Loading...
Next Match: Image
West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
Sunday 17th December 2017, KO 14:15 UTC.
User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:55 pm

robertbrian23 wrote:Ender's Game - is there a sequel of this? a good scifi movie, if you play starcraft or watch starship troopers, aliens look like big insects. :D
We discussed Ender's Game at the start of the thread.

There won't be a sequel unless it's independent from Scott Card's novels.


Maverick McKillshark wrote:No they won't be making any more of the Ender novels into movies. The sequels are written to a different style entirely with Ender depicted as a widened old man. There's nothing for Hollywood to work with beyond the first book in the series.

Whilst Ender's Game (the movie) presents a reasonable synopsis of the storyline, it completely fails to capture the brilliant internal characterisation inherent in Scott Card's text. The sequels take that brilliant writing ten steps further, but present it in a setting entirely sans the sci-fi movie type action scenes apparent in the first book.


HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5961
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am
Call Me: Ben

Re: Movies

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Lucy looks rubbish.

Have you seen Limitless, Matt? It shares the concept of 'unlocking the true potential of the mind' but does so with a decent storyline and has the infinitely watchable Bradley Cooper playing the lead.

I'm at the point of seriously considering a boycott of any movie with Morgan Freeman in it from now on, as he's so often such an utter waste of time to watch and is very rarely cast for any other reason than to add 'gravitas' and 'dignity' to an otherwise lightweight and undignified movie.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that Samuel L. Jackson is the most pointless actor in Hollywood, but Morgan Freeman gives him to run for his money in that regard I think.
there seems to be an underlying theme to your dislike of these actors.

for the record I did not mean to like this post so could the mods remove it please?
"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:40 pm

What theme? That they're each black? Don't be an arsehole.

Thanks for the rep. I have loads more than you.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
Posts: 5244
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:25 am
Call Me: Ashwin

Re: Movies

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Relly wrote:
Maverick McKillshark wrote:Lucy looks rubbish.

Have you seen Limitless, Matt? It shares the concept of 'unlocking the true potential of the mind' but does so with a decent storyline and has the infinitely watchable Bradley Cooper playing the lead.

I'm at the point of seriously considering a boycott of any movie with Morgan Freeman in it from now on, as he's so often such an utter waste of time to watch and is very rarely cast for any other reason than to add 'gravitas' and 'dignity' to an otherwise lightweight and undignified movie.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that Samuel L. Jackson is the most pointless actor in Hollywood, but Morgan Freeman gives him to run for his money in that regard I think.
there seems to be an underlying theme to your dislike of these actors.

for the record I did not mean to like this post so could the mods remove it please?
Done.
“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Rats!
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5961
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am
Call Me: Ben

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 am

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Rats!
Great success!

Quick, Denzel Washington, your thoughts...
"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:48 pm
Call Me: Christy

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 am

Freeman makes through the wormhole pretty sexy
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 am

Relly wrote:Quick, Denzel Washington, your thoughts...
He's one of my favourite actors without doubt. I wasn't so sure about him earlier in his career, but over the last ten years I can't think of a movie of his I didn't like, whilst countless movies have been made golden by his presence alone.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 7513
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Call Me: Matthew

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:01 am

Book of Eli was a bit meh...
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 am

Haven't seen that one tbh.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Matt wrote:Book of Eli was a bit meh...

The search for bible story ?
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 7513
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Call Me: Matthew

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:26 pm

marcus leong wrote:
Matt wrote:Book of Eli was a bit meh...

The search for bible story ?
I would have said you ruined the ending for those that haven't seen it. But it was pretty obvious.

It was also very cheesy.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 pm

The ending was not logic imo
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 7513
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Call Me: Matthew

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:33 pm

I don't remember the details. Why do you say that?

Most movies lack logic though.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

User avatar
Redlyn
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:05 pm
Call Me: Lyn

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Didnt like it either. Not that a big a fan of Denzel, like I wouldnt gravitate to a movie because he is in it.
I would for Tom cruise and brad pitt, matt damon. I like their movie choices.

Samuel L jackson IS indeed a bit pointless lol.
It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

User avatar
Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 7513
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Call Me: Matthew

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Redlyn wrote:Didnt like it either. Not that a big a fan of Denzel, like I wouldnt gravitate to a movie because he is in it.
I would for Tom cruise and  brad pitt, matt damon. I like their movie choices.

Samuel L jackson IS indeed a bit pointless lol.
I'd watch a movie if Brad Pitt, Sean Penn or Di Caprio are in it. Or anything Tarantino touches.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Tarantino works very well with Samuel L. Jackson, that kinda goes without saying I suppose, but other than Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Django I find him as just being very annoying to watch as he consistently fails to make a character convincing rather than just appearing as being Samuel L. Jackson acting as part.

He was good in Unthinkable though.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Matt wrote:I don't remember the details. Why do you say that?

Most movies lack logic though.

They only reveals him as blind in the end right ? Ridiculous I thought
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Redlyn wrote:Didnt like it either. Not that a big a fan of Denzel, like I wouldnt gravitate to a movie because he is in it.
I would for Tom cruise and  brad pitt, matt damon. I like their movie choices.

Samuel L jackson IS indeed a bit pointless lol.
I'd watch a movie if Brad Pitt, Sean Penn or Di Caprio are in it. Or anything Tarantino touches.
For me is Dicaprio and Tom Hanks. Uncle Tom consistently awesome all these years.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:27 pm

marcus leong wrote:They only reveals him as blind in the end right ? Ridiculous I thought
Don't intentionally spoil films, please.
HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

User avatar
Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Posts: 7513
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:14 pm
Call Me: Matthew

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:39 pm

My bad, I asked for an explanation. But didn't think that the blind bit was what he found illogical.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

User avatar
marcus leong
Referee
Referee
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Movies

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Should have use the spoiler tag, sorry
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

User avatar
robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 4187
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:34 am
Call Me: Rob

Re: Movies

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:58 pm

just finished watching Jersey Boys - a good movie but typical on all bands. going into their peak then a conflict of interest then disband then would get a reunion thing.

User avatar
Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:09 am
Call Me: Rumpole

Re: Movies

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Just watched a few good men. Pretty good film; the famous line is actually not the height of that scene
LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Image
Rumpole of the Lounge

User avatar
ivandaman
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:13 am
Call Me: Da-Man-Ivan

Re: Movies

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:22 pm

On the topic of obnoxious actors.. The one that I can't stand is Nicholas Cage, but for some reason producers give him roles in decent movies so often I'm forced to put up with his presence.

I think he's a horrible actor and his stage presence is annoying..
To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Return to “Members Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dante