Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 1st April 2017, KO 15:00 BST.
DaveMart
International Player
International Player

Mourinho and the United way

1 month ago

I could not be happier.

In the post match against Watford, Jose made the specific point that he is here to play attacking football as it is the United way, however successful a more defensive style may be at other clubs, where he seemed to me to be referencing himself at Chelsea, where his record overall was great but far more emphasis given to defence.

My big fear with the appointment of Mourinho is that we would be moulded to a Chelsea II.

It seems he has bought into our traditions.

PROUD TO BE A RED DEVIL! :dance: :clap: :dance:

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: Mourinho and the United way

1 month ago

When Mourinho first went to Chelsea standard of "success" was a decent cup run and maybe beating Spurs or the Gunners, consistently winning and playing attractive football wasn't part of the fans expectations. With the personnel he had available it was it was a more straight forward task to put up a wall of defenders in front of Cech and play long ball to Drogba. It got them victories and the fans where happy. However the owner wanted to continue winning and do it with style, and because he was signing the check Roman wanted to say who needed to be brought in and who should be playing. For a control freak like Mourinho there was no way that was going to end well.

During Mourinho's stay at Real Madrid he had the personnel where he didn't have to play total defense to win games. His teams played wide open attacking, his only problem at RM was that Barcelona where much better at wide open attacking football than his team was a Real Madrid fans and management cannot abide being second to Barcelona.

On his return to Chelsea he inherited a lot of attacking talent who were hungry to prove just how good they could be. They started the season off scoring goals for fun, by the end of the Christmas schedule he realized that he could play defense and pretty much coast to the title - similar to what Sir Alex had done in his last season. By the second season the players wanted a different way of winning than what Mourinho wanted, more importantly the owner wanted a different way of winning. This conflict was't going to end well either.

Even before Sir Alex left I believe Mourinho was setting hisself to take over at United and was shocked (and probably pissed) when Moyes and Van Gaal got the nod ahead of him. The squad he inherited was not a bad squad, rather they where being asked to play a style of football that totally did not suit them, the only player that flourished under Van Gaal's style was Mike Smalling and who knows where he is now. Mourinho was smart enough to know that winning alone would not be enough for most United fans, especially after the prior two years of dire football. It took Mourinho awhile to determine his best combination that cold play solid defense and attacking open football but from real early on I felt that Mourinho had the United trait of never giving up on a game - we don't lose we just run out of time.

Mourinho is a Red Devil.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

1 month ago

I'm most happy that he tuned down on his shenanigans.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

I have lived through 26 years of Sir Alex's shenanigans - sometimes they can be fun.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

1 month ago

I have lived through 26 years of Sir Alex's shenanigans - sometimes they can be fun.
Not when he poke someone;s eye. :whistle:

JonSnow
Trainee
Trainee

1 month ago

I'm happy that he has adjusted to the system and the players are starting to trust him more and more.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

1 month ago

We are looking much better as a team now than we were 12 months ago. I don't know the statistics or whatever for points, wins, goals etc but we can see that the team on the pitch seems to be coming together better than we have seen since Fergie left. Get a couple more top class players in and we will be in an very comfortable position to push for the title next season I have no doubt
100% Top Red

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

1 month ago

We are looking much better as a team now than we were 12 months ago. I don't know the statistics or whatever for points, wins, goals etc but we can see that the team on the pitch seems to be coming together better than we have seen since Fergie left. Get a couple more top class players in and we will be in an very comfortable position to push for the title next season I have no doubt
I think points wise is almost the same with LVG last season but clearly the team looks so much better now.

DaveMart
International Player
International Player

1 month ago

I don't think we should offer Mourinho a 5 year contract until we win the league.

That should be the standard at United, and Woodward is too eager.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

Can anyone see us last year doing what Mkhi did for the first goal. Take on someone in our half and play a risky through ball. Would be dropped and sold to Sunderland
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

1 month ago

One of the early game of the season Blind attempted the exact same the, taking on someone in a somewhat risky area of the pitch, beating them and trying a through ball that would have split open the defense. It didn't come off and my first thought was that that was the last game Blind would see for awhile; however the camera flashes to Mourinho and he is cheering on Blind for the attempt. Mourinho allows his players to make mistake without fear of being bench or sold, I thought my prays had been answered.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

1 month ago

He enjoys football, attacking football as much as he enjoys winning - classy how he cheered the Blackburn goal
Bring Back Becks Image

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”