Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 1st April 2017, KO 15:00 BST.
Ned
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Life after Matt

8 years ago

Great read this thread (Y)

I'm in that age bracket where I've never known anything else except Manchester United with Alex Ferguson in charge. It will be the most strange situation when he goes and I hate that every year that time edges a little bit closer. I'm worried that, as before, no-one will want to touch the managers job at Old Trafford. How can someone possibly fill the boots of SAF?

I'd be very worried about the fans reaction to a new manager if success isn't continued immediately. I would absolutely cringe if, for example, sections of Old Trafford were booing the team a month or two into a new season.

A lot has been made of the Glazer takeover. They have largely in the background since taking over ownership, but we've had the best manager in the world at the helm. When SAF leaves who's to say that the Glazers attitude won't change? It would be a disaster if we descended into a club as farcical as Newcastle, City or even Chelsea.

I was interested to read that Bobby and George had stopped speaking as I was never aware of that...what happened between them??

[center]In Love With Detail[/center]

Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

8 years ago

Bobby disagreed with Georges lifestyle and thought he was throwing away his football career.

Ned
Academy Player
Academy Player

8 years ago

Did they reconcile?
[center]In Love With Detail[/center]

Manchester Boy
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Thomas

8 years ago

Thanks for that Lawman. The day SAF will leave United, will be a very sad time, but I don't think we'll go through the same rigmarole when Matt left

Good read (Y)
I hope the same thing of life after Matt doesn't happen for United in life after SAF.
Nobody Does it better

"Madam, I am a professional. The Key to my release is under this pillow."

Nails are like candy to robots and we'll eat tires instead of Liquorice

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

8 years ago

makes you scared for SAFS retirment

my god thats an exceelent post john
but it gets you thinking what will happen when Sir Alex retires

roy may have the balls to do it, but its going to be a scary ride

im just excited to tell this story to my kids and grand kids about fergie
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

8 years ago

Did they reconcile?
They did, around the mid 80s, It was Bobby who made the first move though, George held a grudge for years, he said he couldn't stand Bobby's "Holier than thou" attitude, but Bobby broke the ice during a documentary about United and George, sometime around 1988 when Northern Ireland held a testimonial for him

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

8 years ago

Great post,Lawman,and as usual,factual and as it happened.There is nothing more to be said about that period of our history because you have said it all.
History will not repeat itself,I'm convinced of it.Sir Alex will not allow the club that he has built to disintegrate like it did when Sir Matt retired.He will not let a young inexperienced man take the helm nor will he allow the Dochertys and Champagne Charlies of this world to be considered.He will not leave a team of once great players to carry on past their time because there was nobody to replace them.Most importantly,he will step down having satisfied himself that the club will not be left at the mercy of a corrupt mafia-type family regime as it once was.
We all know the great teams Sir Alex created but lets not forget the great football club he re-built from the rubble of those bleak days after Sir Matt.
I believe Sir Alex is now preparing for the day when he hands over the responsibility to his successor whoever that may be.He will take the seat of President of Manchester United and Sir Matt will smile down from Heaven and nod in approval.
Heroes come and go.A Legend is forever.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

8 years ago

A lot of people forget, Matt didn't deliberately leave United that way, as Denis Law said "Matt wasn't a well man after Munich, he never fully regained his health, he retired because he couldn't go on anymore, that's why the lads went the extra mile to fulfill his dream"

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

8 years ago

I wasn't apportioning blame on Sir Matt but I think the appointment of Wilf McGuinness as his successor was a staggering decision.Wilf just wasn't qualified to take over from Sir Matt and give coaching instructions to the trinity of Law,Charlton and Best as well as inheriting a team that was past it's best.The odds were stacked against him from the start.It was the start of the decline in my opinion and reached it's climax in 1971 when Sir Matt finally retired and Jimmy Murphy left the club.
The real point I was trying to make was that Sir Alex will be aware of what happened when Sir Matt stepped down and will not allow the same mistakes to be made.
Heroes come and go.A Legend is forever.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

8 years ago

I didn't say you where - that was for the benefit of others, but I'm sure that if Matt had been in better health he would have stayed longer and rebuilt the team

As for WIlf, well, truth is nobody else would touch the job, that's what I think will happen when Sir Alex goes, Matts shoes where way to big to fill, what will Alec Ferguson's be like?

You've seen the way the glory hunters demand success, wanted the Gaffer sacked after going only 3 seasons without the League Title, how much patience will a new man be allowed? A season?

K-Stand Red
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Kim

8 years ago

Absoutely fascinating post John, albeit slightly terrifying too when putting it into today's context.
I can almost imagine Fergie's last game in charge at Old Trafford being like your experience with Sir Matt.
It doesn't bear thinking about.
"We all agree, K-Stand is better than J-Stand"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

8 years ago

I didn't say you where - that was for the benefit of others, but I'm sure that if Matt had been in better health he would have stayed longer and rebuilt the team

As for WIlf, well, truth is nobody else would touch the job, that's what I think will happen when Sir Alex goes, Matts shoes where way to big to fill, what will Alec Ferguson's be like?

You've seen the way the glory hunters demand success, wanted the Gaffer sacked after going only 3 seasons without the League Title, how much patience will a new man be allowed? A season?
but its a lot different these days

who ever takes over really wont give a fornicate about the demands at first

they'll think my god manchester united, they will pay me a lot

any of fergies apprentices will want the job

there will be plenty of people wanting it, its up to us to choose the right one and for the fans, to have patience
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

New Signing
New Signing

8 years ago

but its a lot different these days

who ever takes over really wont give a procreate about the demands at first

they'll think my god manchester united, they will pay me a lot

any of fergies apprentices will want the job

there will be plenty of people wanting it, its up to us to choose the right one and for the fans, to have patience
The fans will have patience the owners will not. Man Utd will have to be relatively successful even if we're not at the pinacle of English football simply to ensure that our revenue keeps flowing in steadily enough to slowly take care of our/their debt. As things our right now we're pulling in cash from all over. We are not simply the instiution that is United giving us a huge market share when it comes to sponsorship deals and the like but we're also regularly getting prize money. As Gill says the two are interrelated the more successful we are the more sponsors will be willing to give us cos the winning team will get more coverage. The Glazers are not going to tolerate 3 or 4 years without major trophies after Sir Alex. They may give a new guy one or two seasons to show his stuff but beyond that...my main fear when Sir Alex goes is not that we crumble but that in order to ensure success the Glazers bring in a man who will play 4-5-1 and win every game 1-0 to ensure the prize money and endorsements keep flowing in. Quieroz is in a good position right now to inherit but if he does get it and doesn't do the business the next man after him may be a defensive mastermind.
"I might have said that, but on the whole I talk a lot of rubbish."--Eric Cantona

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

8 years ago

I wasn't apportioning blame on Sir Matt but I think the appointment of Wilf McGuinness as his successor was a staggering decision.Wilf just wasn't qualified to take over from Sir Matt and give coaching instructions to the trinity of Law,Charlton and Best as well as inheriting a team that was past it's best.The odds were stacked against him from the start.It was the start of the decline in my opinion and reached it's climax in 1971 when Sir Matt finally retired and Jimmy Murphy left the club.
The real point I was trying to make was that Sir Alex will be aware of what happened when Sir Matt stepped down and will not allow the same mistakes to be made.
Well Sir Alex is already building a squad that should not be past it after he retires. And I have a good feeling that he'll be the one selecting a new manager.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

3 years ago

Given what the team is going through at the moment, thought I'd bump this old nugget
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

3 years ago

I wasn't apportioning  blame on Sir Matt but I think the appointment of Wilf McGuinness as his successor was a staggering decision.Wilf just wasn't qualified to take over from Sir Matt and give coaching instructions to the trinity of Law,Charlton and Best as well as inheriting a team that was past it's best.The odds were stacked against him from the start.It was the start of the decline in my opinion and reached it's climax in 1971 when Sir Matt finally retired and Jimmy Murphy left the club.

:oops:
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

3 years ago

Forgot this thread, saw the title and thought "what the.."

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

3 years ago

LOL me too. Great find though Lefty.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

3 years ago

this can continue as Life after Alex

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

3 years ago

and they say history never repeats ??
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

ASHLEY GRIMES
Reserve
Reserve

3 years ago

"OH MY FOOKINNNG GOD!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

3 years ago

and they say history never repeats ??
:-/

ivandaman
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Da-Man-Ivan

3 years ago

Spooky
To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

3 years ago

Life is a circle, everything new is a repeat.

A true piece of history. (Y)
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

3 years ago

I wasn't apportioning  blame on Sir Matt but I think the appointment of Wilf McGuinness as his successor was a staggering decision.Wilf just wasn't qualified to take over from Sir Matt and give coaching instructions to the trinity of Law,Charlton and Best as well as inheriting a team that was past it's best.The odds were stacked against him from the start.It was the start of the decline in my opinion and reached it's climax in 1971 when Sir Matt finally retired and Jimmy Murphy left the club.
Well Sir Alex is already building a squad that should not be past it after he retires. And I have a good feeling that he'll be the one selecting a new manager.
Half right.

Return to “United Legends & History”