Next Match: Image
Chelsea in the Premier League.
Sunday 25th February 2018, KO 14:05 UTC.
marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: Movies

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Brokeback Mountain

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Congrats on naming a movie.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Sorry forgot to review.

Ann Hathaway boobs was awesome in brokeback mountain

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:37 am

Searching for Sugarman (2012)
A fascinating documentary concerning the search by music historians for clues as to the disappearance of the artist Rodriguez, a half Mexican, half Native American singer who produced two albums in the early 1970's which, though flopping Stateside, caused him to become bigger than Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan in Apartheid South Africa; all unbeknownst to Rodriguez himself who was reported to have committed suicide on stage in 1972 when he lit himself on fire during a concert.

Nebraska (2013)
When his senile father (Bruce Dern) becomes convinced he's won $1,000,000 due to some junk mail, a young man (Will Forte) reluctantly takes him on an 800 mile road trip to Lincoln, Nebraska in order to collect his winnings. On the way they stop over at the father's home-town where news that he's a millionaire quickly spreads. The fact that it's shot in black and white adds a smooth gravitas to this very enjoyable and otherwise low-key comedy/drama about ageing and reconnection.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 pm

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Pretty sure almost every one of you has watched this film. I have watched it numerous times and I still can't enough of how brilliant it is. An excellent plot with an incredible ode to friendship, hope, wit and wisdom. Both Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman played their role to perfection. I don't think anyone could have played Morgan Freeman's role quite the way he did. Its still my favourite movie of all time to this day.

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:58 pm

So good? I should find time to watch

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Its the best movie you'll ever watch.

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:41 pm

It's a good film, but there are a number of prison films better than Shawshank Redemption imo. Cool Hand Luke without doubt, and even Chopper and Bronson.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Bronson's brilliant, great performance by Matt Hardy.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 pm

He's Tom; you're Matt.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Right, for some reason I confuse the names.

This is Matt Hardy, no idea why I remember the name, as I don't even remember watching WWE

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Well maybe the wrestler Matt Hardy would have made an even better Bronson movie; alas we'll never know.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Remake?

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:59 pm

The Family (2013)
A tiresome comedy starring Robert Di Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer and Tommy Lee Jones following the exploits of an ex Mafia man and his family living in witness protection in the small rustic town in France. Although Di Niro and Tommy Lee Jones make good on-screen partners as the psychopathic mafia boss and the grouchy FBI agent charged with his protection, the movie is more or less entirely devoid of any genuine laughs and has no compelling plot, resulting in a rather sloppy and directionless viewing experience which really isn't worth spending two hours on

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:16 pm

The Book Thief was good.

Sex tape, shit comedy.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 am

Robocop (2014)
Meh, it was okay. The fella who plays Robocop is fairly wooden, but he is playing a robot so perhaps that's forgivable. Michael Keaton is watchable as a Steve Jobsesque evilcorp chief exec, and Gary Oldman is very good as his lead robotics scientist. Samuel L Jackson further solidifies his position a the most pointless actor in Hollywood though playing an annoying Fox News-reminiscent political commentator in a number of intervals which don't fit with the tone of the rest of the movie. It's an origins story, which post Planet of the Apes means it must be slow paced and emotional; though whilst that film succeeded in bundles, Robocop ends up just being slow and boring. When the action all kicks off at the end it doesn't last very long and isnt particularly inspiring; there wouldn't be much wrong with watching 80mins of Robocop being built and tuned up in a laboratory if it led up to a worthwhile climax at the end, but unfortunately that just isn't the case here. I only watched it last night and already I can't remember much about the ending; he shot some ED-209's or something. Hopefully the sequel will be better.

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Scott

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Gone Girl (2014)

I saw this with my wife last weekend and it is intense, with a story that is fairly unsettling. It's based around Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) and whether or not he killed his wife (Rosamund Pike). She disappears one morning and all the clues point to him, but is he the killer? Is there something more sinister afoot? Will he break under the pressure of the media and the members of his town?

I really don't feel like I can share more without giving something away. It's incredibly well directed and acted. Rosamund Pike is amazing, and Affleck carries the entire movie playing an everyman who is put into an unmanageable situation. It is definitely a movie worth seeing, but be prepared to need some time afterward to process what you're feeling.

Follow me on Twitter: @ScottASpecht

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:52 am

Take This Waltz (2011)
A very modern romance which attempts to break from Holywood conventions by depicting the girl Margot (Michelle Williams) as already being happily married to a loving husband (Seth Rogan), but secretly in love with the neighbour across the street. Unlike the vast majority of rom-coms, here the viewer is posed with genuinely challenging questions of morality, with no set character(s) for which to root for, since arguably the character with the strongest affinity is the hard done by and oblivious husband. From the moment you meet Rogan's character it's clear that a typical happy ending to the conundrum will be difficult to achieve for Margot.

The threateningly deep sense of potential for emotional trauma however is consistently eschewed and kept mostly unsaid due to the quirkiness injected by the cast and the gorgeous setting of a leafy Montreal in the summer. It's a dark film at times but one that willfully hides the fact behind a facade of idiosyncratic jest and colour; much like the character of Margot herself.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:11 am

I watched Lucy yesterday.. I don't think she noticed 8-)

Too much, IMO, not even science fiction, it's whole premise is based on a false myth, but even if you ignore that, it's too much shit going on in the space of 90 mins.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:55 am

Lucy looks rubbish.

Have you seen Limitless, Matt? It shares the concept of 'unlocking the true potential of the mind' but does so with a decent storyline and has the infinitely watchable Bradley Cooper playing the lead.

I'm at the point of seriously considering a boycott of any movie with Morgan Freeman in it from now on, as he's so often such an utter waste of time to watch and is very rarely cast for any other reason than to add 'gravitas' and 'dignity' to an otherwise lightweight and undignified movie.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that Samuel L. Jackson is the most pointless actor in Hollywood, but Morgan Freeman gives him to run for his money in that regard I think.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

I've seen Limitless, and although it too is based on a false myth that humans only use 10% of their brain, all the pill does is improve his mental capabilities, unlike Lucy, where she becomes supernatural and is able to control matter and time travel.

I agree about Freeman too. He's become the go to guy to add a bit of rating to a movie.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Matt wrote:I watched Lucy yesterday.. I don't think she noticed 8-)

Too much, IMO, not even science fiction, it's whole premise is based on a false myth, but even if you ignore that, it's too much shit going on in the space of 90 mins.

When they talk about evolution I was excited at first, then the confusion started and doesn't make sense in the end.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:50 pm

marcus leong wrote:

When they talk about evolution I was excited at first, then the confusion started and doesn't make sense in the end.
spoiler - what about it? the USB drive. :laugh:

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:54 pm

watched Need for Speed last night - too long the car racing part doesn't have great soundtracks to add into those car chase. still below the Fast and Furious level.

Draft day - good setup but bad storyline and how the GMs got the picks and how the Browns can have better picks which isn't really believable.

Edge of Tomorrow - good sci-fi but somewhat the storyline is predictable and came from other sci-fi movies.

Ender's Game - is there a sequel of this? a good scifi movie, if you play starcraft or watch starship troopers, aliens look like big insects. :D

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

robertbrian23 wrote:
marcus leong wrote:

spoiler - what about it? the USB drive.  :laugh:
Idiotic TBH.

Return to “Members Lounge”