Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Premier League.
Saturday 19th August 2017, KO 12:30 BST.
redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Europa League Final vs. Ajax

Thu May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

so let's sum up the game as that effectively sums up the season

Firstly let's have some apologies from the relevant people on this forum
Don't be shy
Stats gurus first-I have been constantly laughed at by those that have defended their corner with stats
Last nights Stats
Possession 69%-31% in favour of Ajax
Shots 17 v 7 in favour of Ajax
Score 2-0 in favour of United
Summing up-Ajax bar one free kick never looked dangerous and to be fair the Ajax keeper "might" have been held to fault for both goals.well just about imo
This was a shite game played between an average Manchester United team and young inexperienced and not as good as their publicity suggested Ajax team
I can think of at least 10 teams in the Premier League that wouldn't be frighted by Ajax and they include the likes of Everton and Stoke

Let's have an apology for those of you who have constantly been knocking Fellaini and Blind
Fellaini
The major focus of all dangerous United play last night
His flick ons were superb.It was just a pit he didn't score with his one chance in front of goal
Let's have an apology from you lot for Blind as well.He knows his limitations but by hell does he not allow himself to be exposed

Of the others Smalling showed how panicky he is by giving heading and booting the ball away aimlessly
Lingaard showed how average he is when missing a golden opportunity to kill the game
Valencia showed his experience and strength against the kids

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Redmania - only you could bring down a title winning thread.

Did you celebrate last night? are you happy that we won a trophy and back into the champions league?

I have heavily criticised Fellaini in the past - I do not believe he is good enough for Manchester United - much like a lot of the players we currently have - if we are to improve and be title contenders - Fellaini is not good to take us to the next level. He is doing a job for us for sure and fair play he was MOM last night but you want an apology for a player having a good game? aye...shoot on.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Thu May 25, 2017 4:02 pm

I use to say that the Europa League means nothing, but it felt damn good to win that last night.

The game was a team of experienced players putting in a professional performance verses a young team, giving it a good go and trying to play good football in the process but just came up against a better team. I felt pretty comfortable from the get go and rarely did Ajax look like the had it in them to win last night. Ajax is probably the only team I would feel bad seeing them lose, they do hold a place in my heart too and watching a young team like that make it all the way to a European final only to be thwarted by a giant of the game was a bit upsetting. United is my team and they is never any wavering on that, but it was a weird game to watch for me last night.

Blind, Pogba, Herrera and Felliani stand out as the top performers in the game yesterday. And watching that game I feel we do have a solid base from which to build a great team. I'm looking forward to the players we might attract now because of CL football and seeing what this team can do next year.
"Make America Great Again!"

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu May 25, 2017 5:07 pm

two points to answer

First one to Ben
Yes it felt good to win.
For several different reasons for me
The first is that i have now seen United win all European trophy's and its a nice feeling

Giants
Yes i did celebrate last night
i stood in the 3rd tier which they had the cheek to call a category 2 ticket and stiffed me for 100 euros
At Old Trafford they don't call the third tier a category two ticket.
It is known by the United fans as the Paddy Stand because that is where United used to put their Irish fans when they knew they were going to be too drunk to see the game
That's before Ireland went skint

As for Fellaini having a good game
i would suggest that he has done more in games in this two bob tournament that any other player in a United shirt
He has scored some vital goals throughout this tournament and he was never missing in action in any game
So i hope you celebrated with him last night and i hope you thanked him for his efforts in this whole competition that some of you covet so much

I understand why you covet it as owt is better than nowt but please don't pretend it's something special

If Chelsea win the cup on Saturday to add to the league then that is special

If Real Madrid win the Champions league to go alongside the La Liga title then that is very special

I cans see some of you,probably you Giants coming on and saying they have only won 2 cups and we have won 3 because we have won the massive friendly call the Charity Shield
But then again many of you have turned into Liverpool where any crumb counts

I see people gloating because Liverpool have to pre qulaify for the Champions League and is see the scousers saying that they are in by right as they finished well above us

REALITY
Nether team has a hope next year of doing anything spectacular with what they have unless you believe United v Real Madrid is a real possibility for the 2018 Champions League Final
Remember next year is a great year.It always is

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Thu May 25, 2017 5:12 pm

It's too bad he cost us so many points in the league.
"Make America Great Again!"

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu May 25, 2017 5:21 pm

It's too bad he cost us so many points in the league.
That's just a daft comment

Every average player such as Smalling,Darmian,Lingaard,Jones etc cost us so many points in the league
And you ca't even say the moody one with his "park the bus tactics is immune from that comment

Never forget that this is not a great team that has been unlucky
This is an average team that by being 8 games behind Chelsea has found its correct position
We did beat some great teams,that nobody has heard of in the having a laugh league
Go on Ben.Had you ever heard of Rostov before we drew them in the LATER STAGES of this mighty tournament

Maybe we should enter the Autopaints Trophy next year :laugh: :laugh:

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am

two points to answer

Giants
Yes i did celebrate last night
i stood in the 3rd tier which they had the cheek to call a category 2 ticket and stiffed me for 100 euros
At Old Trafford they don't call the third tier a category two ticket.
It is known by the United fans as the Paddy Stand because that is where United used to put their Irish fans when they knew they were going to be too drunk to see the game
That's before Ireland went skint

I cans see some of you,probably you Giants coming on and saying they have only won 2 cups and we have won 3 because we have won the massive friendly call the Charity Shield
But then again many of you have turned into Liverpool where any crumb counts
I'm glad you celebrated last night - you must have deemed it good enough if you celebrated.

What has your seating arrangements and what fans called a certain stand got to do with anything?

At this moment in time both those named teams have only won trophy..........their leagues - I would give up both the League cup and Europa League to have another championship - that is our bread and better - the league is the big one every season.

The Community Shield is a glorified friendly - its nice to get that win at the start of the campaign but isn't overly important in the scheme of things - much like the Super cup in a few months but I bet it would be nice to beat either Juvu or Madrid.

I believe our minimum goal this season was getting back into the Champions League - a top 4 finish was probably the aim to achievement this but the things didn't pan out this way but to come away with 2 major trophies in a relatively poor season cant be sniffed at, we need to make drastic improvements to our squad - I think everyone will agree this group of players aren't good enough, next season we need to be challenging for the premier league.

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am

The point i was making is that there are fans and then there are those that thinks they are fans
I am not sure which category you fit into but i do know which category you think you fit in
You may be right and you may be wrong

I am never sure why those that get so excited always believe we have either just had or are about to have a great season

You seem very excited at the two "major" trophies you think we have won and you have conceded that the community shield is a glorified friendy

Of the two major tournaments you think we have won you have proven my point which is that United have indeed turned into Liverpool in your mind
Look at major trophy one
The EFL cup
Since the turn of the century it has been won by
Blackburn,Leicester,Middlesbrough,Birmingham and Swansea
Now they all have one thing in common which is that they are shit
Other teams that have got to the final include Tranmere,Bolton,Wigan,Cardiff,Bradford City,Sunderland and of course Southampton
Now if you think that is illustrious company and it is a major trophy then i have to give up
Presumably you are really looking forward to the mighty World Championship competed for on the pre season tour of America
they might even go in for the major Pot noodle trophy in Thailand next pre season

Just to complete my point the most winners of the EFL cup is indeed Liverpool so we are almost like Liverpool wouldn't you say?

As for the other major trophy take a good look back at the teams we beat,some of which i guess you hadn't even heard of and where they finished in their own leagues to give you some idea of exactly how "major" it is
Rostov are 6th and 7 games behind the two Moscow teams and Zenit.They are even behind the mighty Terek Grozney and Kransodar(who the fornicate are they!!).Point made eh.Does a distant 6th sound familiar.
Celta Vigo,who gave you such a scare are also 6th in La Liga and are 11 games behind Real Madrid.Can you see a pattern emerging about these major teams?

the one thing i do agree with you about is that this transfer window is vital as is the next one
So is it "proud to announce" shirt sellers or top quality proven players or will they sell our best in DDG and Martial?

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri May 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Its called rebuilding..transitioning from an end of a Golden period and into another. Unlike the one hit wonders that win a EPL and then are subject to liquidation (Blackburn) or the other Sods that havent seen a trophy or league in years but hang on to history...We want to create an Empire that stays at the top and knows how to get back up after a stumble and everyone stumbles. But atleast we doing it by adding trophies and still making History

Every trophy in Club Football...most decorated Club in England -- not bad for some of our worst years...wait till we back on Top!
Bring Back Becks Image

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Fri May 26, 2017 1:08 pm

The point i was making is that there are fans and then there are those that thinks they are fans
I am not sure which category you fit into but i do know which category you think you fit in
You may be right and you may be wrong

I am never sure why those that get so excited always believe we have either just had or are about to have a great season

You seem very excited at the two "major" trophies you think we have won and you have conceded that the community shield is a glorified friendy

Of the two major tournaments you think we have won you have proven my point which is that United have indeed turned into Liverpool in your mind
Look at major trophy one
The EFL cup
Since the turn of the century it has been won by
Blackburn,Leicester,Middlesbrough,Birmingham and Swansea
Now they all have one thing in common which is that they are shit
Other teams that have got to the final include Tranmere,Bolton,Wigan,Cardiff,Bradford City,Sunderland and of course Southampton
Now if you think that is illustrious company and it is a major trophy then i have to give up
Presumably you are really looking forward to the mighty World Championship competed for on the pre season tour of America
they might even go in for the major Pot noodle trophy in Thailand next pre season

Just to complete my point the most winners of the EFL cup is indeed Liverpool so we are almost like Liverpool wouldn't you say?

As for the other major trophy take a good look back at the teams we beat,some of which i guess you hadn't even heard of and where they finished in their own leagues to give you some idea of exactly how "major" it is
Rostov are 6th and 7 games behind the two Moscow teams and Zenit.They are even behind the mighty Terek Grozney and Kransodar(who the fornicate are they!!).Point made eh.Does a distant 6th sound familiar.
Celta Vigo,who gave you such a scare are also 6th in La Liga and are 11 games behind Real Madrid.Can you see a pattern emerging about these major teams?

the one thing i do agree with you about is that this transfer window is vital as is the next one
So is it "proud to announce" shirt sellers or top quality proven players or will they sell our best in DDG and Martial?
So which category of fan do I fall into?

So which competitions do you class as major? There are only 3 domestic competitions - yes....the EFL is lower in prestige than the league and FA cup but it is still silverware - that's what all players and fans want - if you don't that you call.

As for the Europa League - you need to get off your high horse and accept the position we are in as a club.

Look at the teams that we beat? Rostov, Vigo, Ajax........yes and what? we can only beat what's put down in front of us and we have done that......its a horrible fact but gone are days were we smash teams 4-5 nil but its the dream to get those days back.

Ask I Spurs fan what they would want - smashing Hull 7-1 or have silverware at the end of a season?

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri May 26, 2017 4:00 pm

so which is it?

Are we rebuilding and if we are then i am glad they are not rebuilding my house extension otherwise i would never move in
This rebuilding from one golden era to another.Did i miss something
We had 1 years of Moyes shit plus 2 years of LVG that nobody liked to watch
We have now had one GLORIOUS year of the moody one which all you lot,and myself have been complaining about the quality and excitement of all year
We have gone from 5th to 6th and picked up a couple of trophies that Chelsea,Spurs and the Berties have minimal interest in
That's rebuilding from the treble winning team is it

So i suppose it must be to accept the club we now are
I presume this Liverpool type acceptance is it?
"We are doing great aren't we"
"Everybody else thinks we are a shit team that has learned to park the bus"
"All of our season revolved around a game against kids in a massive final"
Do you think you can say that in a scouse accent Giants?
That's the sort of fan you are
Old United that has given up and accepted that the richest club in the world with massive resources is feeding you bullshit and you are accepting it
You can't see it can you?
Why has the cash,starting with the Ronaldo money not been re-invested in the worlds best players?
But hey ho if you are happy to accept it who am i to worry

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 pm

If this is how you respond after winning a European trophy and getting into next seasons ECL, you must have been on suicide watch during the 73-74 season.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat May 27, 2017 4:00 am

If this is how you respond after winning a European trophy and getting into next seasons ECL, you must have been on suicide watch during the 73-74 season.
Sad isn't it. Somehow we are the one label as glory hunter. :think:
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat May 27, 2017 7:58 am

It is sad for me

Sad to see how much some of you rever this trophy as somehow a major European trophy
Get a dose of reality Barry please
Look at who was actually in this trophy and look who actually tried to win it
Most English teams try to get out of it season after season in the early rounds and most manage to do so
Why?Well Jose gave you the answer week after week.Injuries and fixture congestion
The only plus is that it gives you a golden ticket into the Champions League
Those that get this golden ticket usually are out of the Champions league first stage anyway

That's now this clubs criteria imo
Can they,will they push forward
Will they use this massive opportunity to actually start to build a team as opposed to a brand
With the money they have retained from the sponsors by not being out of the champions league plus the current TV deals plus the upcoming champions league money plus the savings they have made by not replacing Schweinsteiger,Scheiderlin and Depay there is not,in my mind the slightest excuse not to buy at least 4 players
We need 8 actually but that is very hard.I believe 4 this transfer window and 4 next or at the very worst window after should put us in perfect shape for 2018/19 season
Let's hope this dull football ends

Going back to Giants point
Would Spurs rather smash Hull 7-1 or have silverware?
Only a Spurs fan can tell you
I personally would rather have seen the many 4,5,6 and 7 goals they scored throughout the season and finishing 2nd to winning the EFL cup
It is only winning the UEFA cup that has made this season anything worth while
You have clearly forgotten or chosen to ignore the shit that you yourself was regularly commenting on during the season
Same comment on the fact that we finished around Bournemouth and Stoke in a shit 6th
This,as i have been saying is a massive crossroads for me
Is it shirt sellers or team building ahead?

So Barry did you hurt your todger in 74/75 when after going down in 73/74 having not replaced or tried to replace due to shortage of money.Law,Best and Charlton(now where have i heard that before)
Remember the football?
Flying wingers in Merlin and Willie Morgan
Stuart Pearson up front with wee Louis and Sammy Mac
Just to help you remember that was called attacking exciting football!!
Do you remember it??
Or are you happy with any second rate silverware

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”