Next Match: Image
Newcastle in the Premier League.
Saturday 18th November 2017, KO 17:30 UTC.
RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach
Call Me: Ste

Re: Politics thread

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 pm

So on June 8 there's going to be a General Election!! :o

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 pm

RedSte wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 pm
So on June 8 there's going to be a General Election!! :o
Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 pm

God it's going to be a depressing few months.

Emperor May is too scared to do any debates as well.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Gideon has quit. Obviously he'll be replaced by another slimeball, but still, the biggest contributors to degraded living standards over the last decade are out of Parliament.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:57 pm

yes but that is a hollow victory as the same pernicious policies will continue apace with an enhanced Tory majority :(

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 am

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.my/20 ... o.html?m=1

How many of Jeremy Corbyn's policies do you actually disagree with?

Ban companies based in tax havens bidding for government contracts
It's astounding that this isn't the case already. How on earth could anyone even attempt to justify taxpayers' cash being paid to companies based in tax havens for the purpose of dodging tax?

£10 minimum wage for all workers over the age of 18
The UK is the only country in the developed world where workers' wages are declining in real terms, while the economy is actually growing. A £10 minimum wage would help to reverse this scenario, and it would also significantly reduce the cost of in-work benefits like tax credits and housing benefit (most of which goes to working families these days).

All rented accommodation to be fit for human habitation
Again, astounding that this isn't the case already, but in January 2016 the Tories (over 1/3 of whom are landlords) deliberately voted down a Labour Party amendment to their housing bill to ensure that all rented accommodation is fit for human habitation.

Renationalise the railways
This is a very popular policy that is supported by an overwhelming majority of the public. Do you support rail renationalisation too, or are you one of the minority who think that the current shambles is acceptable?

Renationalise the NHS
The Tory party have been carving up the English NHS and distributing the pieces to the private sector, Jeremy Corbyn has pledged to reverse this process. Are you one of the 84% of people who thinks the NHS should be run as a not for profit public service, or the 7% who agree with the ongoing Tory privatisation agenda?

Free school meals
The policy of providing free school meals to all school children between the ages of 4 and 11 is based on evidence based research showing that universal free school meals lead to significantly improved grades. It will be paid for by ending the generous tax breaks (public subsidies) for the 7% of kids who go to private fee-paying schools.

Create a National Education Service
Jeremy Corbyn believes that education is a right, not a commodity. He wants to create an integrated National Education Service to ensure that education is freely available to anyone who needs it. 

Scrap tuition fees
Thanks to the Tories (and their Lib-Dem enablers) UK students now face the most expensive tuition fees in the industrialised world for study at public universities, meaning students typically leave university with £50,000 of debt, and two thirds of them will never pay off their student debts. Labour would end this lunacy by getting rid of student fees.

Restore NHS Bursaries
One of the first things Theresa My did when she came to power was to scrap NHS bursaries for nurses and other NHS workers. This removal of financial support for nurses has caused a huge 10,000 decline in the number of applicants to nursing courses. This collapse in nursing recruitment would be bad enough in its own right, but in combination with a record increase in the number of EU nurses quitting the NHS and a mind-boggling 92% fall in nursing recruitment from EU countries, the UK is clearly facing a massive NHS recruitment crisis. Labour would reverse this calamitous state of affairs by restoring NHS Bursaries for trainee nurses.

Increase the carers allowance
Labour are proposing to increase the Carers Allowance for the 1 million unpaid carers in the UK. This would be paid for by scrapping the Tories' Inheritance Tax cut for millionaires. Unpaid carers save the UK economy an estimated £132 million a year, and they're doing ever more work as a result of the £4.6 billion in Tory cuts to the social care budget.

Create a National Investment Bank
This is actually one of Jeremy Corbyn's best policies, but few people actually understand it. It's absolutely clear that allowing private banks to determine where money is invested ends up in huge speculative bubbles in housing and financial derivatives, while the real economy is starved of cash. A National Investment Bank would work by investing in things like infrastructure, services, businesses and regional development projects, and would end up becoming a kind of sovereign wealth fund for the UK.

End the public sector pay freeze
Under Tory rule UK workers suffered the longest sustained decline in real wages since records began. The public sector pay freeze contributed massively to this. You'd have to be economically illiterate to imagine that repressing public sector wages with below inflation pay rises for year after year would not exert downwards pressure on private sector wages too. Ending the public sector pay freeze would actually boost the economy by putting more money in people's pockets, meaning an increase in aggregate demand.

End sweetheart tax deals between HMRC and massive corporations
David Cameron (the son of a tax-dodger) repeatedly lied through his teeth about how serious he was about confronting tax-dodging, whilst allowing HMRC to concoct sweetheart deals with corporations like Google, Vodafone and Starbucks. One of the main reasons the corporate press are so strongly opposed to Jeremy Corbyn is that they know that unlike David Cameron, he's serious when he talks about clamping down on tax-dodging.

Stop major corporations ripping off their suppliers
Major corporations are withholding an astounding £26 billion through late payment, which is responsible for an estimated 50,000 small businesses going bust every year. The scale of this problem is so massive that it should be a national scandal, and Jeremy Corbyn is absolutely right to align himself with small businesses to defend their interests. 

Reverse the Tory corporation tax cuts
Since 2010 the Tories have cut the rate of corporation tax for major multinational corporations from 28% to just 17% (by 2020) meaning the UK has one of the lowest corporation tax rates in the developed world. The global average is 27% and the G7 average is 32.3%. Theresa May has already threatened to lower the corporation tax even further to turn post-brexit Britiain into a tax haven economy, Corbyn is proposing to do the opposite and increase corporation tax rates so they're more in line with the rest of the developed world.

Defend Human Rights
Theresa May has repeatedly expressed her intention to tear up Winston Churchill's finest legacy, the European Convention on Human Rights. Labour would oppose this Tory attack on our human rights.

Zero Hours Contracts ban
Almost a million UK workers are now on exploitative Zero Hours Contracts. Last year the New Zealand parliament voted to ban them, and Labour is proposing to do the same. Long-term employees and workers doing regular hours would be protected from Zero Hours Contract exploitation.

Holding the Tories to account over Brexit
Labour have said that they won't block Brexit, but they will seek to hold the Tories to account over it. A landslide Tory victory would be a disaster for the UK because it would allow Theresa May to pursue the most right-wing pro-corporate anti-worker Brexit possible with almost no democratic scrutiny. The only way to make sure the Tories don't push a fanatically right-wing Brexit on the nation is to ensure that there are plenty of opposition MPs to hold them to account.

Housebuilding
Under the Tory government the level of UK housebuilding has slumped to the lowest levels since the 1920s, even though demand for housing is extremely high. Labour are guaranteeing to invest in a programme of housebuilding, and committing to ensure that half of the new houses are social housing. This wouldn't just alleviate the housing crisis, it would also stimulate the economy by increasing aggregate demand.

Combat inequality
George Osborne's ideological austerity agenda resulted in the longest sustained decline in workers' wages since records began and condemned an additional 400,000 children to growing up in poverty, meanwhile the tiny super-rich majority literally doubled their wealth. Labour is pledging to reduce the inequality gap and introduce progressive policies to reduce the gap between the incomes of the highest and lowest paid. There is plenty of evidence to show that the least unequal societies are more economically successful places where the people are happier.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:11 pm

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 pm

"strong and stable"

and

"coalition chaos"

if I had a shot every time I heard the Tories use those phrases, I'd be more pissed than Oliver Reed ever was!!

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Re: RE: Re: Politics thread

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 am

Dante wrote:Image

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 am

So Trump's first 100days just past. Surely even his supporters are not happy with his performence?

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 pm

I expect they will all be delighted (except for the Foreign policy interventions). He is after all the messiah, and anything that he DOSENT do is autoatically the fault of the "Washington Elite" (of which he of course has no part :P ) and the fake news media :P :P

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 am

RedSte wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 pm
I expect they will all be delighted (except for the Foreign policy interventions). He is after all the messiah, and anything that he DOSENT do is autoatically the fault of the "Washington Elite" (of which he of course has no part :P ) and the fake news media :P :P
Haha...politics nowadays does feel that way. You'll support "your team" no matter what they do.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Ben

Wed May 03, 2017 11:20 am

Just like his haters will never acknowledge any good he's done. It makes the whole discussion pointless, which is why you never see me talk about it anymore.
"Make America Great Again!"

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Wed May 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Relly wrote:
Just like his haters will never acknowledge any good he's done. It makes the whole discussion pointless, which is why you never see me talk about it anymore.
That's a very bad generalization as usual. What good have he done? Healthcare? Wall? Immigration?

FYI so called progressive agree with him to cancel TPPA.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Thu May 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Relly wrote:
That's how I feel generally, though I'd be interested in seeing what you feel he has done so far that has been good.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 am

Dante wrote:
Relly wrote:
That's how I feel generally, though I'd be interested in seeing what you feel he has done so far that has been good.
I think politics can be that way everywhere.

It is the same for Obama. People that love him can't see no flaw and people that hate him cant see any good.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Incognito

Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

marcus leong wrote:
Dante wrote:
Relly wrote:

It is the same for Obama. People that love him can't see no flaw and people that hate him cant see any good.
Yes it can. I've added my 100 cents here but I think I should have stopped at 50. I never feel complete after having an exhausting exchange only to find out I could have achieved same by saying nothing.

Donald Trump has surprised me. He has actually changed. He's now rich(er), better uninformed with a thicker coat of hubris. Perhaps this is all an act but then when is he going to start leading from the front instead of twitter, where he's unrestrained?
God Bless the United States!
"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 pm

RED3bution wrote:
marcus leong wrote:
Dante wrote:

Yes it can. I've added my 100 cents here but I think I should have stopped at 50. I never feel complete after having an exhausting exchange only to find out I could have achieved same by saying nothing.

Donald Trump has surprised me. He has actually changed. He's now rich(er), better uninformed with a thicker coat of hubris. Perhaps this is all an act but then when is he going to start leading from the front instead of twitter, where he's unrestrained?
Don't let that stop the discussion.

I just can't see how his "healthcare reform" won't anger even his supporters. It just goes against everything he promised and will screw them personally.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 pm

DAILY MAIL - LOL

You couldnt make it up!

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu May 11, 2017 12:18 am

marcus leong wrote:
RED3bution wrote:
marcus leong wrote:

I just can't see how his "healthcare reform" won't anger even his supporters. It just goes against everything he promised and will screw them personally.
Of course hes richer. he now gets to take his holidays on tax payers money rather than his own, and sack FBI directors investigating his dodgy deals despite getting him into office to begin with
"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Barry

Thu May 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Sandies wrote:
Of course hes richer. he now gets to take his holidays on tax payers money rather than his own, and sack FBI directors investigating his dodgy deals despite getting him into office to begin with
Every petty dictator deserves the right to appoint the head of their own Secret Police.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Can Labour win?
Make football fabulous again!

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 pm

NO :(

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 pm

RedSte wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 pm
NO :(
So another term of Theresa May? No wonder she called for election.

marcus leong
Referee
Referee

Sat May 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Sandies wrote:
marcus leong wrote:
RED3bution wrote: Yes it can. I've added my 100 cents here but I think I should have stopped at 50. I never feel complete after having an exhausting exchange only to find out I could have achieved same by saying nothing.

This is interesting, ‘The Dubious Friends of Donald Trump, Part 1: The Russians.'”. I've just watched part one, will finish part two later.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/watch-e ... w.facebook

Return to “Members Lounge”