Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Martin Buchan

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 am

Great shout mate (Y)

Despite the fact that Frank O'Farrell was the manager this signing was masterminded by Matt - I remember the game I first heard about him, it was a Scotland Under 23 International, the commentators said Matt and Frank were at the game watching him, he played a blinder and we signed him the next day

He was sheer class, brilliant player and like the rest of that team vastly underrated

It's tragic how people dismiss those lads - they were worth 10 Ronaldo's, Nani's and the rest
Martin and that team achieved so much for us out there, they brought this club back into the first division at the the first attempt, during an era were if you got relegated, you stayed relegated

Many fans today would find it difficult to comprehend that Martin was a truly great player, mainly because he doesn't have the glittering medal collections that others have, but when you understand that the game isn't always about Trophies, it's just about going out there and giving your all for the Club and for the fans, then Martin stands alongside the greats of the game

Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks Keano for starting this. Martin was my favourite player from the 70s. He was Mr Majestic and when I get time I will do that justice with a decent reply.

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:25 am

I remember dad mentioning him once but thats it, i didnt remember asking dad anything about him either like i used to with Best & etc so thank you for the post, Great read!

Me being me, i need to know who the person i read about so here i thought i include some pictures of him. Hopefully its him :roll:

Martin Buchan of Manchester United and Kevin Keegan of Liverpool

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Wonder how many fans today would celebrate the way we did on the day we lifted this Trophy - it's the Second Division Championship - that day was as euphoric as the day back in 1968 when we won the European Cup

He owned Keegan every time he played against him,

Martin Buchan of Manchester United and Kevin Keegan of Liverpool[/quote]

Xico
Trainee
Trainee

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:13 pm

What happened to the opening post of this topic?
The replies made me curious, but the opening post from Keano is no longer available.

Manchester United Football Club | Sporting Clube de Portugal

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:39 am

i cant remember much about him personally, but my dad always told me he was a very under-rated player and captain. He s aid he could have played for any of our great sides no problem, and also that he was so elegant and graceful and unflappable.

Administrator
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:14 am

Xico wrote:What happened to the opening post of this topic?
The replies made me curious, but the opening post from Keano is no longer available.
Unfortunetly it had to be deleted as it was posted in the hour when the server date/time was incorrectly set.

Busby Boy
Trainee
Trainee

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Condor wrote:Thanks Keano for starting this. Martin was my favourite player from the 70s. He was Mr Majestic and when I get time I will do that justice with a decent reply.
Martin was my favourite player from that era also, a great player and a great United captain. ;)

farmer john

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:41 am

martin buchan was probably one of uniteds greatest ever captains imo

he personally held together some very dodgy teams and very dodgy defences- as the lawman said ,he was a matt intervention signing and was brilliant for united

he was the player alan hansen thinks he was- except martin could also pass the ball forwards

a very skillfull defender and the man who held together all of dochertys teams while "the doc" was arguing with a whisky bottle or shagging some member of staffs wife
(Y)

Return to “United Legends & History”