Next Match: Image
Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup
Wednesday 20th September 2017, KO 20:00 BST.
Tom
Trainee
Trainee

Just Read About A Classic

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:41 pm

The Caribbean Cup qualifiers had a game in 1994 that didn't go quite to the normal plan. I couldn't find any footage unfortunately but if someone could it would be amazing. I'll just paste it from the Wikipedia article...

On January 27, 1994, the Barbados national football team and Grenada national football team played against each other as part of the qualification round for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. Due to an unusual scoring rule, as well as the two teams' respective positions in the tournament, it was alternately in Barbados's, then Grenada's, best interest to score an own goal. The result has been described as "one of the strangest football matches ever".

The organizers of the tournament imposed a rule requiring all matches to have a winner and had chosen an unusual variant of the golden goal rule, which meant that the first goal scored in extra-time not only won the match, but also counted as double. The final score was 4−2, but only one goal was scored after the regular 90 minutes because of the rule. Barbados started the match needing to win by a margin of at least two goals to qualify for the final tournament. When Grenada scored late on in normal time to bring the scoreline to 2−1, Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to force extra-time, where they could get the two-goal winning margin they needed thanks to the unconventional golden goal rule.

The match started off routinely, and Barbados scored two goals, establishing the two-goal winning margin they needed. In the 83rd minute, however, the game changed when Grenada scored a goal. This late goal would take Grenada through to the finals unless Barbados could score again. Barbados attempted to score for the next few minutes, but because they were unable to, they switched to an alternate strategy, of tying up the game so that they could try to achieve the two-goal margin in extra-time. In the 87th minute they stopped attacking, and the defender Terry Sealey and the goalkeeper Horace Stoute passed the ball between each other before intentionally scoring an own goal.

Now the game was at 2–2, with just three minutes of normal time left. The Grenadian players caught on to Barbados's plan, and realized that they would advance in the tournament by scoring a goal in either net. This left the match in the highly unusual position of no clear side of the field for one team versus the other, but rather one team trying to score a goal in either net, and the other team trying to defend both. For the next three minutes, Barbadian players successfully defended both sides. Still tied at 2−2, the game went on to extra-time, where the winning "Golden Goal" would count double — so Barbados only had to score once to qualify for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. Thorne scored the winner for Barbados and they advanced to the next round.

Can you imagine?

Found it: https://youtu.be/ThpYsN-4p7w
Last edited by Tom on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Just Read About A Classic

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 am

I'd like to see footage of Barbados defending both goals for the remaining 3 minutes whilst Grenada was figuring out which goal to score in. Thinking about it, I would say scoring an own goal shouldn't be that hard, even if the opponent is trying to prevent this.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Oranje wrote:I'd like to see footage of Barbados defending both goals for the remaining 3 minutes whilst Grenada was figuring out which goal to score in. Thinking about it, I would say scoring an own goal shouldn't be that hard, even if the opponent is trying to prevent this.
If you can avoid it going to the keeper, for a few minutes it would be doable. Split the team, six in the opponents half, 5 in your own.

The problem they had was they went too early, they should have scored in the 89th minute.

Tom
Trainee
Trainee

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 am

There's not enough footage of it unfortunately. I would pay to see a team try to score, find out they're going to struggle, then just turn round and try their own net. That sounds next level.

Oranje
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:54 am

Dante wrote:
Oranje wrote:I'd like to see footage of Barbados defending both goals for the remaining 3 minutes whilst Grenada was figuring out which goal to score in. Thinking about it, I would say scoring an own goal shouldn't be that hard, even if the opponent is trying to prevent this.
If you can avoid it going to the keeper, for a few minutes it would be doable. Split the team, six in the opponents half, 5 in your own.

The problem they had was they went too early, they should have scored in the 89th minute.
It's hard to keep posession though, the other team can chase after you with more players because they have nothing to defend. As soon as they gain posession they can go for their own (or either) goal with all players. If they manage to get it to their own keepers hands it's over so the opponent will try to prevent that which leaves maybe 4 or 5 players trying to prevent 10 players scoring an own goal. If their shots on their own target get deflected by the Barbados players it's a goal kick which would also be enough to score an own goal.

The Grenada team didn't really have time to think on this though... I'd be flabbergasted by what went on too.

Return to “General Football”