Next Match: Image
Swansea City in the Carabao Cup.
Tuesday 24th October 2017, KO 19:45 BST.
Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Re: as the end of the season approaches what's next

Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Young 15(8) 31 Gone – At his best he is a journeyman and fits a role, but there are better players available to fill that role.
I agree and disagree with a few points you've made but to call Young a journeyman is really harsh. Nearly 500 professional appearances for a grand total of 3 teams and he's a journeyman? Right now he's a squad player at best but I still feel he should have been used a bit more over darmian at times this season.

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Tue May 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 pm
Young 15(8) 31 Gone – At his best he is a journeyman and fits a role, but there are better players available to fill that role.
I agree and disagree with a few points you've made but to call Young a journeyman is really harsh. Nearly 500 professional appearances for a grand total of 3 teams and he's a journeyman? Right now he's a squad player at best but I still feel he should have been used a bit more over darmian at times this season.
When I use the term journeyman I am not referring to the number of clubs he has played for, instead I think of him as a very decent professional player. Never the "goto" guy but as you said a squad player who usually can be counted on for a shift or two. I would not be too upset if he was around for another season because there are other priorities.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Guilem Balague has tweeted that James to United for 70m euros is a done deal... would be unusual for him to stick his neck out so boldly like that..
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed May 17, 2017 5:36 pm

James does look like a United type of player.
He can't get into the Real Madrid team so they would probably be happy to sell him for a lot less than they paid for him
He can even be used as a hook for a proven top quality in DDG who is probably only one of only two or three we have left
James plays in a shirt selling position and United can be "proud to announce" they have signed a £80 million Galatico
What they will have signed is a £45 million player who has not fulfilled his promise and is probably happy to move on
He is actually at a crossroads rather than a proven world class target that we really need
Forum members like Giants shows he is ready and waiting with his todger and happy to buy into this player who doesn't appear to be wanted by any top club, so wait for the big news story

So the big question is,
Will the all important Chinese market buy into another manyana and buy his shirts?
Marcus?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Wed May 17, 2017 6:15 pm

I always have some trepidation about player who's best showing of their career is at a tourement, WC or Euros etc. In the lead up to Brazil James looked like he was the next big superstar and Real Madrid being in the market for him looked to confirm that. For whatever reason he just hasn't progressed at RM, they have a few that fit that category, and now they want to move him on for top dollar based on potential disguised as greatness. Maybe all he needs is a fresh environment but we would not be buying a proven player,especially in the premier league, and I do not next season is a good time to be taking too many chances.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Call Me: Del

Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 am

He's an attacker who has shown his willingness to track back and help defend so from that perspective he'd be the type of player that Mourinho likes.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 am

Throw whatever money is needed for Harry Kane. That guy is unreal. 100m
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

I don't follow Spanish football too closely, but James hasn't seemed to set the world alight in Madrid. I don't understand how a team can massively overpay for a player, then they don't perform at that level, but the money being talked about is pretty similar to what Real paid. If he is available for about a third of what Madrid paid I would take him, otherwise not at all.
"Make America Great Again!"

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 pm

Giants14 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 am
Throw whatever money is needed for Harry Kane. That guy is unreal. 100m
Why would Spurs sell him to us? Why would he leave Spurs to join us? :think:
My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 am

They wont and he'll not but we are a bigger club than them
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 am

Relly wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am
I don't follow Spanish football too closely, but James hasn't seemed to set the world alight in Madrid. I don't understand how a team can massively overpay for a player, then they don't perform at that level, but the money being talked about is pretty similar to what Real paid. If he is available for about a third of what Madrid paid I would take him, otherwise not at all.
Yeah, I dont see why we should be paying the same price. He came from a good WC for that price but hasnt lived up to that.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat May 27, 2017 4:12 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 pm
My thinking on Darmian was that we have so many other position that should be prioritized that between him, Shaw and Blind we could probably get by. The LB position would not be a position of strength for us.
Jose seems to found a way to utilised him too. I'll be surprise if Darmian leave.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat May 27, 2017 9:17 am

Just shows you the different mentality between those that want to win ie Chelsea and the Berties and those that prefer money ie Arsenal and us

The FA Cup Final is today and Chelsea seem to be treating it like the Community Shield
It is nice to win but doesn't mean a huge amount other than it will make them double winners
Arsenal on the other hand are treating it like a massive trophy and their fans don't know whether they want to win it or not as it would be a "massive" trophy in the eyes of the club and might well save Wenger who many want to leave

Chelsea are mentally on next season
Conte has signed an improved deal taking his salary from £7m to almost £10m a year and lengthened his contract by 2 more years
A justifyable financial reward but just as important he has signed because he reportedly has had assurances from the owner that their ambitions are on the same page
They are now out looking for the best that money can buy because Conte is worried that he only has 13-14 quality players and that is not enough to be successfull in the Champions league
He is quoted as saying "The base is here.Now we must put on the cherries"
Oh what luxury and what a great "football" attitude
Can any of you tell me 13-14 quality players in our team?

City,who had a disastrous season by their standard but who still finished way above us having played more entertaining football all season
They have been out and already signed Silva from Monaco
I had to laugh at the fee.
They paid £43 million for the lad,who at 22 will be around a long time if he makes it.
The fee could possibly go up to £60 million with add ons
He has signed a 5 year contract presumably in the £7-10 million pounds a year salary
United would have been proud to announce they had signed a lad for £110 million(That's a maximum £60m plus salary of say £50 million)
That sounds more commercial and helps shirt sales doesn't it
Pep is now back at Monaco trying to get Benjamin Mendy at left back

Now to the money teams
Arsene is buggering around with the goalkeepers today(now where have i heard that before?)
He is going to play his Columbian international goalkeeper ahead of his number one goalkeeper Peter Cech who is reported to be unhappy
Now before you all tell me how good nour number two is i would remind you that Ajax didn't make him save anything on Wednesday
Let's see how Chelsea fare in attack today
I suspect somewhat more lethal but we'll see
Wenger is also trying to desperately hold on to Alexis Sanchez by offering him an £100 a week,go on £200 a week,final offer £300 a week(now where have i heard that before)
Sanchez will leave and the Arsenal fans are saying that's OK with them if Sanchez is so greedy(Now where have i heard that before)
Top quality fighting at board level over money(now where have i heard that before)
A team in decline that has the fans fighting amongst themselves(now where have i heard that before)
They have a really nice ground though which is more that can be said for Chelsea and Spurs(now where have i heard that before)
They also have a massive Chinese base and very expensive hospitality packages(now where have i heard that before)

As for United.
Well the season is over and now the silence on transfers is deafening
Has been all season except for the Grieszman rumours

So wehre are we going to get 13-14 quality players plus to challenge Chelsea AND have a decent go in the Champions league?
Or are you happy to finish 3rd in the group and have another go at the massive UEFA cup?

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Sat May 27, 2017 7:28 pm

is there a player we haven't been linked to.....today it's Perisic and Lucas Moura

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat May 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Just wait and see

Ed has gone on holiday so sod all is going to happen

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat May 27, 2017 7:59 pm

joze ruis wrote:is there a player we haven't been linked to.....today it's Perisic and Lucas Moura
Moura's name will pop up every year !
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun May 28, 2017 7:51 am

is it possible that the money will be the most important overriding feature of our summer transfer deals
Everybody is aware that we need players
But who

What would balance the owners greedy ambitions and love of money with the required signings to keep the Chinese market happy

My opinion is that Wazza has told them what he wants to do and has been convinced to keep the decision quiet
He is balancing his massive salary at United with his own personal requirements
The one thing the "appears" to have ruled out is retirement
I know he is not that old but his own proven incapability to stay fit added to his game deteriorating rapidly would make it a consideration for others
He and his wife are not known for looking likely that the Far East would suit them
Everton might suit him in terms of not having to move but would a) he want to go backwards b) would he take Everton backwards as a team(in my opinion he would not improve them) and c) would the fans actually still want him back
Everton are actually at a bit of a crossroads imo
They have been as happy as they can be to have lived in Liverpool's shadow over the years but with a new billionaire owner they seem to expect massive things
My experience is that rich owners can make or break you depending on why they own the club
Abramovitch wants to improve the club.
Liverpools previous American owners wanted profit
Arsenal are confused
Evertom should be strengthening yet seem unable to hold on to their best players who seem to want out
If Moshiri,the new owner at Everton can't or doesn't want to keep them he raise £200m which will pay for the new ground but will leave the fans unhappy
Maybe he has a plan to replace old,local Evertonian's with the Wayne Looney fan club who he might believe would come to Everton from United

Our owners will also know what is ACTUALLY happening with DDG
If he is being sold as many anticipate and if it is to Madrid as many expect then nothing will happen until after the Champions league final next week
At that point i think our transfer window will start and only then

Champions league sponsors money saved + income from DDG =2 shirt sellers joining us
Which two?
Who the hell knows
I also expect one moderate player to come in and that will be it

I can see Ashley Young joining Schweinsteiger,Schneiderlin and Depay out
Also possibly expect Smalling or Jones to go and don't rule out Martial asking for a transfer

That's 5 or 6 out and 3 in plus a few cheap kids promoted
The proud to announce fanfare will be for the shirt sellers
That's the United way

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun May 28, 2017 10:54 am

Just read a very interesting article in the Sunday Mail by Joe Bernstein
Taking out all the opinion and sticking only with the facts this is what he reported
Firstly Michael Carrick has signed a one year extension-Fact
My personal opinion on this is that it is a very good move.Although he is slowing down he plays in a position where experience is more important than speed and stamina.He can help develop others.I just hope they don't flog him to death ala Wazza and i hope they don't see it as a cheap option to not buy somebody in his position.I have fear on the latter

Secondly speaking from Monte Carlo where Jose has been photographed with the Red Bull team Jose has urged Ed to tie up the transfer business early
Jose said(and he has quote marks around this so it will be true) "As i promised after the final i don't care about football for a month.You have to ask Ed Woodward about signings.He's known since MARCH who i want.Now is the time for him to work because in August he'll be having holidays and i will be working"
Well that's clear enough for me
All the rest of the column is designed to sell newspapers with specualtion about Michael Keane and Zlatan signing for another year(of which he is guaranteed to miss at least 5 months) and Griezmann and Belotti etc etc etc
Disregard all the last paragraph until it either happens or is reported with "speech marks"

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Sun May 28, 2017 11:04 am

shit, rumours are picking up on Perisic. It's even on Sky now :yawn: (N)

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm

ignore rumours
You will drive yourself crazy

I haven't seen the Sky news but presumably they are talking about "sources" which would indeed make it just fake news

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Sun May 28, 2017 1:35 pm

this particular rumor annoys me because i can see it happening. He's a disciplined , defensive winger with a heart of a fighter which Jose likes so much. The problem is we have enough average players already and i would prefer someone with flair and excitement as this is the tradition of the club.

He's a little upgrade on Lingard because he can cross but i want Sanchez type signings. I wouldnt want somebody ordinary like Perisic to take over Martial who has world class potential if he can get his head togheter.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Sun May 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Personnally I would love Perisic. I think he is one of the best options for a winger out there.
"Make America Great Again!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon May 29, 2017 4:18 am

I continually have to keep reminding myself that the "news media" has little or nothing to do with informing the public about the news, instead their purpose is to sell advertising. United have always been an easy sell during the transfer market and soon after Mourinho's arrival i read that he had increased the scouting staff; if true this just gives the media more cannon fodder.

When I see a player holding a United jersey, with Mourinho on one side and Woodward on the other and all are smiling, then I believe that the signing is complete. Until then i enjoy the speculation and fanfare.

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon May 29, 2017 7:46 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:18 am
I continually have to keep reminding myself that the "news media" has little or nothing to do with informing the public about the news, instead their purpose is to sell advertising. United have always been an easy sell during the transfer market and soon after Mourinho's arrival i read that he had increased the scouting staff; if true this just gives the media more cannon fodder.

When I see a player holding a United jersey, with Mourinho on one side and Woodward on the other and all are smiling, then I believe that the signing is complete. Until then i enjoy the speculation and fanfare.
Spot on

I don't have todays papers but i am sure there will be more gossip

There has to be two major signings this summer just for the commercial side to operate
The question is will they be top class 25-27 year olds who will be around for 5 or 6 years as part of a team rebuilding or will they just be stars
The only alternative to new signings would be to keep Zlatan and Wazza and that would be untenable for me

I hope that we don't leave it until the end of July and i hope they are genuine quality rather than a daft transfer fee to perceive quality

I found it interesting that Jose is quoted as saying Scouse Ed has had his wants list since March
I presume Scouse Ed has therefore been setting deals up
I would understand if players were reluctant to join until they knew our champions league status but there are no such barriers now
I hope we have our eye on some players of quality that are playing in this weeks Champions League final
That would excite me
I admire how quickly City have moved to start signings
That Monaco team was one that i admired throughout the season

redmaria
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Looks more and more like Wazza'a staying

Stoke are seriously interested but can'y get near his wages
Wazza won't just go unless United pay him off

Mexican stand off methinks except the Mexicans can't afford to buy shirts as the pea proved

Return to “Transfers, Speculation & Rumours”