Manchester City in the Premier League.
Thursday 27th April 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
Kevin_Yahoo
New Signing
New Signing

Karel Poborsky

10 months ago

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about heroes of the Euros (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get United fans' memories of Karel Poborsky. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at United (and the Czech team, if you followed his international exploits!).

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website during the tournament. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes will be credited to United Lounge.

Cheers,
Kevin

Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Karel Poborsky

10 months ago

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about heroes of the Euros (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get United fans' memories of Karel Poborsky. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at United (and the Czech team, if you followed his international exploits!).

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website during the tournament. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes will be credited to United Lounge.

Cheers,
Kevin
Poborsky was the right player at the wrong time for United. A classy, technical winger, he seemed made for United, and with that lob against Portugal in Euro 96, we'd signed a player who had scored on of the best goals in European Championship history. Then a month later, David Beckham scored from his own half against Wimbledon, and that summed up Poborsky at United. No matter what he did David Beckham would just do it better.

He was never a bad player for United, but he was surplus to requirements from the moment he arrived. If he had come a year earlier to replace Kanchelskis, when Beckham had only 16 professional games under his belt, five of them for Preston, it might well have been a different story. A full season and a bag full of goals later, Beckham was the first choice right winger on merit, and Poborsky could never do enough to quite displace him.

When he left there was no great sense of loss at United, and the team went on to win the treble the following season. Lovely as the move was.,when one of your most memorable moments is a goal against Swindown Town in the League Cup, it says a lot about your standing.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Del

10 months ago

From what I remember he scored a pretty good goal against Leeds as well but unfortunately the thing that always comes to mind when I hear Poborsky's name is the comment Sir Alex wrote in one of his books.......something to the effect that when Poborsky arrived at Old Trafford he looked more like he'd come to join Led Zeppelin than to join Man United. Fergie never was a fan of long hair :laugh:
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

10 months ago

Classic example of a player bought off the back of a big tournament. He had a good Euor96 but was never as good as he was in those games. Decent player...bad buy.
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Return to “United Legends & History”