Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Premier League.
Saturday 19th August 2017, KO 12:30 BST.
redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: The Rooney Problem

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

You're right, Zlatan was worth two strikers.
:laugh: :laugh:

One on top of each other lol

A lot of talk in social media that we are in talks with Lukaku - maybe part of the deal with Rooney going on a free.

Is it realistic to think we could sign both Morata and Lukaku?
Ask Scouse Ed

I can see us possibly swapping DDG for Morata.That would not be a good deal imo
Swapping arguably the worlds best keeper for somebody that is just a bit more than a squad player for Madrid

With the £300k a week saved on Wazza's wages i can "possibly" see them buying Lukaku
But again imo he is not all that good
Strong yes bit not top top quality
Then again it will be the commercial test that decides

If they do get the two for effectively not a lot they will be proud to announce they have spent £300m in this transfer window
FFS

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Lukaku scored 25 league goals for Everton last season. He might not be top top quality, but if he were to do that for us, that would be the fist time someones done that for us since Fergie left. That would be good enough for me.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:06 pm

So you have no issues with the player, being willing to sit back and collect one of the biggest paychecks in the game for nothing for two years.
I'd probably do it to be fair, although part of that would be not wanting to leave United. But the biggest paycheck I'd ever earn, for not doing much? Yeah, why not?
For an average joe, sure that is reasonable. Rooney is not. Its not like he will get poor to transfer to another club anyway.
Are you honestly telling me that you expect ANYONE to leave £300K a week for a year on the table when all they have to do is honor a contract they are legally required to fulfill.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:11 pm

I am told that the deal is done
Wazza is going to Everton for one season on loan and Everton will pay his wages
After that he can do what he wants.
China is favourite for 2018/19

So that's another £300k a week off the wages bill
As expected there is loads of speculation about "The Rooney Move". One report had has him moving on as free transfer and United subsidizing his salary to the tune of £250 a week.

All thing will become clear eventually.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:24 pm

A lot of talk in social media that we are in talks with Lukaku - maybe part of the deal with Rooney going on a free.

Without traditional wingers I am not sure how we would go about playing Morata and Lukaku at the same time and what that would do to the futures of Rashford, Martial, Mata and MickyT is anyones guess. I think Mourinho wants to play a 4-3-3 formation freeing up Pogba's creativity with a defensive midfielder, additionally both Morata and Lukaku want regular first time football so getting one of them to sit on the bench (without throwing their toys out of the pram) would require a master stroke of management.

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Lukaku scored 25 league goals for Everton last season. He might not be top top quality, but if he were to do that for us, that would be the fist time someones done that for us since Fergie left. That would be good enough for me.
Then you are easily pleased

He scored just 4 in 12 games against the top 6 teams
Manchester City 2 of which one game was a draw and one was a win
He didn't score against Chelsea or United or Liverpool
He scored one against Arsenal but Everton lost
He scored one against Spurs but Everton lost

So over 12 games with 36 points up for grabs his goalscoring helped Everton to just 4 points(all against City)
Hardly a big match goal machine is he

There's been plenty like him over the years
Like Heskey or John Hartson
United have NEVER had a big daft centre forward who just chased flies
With Lukaku as a friend of mine said,"if you open a door behind the goals he will keep running through it"
Full of heart but not great on skill
However that is speculation and this is not a speculation thread is it

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:33 pm

So you have no issues with the player, being willing to sit back and collect one of the biggest paychecks in the game for nothing for two years.
I'd probably do it to be fair, although part of that would be not wanting to leave United. But the biggest paycheck I'd ever earn, for not doing much? Yeah, why not?
So your legacy is that of a great player, not that of a greedy paycheck chaser. It's not as if he hasn't already made millions. He should be able to retire and live lavishly for the rest of his life on what he's already made.
"Make America Great Again!"

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Then you are easily pleased

He scored just 4 in 12 games against the top 6 teams
Manchester City 2 of which one game was a draw and one was a win
He didn't score against Chelsea or United or Liverpool
He scored one against Arsenal but Everton lost
He scored one against Spurs but Everton lost

So over 12 games with 36 points up for grabs his goalscoring helped Everton to just 4 points(all against City)
Hardly a big match goal machine is he
Goals are goals are goals.

Football is a team game. There is a squad full of players involved. Everton are not a top six side, so they will obviously find it tougher to beat Chelsea, Arsenal etc than a top six side would, meaning Lukaku is more unlikely to score winners against those teams.
There's been plenty like him over the years
Like Heskey or John Hartson
Neither of those players got close to Lukaku in terms of goalscoring in the Premier League.
Make football fabulous again!

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 pm

you can all argue about Lukaku , Rooney being greedy....but as long as Ed is enjoying in New Zealand im happy

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:50 pm

So your legacy is that of a great player, not that of a greedy paycheck chaser. It's not as if he hasn't already made millions. He should be able to retire and live lavishly for the rest of his life on what he's already made.
Are you talking about Wazza being greedy and all about money and selfish as he has made enough?

Or are you talking about the Glazers and Scouse Ed who have made a lot more for a lot less and continue to do so,possibly for ever

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Sky Sports News now saying any deal is far from done. Hope this wasnt just another twitterstorm!
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 pm

Sky Sports News now saying any deal is far from done. Hope this wasnt just another twitterstorm!
The original report did come from The Sun so take that for whatever it's worth.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:59 pm

:shock: No.....
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 am

Mail seem to think it's done, and Goal are reporting he'll be wearing the number 10 shirt. COuld well be bollocks, but if it's sealed, that does solve the Rooney problem.

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:33 pm

it is sealed and delivered

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:00 pm

So first they wont get rid of him because he is a brand and they dont care about football but only about commercial reasons

Now they loan him to Everton and got rid of him but now its not a good footballing reason, but they just doing it to save wages - which means saving them money

So whatever they do, you will always view it from your bias?
Bring Back Becks Image

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:01 pm

I'd say it is realistic
Bring Back Becks Image

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:52 pm

I cannot see either being willing to sit on the bench, at +£70M a piece that's a lot of money tied up doing very little, and I do not see how they would function together without major-major updates to our wingers.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:29 pm

and thats without bringing Rashford into the equation! No way we will sign both!

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:34 am

So first they wont get rid of him because he is a brand and they dont care about football but only about commercial reasons

Now they loan him to Everton and got rid of him but now its not a good footballing reason, but they just doing it to save wages - which means saving them money

So whatever they do, you will always view it from your bias?
If they do,as looks likely,let Wazza go it will be money related,commercially related and brand related
Wazza,i suspect,is somewhat interwoven in the Lukaku deal
Lukaku must have passed the commercial shirtselling test with United

Rather than say United are paying £50m for Lukaku and letting Wazza go they will be "proud to announce" they have signed Lukaku for £100m
At the same time Everton will be proud to announce they have paid £50m for Wazza
It's the same thing but commercially manipulated to take in the gullible
I was listening o the Everton fans on the radio yesterdau
They are happy with the deal
They believe thatEverton no longer need the money so any Lukaku money will be reinvested in the team
They also consider Lukaku a greedy bastard and they see Wazza as the prodigal son returning
So commercially it sounds like it works for everybody

I don't know what Lukaku will earn but it won't imo be close to Wazza's £300k a week so United will save money

So becks what is my bias that you disagree with
My OPINION is United are money first,money second,money last
If the team wins a few cheap end bits of tin like the having a laugh cup or the pre season mighty pot noodle cup then that is happily accepted
There is not nor will there be a vast investment with the aim of building towards a top champions league team
That is left to the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City and Real Madrid who will do whatever it takes to try to win the Champions league
They may fail,as they all can't win it but they will spend unlimited amounts trying

Now if you think that is a less than honest opinion or a biased opinion then so be it but i think you will find most agree a lot with that statement
If you are happy with what they have achieved over the last say 6 seasons and ou are thrilled with Lukaku then may i direct you to the merchandising department where you will be able to purchase a Lukaku strip for about £100 next week after Scouse Ed gets back from New Zealand where he still currently is

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Christ, that shirt's awful.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Good luck to him.

And yes; that shirt is awful.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: The Rooney Problem (solved by Koeman)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:05 pm

I honestly don't get why they wanted him back, but perhaps he can re-invent himself there. Thanks for your contributions over the years Wayne. Good luck at Everton.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Re: The Rooney Problem (solved by Koeman)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:38 pm

I honestly don't get why they wanted him back, but perhaps he can re-invent himself there. Thanks for your contributions over the years Wayne. Good luck at Everton.
Re-invent himself as what, a kitman, a janitor? There is no going back to being a footballer for Rooney. Insane deal on Everton's part, has no one there watched Rooney play in the last 4 years? For a club trying to move forward they just took a massive step backwards. Although I don't expect we will see him much beyond September.

Had he left four years ago I would have had plenty of nice things to say about him, now I am just happy to never see him in a United shirt again.
"Make America Great Again!"

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”