Next Match: Image
Ajax in the Europa League Final.
Wednesday 24th May 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Andre Gray

9 months ago

The real chance Burnley had of staying up this season, homophobic tweets from a few years come back to the surface, surely it can't be tolerated, what do Burnley do now?

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Re: Andre Gray

9 months ago

I think Sandies should drop him immediately.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

9 months ago

Who cares? A few years back Vardy was a racist, last year everybody in the world with a fleeting interest in football loved him.
"Make America Great Again!"

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

Horrible birth canal.
Make football fabulous again!

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Surely Burnley signed him knowing he was a despicable birth canal?

Short Back and Sides
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Daddy

9 months ago

Surely Burnley signed him knowing he was a despicable birth canal?
I think that's why they signed him
100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

A year ago Vardy was a racist, last year everybody in the world with a fleeting interest in football loved him.
End discussion
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

I disagree with that ending the discussion, surely it should be the start of one? Statistically speaking there must be a bunch of gay footballers in the premier league, now they see this and no action, how does that make them feel? If anything, it makes them want to stay in the closet more with no action being taken.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

The thing that will annoy me with this is that in future, one bigot will be used as evidence of homophobia being rife in football when I don't think it is.

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

You don't think footballers are homophobic?

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

I disagree with that ending the discussion, surely it should be the start of one? Statistically speaking there must be a bunch of gay footballers in the premier league, now they see this and no action, how does that make them feel? If anything, it makes them want to stay in the closet more with no action being taken.
Thing is, nothing happened to Vardy or the othrs, why should Burnley do anything to jeoporsise their season when no else does

Its a sad reality
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Dante
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Vardy was fined and had to undergo diversity training.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Who cares? A few years back Vardy was a racist, last year everybody in the world with a fleeting interest in football loved him.
He was?
"In my culture, that is considered a dick move." - Birdperson

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

The real chance Burnley had of staying up this season, homophobic tweets from a few years come back to the surface, surely it can't be tolerated, what do Burnley do now?
Burnley issue a warning and deleted his tweets. I think they should have fined him and move on.

I thought this was funny :whistle:

Glorio
International Player
International Player

9 months ago

Burnley issue a warning and deleted his tweets. I think they should have fined him and move on.

I find it incredibly stupid to be honest. Again though, that was 2012 - people need to move on. The uncovering of all these tweets just seems really bitter. I think it's a lesson to us all though. Even if you're an idiot, be careful what you post online; cos one day if you're suddenly a big deal, your idiocy may come back to bite you hard
There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

9 months ago

Even in an age before the internet it was wise to live by the idiom - never put into writing something you are not willing for the world to know about you.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

As a whole? Probably not. I don't think homophobia is rife in football. Also the fans get lumped into this and unfairly labeled as homophobic bigots, by the sorts who have never been to a game. I've been to hundreds of games and I've never once heard a homophobic chant.

I think football would be a lot more accepting of a gay footballer than people think.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

9 months ago

Even in an age before the internet it was wise to live by the idiom - never put into writing something you are not willing for the world to know about you.
People always forget you cannot delete anything on the web. Some employee even survey potential employee fb or instagram before hiring.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

Vardy was fined and had to undergo diversity training.
Do you really think that is going to change someones outlook? It's all for show.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

I find it incredibly stupid to be honest. Again though, that was 2012 - people need to move on. The uncovering of all these tweets just seems really bitter. I think it's a lesson to us all though. Even if you're an idiot, be careful what you post online; cos one day if you're suddenly a big deal, your idiocy may come back to bite you hard
It's good in a sense that it allows stupid people to reveal who they really are. But as far as holding it against Burnley, they are paying a guy for his services, not his insight on the world.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

As a whole? Probably not. I don't think homophobia is rife in football. Also the fans get lumped into this and unfairly labeled as homophobic bigots, by the sorts who have never been to a game. I've been to hundreds of games and I've never once heard a homophobic chant.

I think football would be a lot more accepting of a gay footballer than people think.
I disagree. I work in an industry dominated by men, working class type men, and I wouldn't say that homosexuality is generally accepted. I am guessing football has similar attitudes, all men, a lot of alpha types.

The reality is that open homosexuality is fairly new in our society, even 20 years ago I would imagine a lot of the people who are open about it now would have probably hidden it. So being something somewhat new and a relatively small percentage of the population its going to take a while before it's completely accepted by society. I am not saying this is right, but humans are humans, you aren't going to change them overnight.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

I disagree. I work in an industry dominated by men, working class type men, and I wouldn't say that homosexuality is generally accepted. I am guessing football has similar attitudes, all men, a lot of alpha types.
Gareth Thomas came out in Rugby, how macho is macho is Rugby? Suppose that might be a bit different as Rugby is for Tories.
The reality is that open homosexuality is fairly new in our society, even 20 years ago I would imagine a lot of the people who are open about it now would have probably hidden it. So being something somewhat new and a relatively small percentage of the population its going to take a while before it's completely accepted by society. I am not saying this is right, but humans are humans, you aren't going to change them overnight.
Maybe I'm just naive then. All I know is that when Hitzlsperger came out the reaction from fans and players was a positive one.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

9 months ago

Not sure what to make of this mess.

Guy is clearly a nob - but maybe he has completely reformed (who knows?)

I dont think he should just get away with it but I dont think he should be sacked - Burnley would be the only losers there and theyve done nothing wrong!

I think he should be given a MASSIVE fine, banned from social media while he is a pro and be forced to do some sort of LGBT support group voluntary work.

Affect the offender, not his employer!
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

Gareth Thomas came out in Rugby, how macho is macho is Rugby? Suppose that might be a bit different as Rugby is for Tories.
Maybe I'm just naive then. All I know is that when Hitzlsperger came out the reaction from fans and players was a positive one.
I hope it was genuine, the skeptical side of me is saying a lot of people are doing the right thing in public.

If someone came out in my department at work I am certain everyone would say the right things, but I cringe at the idea of what they would say when said person wasn't around.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

9 months ago

Not sure what to make of this mess.

Guy is clearly a nob - but maybe he has completely reformed (who knows?)

I dont think he should just get away with it but I dont think he should be sacked - Burnley would be the only losers there and theyve done nothing wrong!

I think he should be given a MASSIVE fine, banned from social media while he is a pro and be forced to do some sort of LGBT support group voluntary work.

Affect the offender, not his employer!
Can you fine a guy for something he did years before joining the club?

Return to “General Football”