Honours with United

1994 F.A. Cup
1994 F.A. Premier League
1993 F.A. Premier League
1992 League Cup
1991 European Cup Winners Cup
1990 F.A. Cup
1985 F.A. Cup

Mark Hughes must go down as one of the most exciting and talented forwards in the modern era of English football. A scorer of some truly spectacular goals, especially with his glorious bicycle kick, "Sparky" Hughes was the sort of player that ensured a game was never dull. One of his great talents was holding the ball up while waiting for his team mates to arrive as the oncoming reinforcements. In fact such was his strength and power it seemed he could hold onto that ball forever and his opponents still wouldn't get it off him.

This enabled United to create the fast-flowing counter attack that characterised the team in the early to mid 1990s. Chuck the ball at him and it would stick to his chest, head, thigh or arse. He loved the way that opponents would just bounce off him and if they got in to close he could turn quickly, leaving them for dead to fire in a lethal shot. He was also a great passer with an ability to drop off deep and act as a playmaker. And who could forget that fiery Welsh temper that would sometimes emerge in the heat of battle.

Born in Wrexham, he joined United as a Youth team player and quickly rose to the first team as a prolific goal-scorer in United's infamous 1984 season. The club roared off to a ten point lead at the start of the season but form deserted the team and Hughes with United finishing a disappointing 4th. Hughes' talents now made him one of the hottest talents in England. After winning an FA Cup medal in 1985 and PFA Young Player of the Year award he attracted the attention of Europe's big clubs.
He was sold to Barcelona in 1986 for £2 million, however the intense pressure of the giant Nou-Camp crowds and huge expectations made for unhappy times - Hughes would get his revenge on Barca's fans in 1991. He even went out on loan to Bayern Munich for a time but it was clear his future lay back in England.

Alex Ferguson was first in the queue when Barca put Hughes up for sale and brought him back to United in 1988 for £1.6 million. It was business as usual as Hughes returned to his best form again. His excellent form meant he won PFA Player of the Year in both 1989 and 1991. Hughes soon became an established International for Wales playing over 65 times. (After a year as their team captain, in 1999 he took over from Bobby Gould as Welsh Manager)

However, it was his wondrous goals that fans loved the most. They are too many to list, but his best include the amazing bicycle kick for Wales against Spain, a superb narrow-angled winner in the Cup Winners' Cup Final against Barcelona, the looping volley lashed home against Manchester City in 1989, a belter at home to Sheffield Wednesday in 1994 and the volley to equalise against Oldham in the desperate last seconds of the 1994 FA Cup semi-final, the goal that saved United's 1994 season during the peak of his career. Hughes also scored twice in the 1990 FA Cup Final and the 3rd goal against Chelsea in the 1994 Final.

In the mid and late 1980s when Manchester United were at a low ebb, Sparky was something to be proud of, a class act that any great team would love to have. When the glory years of Cantona arrived, Hughes deservedly got his starring role in the limelight and was an integral part of the two League title wins and Double of 1994. It was claimed on Cantona's arrival that the two would never work together, yet the Hughes-Cantona partnership worked brilliantly from the start.

Then, aged 32 Alex Ferguson unexpectedly sold him in the summer of 1995 to Chelsea, where he went on to win the FA Cup and become the only player to ever win four FA Cup winner's medals. At the time United fans were as angry with the manager as perhaps they have ever been, for selling the man who had been an Old Trafford icon for over a decade.

Seeing Mark Hughes in the blue of Chelsea and Everton or stripes of Southampton has never seemed quite right. While he has gone on to carve out a successful managerial career with Wales and Blackburn, he will always be remembered marauding through defences in the red of his beloved Manchester United. As Alex Ferguson once said, "A warrior you could trust with your life".

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Mark Hughes

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 am

BrianSmith wrote:Full Name Leslie Mark Hughes
Date of Birth 1st Nov 1963
Place of Birth Wrexham, Wales
Position Forward
Height 5ft 9
United debut 30/11/1983
vs Oxford (A)
Hughes's United Record
1983-86 & 1988-95

Appearances Goals
League 336 (9) 120
FA Cup 45 (1) 18
League Cup 37 (1) 16
Europe 30 (3) 9
Other games 5 1
Total 453 (14) 164

Hughes's International Record
1983-2000

72 Caps for Wales - 16 Goals

Honours with United

1994 F.A. Cup
1994 F.A. Premier League
1993 F.A. Premier League
1992 League Cup
1991 European Cup Winners Cup
1990 F.A. Cup
1985 F.A. Cup

Mark Hughes must go down as one of the most exciting and talented forwards in the modern era of English football. A scorer of some truly spectacular goals, especially with his glorious bicycle kick, "Sparky" Hughes was the sort of player that ensured a game was never dull. One of his great talents was holding the ball up while waiting for his team mates to arrive as the oncoming reinforcements. In fact such was his strength and power it seemed he could hold onto that ball forever and his opponents still wouldn't get it off him.

This enabled United to create the fast-flowing counter attack that characterised the team in the early to mid 1990s. Chuck the ball at him and it would stick to his chest, head, thigh or arse. He loved the way that opponents would just bounce off him and if they got in to close he could turn quickly, leaving them for dead to fire in a lethal shot. He was also a great passer with an ability to drop off deep and act as a playmaker. And who could forget that fiery Welsh temper that would sometimes emerge in the heat of battle.

Born in Wrexham, he joined United as a Youth team player and quickly rose to the first team as a prolific goal-scorer in United's infamous 1984 season. The club roared off to a ten point lead at the start of the season but form deserted the team and Hughes with United finishing a disappointing 4th. Hughes' talents now made him one of the hottest talents in England. After winning an FA Cup medal in 1985 and PFA Young Player of the Year award he attracted the attention of Europe's big clubs.
He was sold to Barcelona in 1986 for £2 million, however the intense pressure of the giant Nou-Camp crowds and huge expectations made for unhappy times - Hughes would get his revenge on Barca's fans in 1991. He even went out on loan to Bayern Munich for a time but it was clear his future lay back in England.

Alex Ferguson was first in the queue when Barca put Hughes up for sale and brought him back to United in 1988 for £1.6 million. It was business as usual as Hughes returned to his best form again. His excellent form meant he won PFA Player of the Year in both 1989 and 1991. Hughes soon became an established International for Wales playing over 65 times. (After a year as their team captain, in 1999 he took over from Bobby Gould as Welsh Manager)

However, it was his wondrous goals that fans loved the most. They are too many to list, but his best include the amazing bicycle kick for Wales against Spain, a superb narrow-angled winner in the Cup Winners' Cup Final against Barcelona, the looping volley lashed home against Manchester City in 1989, a belter at home to Sheffield Wednesday in 1994 and the volley to equalise against Oldham in the desperate last seconds of the 1994 FA Cup semi-final, the goal that saved United's 1994 season during the peak of his career. Hughes also scored twice in the 1990 FA Cup Final and the 3rd goal against Chelsea in the 1994 Final.

In the mid and late 1980s when Manchester United were at a low ebb, Sparky was something to be proud of, a class act that any great team would love to have. When the glory years of Cantona arrived, Hughes deservedly got his starring role in the limelight and was an integral part of the two League title wins and Double of 1994. It was claimed on Cantona's arrival that the two would never work together, yet the Hughes-Cantona partnership worked brilliantly from the start.

Then, aged 32 Alex Ferguson unexpectedly sold him in the summer of 1995 to Chelsea, where he went on to win the FA Cup and become the only player to ever win four FA Cup winner's medals. At the time United fans were as angry with the manager as perhaps they have ever been, for selling the man who had been an Old Trafford icon for over a decade.

Seeing Mark Hughes in the blue of Chelsea and Everton or stripes of Southampton has never seemed quite right. While he has gone on to carve out a successful managerial career with Wales and Blackburn, he will always be remembered marauding through defences in the red of his beloved Manchester United. As Alex Ferguson once said, "A warrior you could trust with your life".

Mark Hughes is my Idol, i loved watching him when i was a kid, he was somebody who would always rescue us right at the death, especially against the Oldham (Y)

I could go on for 3 more days talking about him, but i do have a good compilation about him in my profile if you guys wanna check it out

[center]"It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans. I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Another great Sparky moment was...

his two goal against Barcelona in the 91 cup winners cup final

second one especially

[center]"It will be a very emotional day for me, to play one last time at Old Trafford in front of our amazing fans. I am going to savour every moment and I hope the fans and Manchester United can also share in my special day.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

cockneyred
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Went off him after he went to Chelski I have to confess :roll:
Still can't bring myself to like him even now :cry:

[center]Image[/center]

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:02 pm

cockneyred wrote:Went off him after he went to Chelski I have to confess :roll:

I think he had to go, when he left us for Chelsea, its not like he sold us out, Sir Alex simply decided to sell players
he got rid of Ince and Kanchelskis then Sparky!
his first team place was gonna go, due to Andrew Cole signing

i was sad that he left, but never stopped loving the man who made me so happy when he played in red with the number 10!

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 am

Sparky wrote:

I think he had to go, when he left us for Chelsea, its not like he sold us out, Sir Alex simply decided to sell players

i was sad that he left, but never stopped loving the man who made me so happy when he played in red with the number 10![/quote]

Me neither,Hughesy was my absolute idol when I was a kid,i used to have so many bruises from trying to copy his spectacular bicycle kicks,im sure I infuriated my team mates as more often than not I'd end up on my arse after totally mis-kicking the ball.I have a clear vision of Hughesy in my head,its the FA cup final 1985 and the players are walking out onto the pitch,the camera focuses on Hughes,I remember being startled by the size of the muscles in his legs and my dad exclaiming "there like fornicate tree trunks" and they were,albeit emphasised by the skimpy hotpants he wore as shorts.It was his hold up play and his distribution that I loved most about him,he was so strong defenders had no chance of getting the ball of him,he could hold it up for what seemed like an eternity untill someone offered him support and then hed find them with a beautifully placed pass,usually something spectacular like with the outside of his boot!

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 am

mikey mikey wrote:
Sparky wrote:

i was sad that he left, but never stopped loving the man who made me so happy when he played in red with the number 10![/quote]

Me neither,Hughesy was my absolute idol when I was a kid,i used to have so many bruises from trying to copy his spectacular bicycle kicks,im sure I infuriated my team mates as more often than not I'd end up on my arse after totally mis-kicking the ball.I have a clear vision of Hughesy in my head,its the FA cup final 1985 and the players are walking out onto the pitch,the camera focuses on Hughes,I remember being startled by the size of the muscles in his legs and my dad exclaiming "there like procreating tree trunks" and they were,albeit emphasised by the skimpy hotpants he wore as shorts.It was his hold up play and his distribution that I loved most about him,he was so strong defenders had no chance of getting the ball of him,he could hold it up for what seemed like an eternity untill someone offered him support and then hed find them with a beautifully placed pass,usually something spectacular like with the outside of his boot!
[/quote]

Oh Mike-that brought tears to my eyes! I wasn't a Red until 1988 but I know what you mean about his tree trunk legs. Never seen legs like them-before or since. I loved his ability to hold up the ball too. Schmikes missed him for quite a while after he left-the way he'd kick it up field and Sparky would be there to bring it down perfectly, hold on to it and then give it when the time was right. The acrobatic bicycle kickc-no one could do them like him. He had such power-defenders were terrified of him. I cried bucket loads when he was sold. It's so great to see him doing well in management-though who would have thought it?! Quiet off-field Sparky a manager!

1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:50 am

He left, for Chelsea, as he wanted a 2 year extension on his contract and at the time we were a PLC with PLC rules about only offering players over 31 a one year deal at a time. That's the reason he left. And one can not blame him for that really. He had to look after his career and family.

IMO Mark Hughes was the best all round striker for United I have seen. He didnt score many goals (ratio wise) but the goals he scored for us were almost always winners or important goals. I believe that without him, more so than with Eric Cantona, we would not have been such a dominant force in the early 90's.

liz jomaa
International Player
International Player

Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:21 pm

i agree condor,he was someone we counted on when the chips were down,did'nt like it much when he left but a person has to think about whats best for his welfare.
and players did'nt make what players of today do,they had to think with their brains not their hearts. i know it was'nt that long ago but if i remember correctly they did'nt get 1/10th of what they get now even as recent as 10 years ago.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Sums you up, if I'm honest

What about the Lawman?

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Hughsy
Trainee
Trainee

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:26 am

Condor wrote:He left, for Chelsea, as he wanted a 2 year extension on his contract and at the time we were a PLC with PLC rules about only offering players over 31 a one year deal at a time. That's the reason he left. And one can not blame him for that really. He had to look after his career and family.

IMO Mark Hughes was the best all round striker for United I have seen. He didnt score many goals (ratio wise) but the goals he scored for us were almost always winners or important goals. I believe that without him, more so than with Eric Cantona, we would not have been such a dominant force in the early 90's.
(Y)

by Sparky on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 pm (Quote)
his two goal against Barcelona in the 91 cup winners cup final

second one especially (Y) Yes remember so well,another very courageous player who as Condor says scored some very important goals at vital times in games.I think winning that Cup winners Cup Final began the reingnite the dominace of ManUtd as a force in the years that followed. ;)

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
"My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fornicate perch...and you can print that."SAF

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:00 am

t.d. wrote:

What about the Lawman?
If we started disliking players just because they go to another club there won't be anyone left

What's going to happen when Ronaldo goes to Real Madrid?

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Lawman wrote:
t.d. wrote:

What about the Lawman?
If we started disliking players just because they go to another club there won't be anyone left

What's going to happen when Ronaldo goes to Real Madrid?
lol

Exactly

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Busby Boy
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I always loved 'Sparky' Hughes.
A real United Legend.

Hughsy
Trainee
Trainee

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:42 am

I always felt that Mark Hughes was something to be proud of, a class act that any great team would love to have. His great talents was holding the ball up while waiting for his team mates to arrive as the oncoming reinforcements, such was his strength and power it seemed he could hold onto that ball forever and his opponents still wouldn't get it off him. He was also a great passer with an ability to drop off deep and act as a playmaker, and who could forget that fiery welsh temper that would sometimes emerge in the heat of battle.Will always remember a superb narrow-angled winner in the Cup Winners' Cup Final against Barcelona, the looping volley lashed home against Manchester City in 1989, a belter at home to Sheffield Wednesday in 1994 and the volley to equalise against Oldham in the desperate last seconds of the 1994 FA Cup semi-final.Mark Hughes was just a delight to watch with his small statute who would battle tooth and nail in the heat of battle,a warrior you could trust with your life.

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
"My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fornicate perch...and you can print that."SAF

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Hughsy wrote:I always felt that Mark Hughes was something to be proud of, a class act that any great team would love to have. His great talents was holding the ball up while waiting for his team mates to arrive as the oncoming reinforcements, such was his strength and power it seemed he could hold onto that ball forever and his opponents still wouldn't get it off him. He was also a great passer with an ability to drop off deep and act as a playmaker, and who could forget that fiery welsh temper that would sometimes emerge in the heat of battle.Will always remember a superb narrow-angled winner in the Cup Winners' Cup Final against Barcelona, the looping volley lashed home against Manchester City in 1989, a belter at home to Sheffield Wednesday in 1994 and the volley to equalise against Oldham in the desperate last seconds of the 1994 FA Cup semi-final.Mark Hughes was just a delight to watch with his small statute who would battle tooth and nail in the heat of battle,a warrior you could trust with your life.

ditto !

he was something to be proud off, even when we were playing bad, he was playing good
i still love that goal he scored in the fa cup against Liverpool at Old Trafford in 90/91 season
over grobelaar to make it 2-0 in the game we eventually won 3-1
he was always one to rescue United, Wembley was his venue!

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Just found a new Sparky Hughes compilation on youtube. (Y)

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQ4LAr_THw&feature=related

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Timbers
New Signing
New Signing

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:49 am

Mark Hughes... My hero.

I don't believe that we've ever been any faster than when we had him upfront with Cantona and Giggs and Kanchelskis on the wings.
Ball pinged upto Hughes, the ball strikes his chest and drops dead at his magical feet, then he'd hold off the defenders with his immense power and lay the ball out wide with the outside of his left foot, the full back would be skinned for pace and the cross would be converted all in the space of a few seconds.

Amongst all the unbelievable goals that he scored that one I remember the most was the one in the League cup at Old Trafford when we beat Liverpool 3-1.
Liverpool hadn't been beaten that season (can't remebmer the year) and we rolled them over. The goal Hughes scored was a typical thunderbolt from 25 yards out which went straight above Grobbalars head despite him waving a beaten hand at it! Infact I think we scored 2 in a minute which made it all the better.

They were the days when Old Trafford had an atmosphere.

When he left I really did wonder how we'd go about attacking teams? No longer did we have the rock upfront to hold the ball up.
Took me a while to get over him leaving but we've not done bad since then!

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Timbers wrote:Mark Hughes... My hero.

I don't believe that we've ever been any faster than when we had him upfront with Cantona and Giggs and Kanchelskis on the wings.
Ball pinged upto Hughes, the ball strikes his chest and drops dead at his magical feet, then he'd hold off the defenders with his immense power and lay the ball out wide with the outside of his left foot, the full back would be skinned for pace and the cross would be converted all in the space of a few seconds.

Amongst all the unbelievable goals that he scored that one I remember the most was the one in the League cup at Old Trafford when we beat Liverpool 3-1.
Liverpool hadn't been beaten that season (can't remebmer the year) and we rolled them over. The goal Hughes scored was a typical thunderbolt from 25 yards out which went straight above Grobbalars head despite him waving a beaten hand at it! Infact I think we scored 2 in a minute which made it all the better.

They were the days when Old Trafford had an atmosphere.

When he left I really did wonder how we'd go about attacking teams? No longer did we have the rock upfront to hold the ball up.
Took me a while to get over him leaving but we've not done bad since then!

(Y)

that goal against Liverpool was amazing! its on the complition i posted
with the scouse fans behind the goal. we did score two in a minute that game
at a guess now, i think it was steve bruce penalty, and then Lee Sharpe scored a third
we had les sealey in net and he was so funny, he really taunted Ian Rush that night

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:28 am

Well, I promised a better reply and it has taken me a while to find the time to try to do that justice, so here goes.

For me, Mark Hughes is the greatest center forward I have seen in a United shirt. To validate that: I never saw Tommy Taylor play but my United life spans from the later days of Denis Law through great goal scorers like Pancho Pearson and Jimmy Greenhoff to the modern day Cantona, Cole, van Nistelrooy and Rooney. Many pundits applaud Cantona as the catalyst for United early 90's success but without Mark Hughes, Cantona would not have had the same impact imo. I would go further and say that Mark Hughes was more important to the team on the field than Cantona was. Even Wayne Rooney is not yet as great as Hughsie was imo but has all the attributes to be so.

I would also compare him to Alan Shearer of his own generation and claim that Mark Hughes was a much better footballer and athlete than Shearer ever was. Shearer scored more goals but his overall work rate and skill was nothing compared to Mark.

Mark Hughes had everything and more that a football fan wants from a center forward. Adjectives and superlatives seem to roll off the tongue with Mark Hughes. He was the bravest, most determined, most passionate, most athletic, most committed, hardest working center forward I have ever seen play the game. You could take all the best parts of all the best footballers playing any position, put them all into a mould and out would come Mark Hughes. But they were simply his characteristics and speak nothing for his skill and reading of the game.

He was almost impossible to disposes when he had the ball with his back to goal. He could hold the ball up or play it first time, spin and be away from his marker before the defender knew the ball had gone. It was once said that he had the thickest ankles in football, thicker than most players bicep upper arms and no matter how much he was kicked from behind he hardly went down under a challenge. His upper body strength was also incredible and I can not recall more than 1 or 2 incidents when he was charged off the ball.

He had a unique ability to instinctively know where all his team mates were on the field at any time and could find them with a flick or a 40 yard pass with consummate ease. Hughsie had the vision and bravery to get into the box late and arrive to head or volley balls home. His finishing, whilst not prolific was executed with apparent ease and always instinctively. He was not a composed clinical finisher but played the game with passion

Mark Hughes will be best remembered for his sensational long range volleys and first time shooting which carried venom and accuracy. Regardless of the high of the ball he always had the athletic prowess to get on top of the ball and apply such power in his shots. Catalogue the world’s best volleyed goals and Mark Hughes would have several entries in the top 10 and dozens in a top 100.

He was a great header of the ball but, as he didn’t stand over 6 feet, proved that mainly when ghosting into space to head home as he could never out jump center backs with 4 or 5 inches on him. But he knew that and never attempted to play their game. Instead he would drop deeper, make late runs and find space at all times.

Mark Hughes was THE man and the player I most miss from the Premiership years. When asked to name one player from that era to bring back if we could into the modern game and it will be Sparky.

Aragorn

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:30 am

I would say when they made Sparky they broke the mould, a good old fashioned centre forward

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Great post Condor,my sentiments exactly (Y)

Our local butcher who has followed United since the 50's says that Tommy Taylor and Mark Hughes are the two greatest centre forwards that United have ever had,he's seen a huge amount of players in all the time since hes been following United so its huge praise indeed,but praise I think is fully deserved.

MobileNanny
International Player
International Player

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Condor, perfectly put. I thought for years after he left us that Schmeichel missed him for launching the long balls to. He brought those balls under control like no other. A 'Mark Hughes' centre forward is my sort of striker-full of passion, strength and great character, not to mention abilty! He was one of the first of my favourite players to leave and I cried absolute buckets when it happened! :roll:

1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born!

Sparky
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:45 am

I loved that Lawman

(Y)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
[/center]

Macca
New Signing
New Signing

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Well summed up Condor, I loved watching him, and was gutted when he left. I remember once my brother was passing a book shop, and a crowd had snaked it's way out the door. Being the nosey bugger he is, he stopped to look what was happening, and it was Mark in there signing his book, The Red Dragon. So he queued up, and brought two books, got them both signed, and gave one to me. Only cost me a pint aswell ;)

Return to “United Legends & History”