Loading...
Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
User avatar
esobeso
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:09 am
Call Me: David

Nemanja Matic

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Apparently had the medical today. More info on BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40770192



DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Apparently to get Sweinsteiger's number, 31:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-13406609

User avatar
Giants14
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1407
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 am

Jose more or less confirming it post game - decent signing, knows the league, knows Jose - should let Herrera and Pogba have more freedom next season - particularly the latter
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 am

DaveMart wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:02 pm
Apparently to get Sweinsteiger's number, 31:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-13406609
Here is the pic - Image
Bring Back Becks Image

User avatar
esobeso
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:09 am
Call Me: David

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm

I think this could be very good for us. Not a glamour type signing but I think he is better than most people think. He was good enough to keep Fabregas on the bench.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 5935
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:05 pm

esobeso wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm
I think this could be very good for us. Not a glamour type signing but I think he is better than most people think. He was good enough to keep Fabregas on the bench.
He played 35 matches in the league, recording 7 assists. That is good.

IMO, this signing will make United a contender for the league.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
esobeso
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:09 am
Call Me: David

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:04 pm


DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:19 pm

:clap: :clap:

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Watching his interview on MUTV, I pierced his cunning disguise!

What a signing!
http://cbr3.imgix.net/wp-content/upload ... op&dpr=1.5

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8058
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 pm

So my take on the signing of this lad is this: it won't be a massive headline tbh. He won't arrive with a huge fanfare. He won't score lots of goals. He won't beat many players for pace. But he has played a big part in Chelseas last few seasons. He had a lot of gametime in Chelseas side and ultimately was probably a big part of the reason they did so well. He provided 7 assists (more than any other player for us!) from a holding role. We now have 3 midfielders in Herrera Pogba and Matic who can pick out a pass from midfield and a player in Lukaku who likes the ball played in behind the defender. We also now have that anchor in midfield that our weak defence has needed as poor old Carrick just doesn't have the legs anymore and Pogba and Herrera just aren't that player.
It's a good signing. If it fits together the way I see it could, it could be a brilliant signing. I would still like to see us sign a true winger. Martial Mata Miki Rashford et al are all makeshift and while it's the norm to play with inside forwards, we still need that width imo.
Back to Matic. Could be a great signing.
100% Top Red

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm

28 though... That's the one downside. We'll get what? 2, maybe 3 years out of him.
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 pm

I honestly think he will be the reason we do well this season, we needed a good holding CM as otherwise how do we get the best out of the other players esp Pogba.

He is the perfect signing in my opinion and I am really excited to see him play alongside players like Pogba, Herrera, Mata etc as he will give them so much freedom.

I think Chelsea will regret selling him to us as much as Arsenal probably did with Van Persie as if we didn't get him, I doubt we would have gotten a top quality holding player and it was the thing we needed the most.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 5935
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 am

Glorio wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
28 though... That's the one downside. We'll get what? 2, maybe 3 years out of him.
I disagree. 28 is a good age, a player at his peak.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 pm
I honestly think he will be the reason we do well this season, we needed a good holding CM as otherwise how do we get the best out of the other players esp Pogba.

He is the perfect signing in my opinion and I am really excited to see him play alongside players like Pogba, Herrera, Mata etc as he will give them so much freedom.

I think Chelsea will regret selling him to us as much as Arsenal probably did with Van Persie as if we didn't get him, I doubt we would have gotten a top quality holding player and it was the thing we needed the most.
Most excited with this signing tbh.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 5935
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:34 am

esobeso wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:04 pm
Now confirmed:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Featu ... elsea.aspx

:)
Brilliant

Image
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:16 am

I like this move.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8058
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 am

Glorio wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
28 though... That's the one downside. We'll get what? 2, maybe 3 years out of him.
How many players retire at 30?
100% Top Red

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:41 am

#Pogbaunleashed

Even if he is a 6-7/10 player but gets Pogba to 10/10, we have a gem

That said, he is a good player in his own right and he is the second player with EPL experience and not just experience but with achievements and quality in the EPL
Bring Back Becks Image

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8240
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:02 am

Glorio wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
28 though... That's the one downside. We'll get what? 2, maybe 3 years out of him.
We're likely to get 4 or 5 seasons out of him.

He's a very good, sensible signing. Exactly what we need.
Image

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:58 am
Call Me: Udit

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am

Happy about this signing. He's better than he's made out to be. Hopefully he can really help Pogba and Herrera shine this season.

The only question mark is his performances during JM's last season at Chelsea - although that could be down to any number of things. The fact that he's chosen to come here and that Mourinho has chosen to sign him hopefully means that the performances in question weren't down to his relationship with the manager.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Udit Misra wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am
Happy about this signing. He's better than he's made out to be. Hopefully he can really help Pogba and Herrera shine this season.

The only question mark is his performances during JM's last season at Chelsea - although that could be down to any number of things. The fact that he's chosen to come here and that Mourinho has chosen to sign him hopefully means that the performances in question weren't down to his relationship with the manager.
Mou's last season with Chelsea isnt really an indication of anything. No player was performing. Look at Hazard in that season and then last season
Bring Back Becks Image

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:58 am
Call Me: Udit

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:09 pm

dbecks07 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 pm
Udit Misra wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am
Happy about this signing. He's better than he's made out to be. Hopefully he can really help Pogba and Herrera shine this season.

The only question mark is his performances during JM's last season at Chelsea - although that could be down to any number of things. The fact that he's chosen to come here and that Mourinho has chosen to sign him hopefully means that the performances in question weren't down to his relationship with the manager.
Mou's last season with Chelsea isnt really an indication of anything. No player was performing. Look at Hazard in that season and then last season
True - but that was also likely due to a breakdown of the team's relationship with Jose, in that they played better without him around.

I'm only wondering as to whether Matic's bad form was due to a similar breakdown, or whether it was a function of everyone else around him playing shit, and a general loss of morale.

Signs point to the latter, and not the former.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Matic in training already

Image

Image

Image
Bring Back Becks Image

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:59 pm

For arguably our most important game of last season, the Europa Cup final, we stared; Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini in midfield. However if we played that game today hopefully Matic would take Fellaini's place and we would be a better team because of it. Matic is a better all-round midfielder than what we already have, barring Pogba and Herrera, he is also better than either Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger who we let go. Our best run of form last season was with a Carrick in a three man midfield. However we cannot play Carrick every game - he wouldn't last until Christmas - so the acid test will be; does the insertion of Matic make us a better midfield and therefore a better team. I don't think there is any question that he would fit into a three man midfield and allowing Pogba and Herrera to do what they do best. Mourinho obviously has enough faith in Matic he can play a role in any formation the United want to play next season; 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 (we don't have the winger to think abut a 4-4-2). I may be deluding myself but I believe that a few years from now we will look back at the transfer and say it was the catalyst that caused a run of great season after great season.

On a side note; I DO NOT think the signing Matic means that Fellaini should be shown the door, he has a role to play in this squad. He should never be played as a Defensive Midfielder, instead play him as a false striker to hold up the ball for others.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Glorio
International Player
International Player
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:36 am

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 am
Glorio wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
28 though... That's the one downside. We'll get what? 2, maybe 3 years out of him.
How many players retire at 30?
Good years (Y)
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

User avatar
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Nemanja Matic

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Glorio wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
28 though... That's the one downside. We'll get what? 2, maybe 3 years out of him.
That's the Rooney influence there

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dbecks07, Giants14