Next Match: Image
CSKA Moscow in the Champions League.
Wednesday 27th September 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
MobileNanny
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Joanne

Re: Why you should call us by our correct name.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Mark Moran wrote:
MobileNanny wrote:Welcome to the board, Mark! Thanks for your education of fellow(and foe) supporters.
Some weeks ago I said that I was going to contact someone to see if he could help with the information on how 'the term' came about, but shamefully, I've been busy and haven't gotten around to doing so. :roll:
The term 'Man U' came from the songs that were made up after Munich.

"Man U are ManUre, rotting in their graves" and other such sick shite.

Munich = Man U Never Intended Coming Home

Many people lay the blame for these songs that were made up on Liverpool and Leeds fans, obvious candidates, but on this occasion they were not guilty. It was started by WBA fans after Munich. They were mighty upset Sir Matt had snatched Duncan Edwards from under their noses. He had sent Bert Whalley to drive through the night to Big Dunc's house on his 16 th birthday to sign him up. I must add that some sections of the Liverpool, Leeds and Man City fans will sing these songs even today given the chance. So they are not completely innocent.

Edwards was born in Dudley and the people of the West Midlands thought they had a God given right to keep him there playing for their teams, Sir Matt had other ideas.

Duncan Edwards is still held in very high regard by the people of the West Midlands and by United fans. There is not a day goes by when Edward's grave does not have fresh red and white carnations on it. People don't arrive at his grave in a slow trickle to pay their respects, they arrive by the coachload to spend a few minutes with perhaps the best footballer United ever had.

When Manchester United play in the West Midlands the team coach always stops on Stourbridge Road in Dudley for 2 minutes for the players to pay their respects too.

So there you go, to those who think it's "just a name" or that it's "no big deal" you have no place as a United fan and I wish people like this would just go on their way to the next team they want to follow and leave us to support United.
Thanks for that, Mark. But you misunderstand what I meant. Most on here know where the 'term' came from but there are a couple of doubters around the board who won't accept it. Therefore I said that I would write to someone who could confirm what others have said. But thank you for confirming it anyway. (Y)

1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

Mark Moran
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Mark

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Well, it is most certainly the truth, I can vouch for that, I'm an old git and me Dad told me.

It does actually drive me mad when people have this "Ah well, it's a long time ago and people forget" and stuff like that. It's things like this that make a club what it is. It's the collection of all the funny stories and anecdotes from down the years that I used to listen to my granded tell me when I was a kid. He told me about Billy Meredith and what a bugger he was. I sat and listened to his tales from Old Trafford for hours on end and I used to love it. I've passed these tales on to my kids and so it should continue.

Personally, I think we're fighting a losing battle with the 'Man U' one, but I'll perservere with telling them about it. I think my generation is the last one that really lived with any fall out from Munich.

We were surrounded by people who were regular fans when it happened, they had lost what must have seemed like part of their family, they saw these boys play every week and then, suddenly, they were gone.

It must have been a shock. But now time has re-arranged most peoples memories, the years have gone by and two more generations of United fans have been born.

If I'm really honest, I can understand why they don't make a big deal of it or they seem to not care as much as we would like them to.

I've learned to just accept that as we get older, the memories fade away even more.
[center]"You Can't Win Anything With Kids"
1908 1911 1952 1956 1957 1965 1967 1993 1994 1996 1997 1999 2000 2001 2003 2007 2008 2009
*****1968*****1999*****2008*****
1909 1948 1963 1977 1983 1985 1990 1994 1996 1999 2004[/center]

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Great post mate..

you need to have a quiet word with our friend jcl ;)
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

babysenorita
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Siti

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:55 am

Mark Moran wrote:the memories fade away even more.

Pls dont let that happen..its from people like you that we younger ones like to learn from, not from these who talk like they actually know manchester united way from their mum's tummy but nothing actually... :roll:

kingcantona
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Suvash

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:56 am

babysenorita wrote:
Mark Moran wrote:the memories fade away even more.

Pls dont let that happen..its from people like you that we younger ones like to learn from, not from these who talk like they actually know manchester united way from their mum's tummy but nothing actually... :roll:
What she said! Especially for us united fans who aren't from england and don't have parents/grandparents to tell us the united stories of old. Its ppl like u (and the lawman, whom i miss a lot on this forum, among others) who help us to understand our club. To quench our never ending thirst to learn more about the club we all call our own. All kinds of anecdotes and small stories that you know about united, we'll take it very gladly and pass it on to whoever will listen to us
"I play to fight.....the idea of losing" - Le King Eric Cantona

Mark Moran
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Mark

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Siamak Khaledi wrote:so is MU ok as even the offical TV of the club is called MUTV?
Jesus wept! MU, that's just bordering on the absurd if you ask me. Why don't we just go the whole hog and make a grunting sound and point at what we are referring to, we will have gone full circle then, back to the caveman way of communicating.

People are just too lazy to even talk these days. I get text messages that read:

Hi M. How R U 2day? R we goin out l8r? Txt bk.

What in the name of all that is holy is that shite all about? We have lost countless customs through the decades and traditions are falling by the wayside....slowly but surely. What I am saying is, as human beings we owe it to ourselves to at least try and preserve our bloody language FFS.

Whoever invented that text talk bollocks should be nailed to a wall and they should then be pelted with Alphabet Spaghetti making sure to use just the T, W, A and another T.

I'm not well educated, I don't mind admitting it. It was beyond my control the circumstances that affected my life, outside factors made me what I am, who I am or whatever. But the one thing I did cling to for dear life was the correct use of our language. If you speak well and write well in your own language people just assume you're educated, and that was all I had.

It got me my house, my kids never go without and it paid for my dream car, which was almost as much as the house but that's another story.

The moral to the story here is 'cling to the fact you can speak good English and make the most of it'.

Without checking back on my own posts on these forums, I would hazard a guess that I have written 'Manchester United' out in full when I refer to them. If not, I have written 'United'. I might be wrong, I'm guessing, I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.

This phrase 'Man U' is frowned upon as we all know. But for your own sakes and not for the sakes of others, write 'Manchester United'. Not Man Utd, not Man United or any other shite. MANCHESTER UNITED !!! See, I did it again and it is painless, trust me. It's their name and there is no need to change it. Laziness makes us change things, to make them shorter. People will, and do, think better of you when you write and speak properly and it can make a difference to your life if people think well of you.
[center]"You Can't Win Anything With Kids"
1908 1911 1952 1956 1957 1965 1967 1993 1994 1996 1997 1999 2000 2001 2003 2007 2008 2009
*****1968*****1999*****2008*****
1909 1948 1963 1977 1983 1985 1990 1994 1996 1999 2004[/center]

yusongo
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Anthony

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:37 am

Although the term man * is used across Australian sports journalism, I sent an email to SBS comments and feedback (SBS is like a free to air show for migrants) and they replied :shock: They said that they'd forward my feedback on to Sport. Yes, it is a long shot that they'd stop using it and I don't fancy my chances but to be honest I never expected a response.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 am

If you give me the adress you sent it to, ill do it aswell
Theyre more likely to respond to more than one message
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

yusongo
Junior Player
Junior Player
Call Me: Anthony

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:37 am

We can either mail them or email them, but for a few of the stations I couldn't find a decent email address.

Channel 10 is a bit wierd. There's a feedback form to complete and fax/write to them,

Code: Select all

http://ten.com.au/media/0610_COMPLAINT_FORM_(website)_1.doc
They've even got directions about how to fill it out,

http://ten.com.au/contact-us.htm
But to be honest it doesn't seem like the best way to go about it with them.
These are the addresses for Channel 10,

Channel 10 Melbourne
Como Centre Level 4/ 620 Chapel St
South Yarra, VIC 3141
Private Bag 5000, South Yarra, VIC 3141

Channel 10 Brisbane
Sir Samuel Griffith Dr
Mt Coot-tha, QLD 4066
GPO BOX 751, Brisbane, QLD 4001

SBS
Email:

comments@sbs.com.au
Mail: Locked Bag 028, Crows Nest NSW 1585

ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/contact/contactabc.htm
To mail the ABC,

ABC Ultimo Centre
700 Harris Street
Ultimo NSW 2007;
GPO Box 9994
Sydney NSW 2001
Director: Kate Torney

Channel 9
NSW Viewers: PO Box 27 Willoughby, NSW 2068
Vic Viewers: PO Box 100 Richmond, Vic 3121
QLD Viewers: PO Box 72 Brisbane, QLD 4001

http://help.ninemsn.com.au/support/channel9.asp
Channel 7
For Melbourne viewers: GPO Box 4477 Melbourne Victoria 3001 Australia.
For Brisbane viewers: GPO Box 604 Mount Coot-Tha Queensland 4001 Australia.
There's an online contact form,

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php?id=638
I couldn't find other emails! It's hard to track things on their websites, even something as simple as an email contact address.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:11 pm

But does Channel 7 9 and 10 matter? They dont show any football, only the news but nothing else really. SBS is the one that matters, they have sunday filled with football and all CL matches

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Just emailed SBS

decorativeed
Reserve
Reserve
Call Me: Tim

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Here's an interesting image of a C1957 badge (follow this link): http://www.flickr.com/photos/manchester ... 337779831/

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:27 am

what was that badge for?

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53 pm

I've seen a picture on me mates facebook account of the Stretford end in the 70's with loads of banners and flags and scarves.One of the banners says 'MAN U THE RELIGION' and it's slap bang right in the middle of the crowd.I've tried to post it on here but it's saying something about dimensions.I'll keep on trying.

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Think i've seen that before aswell.
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Robbo7
Junior Player
Junior Player

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Yes, if you talk to any old time Reds they will tell you its been used for ages. It only became a dirty term because of the cunty songs. But many old time proper Reds still say it.
http://rlisu.wordpress.com/

LUHG

decorativeed
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

Me and Joanne noticed a fair few things in the club museum from all different eras featuring the dreaded "Man *". I think some of what is said is revisionist. It is surely more popular than ever (and thus more irritating), but it was used without any connotations at all other than brevity by fans before the disaster at Munich.

Obviously, It gets on my tits hearing people say "I support Man *", but I don't think is's anything to get too upset about except in the same way that I get about people using text language in their writing, etc. It shows lazyness and a basic lack of respect, but it doesn't bother me any more than that anymore, to be honest.

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:13 am

decorativeed wrote:Me and Joanne noticed a fair few things in the club museum from all different eras featuring the dreaded "Man *". I think some of what is said is revisionist. It is surely more popular than ever (and thus more irritating), but it was used without any connotations at all other than brevity by fans before the disaster at Munich.

Obviously, It gets on my tits hearing people say "I support Man *", but I don't think is's anything to get too upset about except in the same way that I get about people using text language in their writing, etc. It shows lazyness and a basic lack of respect, but it doesn't bother me any more than that anymore, to be honest.

In the same respect,if someone says they support Man * I think 'You're a birth canal'.

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm

inside the UK maybe, but outside UK its just a lack of knowledge

Joe Gooner
Trainee
Trainee

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Sadly, plastic supporters tend to call the club Man U, as many of them chose United based on the brand name and little else. I always point that out to any of your myriad of plastic supporters whenever they have a go at Arsenal, it embarrasses them no end.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:46 am

Joe, Arsenal aren't really a club that's only followed hardcore supporters either. Every successful club has it's plastics.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

decorativeed
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Joe Gooner wrote:Sadly, plastic supporters tend to call the club Man U, as many of them chose United based on the brand name and little else. I always point that out to any of your myriad of plastic supporters whenever they have a go at Arsenal, it embarrasses them no end.
They support us because of our "brand name"? Never heard such a load of rubbish in my life. Our plastics support us because of our success and great players - much the same reasons that your plastics used to support you lot five of six years ago.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:45 am

decorativeed wrote:
Joe Gooner wrote:Sadly, plastic supporters tend to call the club Man U, as many of them chose United based on the brand name and little else. I always point that out to any of your myriad of plastic supporters whenever they have a go at Arsenal, it embarrasses them no end.
They support us because of our "brand name"? Never heard such a load of rubbish in my life. Our plastics support us because of our success and great players - much the same reasons that your plastics used to support you lot five of six years ago.
The brand name is a result of success. He's right, Man United is a brand, a well known one, and it sells.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

decorativeed
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:14 pm

But you are putting the cart before the horse - no success = no "Brand name".

TheMUFCWay
New Signing
New Signing
Call Me: Gopal

It's United! Not Man "U"!

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Friends.... Now this post as titlle suggests is related to Football & Only Football....More So to MANCHESTER UNITED!

I write this note on a very sensitive issue that has been bothering.... (no bothering is too soft a word to describe what it's been doing to me)..... yeah, it's actually traumatizing me! And what worries me most is that this issue is not just an issue, it has become a TREND........rather a very very Disturbing Trend!
People referring to Manchester United as "Man U".

What is more worrisome is that it's most of the United fans themselves who are following this trend! I understand that 90% of living people do not know that "Man U" is one of the most offensive and disrespectful nicknames ever given to a club, let alone Manchester United!WHY?? Let me tell you exactly why...

The origin of the term "Man U" is a song to insult the deceased Duncan Edwards who died in the Munich Air Tragedy alongwith 22 others (If You Don't even know who he is or what Munich Air Tragedy is all about, u shall proceed no more)!

Now, An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is 'manure', rotting in his grave, man you are 'manure'- rotting in your grave". The origin of term "Man U" is this very song to insult the Late Duncan Edwards!
The Leeds fans created their own version of the song to insult all the men that died in the Munich air disaster of 1958.
The song went something like this:

"Man U, Man U, went on a plane! Man U, Man U, never came back again!"

"Man U, Never Intended Coming Home
!" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "MUNICH"!)

If that doesn't get your blood boiling, nothing on this earth will. I am not angry at anyone who has used this term, as it is not common knowledge. Just know that it is used to offend not only Manchester United, but the memory of the Munich air disaster.
I hope that makes it a bit clearer that saying "Man U" is a mortal insult, particularly to the older supporters.

After all, there is also a chant about our no. 1 rivals Liverpool and the Hillsbrough tragedy but we never sing it because we have respect for the dead!!!

It's really painful to see so called United supporters commonly using this term!

Appropriate names are as follows: Manchester United, Man United, United, Red Devils.

That is why we chant, "There's only one United!"

If you take one thing from this note, it is that you will never use the term "Man U" again. Also, if you see that term flying around, you correct the uninformed user! GGMU!

Return to “United Legends & History”