Manchester City in the Premier League.
Thursday 27th April 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
treble99
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Call Me: ray

George Best

2 years ago

I have been chatting privately with a forum member who has suggested that i tell you about some of my experiences from my personal experiences as a Manchester United fan
In the 1960's i was around when the players still went out on the town

I was lucky to number amongst my friends Paddy Crerand,who is still a friend and the late George Best
I can tell you all the stories you hear about George are true but that is mainly because believe it or not George was very shy.
Very famous,very good looking but shy
Being the god of the time George never paid for anything in Manchester
His very good friend Malcolm Wagner had a hairdressing shop near Kendals and George spent a lot of time grooming himself
Then he opened a boutique with Mike Summerbee next door and that's where you would often find him
Directly below the bookmaker Selwyn Demmy opened a disco which occupied George on a Saturday night after a game
I don't know how George would feel about a Sunday noon or a Monday night game as Saturday night was very important to him,if you know what i mean
All those grainy old films you see of George and champagne fountains were taken in Blinkers,that night club

So let me tell you a couple of stories about George
The first one i was not present at but heard it from 3 sources so it must be true
It was 1968 and United had just drawn with the mighty Real Madrid in Spain and had reached the Champions League final
Back at the team hotel Matt had given the players permission to have a late night if they could find somewhere "sensible" to go
United had flown the players wives in as this was such an important game.
Madrid was a dead city
The United result had seen to that but the concierge knew a small tapas bar.
Pat Crerand and his wife,Alex Stepney and his wife,Nobby Stiles and his wife and George Best and miss world all went out

So they get to the bar and order drinks and food
The drinks come quick and start sliding down but the food is slow in coming
Then it starts arriving,as tapas do,in dribs and drabs
One of the players wives(who shall remain nameless) gets stuck into the first dish which was chicken
Miss world suggests that they should wait until all the food is ignored
That is ignored
Then the meatballs arrive and the same scenario
At this time Miss world gets very lippy and calls the other wives rude and pigs with no manners
The nameless wife takes offence and banjo's Miss world with a right hook and knocks her out
George doesn't give a shit and leaves her
When the meal is over they head back to the hotel in 2 taxis
The first taxis has the wives in
As Miss world staggers towards the door the other wives slam it shut and leave her on the street

Second story
George was invited to the Football Sportwriter Dinner,at the Savoy in London, for an honorary award
This was not long before his death
George was on his hotel with his special guests that included Michael Parkinson plus wife,David Sadler plus,Paddy Crerand plus,Harold Riley(the painter plus)
Anyway Paddy's wife can't be arsed going so i got her invite
Flight down to London then chauffer to the Savoy
A few hours rest then to the grand hall
Dinner
Overnight stay and chauffeur back to the airport
Very nice

Anyway we get to the hotel and throw our bags into reception to be taken up the room
Then we head to meet George at the Feeny Arms which was his local pub in Chelsea
When we get to the pub his father Dickie is already at the pub
He's bough a girlfriend from Ireland
Now remembering that Dickie is in his 70's he wants to make an impression on this "lady"
He is cursing because the room he has at the Savoy has two single beds

Anyway it's time to get ready so we all head back to the hotel
Paddy and i go and get our keys and sod me they have given us one room with a double bed
Paddy says not to worry as we're with George so we'll be up all night at the bar

So we get showered and put our tuxedos on and go downstairs to a VIP room for an cocktail
This announcer in a penguin suit comes to organise us to be marched into the room
He lines us up in the order he will announce us which starts with Mr and Mrs George Best,Mr Dickie Best and friend,Mr and Mrs Parkinson,Mr and Mrs Crerand.
At this point Pat points out that i am not Mrs Crerand and the announcer says "no problem".We'll make it Mr Crerand and partner
Paddy then asks him if he is taking the piss,plain stupid or just wants knocking out
Don't you love friendly nights out

mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Miguel

Re: George Best

2 years ago

Great stories Ray. An old member of this forum, Lawman, used to tell tales of Paddy being a bit of a psycho on the football pitch, so I can imagine he didn't take kind to the suggestion that he maybe batted for the other team. Lawman said that once he was watching United, pre-50 cameras at football matches at football games days, and one of the opposition players had been giving Paddy a bit of a hard time. He said that when the action was down the other end, and United were on the attack, that Paddy clean knocked out this player, he banjoed him and put him on his back, and none of the officials saw it!

About George Best. Do you know much about his relationship with Bobby Charlton? I have read many different stories over the years, ranging from Bobby hating George to they were like bothers. Can you shed light on this?

treble99
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

2 years ago

George and Bobby were from different era's
They were not social friends but they certainly weren't enemies

Having survived Munich Bobby carried and imo still carries to this day a lot of ghosts with him
Bobby was from a footballing family from the North East and had lived his life in a professional manner
Whereas George was always a day at a time man

Bobby always looked for the next pound
He still does with all the money he gets from United and over the years has had his soccer schools and i think he had an association with a Gas company
George blew fortunes on the dice table and didn't give a shit about money

That leads me on to another George story
George was about to made bankrupt when old United player,George Best lover and world famous artist Harold Riley stepped in
He painted a painting of George and made 100 limited edition prints
He told George to come to his studio in Salford which George did
He got George to sign all 100 and Harold signed them all
He gave George 50 in a tube and kept 50
He told George to get a specific train back to London
He told George there would be somebody waiting for him on the platform who would introduce himself as a friend of Harold Riley
George was to hand over his 50 prints and would receive a very large bankers draft that would solve all his financial problems

George went on the piss with Hurricane Higgins,missed the train and ended up dossing at some birds place
He couldn't remember what he had done with the prints and ended up bankrupt

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

Mr. and Mrs. Crerand :laugh:

enjoyed reading them ray, thank you (Y)

the story about bankruptcy was incredibly sad

Dante
Referee
Referee

2 years ago

Thanks for sharing this Ray.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

Aye, nice read.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

2 years ago

ta for sharing
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

joze ruis
First Team Player
First Team Player

2 years ago

that bankrupt story is classic Best :D it made me chuckle :D

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

Thanks for posting the stories, would love to hear more. As Mikey said Lawman was one of those that used to post so many great stories, shame so many of them got lost when TR did their revamp.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

2 years ago

George and Bobby were from different era's
They were not social friends but they certainly weren't enemies

Having survived Munich Bobby carried and imo still carries to this day a lot of ghosts with him
Bobby was from a footballing family from the North East and had lived his life in a professional manner
Whereas George was always a day at a time man

Bobby always looked for the next pound
He still does with all the money he gets from United and over the years has had his soccer schools and i think he had an association with a Gas company
George blew fortunes on the dice table and didn't give a shit about money

That leads me on to another George story
George was about to made bankrupt when old United player,George Best lover and world famous artist Harold Riley stepped in
He painted a painting of George and made 100 limited edition prints
He told George to come to his studio in Salford which George did
He got George to sign all 100 and Harold signed them all
He gave George 50 in a tube and kept 50
He told George to get a specific train back to London
He told George there would be somebody waiting for him on the platform who would introduce himself as a friend of Harold Riley
George was to hand over his 50 prints and would receive a very large bankers draft that would solve all his financial problems

George went on the piss with Hurricane Higgins,missed the train and ended up dossing at some birds place
He couldn't remember what he had done with the prints and ended up bankrupt

Need more of this from you Ray

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

2 years ago

Great stories about George they bring back many memories from an era where memories are, at least for me, somewhat blared or hazy. I was in the navy and at university in London during the late sixties and early seventies but whenever I would go home to visit my cousins and friends we would more often than not end up in the clubs of Manchester; The Oasis, Time & Place and Blinkers along with many others, they all pretty much had the same crowd making the rounds. Stories about George where alway circulating and even by the standards of the "sixties" they where way out there.

Thanks Ray.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

2 years ago

Sad how he pissed his life away. Great stories though.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

2 years ago

Same thing is happening now with Gascoigne. He's in an even miserable condition.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

2 years ago

However he probably enjoyed his life more than most.
"Make America Great Again!"

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

2 years ago

However he probably enjoyed his life more than most.
Until he started having liver problems.

I believe it was the liver anyway.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

This is a question to Ray but is also aimed at others who may be old enough to have seen George Best play.

What are your favourite memories of George Best on the football pitch?

Many of us here are too young to have ever seen him grace a football pitch and all we have to go on is grainy old video footage. We will never get the chance to see what he did week in and week out, when a swivel of his hips would send not only the player he was taking on in the wrong direction, but crowd in front of him too.

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

2 years ago

I saw a clip of him belt someone and knock them clean out and walk away blowimg his knuckles. I've tried to find it since but haven't found it
100% Top Red

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player
Call Me: Colin

2 years ago

Heard he was the best!
...and the Truth shall make you free.....

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

2 years ago

I saw a clip of him belt someone and knock them clean out and walk away blowimg his knuckles. I've tried to find it since but haven't found it

they were after his booze stash :P
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

treble99
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

2 years ago

This is a question to Ray but is also aimed at others who may be old enough to have seen George Best play.

Many of us here are too young to have ever seen him grace a football pitch and all we have to go on is grainy old video footage. We will never get the chance to see what he did week in and week out, when a swivel of his hips would send not only the player he was taking on in the wrong direction, but crowd in front of him too.

By asking me about memories as opposed to memory you have given me a chance as there are so many
He was a player you would go and watch no matter who you supported
He got you to do something we currently rarely do now
He got you n the edge of your seat

The most important moment was the second goal United scored in the 1968 European Cup Final.This was the first in extra time and gave United the lead
They went on to win 4-1 and honoured the Babes
That was my first Wembley
After the game some of us ended up doing the conga down Downing Street.It wasn't sealed off in those days

There was the game,in Lisbon,also against Benfica in 1965/66.It was the second leg and United had won the first leg 3-2
Matt told the team to start tight and try to get to half time level
Benfica had never lost a home game in Europe in the Stadium of Light
After 12 minutes United were leading 2-0 after a magnificent solo run by George and a great header.George mustn't have heard Matt!!!
United went on to win 5-1
When the United plane returned to Manchester after the game George got off wearing a sombrero and became known as "El Beatle"
He was just 19 at the time

United v Chelsea at Old Trafford 1970
George is sent clear but across comes Chopper Harris
He didn't get his nickname because he had a big dick
Chopper slid in and took a chunk out of George's leg
I still remember the ground shaking
George just slid the tackle and kept going.
Remembering this is not Danny Welbeck0 you don't need me to confirm he scored

United v Chelsea 1965
The Chelsea fullback is about to hoof the ball forward from out on the wing
George charges the ball down
With the fullback trying to get back George brings the ball under control
He beats the fullback again and from just inside the penalty area(but out on the wing) he floats a perfect chip over Peter Bonnetti in the Chelsea goal

He once played against England for Northern Ireland
Gordon Banks in the England goal had the ball in his hand.
He tossed it in the air to kick upfield and before Gordon got his boot to it George had clipped it away from him and ran round him to score
So in the keepers hands the ball is dead but when lobbed in the air is it back in paly
The argument raged for months

He once played Scotland on his own at Windsor park
A total masterclass on a mudheap of a pitch
At one point his boot came off
George picked it up and with one boot on and one in his hand and the ball at his feet,he beckoned the full back with his hand to come and try to tackle him

In 1970 he scored 6 goals again on a mud heap against Northampton
The last goal he feinted one way and put the keeper on his arse and then walked round him

See if you can find a clip of George being interviewed on live TV by Terry Wogan
They had left George in the hospitality room with wine for two hours
When he came on he couldn't remember his name
Classic TV

I am sure all of you computer geeks can find clips of all of the above
Well worth watching

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

It's because of George Best that I'm a United supporter. My dad's dad was an Aston Villa fan, so he took my dad to the football at Villa Park when he was a boy to go see Aston Villa against United. George Best played for United of course and my dad was blown away by him that day. He's been a passionate United supporter ever since. My dad moved to Manchester shortly before I was born in 1984 and there was never any chance I'd support anyone but United. There wasn't even a time at which I actually began to support United since myself and my brother were just brought up that was as babies. I obviously never saw him play myself but I'll always know that I am who I am because of my dad and George Best.

Coincidentally my dad actually looks the spitting image of George Best, right from his long-haired twenties, through his middle-aged greyness up until when Best started looking really gaunt and ill, my dad's always looked just like him. For that everyone's always called my dad 'Bestie'.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

By asking me about memories as opposed to memory you have given me a chance as there are so many
He was a player you would go and watch no matter who you supported
He got you to do something we currently rarely do now
He got you n the edge of your seat

The most important moment was the second goal United scored in the 1968 European Cup Final.This was the first in extra time and gave United the lead
They went on to win 4-1 and honoured the Babes
That was my first Wembley
After the game some of us ended up doing the conga down Downing Street.It wasn't sealed off in those days

There was the game,in Lisbon,also against Benfica in 1965/66.It was the second leg and United had won the first leg 3-2
Matt told the team to start tight and try to get to half time level
Benfica had never lost a home game in Europe in the Stadium of Light
After 12 minutes United were leading 2-0 after a magnificent solo run by George and a great header.George mustn't have heard Matt!!!
United went on to win 5-1
When the United plane returned to Manchester after the game George got off wearing a sombrero and became known as "El Beatle"
He was just 19 at the time

United v Chelsea at Old Trafford 1970
George is sent clear but across comes Chopper Harris
He didn't get his nickname because he had a big dick
Chopper slid in and took a chunk out of George's leg
I still remember the ground shaking
George just slid the tackle and kept going.
Remembering this is not Danny Welbeck0 you don't need me to confirm he scored  

United v Chelsea 1965
The Chelsea fullback is about to hoof the ball forward from out on the wing
George charges the ball down
With the fullback trying to get back George brings the ball under control
He beats the fullback again and from just inside the penalty area(but out on the wing) he floats a perfect chip over Peter Bonnetti in the Chelsea goal

He once played against England for Northern Ireland
Gordon Banks in the England goal had the ball in his hand.
He tossed it in the air to kick upfield and before Gordon got his boot to it George had clipped it away from him and ran round him to score
So in the keepers hands the ball is dead but when lobbed in the air is it back in paly
The argument raged for months

He once played Scotland on his own at Windsor park
A total masterclass on a mudheap of a pitch
At one point his boot came off
George picked it up and with one boot on and one in his hand and the ball at his feet,he beckoned the full back with his hand to come and try to tackle him

In 1970 he scored 6 goals again on a mud heap against Northampton
The last goal he feinted one way and put the keeper on his arse and then walked round him

See if you can find a clip of George being interviewed on live TV by Terry Wogan
They had left George in the hospitality room with wine for two hours
When he came on he couldn't remember his name
Classic TV

I am sure all of you computer geeks can find clips of all of the above
Well worth watching

I love reading stuff like this Ray. Remember me telling you about the days of United Lounge when we had posters like Lawman, Condor and Farmer John? It takes me back to those days. I love reading about the United of old.

In fact, I know you're not a big reader, but i've just searched (thanks Dan :P ) and found the old George Best thread from 2007. Have a read and you'll see what I was on about.

http://www.unitedlounge.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=8&t=312

Reading that got me a bit misty eyed. Two of those old posters are sadly dead now. RIP Condor and Farmer John (f)

Giants14
International Player
International Player

2 years ago

I am from the same estate in Belfast (Cregagh) that George grew up in and was fortunate to be out playing football when he came home to see his dad (Dickie-) and sister. My mate was neighbours with his sister and asked if we wanted to come down to the house and meet him knowing we were both united supporters. I was around 10 or 11 back (late 90s) then but i knew i was meeting with greatness, he didnt say very much but got an autograph and a hand shake from him - great times.

When his death was announced the entire country mourned one the greatest that ever lived, his house in Burren Way was covered in flowers, old football jeresys with hundreds of messages and many of you know the thousands that attended stomont for his funeral.

I envy anyone who saw him play in the flesh.

Never Forgotten.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Return to “United Legends & History”