Next Match: Image
Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League.
Saturday 25th November 2017, KO 15:00 UTC.
Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The console & gaming thread

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:57 pm

The Xbox interface is actually very good, many requested new features have been added and others tweaked on a monthly basis since release, it's practically been community designed by this point. It's especially sweet if you have Kinect.

It's being entirely revamped with the release of Windows 10 anyway though.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:05 pm

t.d. wrote:Microsoft at E3 say it will be possible to play 360 games on the One. Just an utter daft idea not to have done this as standard, but at least it'll now be possible. And to me it ties in with their 'One' philosophy; I don't want two consoles!
The lack of backward compatibility wasn't a daft idea really, it just wasn't possible until very recently with word being that they've only just figured out how to do it. With the move towards PC friendly architecture in the current generation nobody thought backwards compatibility would ever be a thing, yet Microsoft have somehow managed to pull it off and for that you can only applaud them. As an Xbox One owner who sorely misses Marvel vs Capcom 3 it's incredible news.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:The Xbox interface is actually very good, many requested new features have been added and others tweaked on a monthly basis since release, it's practically been community designed by this point. It's especially sweet if you have Kinect.

It's being entirely revamped with the release of Windows 10 anyway though.
Mate, I've got one, and it's utter gash. It might suck you off if you have Kinect, but most people bought one without it. It's little wonder it's getting a radical overhaul.

As for BC, the somehow is they built an emulator, which is the same thing they did for 360.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 pm

It was designed for use with Kinect.

They have indeed built an emulator. It's something few thought possible and some still stand by that assertion. If it truly works to an acceptable standard then that'll be one hell of an emulator.

What's your GamerTag btw?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:03 am

Diluted Dante.

I think it's less that people thought it possible, and more people didn't think it probable. Stuff like Xenia has managed to run a bunch of games, so I'm sure that Microsoft, if they wanted to could get it running to the same standard as the 360 did with the Oldbox. It's just not really been in their interest to before now. I don't think it's a co-incidence that they have brought this out in the face of continued struggles against Sony.

By the way, I'm not sure if you'll be able to play Marvel Vs Capcom on your One. Capcoms license with Marvel expired, and as a result, the game was pulled from digital storefronts. Obviously you can still re-download on your Xbox 360, but it's not clear if games like that would be able to play on the One. Capcom might not be able to give it the nod.

I know the interface was designed to be used with Kinect - this is precisely why it's fornicate awful.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 am

Shit I never thought of that, I forgot about the licence expiring. Are still able to download the game on 360 if you've previously bought a digital copy though? If so then it ought to still be available to people with a physical copy on Xbox One? I dunno though.

The problem with Xenia is that it's a real shitty emulator. The difference in architecture between a 360 and a PC is vast, as similarly is vast difference between 360 and Xbox One. The 360 and the original Xbox were much more closely related. There's no reason Microsoft wouldn't have been keen to offer backwards compatibility had they been able to do so before now; it really is a huge breakthrough if they've managed it as well as they claim.

I don't see how you can complain about an interface designed for use with Kinect if you knew it was designed thus and yet didn't get the Kinect. Microsoft always made it quite clear that Kinect was central to the console's operation. They only began shipping units sans the Kinect last summer because the community demanded that they do so; if you made the choice to hamper your experience this way then you've only yourself to blame imo.

The new dash redesign will be even more Kinect friendly as it now has Cortana central to the experience. Voice controls are such a quality addition to home console functionality that I don't think one can be justified in opting out against recommendation and then complaining that the system seems primarily designed to be used with them.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 am

So anyway, has anyone ever played tropico? I played a bit yesterday and got really carried away didn't realise how much time went by
100% Top Red

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:48 am

Never tried it. Not really my style.

I've heard it's a very good dictator simulation, is that fair and accurate?

newsfootspot
New Signing
New Signing

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:13 am

Last news

http://goo.gl/Mwj28U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:23 am

Final Fantasy 7?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh my god!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:31 am

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Shit I never thought of that, I forgot about the licence expiring. Are still able to download the game on 360 if you've previously bought a digital copy though? If so then it ought to still be available to people with a physical copy on Xbox One? I dunno though.
The way it works isn't like the Xbox 360 or the original PS3's for some reason. The rights holders have to approve it, and some games like MvC are in a grey area. I guess because it download it, even when you put in a disc. I'm, in the same boat with Robotron.
Maverick McKillshark wrote:The problem with Xenia is that it's a real shitty emulator. The difference in architecture between a 360 and a PC is vast, as similarly is vast difference between 360 and Xbox One. The 360 and the original Xbox were much more closely related. There's no reason Microsoft wouldn't have been keen to offer backwards compatibility had they been able to do so before now; it really is a huge breakthrough if they've managed it as well as they claim.
It is, but that's because it's a hobby project. I'm not quite sure how closely related Pentium 3 and Xenon actually are, my impression was that Xenon, as a Power PC based chip was significantly different from the Oldbox's P3.
Maverick McKillshark wrote:I don't see how you can complain about an interface designed for use with Kinect if you knew it was designed thus and yet didn't get the Kinect. Microsoft always made it quite clear that Kinect was central to the console's operation. They only began shipping units sans the Kinect last summer because the community demanded that they do so; if you made the choice to hamper your experience this way then you've only yourself to blame imo.

The new dash redesign will be even more Kinect friendly as it now has Cortana central to the experience. Voice controls are such a quality addition to home console functionality that I don't think one can be justified in opting out against recommendation and then complaining that the system seems primarily designed to be used with them.
I have no desire whatsoever to talk to my console. That's why I didn't get a Kinect. Nor it seems, do most people, given how many people opted to either trade in the Kinect before it was sold separately, and how many opted for the Kinectless console when they offered 2 SKU's. However, designing the dash around Kinect, and not bothering to make it usable with a controller, which is a valid input device is bad design, pure and simple. It has to work with both, and work well.

The amount of features missing at launch as well was astonishing. It was like someone took a look at the 360 dash and said "Well what if we didn't include any of that?"

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 am

Dante wrote:I have no desire whatsoever to talk to my console. That's why I didn't get a Kinect. Nor it seems, do most people.
You will do eventually, I'm sure. Voice control is a superb addition to the living room. Not long ago vast swathes of people were boldly predicting that they'd never have any desire to use their phones for anything other than texting and making calls.

Things move on and voice control isn't going away, certainly not with the advent of VR.

I walk into my living room, say 'Xbox on' and it switches on, switching on my TV and soundbar also. In seconds it's broadcasting live TV by default. I say 'Xbox watch BBC2' and it switches to BBC2 in a second. I say 'Xbox go to Netflix' at I'm at the Netflix homepage, 'Xbox watch Daredevil' and I'm streaming Daredevil. 'Xbox volume up' the soundbar turns itself up. 'Xbox pause' it pauses. All this and I've not touched any remote, I'm just sat eating my tea or whatever.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:45 am

I use voice control whenever I can. It's come on a hell of a long way.

Hell, I barely touch my phone nowadays, no need to, I can just speak into the microphone if I want it to do something, pretty much anything I can do with my fingers.

The ps4 uses voice recognition too. It's brilliant.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:05 am

I used it on my 360, hated it, punched myself in the dick and turned it off.

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 am

I've not experienced Microsofts version. But the android and playstation work really well with it. Could it be an accent it's struggling with?

Mancunian was born for voice control.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:09 pm

It certainly takes some getting used to in terms of getting your pitch and intonation right. You have to enunciate some things slightly differently to how you would do ordinarily, but it's just a matter of practice. After a week or so often trying out all the different commands you're set though, I'd say.

It's no different imo to one's first experience with a touchscreen phone. I got the LG Viewty upon release and that was one of the first fully touchscreen handsets available. For the first two weeks I just couldn't do it at all and thought I'd made a big mistake; this was never going to catch on! Suddenly it just clicked though (pun intended) and you don't look back.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:27 pm

If you're in a room with people talking do you have to quieten them down for the kinect to hear you?
Break up the Union.

“Physics is to maths what sex is to masturbation.”
― Richard P. Feynman.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee
Call Me: Daddy

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 pm

I use voice control on ps4 and never had a problem. Apparently adapts to your voice.
100% Top Red

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:I use voice control on ps4 and never had a problem. Apparently adapts to your voice.
I don't think either console recognises or adapts to your voice. It's not difficult to learn how to use the voice controls efficiently though so I can see how you'd get that impression. You learn how to use it rather than it learning how you speak.

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Adaptive voice recognition has been around for years, my phone had it 4 years ago. It does adapt to you.

I don't have a "talking to computer" voice, I just speak how I normally do. They're designed to get used to you.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:29 pm

I dunno, man, I've never read anything to suggest that the PS or Xbox does that. I'm not saying the technology isn't around, just that I don't think the consoles used it. The Xbox One certainly doesn't.

You'd see it in the settings, wouldn't you? You'd be able to reset or calibrate your voice profile in some way just as you can skeletal/facial recognition. They'd have been banging on about it loads on release also; they certainly banged on enough about everything else to do with Kinect.

Siri on iPhone is a different kettle of fish. When Cortana comes to Xbox in a month or two it might come with adaptive voice recognition, but as it stands I believe that neither PS4 or Xbox use such technology.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:43 pm

I suppose, and I'm only basing that off me not having to change my voice for it. Saying that, I don't have much of an accent so voice commands tend to just work for me regardless.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Ydrah.Tom wrote:I suppose, and I'm only basing that off me not having to change my voice for it. Saying that, I don't have much of an accent so voice commands tend to just work for me regardless.
i have a few friends with X1 with kinect. i was laughing that they are really trying so hard to use the voice recognition. almost a loud voice and kept on saying the word to no avail.

i have PS Camera but i'm not really into the voice recognition thing even on my iPhone nor Android

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 pm

I just say "playstation, play gta" into the headset as I sign in.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter
Call Me: Rob

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Mr. Iwata died yesterday (Nintendo President). RIP Iwata-san.

Return to “Members Lounge”