Referee
Referee

Re: Ruud van Nistelrooy

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Another great read Shane.

Two goals sum Ruud up for me.

Vs City away Lost 3-1
Vs Madrid away Lost 3-1

We were so poor in both games and under intense pressure, yet he managed to score under the cosh and give us hope.

100% Top Red

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:23 am

One of the best natural strikers I have ever seen.He scored some crackers during his time at United.

My favourites: vs Arsenal away 2003,vs Fulham home in 2003 and his brilliant turn and volley vs Charlton away in 2005(That was an incredible all-round goal).

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Truth be told, when he was with us, I never really like him or the better word is not been a great fan of his style..granted he scored us lots of goals but I never really like a poacher. I prefer a Saha like or a Rooney like player..but even that is no excuse in acknowledging what a great player he was for us. And I heard he has great character too. My grandad has huge respect for him after meeting the squad when they come to town years back and hes not even a united fan.

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:00 am

Siti... I kinda agree that I prefer a Saha or a Rooney but RvN, as u said, was one of the best when it came to scoring goals. He didn't create much himself but give him a chance and more often than not he wld convert. Also, what I really wanted to add was, that press conference when we won the premier league and he and becks were in madrid. He walked into Becks' press conference and cheered than United had won the league. Something like that will always endear him to us united fans

"I play to fight.....the idea of losing" - Le King Eric Cantona

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:48 am

Ruud himself just said that the poacher is a dying art and may see him make a premature retirement

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Ruud was something else. there' never going to be another one like him

as for those saying he wasnt suited to us, yes he was and he scored lots of goals and we played brilliant football with him around. the problem for us those days was the defence and keeper letting us down times and times again ( between 2001 and 2005 ). and as we approached his final season and signed a great keeper and also the defence got better, the midfield wasnt providing eoungh any more yet Ruud scored 20 league goals half way through the season and was 5 or 6 goals ahead of Henry before being dropped.

I just loved the way Ruud scored goals so easily. I loved watching us pla in the Champions League and just could sense a Ruud goal coming any minute. and then there was his trademark celebration showing so much passion. Ruud gave me LOTS and LOTS of wonderful and happy moments which I'll never forget. he was probably my favorite player at the time and certainly the best striker in the world at the time

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm

i loved it when he scores, and then goes to the fans.. all the fans roar 'RUUUUD'

LEGEND.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 am

Sia I don't think anyone is saying he was wrong for us. Just stating the preference for another kinf of player. But everyone can recognise that he was the most natural of goal scorers. One chance in the box and you just knew he would hit the net more times than not. He was perfect for us with Giggsy, Scholsey and Beckham providing those passes. Loved seeing him play for us and considered him the best striker back then along with the original Ronaldo. Imagine what damage a combination of those two up front could do.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:18 pm

kingcantona wrote:Siti... I kinda agree that I prefer a Saha or a Rooney but RvN, as u said, was one of the best when it came to scoring goals. He didn't create much himself but give him a chance and more often than not he wld convert. Also, what I really wanted to add was, that press conference when we won the premier league and he and becks were in madrid. He walked into Becks' press conference and cheered than United had won the league. Something like that will always endear him to us united fans
You got a clip?

100% Top Red

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:11 am

it was in the news back then!! will have to look for it online..

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:21 am

Yeah I know I remember. Has anyone ever seen it or just read about it

100% Top Red

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:49 am

Ste Farrow wrote:Yeah I know I remember. Has anyone ever seen it or just read about it
I'm sure I've seen it.I could be wrong though,I am 35,my head is getting a bit fuzzy :P I think it may've even been posted on here.I suppose Siti is the one to ask,she'll remember.Can anyone PM her?

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Ste Farrow wrote:Another great read Shane.

Two goals sum Ruud up for me.

Vs City away Lost 3-1
Vs Madrid away Lost 3-1

We were so poor in both games and under intense pressure, yet he managed to score under the cosh and give us hope.
Away to Lyon in 2004. We were truly awful in the 1st half, but his excellent header gave us a chance then he scored about 10 minutes later.

If we were to sign him these days he'd be worth double what we paid for him in 2001. Unbelievable we only won one league title when he was with us. :?

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 pm

mikey wrote:
Ste Farrow wrote:Yeah I know I remember. Has anyone ever seen it or just read about it
I'm sure I've seen it.I could be wrong though,I am 35,my head is getting a bit fuzzy :P I think it may've even been posted on here.I suppose Siti is the one to ask,she'll remember.Can anyone PM her?

Found it! :clap:

http://www.unitedlounge.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=5392

Not bad mike for a fuzzy head at 35! :P

Return to “United Legends & History”