Ajax in the Europa League Final.
Wednesday 24th May 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
Manchester Boy
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Thomas

Re: United Players you have met

9 years ago

The closest i was to a United players was watching them at streford end, Whilst i was visiting OT on a tour about three days ago a group saw Ronaldo (back when he had the shiner) and got autographs. Bloodly three days off. I haven't met any United players. :x :cry:

Nobody Does it better

"Madam, I am a professional. The Key to my release is under this pillow."

Nails are like candy to robots and we'll eat tires instead of Liquorice

LoyalRoyal

9 years ago

I met Teddy Sheringham at a McDonalds in a service station after the United Boro game in 2000 (i think). United won 2-1 and Teddy scored.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: John

9 years ago

Back in the late 90's I worked at a classical horse stud and german shepherd kennels close to boothstown which is just past worsley.I worked on the dog side of things and a couple of girls worked with the horses.Although I never rode horses myself I often used to tag along,with a dog on a lead,just to be around as the horses were stallions and liable to go nuts at any given opportunity.Also sorry for being un PC but it was also a good chance for a good old fashioned perv.Anyway this one day I went out with one of the girls called Kate and she was riding a fine andalucian stallion called tanaj,we decided to take a short cut through the housing estate in boothstown,it was a very ordinary housing estate 3 bedroom semi detached kind of estate.Eric Cantona came striding up a driveway and started waxing lyrical about the orse,he knew what breed it was and everything he was firing all kinds of questions at kate,I was gob smacked to tell you the truth,Eric was my absolute hero at that time,if i would of spoke I would have said something really daft,I think I let out a mmmm when he stroked the dog and said nice dog.I looked at Erics feet and he was wearing slippers.Tanaj decided that now was the time to have the mother of all turds,right in front of le'king.Eric told us to wait there and buggered back down his driveway only to re-emerge with a bucket and a shovel,he wanted the horse shit for his garden.I remember a lad,must of been his son booting an old casey in the front garden,from where Eric came from he must have been having a kick a bout with his lad.Was one of the most surreal moments of my life.I just couldnt belive that someone like Eric would live in such an ordinary house on such an ordinary street,in an ordinary town like Boothstown.It makes it harder to belive nowadays with footballers buying entire hamlets and building 18 bedroom mansions or the cheshire set with their purpose built pads in prestbury.

Oh and that girl Kate on the horse,i married her.

POST OF THE YEAR

Romulus

9 years ago

I would too if my wife's horse shit was cleaned up by Eric.

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Joanne

9 years ago

@Mike: What a fantastic story. That's the stuff of Legends. Eric was so down to earth-despite his knowing that he was the best thing since sliced bread. I had a feeling the story might end that way too. A classic!
1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

K-Stand Red
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Kim

9 years ago

Wow, there are some bloody amazing stories on here!! My experiences are nowhere near as exciting but anyhow, my list is as follows......

Paddy Crerand (A few times at home games, away games and dinners)
Alex Stepney (Dinner)
Sir Bobby Charlton (Dinner)
Denis Law (Dinner)
Brian Kidd (Dinner)
Wilf McGuinness (Family friend)
Nobby Stiles (Old Trafford x2)
Bill Foulkes (Old Trafford)
David Sadler (Old Trafford)
Clayton Blackmore (Dinner)
Norman Whiteside (Staff Dinner- he tried to get me to dance with him lol!)
Bryan Robson (Outside Old Trafford, Staff Dinner and Sportsmans' Dinner -at least)
Gary Bailey (randomly at Bayern Munich away!)
Arthur Albiston (Dinner)
Lou Macari (Old Trafford)
Sammy McIlroy (Old Trafford)
Viv Anderson (Outside Old Trafford before match vs Valencia)
Peter Barnes (Family friend)
Denis Irwin (Dinner, Old Trafford and Trafford Centre)
Kevin Moran (Dinner)
Gordon Hill (Old Trafford)
Ray Wilkins (Old Trafford)
Gordon Strachan (After Masters Football at MEN Arena)
Lee Martin (Old Trafford)
Danny Wallace (Dinner)
Steve Bruce (Dinner x2)
Paul Parker (Dinner)
Mike Phelan (Dinner)
Lee Sharpe (Book signing at Old Trafford)
Mark Hughes (Dinner)
Gary Pallister(Dinner)
Brian McClair (Sold him some stuff for his house! and after Masters Football at MEN Arena)
Phillip Neville (Dinner and team hotel in Southampton)
Nicky Butt (Dinner- stopped him on way to loo and poor bloke was bursting!)
Andy Cole (Outside Old Trafford after we beat Arsenal 6-1 lol!)
Dwight Yorke (Old Trafford and team hotel in Southampton)
Jesper Blomqvist (Old Trafford)
Massimo Taibi (Old Trafford)
Ronny Johnsen (Dinner)
Mark Bosnich (Team hotel in Southampton)
Raimond Van der Gouw (Dinner, whilst getting text updates on Alaves vs Liverpool, UEFA Cup Final 2001. He wanted Jordi to win who was playing for Alaves at the time! and team hotel in Southampton and outside Old Trafford)
Teddy Sheringham (Dinner)
Jordi Cruyff (Old Trafford)
Henning Berg (Old Trafford)
Andy Goram (Team hotel in Southampton)
Luke Chadwick (Team hotel in Southampton)
Roy Carroll (Dinner)
Kleberson (Dinner)
Tim Howard (Dinner)
David Beckham (Old Trafford and Dinner. He grabbed my arse- true story!)
Quinton Fortune (Trafford Centre)
David May (Old Trafford and and Dinner)
Jaap Stam (Old Trafford)
Seba Veron (Trafford Centre)
Diego Forlan (Trafford Centre)
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Dinner and Manchester Airport- made an arse of myself both times lol!)
Kieran Richardson (Trafford Centre and Manchester Airport)
Roy Keane (Dinner x2)
Alan Smith (Manchester Airport x2, once after Milan)
Guiseppe Rossi (Manchester Airport- was a real sweetie and asked me about my holiday)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Old Trafford)
Edwin Van der Sar (Manchester Airport)
Rio Ferdinand (Dinner and Manchester Airport)
Wes Brown (Dinner x2 and Manchester Airport)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester Airport)
Louis Saha (Trafford Centre)
Wayne Rooney (Manchester Airport)
Ryan Giggs (Dinner x2)
Ji-Sung Park (Manchester Airport)
Paul Scholes (Dinner at Old Trafford)
Gerard Pique (Manchester Airport)
John O'Shea (Dinner and Manchester Airport)
Darren Fletcher (Trafford Centre and Manchester Airport after we lost to Milan)
Mikael Silvestre (Trafford Centre)
"We all agree, K-Stand is better than J-Stand"

mikey
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Miguel

9 years ago

Thats a lot of dinners!

Why did Becks grab your arse?

farmer john

9 years ago

would imagine he does that a lot- nowt real at home so to speak ;)

or as confucius say- man like touching silicone better off being bloody plumber

great post about eric btw(Y)

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Joanne

9 years ago

@Kim: Are you sure you didn't miss anyone off? :P I thought I'd got a fair amount players on my list but it's nothing compared to you. Mine are mostly autograph meetings so I haven't listed them as I didn't have 'words' with them, as such! ;)
1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

K-Stand Red
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Kim

9 years ago

Thats a lot of dinners!

Why did Becks grab your arse?
Lol, well some of the dinners I met a few of them at so it's not like 1 player per dinner lol!
I was having my photo taken with Beckham and moved his hand down a bit lower than my back lol. Maybe he'd forgotten what actual flesh felt like :twisted:
"We all agree, K-Stand is better than J-Stand"

mandyb
New Signing
New Signing
Call Me: Mandy

9 years ago

ha ha kim you lucky thing!

mikey- amazing post, great story
Martin Rogers Worst Nightmare

reddevil_kim
New Signing
New Signing
Call Me: kim

9 years ago

awww kim you lucky thing well i have met

gary neville
pique
and most of the reserve players
I'm Back!........

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

Back in the late 90's I worked at a classical horse stud and german shepherd kennels close to boothstown which is just past worsley.I worked on the dog side of things and a couple of girls worked with the horses.Although I never rode horses myself I often used to tag along,with a dog on a lead,just to be around as the horses were stallions and liable to go nuts at any given opportunity.Also sorry for being un PC but it was also a good chance for a good old fashioned perv.Anyway this one day I went out with one of the girls called Kate and she was riding a fine andalucian stallion called tanaj,we decided to take a short cut through the housing estate in boothstown,it was a very ordinary housing estate 3 bedroom semi detached kind of estate.Eric Cantona came striding up a driveway and started waxing lyrical about the orse,he knew what breed it was and everything he was firing all kinds of questions at kate,I was gob smacked to tell you the truth,Eric was my absolute hero at that time,if i would of spoke I would have said something really daft,I think I let out a mmmm when he stroked the dog and said nice dog.I looked at Erics feet and he was wearing slippers.Tanaj decided that now was the time to have the mother of all turds,right in front of le'king.Eric told us to wait there and buggered back down his driveway only to re-emerge with a bucket and a shovel,he wanted the horse shit for his garden.I remember a lad,must of been his son booting an old casey in the front garden,from where Eric came from he must have been having a kick a bout with his lad.Was one of the most surreal moments of my life.I just couldnt belive that someone like Eric would live in such an ordinary house on such an ordinary street,in an ordinary town like Boothstown.It makes it harder to belive nowadays with footballers buying entire hamlets and building 18 bedroom mansions or the cheshire set with their purpose built pads in prestbury.

Oh and that girl Kate on the horse,i married her.

Thought i'd give this thread a bump with Ashwin meeting Robbo and Sia's dalliances with United legends in the States. Not forgetting Ray, who i'm sure will be able to write a similar word count to war and peace on the amount of players that he's met.

Come on then, tell us 'yer tales :)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

My dad is friends with Gary Pallister. I've met Pallister and Bryan Robson a number of times.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Glorio
International Player
International Player

2 years ago

Andy Cole at a petrol station on the express way. Didn't say anything to him though. I and a group of friends were going up to Fort Williams
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

2 years ago

I met Bryan Robson back in February this year. I'd first heard about the possibility after our defeat against Chelsea when I was at the MUFChicago pub watching the game. Initially thought it's simply a trophy tour and that we aren't going to get anywhere near the trophy or Robbo! But I am good friends with the Digital Media Director of Manchester United USA Supporters Association. He told me we'll all be meeting the great man and everyone gets a photo with him. I was thrilled. Arrived at the location about two hours early that day, with there also being a dinner in the evening for certain invited people at one of the premier hotels in Chicago. I wasn't invited for that but my friend said I could hop on. I told Ray that I'm about to meet Robbo. He told me to mention his name and it'll help. You know what? It helped a lot because I got to speak with him for like 5 minutes before getting a snapshot with him, when maximum others got were probably just two minutes (Thanks Ray!). Told Robbo as to how glad I was that he overcame cancer (because I lost my cousin brother to cancer back in 2006. He was only two years older to me).

That was all about the trophy tour. Then came the dinner in the evening. I remembered I'd forgotten to get his autograph. All I had with me at the time was Fergie's autobiography, so I didn't care, I asked Robbo if he'd sign it for me. He gladly did it. Spoke with him for a good few mins after that about United, Moyes and potential summer signings if we don't finish in Europe. I remember he'd mentioned it to someone else there that if we don't get past Olympiakos, Moyes would probably be sacked. I didn't go far into it as I mostly asked him if he felt Moyes could turn things around (I was such an optimist lol). Spoke about his United days and asked him about his best game for us (Barcelona in 1984, no surprises there). Told him how I have that entire game in my computer and how I've watched it like 5 times. He couldn't believe it!

Overall, it was such a surreal experience. I couldn't thank my friend from the United supporter's association and Ray both enough for their help. You could feel the aura just standing next to him. It was just unbelievable. Will never forget that day ever.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

Great post Ashwin (Y)

treble99
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain
Call Me: ray

2 years ago

I once met Gary Bailey at a garage after Wolves had beaten us at Molyneux
We didn't speak but we were eithe side of the same pump
Does that count???

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

I once met Gary Bailey at a garage after Wolves had beaten us at Molyneux
We didn't speak but we were eithe side of the same pump
Does that count???
Youve chosen the one United player ive actually met!
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Dante
Referee
Referee

2 years ago

Oddly, I don't really like meeting famous people. They don't give a shit about me, and they've been asked the same shit a million times by people. It's just akward for everyone involved.

If it happens naturally, that a different matter though.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Da-Man-Ivan

2 years ago

Oddly, I don't really like meeting famous people. They don't give a shit about me, and they've been asked the same shit a million times by people. It's just awkward for everyone involved.

If it happens naturally, that a different matter though.
Agreed.
To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Carlitos Tevez
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Raphael

2 years ago

Park Ji Sung and Denis Law.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

2 years ago

van de Sar at Telekom Malaysia, KL - Trophy Tour. :)
great memories and able to sign my United jersey with VDS.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

2 years ago

I bumped into Shinji Kagawa once whilst in Bremen, he was still a Dortmund player then and I literally bumped into him.

Dortmund were playing Bremen the weekend my missus and I were visiting, we'd arrived in the city just hours before and were walking along with our heads stuck in a map. There was a coach ahead with a crowd bustling around it and we sort of meandered in through the crowd, still paying attention only to our map.

The coach or course was the Dortmund team bus and the crowd was a line of photographers and press-men with the first team filing past. My missus and I inadvertently crossed right through the parade of players and I looked up from the map just at the moment I bumped straight into Shinji Kagawa! I apologised and he was laughing. I remember thinking how small he looked.

We signed him six months later.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Return to “United Legends & History”