Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Premier League.
Saturday 19th August 2017, KO 12:30 BST.

Who will feature heavily this season

Fosu Mensah
35%
Pereira
29%
Axel
29%
Mitchell
No votes
McTominay
6%
Joel
No votes

Total votes: 17
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Re: Which youngsters will force their way in the side

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:39 am

For young player flexibility and being able to fill multiple roles is essential, they need to show their managers what they are capable of and to learn what are their limitations. If a young player is not able to play other position their chances for game minutes will be seriously reduced and their chance of getting regular spot will be very difficult. The really good young players will be able to make a position their own and that's where they will play for the majority of their careers, towards the end of their careers they may be asked to play another position or style and that will extend their careers.

Blind is a good example of a player who will never be considered a top class or even a great player at any position but because he can play in multiple roles and positions he will have a good career with top clubs until a skillful player comes along who specializes in the same position he plays. I guess the young plays needs to used the playing time they are given and determine if they are good enough at any one those position to specialize in that it or if their efforts should be to develop an all around game and become a "jack of all tradeS".

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Udit

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:13 am

For young player flexibility and being able to fill multiple roles is essential, they need to show their managers what they are capable of and to learn what are their limitations. If a young player is not able to play other position their chances for game minutes will be seriously reduced and their chance of getting regular spot will be very difficult. The really good young players will be able to make a position their own and that's where they will play for the majority of their careers, towards the end of their careers they may be asked to play another position or style and that will extend their careers.

Blind is a good example of a player who will never be considered a top class or even a great player at any position but because he can play in multiple roles and positions he will have a good career with top clubs until a skillful player comes along who specializes in the same position he plays. I guess the young plays needs to used the playing time they are given and determine if they are good enough at any one those position to specialize in that it or if their efforts should be to develop an all around game and become a "jack of all tradeS".
Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

But I'm not sure the first team is the place to experiment with positions. There's reserve and youth football for that. There's definitely an advantage to be gained by virtue of big-game, or first team experience, but is the advantage worth that much if it's gained in a position where the player can't perform to his optimum capability, to try and make the position his own, so to speak?

It's a balance that the manager has to maintain. If you shunt the player around the park too much, you risk losing out on any kind of speciality. But at the same time, if you don't give the kid first team experience, he'll never develop beyond a level.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

But I'm not sure the first team is the place to experiment with positions. There's reserve and youth football for that. There's definitely an advantage to be gained by virtue of big-game, or first team experience, but is the advantage worth that much if it's gained in a position where the player can't perform to his optimum capability, to try and make the position his own, so to speak?

It's a balance that the manager has to maintain. If you shunt the player around the park too much, you risk losing out on any kind of speciality. But at the same time, if you don't give the kid first team experience, he'll never develop beyond a level.
When fighting a fire at some point you will need to get close enough to put water on there fire. I believe that a similar thing can be said about young player, at some point in their development they need to go up against top level competition. The reserver and youth systems can be very effective in culling out those who have shown no aptitude for the top tiers of football. There will always be exception however; If I remember right Rashford was a third sting forward in the youth system and if there had been any other option Van Goal would never have started him but because of injuries he got his chance with the first team and now is one of the first names on the team sheet - admittedly not always as a striker. For every Rashford there will be a Januzaj, or Wilson or Macheda or ... the list is endless. The manager must use first team starts to evaluate young player without throwing them into the deep end which could destroy their confidence. In a nutshell the manager must believe that talent (like cream) will come to the top.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Fosu Mensa loan deal is almost done...
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Fosu Mensa loan deal is almost done...
For those of you who like me went:
'What?'
and knew nothing about a projected loan:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tal-palace

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Yeah, just heard from a Palace fan friend.

Bit gutted, wanted to see him get a proper run in the side.

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Some consistent first team premier league experience can't hurt him though.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:40 pm

So who backs up Valencia then - Darmian? New Signing?
Bring Back Becks Image

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I think that TFM will benefit from regular 1st team premier league minutes but I was hoping those minutes would have came at United. We didn't released as many as I thought we might this summer (Jones, Smalling, Darmian and Young) an it looks like Mourinho is opting for premier league experience over youthful enthusiasm.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 pm

I've been reading about on and off reports regarding Aurier...will wait and see

Apparently, there was a court case holing up his VISA. They said a decision would be made today by the court. TFM moving on loan could mean the decision was positive ??
Bring Back Becks Image

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 pm

It seems Jose has put a firm stop to the notion that Tim was the one 'most likely to force himself in' and get a lot of United game time!

How wrong could we be!

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Towards the end of last season Valencia look fatigued due to the number of games he had played and the style of football he plays. Hopefully we will have at least as many games this season and I hope some thought has been given to who will support the RB position so that Valencia doesn't end up totally knackered come April/May.

The Fabinho rumor appeared to have started up again so many be he is in Mourinho's plans.

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Towards the end of last season Valencia look fatigued due to the number of games he had played and the style of football he plays. Hopefully we will have at least as many games this season and I hope some thought has been given to who will support the RB position so that Valencia doesn't end up totally knackered come April/May.

The Fabinho rumor appeared to have started up again so many be he is in Mourinho's plans.
As has the Serge Aurier rumour.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:46 pm

I believe Axel can also play at RB.

A few injuries and he had better learn how to be in 2 positions at the same time.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Aurier moving anywhere will be totally dependent on the upcoming court ruling, if it doesn't get overturned he will be going nowhere.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 pm

That Aurier guy is a management disaster
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 pm

TFM always looks raw. This loan will do him a world of good

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Darmian I reckon, similar to last year with Darmian/Shaw/Blind and Rojo the options for LB.
Also Smalling and Jones can also provide cover at RB.

It is pretty much the same set of defenders as last year where Fosu Mensah hardly got any playing time so it makes sense to loan him out for PL experience

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:02 am

Makes sense..I'm hoping it paves the way for someone like Fabinho
Bring Back Becks Image

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:06 am

Aurier moving anywhere will be totally dependent on the upcoming court ruling, if it doesn't get overturned he will be going nowhere.
What ruling?

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 am

Currently, he can't enter the UK at all, as a result of a visa refusal due to his conviction in France for assaulting a police officer.
UNITED > ENGLAND

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

What ruling?
He has been found guilty of assaulting a police offices which would prevent him from getting a visa. He is appealing the decision trying to get it overturned, the verdict was scheduled to be given Monday or Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37470381

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

That sounds like the type of individual we want at the club... :roll:
"Make America Great Again!"

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:04 pm

That sounds like the type of individual we want at the club... :roll:
Exactly. Don't even know why he's being mentioned. Seems a right thug - and not just on the field

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”