me a bottle of whatever you are drinking as i like things that make me hallucinate

Bring me sunshine!!
All the time!!

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

As I said in the post NO ONE knows the reason why Zlatan had a nightmare of a game; pick your reason, say it often enough and it might come true. Zlatan has no right to be dropping into midfield when Zlatan does he is more of a hindrance than a help.

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Colin

1 month ago

I don't totally agree with Ray, neither with some of the others. IMO, Herrera was only average which was a step up from his normal poor play. Pogba has not really improved and has been relegated to a deeper, more defensive role which will result in less ball carrying into the final third and starve our attack eventually.

As for Bailly, i dont rate this guy at all and Smalling continues to be unimpressive. Blind in left back is a disaster waiting to happen. Mata at number 10 can work for us but then that would push Mhki out wide which is not his most effective position.

Martial had a good game for once and his attitude was spot on.

3 points is exactly what we needed and we're in prime position to pounce. Even 2nd position is within reach and given the relegation battle, It ain't over just yet.
...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Giants14
International Player
International Player

1 month ago

You don't rate Bailly? is this a piss take?

Bailly is superb - big, powerful, pacy - all the ingredients to be a brilliant CB in this league
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

redmaria
Reserve
Reserve

1 month ago

You don't rate Bailly? is this a piss take?

Bailly is superb - big, powerful, pacy - all the ingredients to be a brilliant CB in this league
It is unusual for me to choke but i did.I totally agree that it must have been either a piss take,an illegal grainy TV feed or just no knowledge of the game whatsoever
This lad should be around for the next 10 years and if they can find a top quality partner and are prepared to buy him(remember centre halves don't traditionally sell many shirts) you would have a pairing to match Bruce and Pallister and Rio and Vidic.
They could struggle to keep hold of this lad if they don't get champions league football as he has the quality to play in any European league at the top level

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”