Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: Why you should call us by our correct name.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:54 am

Michael, You have said that the rally against the term is being made by young people. Yet the authors of the post linked in the OP were watching United in the 50's and 60's.

Also, West Brom and Birmingham were some of the top sides in the 50's and 60's.

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 am

Dante wrote:Michael, You have said that the rally against the term is being made by young people. Yet the authors of the post linked in the OP were watching United in the 50's and 60's.

Also, West Brom and Birmingham were some of the top sides in the 50's and 60's.
majority are just kids from asia etc saying utter shite

even if they were big clubs. they are still no marks. hardly our rivals are they.

if people think calling us man u is some hurtful insult they need thier heads wobbling

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Joanne

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 am

Right, after staying quiet for a while on this, I'm going to have my say.
Michael: The writers of the article refering to the use of 'Man U' were around in the 50's and 60's, at the time that it was meant to have first been heard. So perhaps some mind should be held to this. I wasn't around at that time but since first supporting United in the 1980's I have been aware that this isn't a term that United supporters should use. I didn't know why but it was always there. Then a few years ago, there was a poster as part of the United magazine that had 100 reasons to prove that you're a die-hard United fan. One of these reasons was that you never refer to the club as 'Man U'. It didn't explain why but it cemented the fact that there must be a reason to it.
What I'm very tempted to do is write to someone who I know will have a direct answer to this. Whether I would get a response or not, who knows. But if it would clear this up once and for all, then I'm willing to give it a try.
1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm

i never refer to us as man u, i just dont like the saying

but it sounds so geeky saying oh dont call us man u etc and a poster saying 100 reasons to prove your a die hard fan. give me a break will ya

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player

Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 pm

jcl1999 wrote:i never refer to us as man u, i just dont like the saying

but it sounds so geeky saying oh dont call us man u etc and a poster saying 100 reasons to prove your a die hard fan. give me a break will ya

I also thought it was cheesy but I'm just pointing out that something that came out of the "official" United magazine used this as a point of information.

farmer john

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 pm

jcl1999 wrote:
farmer john wrote:tell that to the baggies,brum or stoke fans

idiot (N)

oh please have a fornicate word will you

liverpool fans at heysel

massive banner saying lfc celebrate munich 58

banner up the other season "always look on the runway for ice"

inflatable areoplanes etc

leeds fans etc the countless moronic areoplane gestures we get up and down the country... yawnnn

brum baggies and stoke them very small clubs who we dont give 2 shits about calling us manure isnt an insult is it you prick

iv been called a munich so and so loads of times after games. when some no mark calls us manure or man u on a internet forum or on tv do you think i cry about it ?

no nothing about the history, jesus christ. im not having a load of foreigners telling me about "man u" being a really bad word. christ we have more to worry about that
you really have to be one of the most stupid persons i have ever read on the internet (Y)
you just dont get what its about do you?

has nowt to do with what you gloryhunting little wankers are doing now

it has to do with the past :shock: obviously no interest to you although you spend your time bathing in its glory

get another hobby

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:37 pm

hahahaha class

well you can lecture us all this saturday at the game ? failing that you can come to turkey with us and tell us of all the naughty insults they use

dont make me cry :(

farmer john

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:45 pm

jcl1999 wrote:hahahaha class

well you can lecture us all this saturday at the game ? failing that you can come to turkey with us and tell us of all the naughty insults they use

how many of you are there?

you speak for all do you?

fantasist :lol: homeboy

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 pm

farmer john wrote:
jcl1999 wrote:hahahaha class

how many of you are there?

you speak for all do you?

fantasist :lol: homeboy
you can tell me and my mates how man u is an insult. i know lads in thier 50's who when asked about this said it was a load of shite

come on fella spread the news to the masses of asian man united loyal die hards

man u is a naughty word and its weallyyy mean :(

farmer john

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:14 pm

well i know lads in their 70,s and 80,s who were there - they battered the brummies

no one in their 50,s would of been unless in a pram

and "you and your mates"? are those the same wankers who got outsang at ot by the brummies last home game? :roll:

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:07 pm

farmer john wrote:well i know lads in their 70,s and 80,s who were there - they battered the brummies

and "you and your mates"? are those the same wankers who got outsang at ot by the brummies last home game? :roll:

10 lads singing around us

loads of japs staring at us

woahhhh look at man u fan sing !

your starting to bore me now

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:11 pm

I think we've established what each of you think about this subject. Can you now just let it drop please?

farmer john

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:51 pm

jcl1999 wrote:
farmer john wrote:well i know lads in their 70,s and 80,s who were there - they battered the brummies

10 lads singing around us

loads of japs staring at us

woahhhh look at man u fan sing !

your starting to bore me now

so you only have 10 mates (Y)

what a mass consensus of opinion :lol:

no wonder you are so in the dark

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 pm

what the fornicate are you on you birth canal

10 lads singing aint gona make a difference atmosphere wise.

when asked on red issue who have 3 to 4 thousand users online at a time about the man u thing. nobody said it was an insult

this mickey mouse place has about 5 people online at a time. stupid, anyway do you wana meet and say all this to my face ?

Aragorn

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm

jcl1999 wrote:what the fornicate are you on you birth canal

10 lads singing aint gona make a difference atmosphere wise.

when asked on red issue who have 3 to 4 thousand users online at a time about the man u thing. nobody said it was an insult

this mickey mouse place has about 5 people online at a time. stupid, anyway do you wana meet and say all this to my face ?
Can I come too ?

I'll take the other five of ya, even things up a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aragorn

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:52 pm

Point is JCL it's uneducated fans like you who puport to support the club but know little or nothing of it's history, and yes I refer to those muppets on Red whatever too, who just can't grasp the feeling that was poured out when that plane crashed,players then were ordinary men, they lived next door to the fans, losing them was like losing a son or father, but in todays overpriced, overpaid footballing world, why should we oldies expect a young upstart like you to respect our views.

And if this board is soo bad why do you keep coming here,is it because your rhetoric isn't tolerated elsewhere :whistle:

jcl1999
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 pm

well you talk utter shite. saying i dont know anything about the club. i know lads who have been following united since the 60's who said they were un aware of man u being an insult etc

and why do we get geeky kids from asia saying to lads who follow united home and away with passion and fight. "dont call us man u" ffs

what gives them the right to say anything. if it wasnt for sky tv they wouldnt know united exist

Aragorn

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:13 pm

jcl1999 wrote:well you talk utter shite. saying i dont know anything about the club. i know lads who have been following united since the 60's who said they were un aware of man u being an insult etc

and why do we get geeky kids from asia saying to lads who follow united home and away with passion and fight. "dont call us man u" ffs

what gives them the right to say anything. if it wasnt for sky tv they wouldnt know united exist
All that proves is that the geeky kids from Asia, are not as ignorant as you and the lads you know, and that they have bothered to listen to people like me and John, whereas you prefer to dish out insults and tell us we are lying, not the best way to become informed is it ?

Maybe if you bothered, Like I and John did, to sit down and talk to us oldies you would learn more, oh I fogot we lived through it so we obviously know nothing about it.

You know years ago people like you thought the world was flat.

Robbo7
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:45 pm

I have heard pre-Munich United supporters use Man U. Before then it was not an insult.
And some still do it to this day.

But what jcl and a lot of other muppets fail to realize that it was used as an insult afterwards, and is still to this day.
Its the same with other words. I may not find the word nigger insulting. Hell I am just some white boy who likes calling people controversial names. But I do realize that people do find it insulting, and so not being a complete and utter muppet, I do not use that word.

Simple really, if some find it insulting, and they show good reason, as I believe they have, then shut the fornicate up about it and don't be such a prat.
http://rlisu.wordpress.com/

LUHG

Aragorn

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 pm

Robbo7 wrote:I have heard pre-Munich United supporters use Man U. Before then it was not an insult.
And some still do it to this day.

But what jcl and a lot of other muppets fail to realize that it was used as an insult afterwards, and is still to this day.
Its the same with other words. I may not find the word nigger insulting. Hell I am just some white boy who likes calling people controversial names. But I do realize that people do find it insulting, and so not being a complete and utter muppet, I do not use that word.

Simple really, if some find it insulting, and they show good reason, as I believe they have, then shut the fornicate up about it and don't be such a prat.
Well put Rob, to carry on using it in a place when you have been asked not to is an insult in itself

Robbo7
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 pm

A good example I think would be the word c-u-n-t. In England its not that bad of an insult, and half the time used as a term of endearment.
In America its one of the worst things you could say to a person.

So I use it here, and talking to people who know about it, I even use it on a Yank footie forum, cause most are clued up and get it.
But I would not use it anywhere else, nor would I tell them to get fornicate over it.

LUHG

Aragorn

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Robbo7 wrote:A good example I think would be the word c-u-n-t. In England its not that bad of an insult, and half the time used as a term of endearment.
In America its one of the worst things you could say to a person.

So I use it here, and talking to people who know about it, I even use it on a Yank footie forum, cause most are clued up and get it.
But I would not use it anywhere else, nor would I tell them to get fornicate over it.
You must be one of the few "yanks" who understands why a Brit can tell his best mate to F *** off , and his best mate isn't offended then?

Robbo7
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm

Aragorn wrote:
You must be one of the few "yanks" who understands why a Brit can tell his best mate to F *** off , and his best mate isn't offended then?
fornicate off.

A lot of us when immersing ourselves into a football culture pick up on most other things.
Mind you hardly any of the people I talk football with watches nascar, but most are clued up, there are a lot of many birth canals, f-u-c-k offs, t-w-a-t-s thrown about.
And the best thing hardly any of it is posing. Just people learning about something, accepting it for what it is, and in time, doing it themselves. When in Rome has a lot of truth to it.

LUHG

Aragorn

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 pm

Robbo7 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
fornicate off.

A lot of us when immersing ourselves into a football culture pick up on most other things.
Mind you hardly any of the people I talk football with watches nascar, but most are clued up, there are a lot of many birth canals, f-u-c-k offs, t-w-a-t-s thrown about.
And the best thing hardly any of it is posing. Just people learning about something, accepting it for what it is, and in time, doing it themselves. When in Rome has a lot of truth to it.
Thats the point it's respecting the culture, and the culture of this board is that one expression is an insult to us, why oh why do people have to amke such an issue and not respect it ?

Robbo7
Junior Player
Junior Player

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Well I am guessing its jcl's nature.
If he isn't arguing or moaning then he isn't posting.

Part, a large part it appears, of his mission on UL is to show all of us how clueless we are and how much this board is shit and not a true reflection of United's support, while he of course, is clued up and an uber red, unlike you old fogies who used to run with the Red Army.
He also knows more about the old United cause he reads Red Issue, and repeats everything he got on there.

The funniest bit is that he, and a few like him, would call me a plastic glory hunter, while Reds who have followed for decades, see me and the influx of fans as a good thing. Go figure. But the day I let some kids who wasn't even alive when I started following United get to me is the day I slash my wrists.

LUHG

Return to “United Legends & History”