Next Match: Image
Basel in the Champions League.
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, KO 19:45 UTC.
robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Re: Movies

Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Watched Focus. Starring Will Smith. A good movie but became anticlimactic starting the middle going to the end. Poor man's Ocean's 11 for me.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Watched Chappie. I was expecting a terminator type of story but it was not. Nice take on AI robot. Don't really like the ending though, to me it was illogical.
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:50 am

Just watched the Theory of Everything. Didn't know that Frank Leboeuf was in it. :o

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:27 am

Leboeuf from France?

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:39 am

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:05 am

Yes. He played the Swiss doctor.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Matthew

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:35 am

Interstellar was great (Y)
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Matt wrote:Interstellar was great (Y)
Agree.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:51 pm

robertbrian23 wrote:Watched Focus. Starring Will Smith. A good movie but became anticlimactic starting the middle going to the end. Poor man's Ocean's 11 for me.
I think the idea was good but it just lacked that punch, a bit meh.

Big hero 6 on the other hand was great (Y)

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0 wrote:
robertbrian23 wrote:Watched Focus. Starring Will Smith. A good movie but became anticlimactic starting the middle going to the end. Poor man's Ocean's 11 for me.
I think the idea was good but it just lacked that punch, a bit meh.

Big hero 6 on the other hand was great  (Y)
haven't watch Big Hero 6.. Will try over the weekend.

Anyone hyped for Fast and Furious 7 next week?

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Big Hero 6 is fairly shit.

Redlyn
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Lyn

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:50 am

12 Angry men 1957. Been watching a lot of classics.
About 12 jurors required to produce a unanimous verdict on the guilt of an 18 yr old murder suspect. Interesting enough.
It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:52 am

It's been a while since I've updated this as I've been mostly watching The Walking Dead and House of Cards for the past couple of months. Here are the movies I've seen recently though in brief:

Imitation Game (2014)
The Benedict Cumberbatch film biopic of the life of British scientist Alan Turing, focusing primarily on the 2nd World War era and Turing's work with the Enigma Machine. The obvious comparison here is with The Theory of Everything as either film biographies the life of a legendary British scientist, were each released around the same time and each received considerable attention at the Oscar ceremonies. In short: The Imitation Game is the better film of the two for me. The strong cast here is all well and good (with the exception of the invariably shit Keira Knightley) but it's Cumberbatch's portrayal of the socially retarded closet homosexual genius which really makes the film shine throughout. This is a good film without ever being particularly outstanding, nor trying to be really, it simply tells Turing's ultimately tragic story and gets the job done well with a brilliant actor on board.

Children of Men (2006)
On the other hand, here is an outstanding film. I'd not seen Children of Men before after unfortunately missing it on release and just never getting around to it afterwards, but I'm very pleased to have finally put the time in. Ten years later it hasn't aged at all and if anything I'd say that the storyline is far more relevant and poignant today than it was even back then; it's a good time to watch Children of Men. A British post-apocalyptic vision of true originality is what you get with a great cast and script with notable performances from Clive Owen and Michael Caine. The action orientated set-pieces are truly stunning to behold and frequently depicted in long, continuous shots with multitudes of stunt-extras, heavy on gritty realism. If you haven't seen it then watch it now and if you have already then surely this is worth a second viewing. Truly one of the best British movies ever made.

Frozen (2013)
I put this on for Minnie-Mae one afternoon and was also fairly eager to see what all the fuss was about myself. Not much to say on this one really. It's quite good. The songs are catchy (as you'll already know) and the characters and storyline are colorful and interesting enough. I don't quite see why little girls worldwide are so insanely obsessed with this particular movie over the host of similar offerings available as there's seemingly nothing original here, but still, it isn't bad, it held the baby's attention and she certainly enjoyed dressing up like a princess and dancing around when the songs came on.

Frank (2014)
A mostly odd film, just the right side of quirky with a dark and intense undercurrent to the cartoony depiction of the main cast of characters. Frank (Michael Fassbender) is the lead singer in a post-modern electro-rock band, joined by chance by a young British keyboard player who subsequently struggles to adapt to the insanity that unfolds as they hide away in secluded retreat and attempt to record their new album. Despite its comic appearance this is ultimately a sad story of artistic struggle, social acceptance and mental health. A stark contrast between the vibrant, colourful and yet nevertheless rather bleak relationships develops as the story draws on and takes us on tour with the band in America. You have too be in the mood for it, but it is an interesting watch.

Blended (2014)
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore reunite for a new rom-com based upon the love/hate relationship between a widowed man with three daughters who meets a divorced woman with two sons on a disastrous blind date at Hooters one afternoon. The sevensome inadvertently go on holiday to Africa together where lion's share of the movie is set. All the outright silliness of a traditional Sandler movie is present here (something I'm not really keen on), but it works well despite that, with a sharp and witty script, great chemistry between the two leads and a funny cast of children to give this otherwise somewhat dated comedy a fresher 'Modern Family'-esque charm.

Extraterrestrial (2014)
I don't know if this film was genuinely shite or actually rather good. It's basically an 80's slasher with Roswell aliens, five American teens harassed to death in an isolated log cabin. Fortunately it doesn't take itself seriously at all and makes no attempt to avoid the accepted clichés of the genre. The 2012 movie 'The Cabin in the Woods' is very similar and infinitely better, but if you have the patience for throwbacks like this then you might still enjoy Extraterrestrial as long as you also enjoy a few beers whilst watching. I'm really not a fan of the 'so bad it's good' genre, and this film really is bad, but there was something here I liked nevertheless and... no, fornicate it, don't waste your time, just watch something better.

St. Vincent (2014)
A story lifted from Jackass: Bad Grandpa with Bill Murray starring as Johnny Knoxville. You know what to expect. It's fairly easy viewing and the comedy ranges from okay to good. Bill Murray plays the role with his typical excellence though and thus his presence alone raises this film a worthwhile degree above average. You'll probably really like it, I know I did, but will you remember it for very long? Probably not.

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Watched Fast and Furious 7 last night.

I have to say they did a great job with the storyline etc after having to alter parts due to Paul Walker's death. A very nice tribute at the end as well - the wife was balling her eyes out.

The movie itself was as expected - Action packed, great stunts and some pretty ridiculous and silly scenes but you know what to expect going into seeing it - definite popcorn movie which i enjoyed.
Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:20 pm

Paul Walker, man. Boy, could he act!

I thought he was just incredible in The Fast & The Furious, Turbo Charged: Prelude to 2 Fast 2 Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Fast & Furious, Fast & Furious 5, Fast & Furious 6 and Fast & Furious 7.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Fast & Furious 7 was just a superb tribute to Paul Walker, I enjoyed it
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player
Call Me: Christy

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Hats off to them that they could make seven films. I've only seen the first two and can't say I'd like to venture past that to be honest. Only so much brum I can take unless it's this fellow:
FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:08 pm

I've had the misfortune of seeing a couple of the later ones, most recently Fast & Furious 6 when my missus' 12yo nephew came to stay last week.

Absolute garbage.

TBH I really liked the first film, it was an original concept and very well shot for the times. Fifteen years later though and, Christ, it's getting embarrassing. I wouldn't say that fans of the series are quite on par with adult WWE fans, but it's certainly a fornicate close call.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Anyway...

The Canal (2014)
I find myself sitting through quite a few stupid horror movies, always with the hope that 'you never know, maybe this one will actually be somewhat scary'. Insidious was shit, The Conjuring and Livid each lost their way to CGI half way through, The Awakening was too nice, Oculous was too contrived, The Babadook tried hard but never quite amounted to anything; there are countless examples of okayish horror movies that ultimately just make you laugh rather than recoil in fright and lose sleep. It's worth persevering though as every now and then something comes along which does indeed provide quite a disturbing experience. For me personally at least, The Canal nailed it.

I won't give much away about the story, but needless to say it's a haunted house/crazed occupant thing, not all that original in its plot, but good enough, and that doesn't matter really as it's atmosphere and tension makes a good horror, and this film has a nice big bag of each.

The Canal does everything right in keeping the special effects to the absolute minimum and relying instead on its own outright creepiness for impact, just as all the great horror movies do as equally as all the shit ones don't. The setting feels close to home and personal; there's no massive mansion in the woods here, this is something that could happen to anybody — it's something that could happen to you! By the time of the final reel my girlfriend literally couldn't watch, she found it to be just too disturbing at one point in particular and hid behind her cushion.

I don't want to hype it up anymore really at the risk of spoiling it if you're expecting too much. It's a small story in many ways with a sparse but capable cast including the excellent Steve Oram playing a jaded detective and the girl who played Jack Dee's daughter in Lead Balloon. I don't know who the guy who plays the lead role is but he does well here. Just watch it and see what you think: I recommend it highly.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 pm

phpBB [video]

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 am

Maverick McKillshark wrote:I've had the misfortune of seeing a couple of the later ones, most recently Fast & Furious 6 when my missus' 12yo nephew came to stay last week.

Absolute garbage.

TBH I really liked the first film, it was an original concept and very well shot for the times. Fifteen years later though and, Christ, it's getting embarrassing. I wouldn't say that fans of the series are quite on par with adult WWE fans, but it's certainly a fornicate close call.
To be fair...........i didnt really like the original ones all that much, once it hit 4 or 5 - the frachise changed into street racing to a Heist with fast cars. They are cheap and entertaining and are not meant to be serious

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:02 am

A picture of Jared Leto as Joker for the 2016 DC Suicide Squad movie:

[img]http://blogs-images.forbes.com/markhugh ... quad-1.png[/img]

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 am

Jurassic World, Terminator, Star Wars and Batman V Superman

I dont think ive ever been so excited about a series of films - we have went back in time.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:56 am

Jurassic World looks so shit.

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 pm

I think they'll ruin Terminator but im looking forward to Jurassic World - ive enjoyed the franchise so hoping for it to be pretty good.

Return to “Members Lounge”