Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Manchester United
Van Nistelrooy playing for Manchester United against Chelsea.Van Nistelrooy signed a five-year contract after passing his medical.[4] He downplayed United's £19 million investment to reporters, saying "The price is not heavy for me – it lifts me up because it means United have big confidence in me."[2] During his first season, Van Nistelrooy scored 23 goals in 32 league games. He broke the record he shared with Mark Stein, Alan Shearer and Thierry Henry, by scoring in eight consecutive league games. He also scored 10 Champions League goals, and was named the PFA Players' Player of the Year.

The following season, he finished as the top Premier League scorer with 25 in 34 games, including three hat-tricks, and he ended the season on another eight-game scoring streak.[5] He started the 2003–04 season by scoring twice in his first two league matches, which boosted his goals in consecutive games record to 10 matches in a row. He scored his 100th goal for the club in a 4–3 victory over Everton on 7 February 2004. He scored two goals, one a penalty, in United's victory over Millwall in the 2004 FA Cup Final.[6]

Van Nistelrooy missed most of the 2004–05 season due to injury, but nonetheless scored a Champions League-best eight goals. One of them was his thirtieth career European goal, which he scored in a 2–2 Champions League group stage draw with Lyon on 16 September 2004, overtaking Denis Law's previous club record of 28 goals. Law later said to reporters, "I'm delighted for Ruud. It could not happen to a nicer guy."[7] Manchester United were eliminated by eventual finalists Milan in the knockout stage after going scoreless in both legs.

At the start of the 2005–06 season, Van Nistelrooy scored in United's first four Premier League games. He finished as the second-highest league scorer with 21 goals, behind Arsenal's Thierry Henry. By the end of his fifth season with United, Van Nistelrooy had amassed 150 goals in fewer than 200 starts.

Van Nistelrooy shields the ball during a match against Tottenham Hotspur.Van Nistelrooy was benched for the League Cup Final against Wigan Athletic, fuelling speculation of a rift between him and coach Alex Ferguson, which Van Nistelrooy denied. He was nonetheless left on the bench for six consecutive league matches, and though he then returned to the starting line-up and scored match-winners against West Ham United and Bolton Wanderers, fresh doubt spread over Van Nistelrooy's future when he was benched for United's season finale win over Charlton Athletic. Ferguson claimed that Van Nistelrooy was angry at the decision and left the stadium three hours before kick-off. On 9 May 2006, Setanta Sports reported that Van Nistelrooy's exclusion from the squad was due to a training session fight between him and team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo. Van Nistelrooy allegedly criticised Ronaldo's tendency to hold onto the ball instead of passing to his team-mates, which sparked the fight, after which Van Nistelrooy remarked, "Go crying to your daddy."[8] The article claimed that this was not a reference to Ronaldo's father (who had died earlier in the season), but to United's Portuguese assistant coach Carlos Queiroz.[9]

Van Nistelrooy signed with Spanish La Liga side Real Madrid on 28 July, departing Old Trafford after five seasons with a total of 150 goals in 220 appearances. With 38 goals, he is also the club's all-time European top goalscorer.
source Wiki :)

RVN just retired from Football. an absolute legend, scoring goals here and there

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Re: Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Mon May 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Bizarre that he only won one title with us and nowt much else (solitary FA Cup?). Still, a United legend and one of the best strikers of the modern era. Deadly.
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Mon May 14, 2012 1:54 pm

agreed. weird thing about Ruud here is winning silverwares with us. but that is also during the Arsenal's golden era. which is a good competition for him against Henry.

hope we really have him on a longer period but that was meant to happen. still love Ruud. hope we can find a Ruud like striker. :(

fac 51
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon May 14, 2012 1:58 pm

It's a shame for him he shared a team with Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Bellion, Liam Miller, and Alan Smith. he was one of my all time favourite players. totally unplayable
there is no value in the transfer market

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon May 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Brilliant brilliant player, definitely one of my favourite players. Legend.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon May 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Absolute legend of the game and the most lethal finisher ive ever seen play. Such a pity he only won one medal but he gave a lot more than that to this club.
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Mon May 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Fergie waited for him to recover for one year, totally worth it. Great player!
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Takhar7
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Sunny

Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Brilliant, brilliant striker - one of the most enjoyable strikers to watch. Just deadly.

Was a shame that it ended so bizarrely for him here. That Carling Cup final strop really spelled the end for him.

No doubt a legend.
Manchester United - Horrible for my health, wonderful for my heart - since 1987

7 Faris 7
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Faris

Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Best finisher I've ever seen. He was easily my favourite player and will be remembered as the Legend that he is.
Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 pm

link up some of his goals cuntos, always a pleasurable experience
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

7 Faris 7
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Faris

Mon May 14, 2012 8:01 pm

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Hussain

Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

what a striker
great finisher, so reliable in the box..
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Yaseen94
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Yaseen Mayet

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:03 am

Great player & goal scorer :D

Legend !!

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFllqTJhQjg

RVN's Man Utd goals

where do you rank Ruud amongst the greatest United strikers? I would say he is the most prolific striker that United have? do yo agree? if not, who do you think would be ranked higher than him.

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:44 am

to me ruud is the best striker we've ever had. better than ronaldo, rooney, cantona, yorke and cole, ole, etc

one striker i never saw play was denis law so i cant comment on him

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:07 am

Sia wrote:to me ruud is the best striker we've ever had. better than ronaldo, rooney, cantona, yorke and cole, ole, etc

one striker i never saw play was denis law so i cant comment on him
true. it was also mentioned that RVN was the second fastest to reach 100 goals and the other one was Law. but RVN was really phenomenal. it was just a sad ending on his united career, if he have stayed another 2 season i think he can even reach 200 goals for united. i don't think we even have any player who can reach 30+ goals in a season. hope we can land someone big.

Return to “United Legends & History”