Next Match: Image
Leicester City in the Premier League.
Saturday 26th August 2017, KO 17:30 BST.

Personal feelings aside who has been the better keeper for United

The Great Dane
43%
Edwin
29%
Our Dave
29%

Total votes: 7
Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

Peter Schmichel Vs VDS Vs DeGea

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 pm

I have a lot to say on this debate and I'll be doing a long winded post tomorrow.

100% Top Red

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Re: Peter Schmichel Vs VDS Vs DeGea

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

I didn't watch United on as regular a basis when Schmeicel played, but IMO Edwin is the best GK of the past 30 years. Not only was he great in net, but at times he was like an eleventh outfield player with the way he was able to turn a save into an attacking move in the blink of an eye. When we were playing brilliant counter attacking football in Ronaldo's prime VDS was a key component in that.
"Make America Great Again!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 am

Personally I prefer Schmichel. Lovehis passion and the way he dominate strikers,especially during.1on1.However, I think VDS is a more complete keeper.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 pm

To me DDG can become the best GK in the history of football. His reaction from close range shoots and long range shots are the best i have ever seen. He worked on his areal issue and the only thing mssing from him being almost perfect is long range passing that turns fast into counter attack. VDS and Schmeichel are legends but DDG is imo better. It looks like Real dropped their interest in him and if that's the case we have the best GK in the world.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm

I think VDS and DeGea are very similar keepers in that they both save(d) many goals by knowing what the opposition was going to do even before the opposition does. Both have excellent instinct and reaction for the deflected or close range shot and both have great footwork and passing ability. Between the two I would give the edge to VDS only because of his longevity.

A great as both are I would probably give the nod to Schmichel for no other reason than his presence in goal, he almost dared the opposition to try and intimidate him and none could. He made every defender he played with better and every attacker look like a stumbling fool.

In all fairness I think that De Gea hasn’t had the best defenders in front of him while at United, if he had Rio and Vidic in their prime (instead of Smalling and Jones) they might never have let in a goal.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 am

Schmeichel was the best keeper i have ever seen. He had a clanger him in but his ceiling was the best there ever was

VDS is easily the most reliable, he made one mistake in his time here and with the ball t his feet hes the best gk i have seen in that respect. He also won us a CL final, one of my favourite all time United players.

De Gea will end up better than both, and hes already at Shmeichels level. Theres no stopping just how great he is going to be, and iMO he is well ahead of Nueur right now. Theres no way Nueur would have recovered from the abuse De Gea copped and playing in that awful side De Gea played in the last 3 years.

Its incredible we speak about these 3 great keepers when you look at all those who came inbetween :lol:
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 am

Schmeichel was the best keeper i have ever seen. He had a clanger him in but his ceiling was the best there ever was

VDS is easily the most reliable, he made one mistake in his time here and with the ball t his feet hes the best gk i have seen in that respect. He also won us a CL final, one of my favourite all time United players.

De Gea will end up better than both, and hes already at Shmeichels level. Theres no stopping just how great he is going to be, and iMO he is well ahead of Nueur right now. Theres no way Nueur would have recovered from the abuse De Gea copped and playing in that awful side De Gea played in the last 3 years.

Its incredible we speak about these 3 great keepers when you look at all those who came inbetween
TBf Barthez was ok. My favorite got to be Taibi, the way he slip the ball between his legs was unmatched.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:03 pm

VDS, sure I've had this discussion before, but if there's a quality you want in a GK it's reliability and I can only remember one of his last games where he made a bad mistake.

Another quality you want is a GK is arrogance and Schmeichel had a lot of that.

DDG probably behind both so far, but could eclipse them.

VDS should have been the purchase when he left Ajax, I can actually remember him going to Juve at the time and people saying Utd should have got him but Barthez was in demand then maybe more so. Should have been purchased again when he left Juve. Worked out in the end I suppose.
Make football fabulous again!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Barthez wasn't a bad keeper by any stretch, but he certainly suffered from comparisons to Schmeichel. We should definitely have gone for van Der Sar when he left Ajax rather than Bosnich, but I can see why we didn't make a move when he left Juve, as Barthez looked fairly decent then.

It's difficult to place the three, gun to my head it's Schmeichel, but De Gea could easily surpass both. He's still only 26, which is mad.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Barthez wasn't a bad keeper by any stretch, but he certainly suffered from comparisons to Schmeichel. We should definitely have gone for van Der Sar when he left Ajax rather than Bosnich, but I can see why we didn't make a move when he left Juve, as Barthez looked fairly decent then.

It's difficult to place the three, gun to my head it's Schmeichel, but De Gea could easily surpass both. He's still only 26, which is mad.
Actually SAF did try to sign VDS back then but he went to juventus.

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Max

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Fergie wrote somewhere he had given his instructions to the club about signing VDS in 1999 before going on holidays himself. Afterwards he found out they had signed Bosnich instead.
UNITED > ENGLAND

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Fair play then, the club dropped a bollock there.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 am

Fergie wrote somewhere he had given his instructions to the club about signing VDS in 1999 before going on holidays himself. Afterwards he found out they had signed Bosnich instead.
Like asking for rolls royce but get fiat instead.

Return to “United Legends & History”