Loading...
Next Match: Image
Newcastle in the Premier League.
Saturday 18th November 2017, KO 17:30 UTC.
User avatar
joze ruis
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

do we really need another winger ?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 am

reading posts on here it seem most want another winger. I would rather spend money elsewhere.

With Lukaku's arrival Rashford is certain to be played on the wing. Then we have Martial ,Mata, Miki,Lingard for the other wing, more than enough quality with exception of Lingard. They should work on crossing a lot druing pre-season but apart from that they have it all. IF we sign another DM i xpect Jose to play with 3 midfileders ( new signing , Pogba , Herrera )so that mean we wont have a classic #10 which leaves Miki and Mata competing for the spot on the wing.



User avatar
SUBXERO
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:20 pm
Call Me: Max

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am

The players you mentioned are all forwards able to cut in from the wings. Which of course doesn't automatically make them wingers. A classical winger is more of a midfielder cutting deep down the sideline and feeding the forward/forwards with balls.

The sad thing about all these above is that apart from Rashford and Martial they all lack exactly what matters most - PACE! No matter how good you are at crossing (something you can practice and eventually get better at), if you don't have the natural quickness and ability to take on defenders with the ball at your feet (and preferably go past them) you can't be considered a proper winger.

One or many would argue that the game has evolved and new modern-day schemes are being implemented which don't require having wingers in your squad anymore, but then again, you can only build your play on the players you have at your disposal. My personal best case scenario would be us having the possibility/squad enabling us to be versatile and flexible enough to field a XI and take on tactics depending on whom we play against. I had to argue more than once with fans pointing at the presumption that if you are strong enough you don't have to adapt your style to your opponent but rather the opposite. Last season's home draws showed how inconsistent this theory in fact is.
UNITED > ENGLAND

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm

SUBXERO wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am
The players you mentioned are all forwards able to cut in from the wings. Which of course doesn't automatically make them wingers. A classical winger is more of a midfielder cutting deep down the sideline and feeding the forward/forwards with balls.

The sad thing about all these above is that apart from Rashford and Martial they all lack exactly what matters most - PACE! No matter how good you are at crossing (something you can practice and eventually get better at), if you don't have the natural quickness and ability to take on defenders with the ball at your feet (and preferably go past them) you can't be considered a proper winger.

One or many would argue that the game has evolved and new modern-day schemes are being implemented which don't require having wingers in your squad anymore, but then again, you can only build your play on the players you have at your disposal. My personal best case scenario would be us having the possibility/squad enabling us to be versatile and flexible enough to field a XI and take on tactics depending on whom we play against. I had to argue more than once with fans pointing at the presumption that if you are strong enough you don't have to adapt your style to your opponent but rather the opposite. Last season's home draws showed how inconsistent this theory in fact is.
Agree. A winger is needed to inject pace and directness to the team.

My prioty for the team is DM>Winger>Fullback
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Yes. I'd be happy with Ashley Young from 10 years ago. We need a classic winger. We have too many wide midfielders or forwards who can play wider. We need a touchline hugging, man beating winger who can cross a ball. We don't have that.
100% Top Red

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm

IMO the tradition wingers, who bombs up and down the flanks never leaving the touchline, no longer have a place in today’s football. Of course, as soon as one team is successful by using traditional wingers then it will be copied and be back in vogue. United where probably the last team that could make a traditional attack with wingers work for them, but even Sir Alex would resort to packing the midfield for European competitions. Managers are far more concerned with not being overrun in the middle of the pitch than actually playing wide open attacking football.

Width is now provided by the L/R back going forward and midfielders covering the vacated areas. The “three at the back” formation is gaining popularity because it allows managers to have attacking options (Wing Backs) down the flanks while maintain bodies in the midfield and on defense. For most anagers, the key appears to be; how quickly can we get an advantage of players in an area of the pitch before the opposition does and committing players to the touch line doesn’t fit that style.

I would really like to see United playing with two aggressive attacking winger but unfortunately I just do not see that happening any time in the near future.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8215
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Call Me: Daddy

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 pm

I see what you're saying but what's massively different between having that type of winger and having Rashford out wide? Same thing apart from Rashford is more naturally a striker. I've seen that said everywhere but the fact Is teams still play winger style football just with unnatural wingers
100% Top Red

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5620
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm
Call Me: Barry

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 am

The only natural wide player we have is Valencia, all the other "wide" players we have used want to come inside at about the penalty box and that condenses the defenders and the open spaces is out by the touch line. If Valencia goes into that area he pulls at least one and maybe two defenders with him. If we pickup Perisic it would not surprise me to see him used in a similar role as Valencia only from the left.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
joze ruis
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:52 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm
IMO the tradition wingers, who bombs up and down the flanks never leaving the touchline, no longer have a place in today’s football. Of course, as soon as one team is successful by using traditional wingers then it will be copied and be back in vogue. United where probably the last team that could make a traditional attack with wingers work for them, but even Sir Alex would resort to packing the midfield for European competitions. Managers are far more concerned with not being overrun in the middle of the pitch than actually playing wide open attacking football.

Width is now provided by the L/R back going forward and midfielders covering the vacated areas. The “three at the back” formation is gaining popularity because it allows managers to have attacking options (Wing Backs) down the flanks while maintain bodies in the midfield and on defense. For most anagers, the key appears to be; how quickly can we get an advantage of players in an area of the pitch before the opposition does and committing players to the touch line doesn’t fit that style.

I would really like to see United playing with two aggressive attacking winger but unfortunately I just do not see that happening any time in the near future.
good points (Y)

User avatar
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:43 pm
Yes. I'd be happy with Ashley Young from 10 years ago. We need a classic winger. We have too many wide midfielders or forwards who can play wider. We need a touchline hugging, man beating winger who can cross a ball. We don't have that.
I don't think Jose would play a formation that used that though.

I mean obviously if I were in charge we'd play 4-4-2, but I'm not.
Image

User avatar
esobeso
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:09 am
Call Me: David

Re: do we really need another winger ?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Football has changed, but if we had TWO real wingers I would be happy.

Ivan Perisic and Gelson Martins would be awesome, both fast tricky and can actually cross the ball.

Return to “Transfers, Speculation & Rumours”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users