Manchester City in the Premier League.
Thursday 27th April 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Re: It's United! Not Man "U"!

4 years ago

http://www.unitedlounge.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=8&t=268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Super Tramp
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: A. Cab

4 years ago

Hi Friends.... Now this post as titlle suggests is related to Football & Only Football....More So to MANCHESTER UNITED!

I write this note on a very sensitive issue that has been bothering.... (no bothering is too soft a word to describe what it's been doing to me)..... yeah, it's actually traumatizing me! And what worries me most is that this issue is not just an issue, it has become a TREND........rather a very very Disturbing Trend!
People referring to Manchester United as "Man U".

What is more worrisome is that it's most of the United fans themselves who are following this trend! I understand that 90% of living people do not know that "Man U" is one of the most offensive and disrespectful nicknames ever given to a club, let alone Manchester United!WHY?? Let me tell you exactly why...

The origin of the term "Man U" is a song to insult the deceased Duncan Edwards who died in the Munich Air Tragedy alongwith 22 others (If You Don't even know who he is or what Munich Air Tragedy is all about, u shall proceed no more)!

Now, An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is 'manure', rotting in his grave, man you are 'manure'- rotting in your grave". The origin of term "Man U" is this very song to insult the Late Duncan Edwards!
The Leeds fans created their own version of the song to insult all the men that died in the Munich air disaster of 1958.
The song went something like this:

"Man U, Man U, went on a plane! Man U, Man U, never came back again!"

"Man U, Never Intended Coming Home
!" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "MUNICH"!)

If that doesn't get your blood boiling, nothing on this earth will. I am not angry at anyone who has used this term, as it is not common knowledge. Just know that it is used to offend not only Manchester United, but the memory of the Munich air disaster.
I hope that makes it a bit clearer that saying "Man U" is a mortal insult, particularly to the older supporters.

After all, there is also a chant about our no. 1 rivals Liverpool and the Hillsbrough tragedy but we never sing it because we have respect for the dead!!!

It's really painful to see so called United supporters commonly using this term!

Appropriate names are as follows: Manchester United, Man United, United, Red Devils.

That is why we chant, "There's only one United!"

If you take one thing from this note, it is that you will never use the term "Man U" again. Also, if you see that term flying around, you correct the uninformed user! GGMU!

Lad, i wrote that article for Goal.com
[center]By all evidence we are in the world to do nothing.

-- Emile M. Cioran
[/center]

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

4 years ago

:roll:
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Super Tramp
Trainee
Trainee
Call Me: A. Cab

4 years ago

Mods, do your job :P
[center]By all evidence we are in the world to do nothing.

-- Emile M. Cioran
[/center]

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Re: Why you should call us by our correct name.

4 years ago

well look who's back :P
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Joe Gooner
Trainee
Trainee

4 years ago

Hmmmm. Now I like taking the mickbut mocking the Munich disaster is disgraceful.

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

4 years ago

Hmmmm. Now I like taking the mickbut mocking the Munich disaster is disgraceful.
mocking any tragedy or disaster is disgraceful joe

Jack~Rouse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Call Me: Jack

4 years ago

A very interesting read.

What surprises me is that whilst Munich was a very tragic "accident", the word disaster is way too strong and sparks of media hype, I find it difficult to believe that those who were not even born at the time can sense a feel of loss from those that perished, I personally never knew any of those, or indeed any of the survivors, so why would their loss upset me ?

The Man Yoo (U) thing is some thing else, and I would imagine it being a fairly recent thing, ( recent at my age is the last twenty years or so), the club itself and players going back to the sixties and seventies often referred to the club as Man Yoo(U), and were never chastised over it, there have been more recent instances of Rio referring to the club by the same name, without any recourse.

Another point is that there is actually no documented evidence on film or sound of those chants mentioned ever being sung by any opposing fans, and could be one of the so called internet myths, from my time on the terraces and watching MOTD on a Saturday night, I cannot recall hearing it coming from the Leeds fans. The most recent happenings have been Liverpool fans singing the Dambusters tune, and acting like a seagull for some reason.

If you let things like this upset you, then I have to feel pity for you, there are far worse things to worry about in the real world.
[center]I'm here because I want to be... not because I have to be[/center]
[center]"If you are a man, and your mind isn't on sex or football, you are not a man"[/center]
[center]Farewell Fergie, thanks for a fantastic 26 years[/center]
[center]Sell Carrick, Buy Strootman [/center]

Return to “United Legends & History”