Next Match: Image
CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.
Wednesday 27th September 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

summer transfers

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 am

Jose has mentioned in recent press conferences that he knows what he wants to do in the summer transfer market

How do you guys see it?

My own opinions as follows
I would like to start building a team that will blend and stay together for the next 5 years at least in the style that Barca and Madrid and to be honest most top teams do
I think we have several key areas of weakness and you know i hate a one year or 18 month shirt seller

Goalkeeper
Under no circumstances should DDG be permitted to leave.I would give him a small salary rise and extend his contract back to 5 years
He should be as bombproof as Messi and Ronaldo

At right back i am as happy as i can be with Valencia as he has had a magnificent season and still has a couple of years left in him

At left back we have a problem.
We are either patching a make do left back in or playing Shaw occasionally and he is not improving
I would buy a left back of top quality ie Paddy Evra,Denis Irwin quality
We are stuck with Shaw for one more season as i don't think anybody will take his contract on.If he does it get it back next season then fine
If not then a lesser contract as a squad player or a free to Everton or Stoke or West Brom.That is currently his level

At entre half i am very impressed with Bailly but we need a partner
Jones has vanished again.Smalling is like a hand grenade ready to blow and anything else is makeshift
Also remember the Africa cup when Bailly vanishes
For me Bailly is Vidic and we need a Rio as well
Keep Jones and Smalling as squad players

A young playmaker of Carricks ability needs to be found fast
I would look for a young promising kid with some experience and i would give Carrick one more season to help him

Midfield doesn't need any immediate surgery as we have Mikki,Mata,Pogba and Herrara

Those that need to go are Wazza,Schweinsteiger and Ibrahimovitch
Buy a world star centre forward at his prime
We still need a top class Ronaldo replacement on the right wing

That leaves some good squad players in Lingaard,Daley,Blind,Fellaini,Rashford
All can either be used in the correct circumstances or cover for injuries etc

I don't want to see Pele or Maradonna or Beckenbaur here for a season

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: summer transfers

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Surprisingly enough we do not differ too much on where we think the team needs to be improved.

I would sign DeGea to a contract that would make other teams sick just to ask about him; in effect I would make him untouchable.

Valencia has made hisself into a really good RB and suits the way that Mourinho want to team to play. He should have another year in him but we should be grooming his replacement in case he declines rapidly. At this time we do not have a LB who can make the position their own, all have some traits that work in their favor but none can blow away the competition. Shaw should be given a chance to prove hisself but Plan B needs to be in place because none of the other candidates shines and it appears that Mourinho doesn’t trust Shaw.

Bailey has really impressed; he is everything you could want in a center back, big, strong, agile, quick and he can play with the ball at his feet. Another untouchable; the only problem I have with Bailey is that he isn’t twins. The other do not impress; Jones and Rojo did a good job during the Africa Cup of Nations by playing way above their expectation and both have disappeared since Baileys return, Smalling (Chris or Mike) is too uncomfortable on the ball and can be exploited because of it. Any of the three could/should be kept as squad or backups but not as week-in week-out starters.

We have enough talent and depth in midfield that Mourinho can play just about any formation he wants and have quality at every position. At some point I would like to see Fosu-Mensah given a chance as a holding defensive midfielder, if he cannot play at that position then I think Mourinho will be in the market for a Kante type midfielder. Martial can be truly exceptional on the left side of a three man front especially if he has a partner with whom he can develop. I would be willing to have Zlatan around for another year but I don’t believe he should be an automatic starter, Rashford needs to be give a chance at the center forward.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:54 pm

it looks like we're going for a full back in the summer... http://www.90min.com/posts/4564520-mona ... _aid=35975

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 am

It'll be interesting to see what/who Jose wants. I believe we still need a CB, CM, CDM, ST

CB - a partner for Bailly is needed - I expected Smalling to continue his form from last season but he has been a little under power this year - sell 1 of jones or Rojo.

CM - A long term replacement for Carrick - playmaker who will control the game for us.

CDM - Im not sure who we will drop but Jose likes his big commanding CDM types ie Matic, Makelele etc we need that presence in the midfield - I believe Pogba needs to play higher.

ST - Zlatan isn't going to be another forever - Griezmann is highly linked - a proven striker would be nice.

As for the full backs - im unsure, Valencia has been excellent and would be harsh to get a replacement.
As for LB, we have Shaw.....is Jose trying to work his magic like MickyT - easing him back into the team? if shaw can recover that position is sorted - are we willing to spend another 20-30m on another full back?
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

X.S
Trainee
Trainee

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 am

Giants14 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 am
It'll be interesting to see what/who Jose wants. I believe we still need a CB, CM, CDM, ST

CB - a partner for Bailly is needed - I expected Smalling to continue his form from last season but he has been a little under power this year - sell 1 of jones or Rojo.

CM - A long term replacement for Carrick - playmaker who will control the game for us.

CDM - Im not sure who we will drop but Jose likes his big commanding CDM types ie Matic, Makelele etc we need that presence in the midfield - I believe Pogba needs to play higher.

ST - Zlatan isn't going to be another forever - Griezmann is highly linked - a proven striker would be nice.

As for the full backs - im unsure, Valencia has been excellent and would be harsh to get a replacement.
As for LB, we have Shaw.....is Jose trying to work his magic like MickyT - easing him back into the team? if shaw can recover that position is sorted - are we willing to spend another 20-30m on another full back?
Claude Makélélé was 5' 6" tall, and that was only on a good day :laugh:

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 am

True - but he was still a beast much like Kante
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:46 pm

On the way out
Bastian Schweinsteiger, Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young; I cannot see any in this group being kept around.

One or the other and maybe both
Shaw.or Darmian; at a position where we are very weak in both depth and quality (LB & RB) these two cannot get a game. In fairness Darmian was brought in as a RB and hasn’t been too bad defensively when played there, however when he plays at LB he is sadly lacking on defense and doesn’t provide much on offense from either side. None of us really know what’s going on with Shaw; it could be he is slow recovery from his leg break, lack of fitness overall or he just cannot play the way Mourinho want him to. Whatever the reason after almost 2/3 of a season under Mourinho he is not getting minute at a position where we have no established starter. I think he will make it through the summer but I also believe that we will have a replacement lined up in case he doesn’t improve.

Too many players not enough quality
Eric Bailey is everything that (most) United fans could ask for in a central defender; big, strong, agile, reads the game well, good in the air and comfortable with the ball at his feet. He is the type of player who can lockup a position for years and years. Unfortunately none of the other candidates at central defender, Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Blind have the same quality as Bailey.

I include Blind because of his versatility and with the right pairing can be effective especially when he is the deep play maker. He can also provide coverage at LB and maybe in a push as a midfielder. Rojo appears plays the position the way that Mourinho wants it played; aggressive without going overboard, comfortable with the ball at his feet and can start the offense of quickly. Jones has performed well this season WHEN HE IS HEALTHY but I have to think that Mourinho has to be getting a little impatient with losing him due to injury. Smalling can be a good defender when playing instinctively however when he has the ball at his feet he looks like an accident waiting to happen.

What kind of football will we play?
At the start of the season we spent a lot of time and effort trying to find a midfield/forward combination that could work together efficiently. Personnel (with the possible exception of Zlatan) have been shuffled into and out of the squad and tried at different positions trying to find a balance that will win on a consistent basis. Everything that we have tried has had its own set of compromises and has had varying degrees of success. He big question for me will be’ are we going to attempt to replace Carrick in a kind for kind or will we go for a defensive holding midfielder that Mourinho has use successfully in the past. The other part of that question is: do we continue with Zlatan as the primary striker or do we go with another quick speedy player giving us 3 or even 4 player all capable of getting behind the defensive back line.

Personally I would keep Carrick and Zlatan, however their roles would be drastically different from what they have been this season.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:06 am

hmmm do you guys think that the Griezmann transfer will push through?

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”