Next Match: Image
CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.
Wednesday 27th September 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs. West Ham (H)

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Watched the game 5 times - it was a real treat. Watched every player and Matic is just the key to this team - how we have missed this in MF. Buy of the season

Pogba was so free, you could see it in his movement and body language and Micki quietly with 2 assists

Death, Taxes and Lukaka scoring against West Ham are the 3 certainties in life. A few debut goals, but Lukaku gets 2 - looking like we mean business as Mou said - He is on fire and the team looks the same! Havent seen a confident start like this i a long time

Bring Back Becks Image

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Relly wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am
I just arrived in Vienna, I've been travelling for a few days so I missed the game. Sounds like a great start with our signings starting off with a bang. Can't ask for more than that. I am very excited about this season.

You definitely need to watch the game, and particularly Matic. Didn't know the boy had skills like that! :o

We wasn't just breaking up play, he was beating markers, and showing real guile
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Glorio wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm
Relly wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am
I just arrived in Vienna, I've been travelling for a few days so I missed the game. Sounds like a great start with our signings starting off with a bang. Can't ask for more than that. I am very excited about this season.

You definitely need to watch the game, and particularly Matic. Didn't know the boy had skills like that! :o

We wasn't just breaking up play, he was beating markers, and showing real guile
I was really impressed with him against Real. Looks like the player we have needed for a long time.
"Make America Great Again!"

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 pm

yeah too bad he's already 29

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

joze ruis wrote:
Did mention that earlier, and people appeared averse to the suggestion. He's older than we'd ideally like - hopefully, he'll give us 2 good years or thereabouts, but we should already be looking for his replacement. Anyway, that was a different thread and this is the wrong place and day to be focused on that. In life, you've got to relish today, and I'm happy right now to simply enjoy the present! :)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm

He's only just turned 29. He can do another 6 easy ffs
100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:37 am

joze ruis wrote:

Yep too bad his game is based on speed and explosiveness
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:03 am

If they keep this up, we will have a treat of a season :D

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:

the same was said for Schweini. Players that dominate with their physical attributes are the first ones to deteriorate.

anyway i expect no more than 3 seasons in top condition from him. if he plays like he did against West Ham for 3 season he is still a bargain

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm

joze ruis wrote:

the same was said for Schweini. Players that dominate with their physical attributes are the first ones to deteriorate.

anyway i expect no more than 3 seasons in top condition from him. if he plays like he did against West Ham for 3 season he is still a bargain
But he had deteriorated already. For Bayern he only averaged around 20 games a season for the last 4 or 5 seasons before we signed him.
Also if you look at how much football Bastian had played before he came here it would probably be around 200 plus more games. And also he played at a much higher level from an earlier age. Matic hasn't really played a lot of football in his career. He should have a lot left in the tank yet
100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Glorio wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm
joze ruis wrote:
Did mention that earlier, and people appeared averse to the suggestion. He's older than we'd ideally like - hopefully, he'll give us 2 good years or thereabouts, but we should already be looking for his replacement. Anyway, that was a different thread and this is the wrong place and day to be focused on that. In life, you've got to relish today, and I'm happy right now to simply enjoy the present! :)
I don't get this. How many players, barring suffering disastrous injuries, are finished by 31?

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:35 pm

By 31? Most commanding and dynamic central midfield players start the process of diminishing returns to be fair..... I said "good" years by the way. The fact someone walks on to the pitch doesn't mean the deterioration has not started. I think we might be letting the longevity of Scholes, Giggs cloud our judgement here.

I do hold Ste's point though that in his case, he hasn't played as much football as some others

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm
joze ruis wrote:

But he had deteriorated already. For Bayern he only averaged around 20 games a season for the last 4 or 5 seasons before we signed him.
Also if you look at how much football Bastian had played before he came here it would probably be around 200 plus more games. And also he played at a much higher level from an earlier age. Matic hasn't really played a lot of football in his career. He should have a lot left in the tank yet
i admit i dont know how much football or high level training he's been through in his career. This is really a deciding factor because age is just a number, wear and tear is what counts. And most top players have to go trough a lot of wear and tear to reach this level

compare Pacquiao to Mayweather. i would use anology that pacquiao is like a box to box midfielder and Maywetaher is a ''Inzaghi type'' striker. MAnny started to deteriorate a lot sooner than MAyweather despite being younger simply because he's been through a lot of wars.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 pm

I agree totally that wear and tear are a major factor in the longevity of a professional athlete regardless of the sport. I think there are other factors that are in play, how will the player adapt to deteriorating skills, will they (can they) take advantage of the lesson learned during their careers and do they has a manager who will find a new role for them. At United we have example of just about all facets of this issue; after a slightly rocky start Giggs looked after hisself, he defiantly changed his playing style as his physical skills deteriorated and his playing time was managed to take advantage of what he was able to do. Ronaldo (CR7) is another example of a player who I believe is more than capable of playing into his 40's, he is still a great physical specimen and has learned to play just about any attacking position. With the correct management I believe the decision to stop playing will be his and not father times. The other side of the coin is Rooney who never took care of hisself and never really learned another way of playing except the all out physical style of his youth. Although he has been played at other position he never really found his niche.

As far as Matic goes; his footballing skills have surprised quite a number of us, his energy and speed have also been a pleasant surprise. He appears to be in good physical shape and should be good for at least another 2 - 3 years playing regular first team football, after that if managed correctly (and he can adapt) he could have another 2 - 3 years as a Carrick type role for the club. More than enough time to have his replacement ready to go.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:13 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 pm
I agree totally that wear and tear are a major factor in the longevity of a professional athlete regardless of the sport. I think there are other factors that are in play, how will the player adapt to deteriorating skills, will they (can they) take advantage of the lesson learned during their careers and do they has a manager who will find a new role for them. At United we have example of just about all facets of this issue; after a slightly rocky start Giggs looked after hisself, he defiantly changed his playing style as his physical skills deteriorated and his playing time was managed to take advantage of what he was able to do. Ronaldo (CR7) is another example of a player who I believe is more than capable of playing into his 40's, he is still a great physical specimen and has learned to play just about any attacking position. With the correct management I believe the decision to stop playing will be his and not father times. The other side of the coin is Rooney who never took care of hisself and never really learned another way of playing except the all out physical style of his youth. Although he has been played at other position he never really found his niche.

As far as Matic goes; his footballing skills have surprised quite a number of us, his energy and speed have also been a pleasant surprise. He appears to be in good physical shape and should be good for at least another 2 - 3 years playing regular first team football, after that if managed correctly (and he can adapt) he could have another 2 - 3 years as a Carrick type role for the club. More than enough time to have his replacement ready to go.
Agree with this,Matic's passing range is often overlooked. Also longetivity is not how he should be judge, RVP probably gave United 2 good seasons top but he is still one of the best signing ever by SAF considering he brought back the title. We'll see the impact Matic will have on the team over a period of time and judge his value.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Otis
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Great performance all round.Pace,power and a touch of flair and style.
But we will have far,far greater tests than a pathetic West Ham so i'm not going to get carried away.

Outwardly calm but inwardly buzzing.
If you walk with Jesus,He's gonna save your soul.You gotta keep the Devil way down in the hole.
Wayne Rooney....Manchester United Legend.
Come back Ray,the board needs you.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”