Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Hussain

Zlatan no.10

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Manchester United is delighted to announce that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will continue his journey with the club and has signed a one-year contract. He will wear the number 10 shirt.

Ibrahimović, 35, made 46 appearances and scored 28 goals for the club during the 2016/17 campaign before suffering a knee injury, which ended his season prematurely. Zlatan has won championships in four different leagues since beginning his professional career with Malmo in 1999.

Jose Mourinho said: "We are delighted Zlatan is on the road to recovery and we are equally delighted to have his ambition and experience back with us. After his contribution last season he deserves our trust and we will be patient waiting for him to return. I have no doubt that he will be important in the second part of the season."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic said: "I am back to finish what I started. It was always mine and the club's intention for me to stay. I cannot wait to get back out on that Old Trafford pitch, but I also know that I have to take my time to make sure that I am ready. I have been working hard and will continue to do so to make sure I am in the best possible condition for my return to the pitch."

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Zlatan no.10

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Told ya!

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 pm

he will come back older and after an serious injury. i dont think it 's a good idea to re-sign him. will his ego accept a role on the bench ?

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:28 pm

joze ruis wrote:
he will come back older and after an serious injury. i dont think it 's a good idea to re-sign him. will his ego accept a role on the bench ?
He accept the contract so I assume he agree to fight for his place. Brilliant to have another goal scorer in the team, the season is long.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:42 pm

joze ruis wrote:he will come back older and after an serious injury. i dont think it 's a good idea to re-sign him. will his ego accept a role on the bench ?
Just ask the commercial department if it's a good idea.
UNITED > ENGLAND

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:28 pm

SUBXERO wrote:
joze ruis wrote:he will come back older and after an serious injury. i dont think it 's a good idea to re-sign him. will his ego accept a role on the bench ?
Let's not all try to be the next Ray
"Make America Great Again!"

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Relly wrote:
SUBXERO wrote:
Come on Ben, what's the football point of this "transfer"?
UNITED > ENGLAND

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm

It's early days but the team looks a lot more potent without him. Let's hope he doesn't come and disrupt it all
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Used in the right way I think he can be a big asset for the team. If we are chasing a game and want tree in the penalty area we could do a lot worse than Zlatan. What I cannot do is give him the automatic starting role, his skill sets just doesn't mesh with the skills and style of the team as it is shaping up and we would need to change the way too many other players are playing to accommodate Zlatan as a regular starter.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:14 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Used in the right way I think he can be a big asset for the team. If we are chasing a game and want tree in the penalty area we could do a lot worse than Zlatan. What I cannot do is give him the automatic starting role, his skill sets just doesn't mesh with the skills and style of the team as it is shaping up and we would need to change the way too many other players are playing to accommodate Zlatan as a regular starter.
agreed

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 am

Hard to see how this wouldn't adversely affect Lukaku tbh. Zlatan's ego is not suited for a bench role, I wouldn't have thought.
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:19 am

SUBXERO wrote:
Relly wrote:
SUBXERO wrote:
The team only have Rashford and Lukaku for striker. Signing one more 20goals striker is very much a football decision.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:24 am

Glorio wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:06 am
Hard to see how this wouldn't adversely affect Lukaku tbh. Zlatan's ego is not suited for a bench role, I wouldn't have thought.
I doubt lukaku is that fragile. Zlatan took a 50% pay cut, I'm pretty sure he is determine to win the title more than anything else.

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:21 am

joze ruis wrote:
I guess it was part of the agreement that he will be more of a mentor and spark plug off the bench. We'll see! For now, it's good to have him back! :dance:

JonSnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
well said!

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:45 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
This sums it up for me.

Coming on as an impact player - he should do well for us.

It'll be interesting to see how his recovery has went but the guy is a machine, it looks like he loves it here - could have easily chased the money to china or the MLS in January.

I am happy he is back with a major pay cut. Looking forward to his first game back.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:07 am

That winning mentality and swagger - cant have too much of that around

Plus he will only play in the second half of the season and as its been said, its a long season. He brings quality and used as a sub against tired legs can see him open up defenses - by the time he is fully fit and ready for a full game will be long into the season, I dont think he will disrupt anything now - if anything, he is a great character and personality/mentor for Lukaku and for the entire team right now

Welcome back Zlat!
Bring Back Becks Image

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:14 am

He is a great mentor to the younger players too, who all love him.

He didn't get that sort of respect by dissing them or making them feel small.

As I noted in another thread before spotting this one, Merson talks up the potential negatives of slowing us down and hitting Lukaku's confidence:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... the-debate

For sure its a danger, but hopefully Jose is alive to it, and Zlatan can adapt what he does.

The upside is there is no better striker for Lukaku, Marcus and Martial to learn from.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:33 am

Here are some suggestions on TalkSport about how Lukaku and Ibra could both be accommodated using different formations;

https://talksport.com/football/manchest ... rting-line

They don't look great for our speedy young blades though, and I would hope to see Lukaku and Ibra as more an either/or option, with hopefully loads of games to cover in several competitions.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:43 pm

SUBXERO wrote:
You're asking for the football point of a signing a player who scored 28 goals for us last season?

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 pm

He won't be playing till after Xmas anyway.
100% Top Red

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Dante wrote:
SUBXERO wrote:
You're asking for the football point of a signing a player who scored 28 goals for us last season?
I'm asking for the football point of signing a 36 year old with an ongoing serious knee ligament injury who will be sidelined for months to come.
UNITED > ENGLAND

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 am

SUBXERO wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:38 pm
Dante wrote:
SUBXERO wrote:
I'm asking for the football point of signing a 36 year old with an ongoing serious knee ligament injury who will be sidelined for months to come.
Because come the time when he will be available, their is a chance we will be fighting for trophies on 4 fronts. Last season we fell apart because our squad wasn't strong enough for Europe and the league so we had to pick the Europa league over the premiership. If we get to February and lukaku and/or Martial or Rashford get injured we are well and truly fornicate. Zlatan is the type of player the rest of the team will be buoyed by seeing in training and in the changing room. He has played and won at the very top of every European competition and has the experience and aura to guide the younger players through.
Physically he will be fine. I'm certain of it. Judging by the way he looks after himself and the fact he was never a pacey or explosive player means he won't lose a heck of a lot. Their may well be games where we turn to him to provide that slightly different front man. Lukaku is very good at getting in behind defenders but he isn't the same as Zlatan when it comes to holding the ball up and bringing others into the game. For all Lukakus achievements, he has, justly, been slated for having a poor first touch whereas zlatan has incredible ball control. He plucks the ball out of the air and sets himself. Their are a lot of differences and both players I feel, can offer us a heck of a lot. Lukaku is our first choice striker but Zlatan is one hell of a player to have on the bench or thrown in for the odd game. Not to mention the valuable experience he has
100% Top Red

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:27 am

I never ever doubted his qualities on and off the pitch, don't get me wrong. And I know we were in need of another classy striker (to begin with). My only concern is that his ego and will to be first choice week in week out could seriously disrupt the harmony in the squad which seems to be flourishing at the moment. His impact as a supersub, joker, impact player, mentor, dressing room guru or whatever you call it could really be second to none. In the end, it's Jose's job to give him the role everyone would get the best of, and to make clear to him it's his way or the highway.
UNITED > ENGLAND

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:51 am

SUBXERO wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:27 am
I never ever doubted his qualities on and off the pitch, don't get me wrong. And I know we were in need of another classy striker (to begin with). My only concern is that his ego and will to be first choice week in week out could seriously disrupt the harmony in the squad which seems to be flourishing at the moment. His impact as a supersub, joker, impact player, mentor, dressing room guru or whatever you call it could really be second to none. In the end, it's Jose's job to give him the role everyone would get the best of, and to make clear to him it's his way or the highway.
Well from what I've read he isn't going to be first choice unless form forces him to be. He won't be on as high a wage as he was either. If you actually read some of the quotes it seems he just loves the whole ethos of the club and wants to contribute in any way possible.
100% Top Red

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”