Next Match: Image
Leicester City in the Premier League.
Saturday 26th August 2017, KO 17:30 BST.
Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

Lukaku 75 million fee agreed - Officially Signed

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 am

Thoughts?

100% Top Red

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Re: Lukaku 75 million fee agreed

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 am

while i like powerful players i have to say i'm not completely sold on him. Drogba or Eto'o are perfect example of powerful players but unlike Lukaku they had that touch and class.I would prefer Morata but then again you never know how spanih player will adopt to Manchester and PL.

anyway if Matic is next then it's safe to say the days of flair football are over. Jose will make a powerful team like he did in the past

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

He has to be given a chance but my first reaction is that he is neither world class nor a Manchester United style player

The problem with these sort of things is that if it doesn't work out we will be stuck with him as United never admit a mistake and move on

Funny i didn't think he would be the sort of player to pass the "proud to announce" commercial test
Wazza has got to be deep in this deal somehow,somewhere

Interesting that Jose couldn't wait to bin him when he was at Chelsea but now he rates him
A bit strange

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 am

while i like powerful players i have to say i'm not completely sold on him. Drogba or Eto'o are perfect example of powerful players but unlike Lukaku they had that touch and class.I would prefer Morata but then again you never know how spanih player will adopt to Manchester and PL.

anyway if Matic is next then it's safe to say the days of flair football are over. Jose will make a powerful team like he did in the past
I don't get this. Why? The team need a striker and defensive midfilder.

Young powerful striker, 71 goals in 133 games for everton in 3 seasons. Proven in premier league,also a player that Jose knows very well.

I can't really see much negative in this signing.

Added bonus that Lukaku do not overlapped with Rashford/Martial in playing style, meaning they could play together.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:07 am

I don't get this. Why? The team need a striker and defensive midfilder.

Young powerful striker, 71 goals in 133 games for everton in 3 seasons. Proven in premier league,also a player that Jose knows very well.

I can't really see much negative in this signing.

Added bonus that Lukaku do not overlapped with Rashford/Martial in playing style, meaning they could play together.

Jose started last season with intent to play attacking football but as season progressed he was getting closer and closer to his own favourite stlye. And with players we've signed or are chasing ( Lindelof, Lukaku, Perisic,Matic ...) with no flair i get a feeling we will see the old Jose stlye. anyway i like Matic and i hope he does sign

Otis
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am

According to Talksport just know no deal has been agreed.They say this has been confirmed by Everton.
I'm not sure if he will suit our style of play but we are not getting anywhere with Morata so let's go for it.

The days of flair football have long gone at United so maybe the strong and powerful is the way to go for us
and Lukaku is a proven goalscorer which is what we need and he was only behind Harry Kane in the league last season.
If you walk with Jesus,He's gonna save your soul.You gotta keep the Devil way down in the hole.
Wayne Rooney....United Legend.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Del

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 am

Agree with both those points and am somewhat skeptical about Lukaku being worth that kind of price. Also surprised that based on their history, Mourinho and Lukaku would want to work together. I seem to remember Lukaku making some rather bitter sounding statements regarding Jose after leaving Chelsea. But at the same time, most of us had expected those kind of problems with Mata when Jose came last year and that seems to have worked out nicely.

Guess we can only wait,see and hope that he'll continue scoring for us as he did for Everton last season.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 am

Big, powerful, young, EPL experience - scores goals.

I am fairly optimistic but its a hell of a lot of money - still feel we need more going forward
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 am

It's mad money, but he's a good goalscorer.

I think we should still be looking at someone else as well, but this is a good start.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 am

Jose started last season with intent to play attacking football but as season progressed he was getting closer and closer to his own favourite stlye. And with players we've signed or are chasing ( Lindelof, Lukaku, Perisic,Matic ...) with no flair i get a feeling we will see the old Jose stlye. anyway i like Matic and i hope he does sign
I rather he fix the defence before going for attacking football. Once defence is settled, the rest will follows.

I am fairly optimistic but its a hell of a lot of money - still feel we need more going forward
Another winger would be nice!
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Colin

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 pm

I desperately hope that this deal does not materialize
...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:13 pm

I rather he fix the defence before going for attacking football. Once defence is settled, the rest will follows.

Another winger would be nice!
To be honest - id didn't think our defence was overly bad last season - our D can have brain farts but we simply didn't score enough - I always think back to those home games that we completely dominated but couldn't score. Bailly and Lindelof should be a solid unit - I expect one of smalling and Jones to go but I would be content if that was our D unit finished.

I do expect us to go for a CDM - Fabinho or Matic is being talked about.

James Rodriquez or Persic look like our targets.

Would signing Lindelof, Fabinho, Persic and Lukaku get us to the next level needed?
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 pm

The fee is a mad ting.

If Benteke isn't available Lukaku is the next best. Good signing.
Make football fabulous again!

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Interesting that Jose couldn't wait to bin him when he was at Chelsea but now he rates him
A bit strange
No it isn't.
Make football fabulous again!

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 pm

The fee is a mad ting.

If Benteke isn't available Lukaku is the next best. Good signing.
:laugh:
100% Top Red

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm happy with Lukaku if true

Proven EPL is a no brainer when buying

But he has strength that few possess and that strength has taken the EPL defenders on and won. Runs well, hold up play well, finishes.

We saw what Zlatan brought with his strength. Maybe not the same skill but more strength and pace which we need up front especially with Rashford and Martial on either side
Bring Back Becks Image

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I like that it takes a lot of pressure of Rashford as well. Everyone is looking at the £75 million man now, so he has room for the mistakes of youth.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 pm

IMO this transfer kills the Morata from Real Madrid deal, £70+M for potential was always a stretch for me. I do think we need 4 forwards but whoever that is needs to be willing to accept the role as a bench warmer and part time player.

As a single striker I think Lukaku will suit the type of football that Mourinho want to play (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 - with Pogba given a somewhat free role in midfield). Mourinho always want to control the transition and I believe that Lukaku is perfectly suited to that style of play. With Matrial and Rashford we will have options to change our method of attack and shake up defenses when needed, I can even foresee instances where we play a front line of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford. I do not see us playing with a two striker setup, we do not have the wingers needed to support that formation, it's a pity but you have to play to the strengths of the players you have. As far as the fee for Lukaku goes; when we signed Fellaini I thought that United in particular and football in general had totally lost the plot. However many factors; the new television deals, China as a viable market place for players and the growth of the "Mega Agent" has gotten to point where £75M for a proven premier league, 25 goal a season player is the going rate.

The next critical decision facing United is; who can we get to play as a central defensive midfielder (CDM)? The CDM has become a pivotal position for success in the premier league, look no further than what Leicester and Chelsea did with and without Kanté. The good CDM's protect the back line by breaking up attacks and not allowing them to come under pressure. Great CDM does all that and then get the offense going by moving the ball to one of the creative players. They can also pickup the odd goal or two by following up the attacking into the area exited by defenders. With a good CDM this team has potential, if we can find a great one then the title is a real possibility.

The squad still lacks quality depth and a run of injuries could be a disaster - like so many resent seasons - so that will need to be addressed. Hopefully some of the young player can step up and get Mourinho's attention and trust and they can provide minutes during some of the cup runs.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:39 pm

IMO this transfer kills the Morata from Real Madrid deal, £70+M for potential was always a stretch for me. I do think we need 4 forwards but whoever that is needs to be willing to accept the role as a bench warmer and part time player.

As a single striker I think Lukaku will suit the type of football that Mourinho want to play (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 - with Pogba given a somewhat free role in midfield). Mourinho always want to control the transition and I believe that Lukaku is perfectly suited to that style of play. With Matrial and Rashford we will have options to change our method of attack and shake up defenses when needed, I can even foresee instances where we play a front line of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford. I do not see us playing with a two striker setup, we do not have the wingers needed to support that formation, it's a pity but you have to play to the strengths of the players you have. As far as the fee for Lukaku goes; when we signed Fellaini I thought that United in particular and football in general had totally lost the plot. However many factors; the new television deals, China as a viable market place for players and the growth of the "Mega Agent" has gotten to point where £75M for a proven premier league, 25 goal a season player is the going rate.

The next critical decision facing United is; who can we get to play as a central defensive midfielder (CDM)? The CDM has become a pivotal position for success in the premier league, look no further than what Leicester and Chelsea did with and without Kanté. The good CDM's protect the back line by breaking up attacks and not allowing them to come under pressure. Great CDM does all that and then get the offense going by moving the ball to one of the creative players. They can also pickup the odd goal or two by following up the attacking into the area exited by defenders. With a good CDM this team has potential, if we can find a great one then the title is a real possibility.

The squad still lacks quality depth and a run of injuries could be a disaster - like so many resent seasons - so that will need to be addressed. Hopefully some of the young player can step up and get Mourinho's attention and trust and they can provide minutes during some of the cup runs.
From what I read United initially wanted Lukaku but thought he was set on Chelsea. They chose Morata as a cheaper alternative until his price ended up being similar to Lukaku. They got signs Lukaku was interested and for the money they went with him instead.
"Make America Great Again!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Ben - just a feeling but I think part of this deal is a BIG fornicate U to Real Madrid.

Any news on fixing the word transfer bug?

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Ben - just a feeling but I think part of this deal is a BIG fornicate U to Real Madrid.

Any news on fixing the word transfer bug?
Even if it wasn't planned, it was a nice bonus!
"Make America Great Again!"

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Could even be a false flag - Real thoiught that we were desperate to sign their reserve striker so they coul;d push and push for top dollar. I just wonder if they might get worried at getting £0 for him and having to keep him as a benchwarmer, then they might afree to come down on theior price to somnething nearer £50-60m?

Having said all that, that would be crediting Woodward with some negotiating skils,so scrap that!
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm

I have to concur with your last paragraph Ste about Woodward and negotiation skills. The term about a blind pig an an acorn comes to mind. As for Real Madrid they now have their potential future starter at forward not wanting to be at the club and totally pissed off at them. The RM fan will give him a rasher of shit every time he get into the pitch

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 am

I agree with pretty much all this.

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:21 am

One of the best posts i have seen on this forum

Those that think just signing Lukaku and letting Wazza go fixes everything is out of touch
I suggest Scouse Ed might be one of those
Still desperately short of a top quality fullback.We are totally relying on Shaw showing something from 2 seasons ago which realistically isn't available
Also Carrick needs replacing and a winger still badly wanted to cross for Lukaku or are we going to patch a forward line together and hope no injuries from the stsrt

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”