Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Sunday 17th December 2017, KO 14:15 UTC.
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Movies

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Nicholas Cage is absolutely brilliant now and again though.

Kickass, Bad Lieutenant, Matchstick Men, Adaptation, Captain Corelli, Bringing Out the Dead, Con Air, Leaving Las Vegas, Wild at Heart, Raising Arizona... great movies and great performances.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:45 am

ivandaman wrote:On the topic of obnoxious actors..  The one that I can't stand is Nicholas Cage, but for some reason producers give him roles in decent movies so often I'm forced to put up with his presence.

I think he's a horrible actor and his stage presence is annoying..
But is he good, or is he bad? Every actor is something.Robert Downey Jr., good, Jim Belushi, bad. Van Damme, the good kind of bad, Johnny Depp, the bad kind of good.There's a spectrum, and Cage is on it. I just have to find him.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 am

Bad Neighbours (2014)
A fairly run-of-the-mill comedy starring Seth Rogan and Zac Efron as neighbours at war with one another; the 30'something new parents and the 24hr party frat house next door. The visual gags are good though, the script is decent and it's a good laugh overall. If it's a toss-up between this and 22 Jump Street below then Bad Neighbours wins as it just feels tighter, better defined, more consistent and more witty.

22 Jump Street (2014)
More silly comedy, this time featuring Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill as they return to their roles as undercover cops for the sequel. It's a very self aware movie and is thus at its best when engaging in meta-gags aimed at the Holywood process; Jump Street chief Ice Cube instructs his charges during the opening act, "Everything is exactly the same as last time, I don't want you to do anything different, just do everything you did last time except with twice the budget and nobody will notice that you're not doing it as well as you did before..." Unfortunately his words ring too true throughout the movie, but it's okay anyway and worth a watch with a few beers.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (2012)
This two-part animated movie brings to life Frank Miller's seminal 1986 storyline in all its gory detail. Here Bruce Wayne is a 60yo retiree who must return to the cape when Gotham is faced with a new evil. The animation is superb and the tone gritty, violent and mature. At 150mins long this epic movie will please many Batman fans who're itching for more after the completion of Christopher Nolan's trilogy. Perhaps also it can serve as cause to be excited for the upcoming Batman vs Superman movie also as the Man of Steel features heavily in the second part.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:19 am

Has anyone watched The Congress? Very odd movie. But I enjoyed it.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 am

Is it about the actress in the future? I think I put it on my LoveFilm list last week.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:00 am

Yes it is.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

Yeah I'd never heard of it until a few days ago but it certainly sounds an interesting premise.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:15 pm

It's very weird, and it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I don't remember anything like it, and it was refreshing.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:12 pm

The Act of Killing (2012)
A chilling documentary which focuses on a group of perpetrators of the 1965/6 massacre of the 150,000+ Communist population of Indonesia; long-time gangsters, now old men yet remaining unpunished and for the most part unrepentant. These men describe their sadistic acts and are tasked by the filmmaker with the staging of various reenactments. The film stands as a rare glance into the minds of some of the world's most prolific killers; the primary focus for example, one Ashwar Congo, a gang-leader encouraged by the Indonesian military to interrogate and exterminate suspected communists, claims to have tortured and killed over 1,000 people during the period. To many Indonesians these men are heroes, but their candid confessions nevertheless reveal haunted dreams.

The Lego Movie (2014)
A decent family adventure. I found it to be pretty funny and not necessarily aimed at kids. There's a Toy Story element to it regarding the Lego World existing inside the real world which wasn't entirely original but was interesting nevertheless. There's nothing particularly special or memorable about the movie but I think most people would enjoy watching it as the lego looks cool and the script is sharp and witty without a whole lot of pointless moralising.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I know that seems an odd pair of films to review together, but meh, such is my viewing habits.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 am

Dante wrote:
ivandaman wrote:On the topic of obnoxious actors..  The one that I can't stand is Nicholas Cage, but for some reason producers give him roles in decent movies so often I'm forced to put up with his presence.

I think he's a horrible actor and his stage presence is annoying..
But is he good, or is he bad? Every actor is something.Robert Downey Jr., good, Jim Belushi, bad. Van Damme, the good kind of bad, Johnny Depp, the bad kind of good.There's a spectrum, and Cage is on it. I just have to find him.

Remind me of a segment from " community"
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:06 am

Watched Joe yesterday. Bit slow but the story and performances were good.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:30 am

I've got that downloaded. I don't know anything about it tbh.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Cage was good in it.

It's a bit anticlimactic TBF, but the story and drama's good.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:43 am

Step Up: All in - few notches below than the previous movie iterations.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 am

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio, what could go wrong? Very little, it seems, as both are back to their best in this cracking biopic of the life and crimes of the Wall Street party animal Jordan Belfort. DiCaprio is absolutely outstanding in the lead role as the high-flying, drug addicted playboy; I don't think there's another actor in Holywood that can bring such energy and adrenaline to a movie as does Leonardo DiCaprio —perhaps Matthew McConaughey, who himself has a cameo here. Playing the lead's equally as insane best friend and business partner Donnie, Jonah Hill is a joy to watch. It's a movie in which almost every character is acting a complete arsehole almost all of the time, so it cannot have been easy making them all so likeable, but Scorsese pulls it off with aplomb and manages to give the black comedy genre a truly epic feel, deserving of every minute of its three hour run-time.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am

Maverick McKillshark wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio, what could go wrong? Very little, it seems, as both are back to their best in this cracking biopic of the life and crimes of the Wall Street party animal Jordan Belfort. DiCaprio is absolutely outstanding in the lead role as the high-flying, drug addicted playboy; I don't think there's another actor in Holywood that can bring such energy and adrenaline to the movie as does Leonardo DiCaprio —perhaps Matthew McConaughey, who himself has a cameo here. Playing the lead's equally as insane best friend and business partner Donnie, Jonah Hill is a joy to watch. It's a movie in which almost every character is acting a complete arsehole almost all of the time, so it cannot have been easy making them all so likeable, but Scorsese pulls it off with aplomb and manages to give the black comedy genre a truly epic feel, deserving of every minute of its three hour run-time.
The scene where Dicaprio crawl into his car in the club was unbelievable.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Call Me: Rumpole

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:53 am

I found that film had great individual performances and cinematography, but the storyline was lacking.
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Call Me: Ashwin

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:51 pm

I've been waiting for Interstellar to be released for over a year now. It hits the theatre in about 2 weeks time. A Christopher Nolan movie is always worth the anticipation and the wait!
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Recently watched - The Purge: Anarchy, Hercules and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
The Purge: Anarchy - i think the previous one was a little bit better but story line is really crap on how this scriptwriters come up with this.
Percy Jackson - love greek mythology not the best but HBO Go have it for free so no complaints.
Hercules - the Rock again. but who else is the popular choice to be Hercules. so and so.

Would try to watch Anabelle later.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 pm

The Experiment (2010)
The America remake of the 2001 German film 'Das Experiment', itself based upon the real events in 1971 of the Stanford prison experiment in America. After reading a great book The Lucifer Effect about the real experiment, I was interested in seeing this film, but also kinda disinclined to bother as I imagined it wouldn't be very good. Unfortunately the latter was certainly the case as despite having a great cast (Adrien Brody, Forest Whitaker, Clifton Collins Jr.) the script was awful and the story pushed wholly beyond any accuracy or even moderate plausibility. Making the film in this way was particularly stupid as the true events were shocking enough without the need for silly embellishments, and in altering the story to accommodate Hollywood tastes the filmmakers have rendered it nowhere near as interesting of as meaningful as the source material.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Wasn't sure about that one either. Good premise, bad execution.

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Book sounds interesting
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Matt wrote:Wasn't sure about that one either. Good premise, bad execution.
If you're interested I suggest you read that book.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Mushy peas wrote:Book sounds interesting
It's a great book and one I think everyone ought to read as it gives a very good insight into human morality and how quickly essentially good people can be made to commit awful acts of cruelty given the right circumstances. The account of the events of the experiment is very detailed.

The movie attempts to convey some of the above but fails miserably due to a inescapable inclination towards being a typical psychological thriller.

If you want to watch an actually very good film in a similar vein check out the British movie Exam which released in the same year. If you liked The Cube (and who didn't?) you'll certainly like this one.

Return to “Members Lounge”